• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwixotik

Julian and I have been working on a year in review playlist and I finally decided to add some shit over the few past days, so check this out if you're trying to play catch or whatever - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEjZxgZG0_iGrohkeO7zzC9C4TprWiKBm
Cool playlist, thanks. Probably gonna listen to some of it after I finish this new Berserk.

Unrelated to anything: I guess I'm seeing Louis CK live tonight for free. Should be interesting. Never been to live stand up before.

bruh is it bad that i'm like
giphy.gif

to the rich chigga joint

riotous

Banned

ARK322

Neo Member
Savage Mode is pretty bad. Metro brought some nice instrumentals but 21 is just terrible. Dude is like a human sleep aid holy shit.

Hip Hop

For those that listen to The Drink Champs?

What are the top 3 shows currently?

I've heard snippets of the Fat Joe one, that seemed really good.

Going on a long trip so I'm gonna add these into the mix.

Always wanted to ask this. How would you rank the members from the Wu-Tang Clan, from least favorite to most favorite? Speaking as rappers, though.

10. Crappadonna
9. RZA
8. Masta Killah
7. Ol' Dirty Bastard
6. U-God
5. Method Man
4. Ghostface Killah
3. Raekwon
2. Inspectah Deck
1. GZA

I woudl actually put RZA higher, but he got worse and worse as he went on. He killed it on 36 Chambers though. It's a tough question for me; nobody except Cappadonna (who wasn't even in the group during their prime anyway) is sub-par.

HiResDes

Always wanted to ask this. How would you rank the members from the Wu-Tang Clan, from least favorite to most favorite? Speaking as rappers, though.

10. Crappadonna
9. RZA
8. Masta Killah
7. Ol' Dirty Bastard
6. U-God
5. Method Man
4. Ghostface Killah
3. Raekwon
2. Inspectah Deck
1. GZA

I woudl actually put RZA higher, but he got worse and worse as he went on. He killed it on 36 Chambers though. It's a tough question for me; nobody except Cappadonna (who wasn't even in the group during their prime anyway) is sub-par.
That's the worst, most nonsensical list I've ever seen that wasn't an obvious troll

Instead of making a list, I'd rather see you justify your U-God placement.

Sure.

I find U-God's deep delivery to be....eh, I'll probably put him at 8, but he's underrated. He doesn't have a defining characteristic of guys like Ghostface and GZA, though. Not a single member of the Wu Tang (aside Crappadonna) is sub par, although of course the solo releases of each member will vary. No member was able to make a Liquid Swords although some tried and mostly succeeded.

EDIT: Nah.

m3k

For those that listen to The Drink Champs?

What are the top 3 shows currently?

I've heard snippets of the Fat Joe one, that seemed really good.

Going on a long trip so I'm gonna add these into the mix.

i thought the first 3 were good enough to listen to... i skipped a few and listened to the tax stone and charlagmane the god one ... i liked it a lot

Hitta93

Banned
Is it possible for a album to feel outdated in less than 18 months?

I can't help but get that feeling with T&Y or I just fell for the hype.

Gaf-hop, you wanna hear about a rap album about love from 2 British white guys?

Great! Love the enthusiasm.

600x397xed_scissor_hb_230616.jpg.pagespeed.ic.8oB_i2oZJn.jpg

Pictured: Sweg

Ed Scissor and Lamplighter. I think it’s difficult to quickly and accurately explain their thing but if I had to I would describe it as “Radiohead raps”. Now, I don’t listen to nearly enough Radiohead to say whether that’s a very good description or not but as a quick and loose one I think it works well enough, with this album and there last EP at least, and it sounds cool, so yeah.

Londoner Ed (left) raps all the raps, Glaswegian Lamplighter produces all the beats. These two first came together on Ed’s 2012 debut album BETTER.LUCK.NEXT.LIFE which was entirely produced by Lamplighter. Ed’s lyricism is abstract, brooding, dark, heavy, sombre,depressive and all those other deep sounding words, and he found the perfect match in LL’s unconventional beats that fit most of the same descriptions whilst having their own distinguishable beauty, and I use the word beauty very deliberately. Their vibes combined and entwined so brilliantly on that first album that even though it was only Ed’s name on the album cover, I instantly considered them a pair, and if the next Ed Scissor album wasn’t entirely produced by LL again I would not be a very happy chappy.

4 years and 3 EP's of progress and refinement between them later, a slight tweak to the name and an even sharper turn into the left field and we here.

Ed Scissor and Lamplighter – Tell Them it’s Winter

Album 2, 10 tracks,1 hour, no features. Tell them it’s Winter ruminates over life-and-lust-and-love before settling on the notion that every human being is on the hunt for the same thing. Ed’s rapping has developed into a sort of spoken word style that better accentuates his voice and vibe over the last few years and Lamplighters beats have gone to completely new levels. Ed describes them as being cinematic and filmic given they have their own emotional beats and clear beginnings, middles and ends and he’s bang on. He always lets them set the mood for a good 30 seconds before coming in on them, but rather than listen to me chat bollocks forever, you can listen to Ed talk about the album/love/his song writing and LL’s beats himself here

One or two choice quotes...
Even the soppiest love songs like the Celine Dions and the Bryan Adams’ and the 80’s power ballads, y’know, the mum music of this world..that’s my shit when it really comes down to songwriting. Those powerful songs that are about ‘you and i’ and ‘where did you go?’ and ‘I miss you’ and ‘You complete me’ and all that type of shit.”.

There's not much joy on the album.
Quite..

You can also read an excellent interview with Lamplighter here

LL on his beats and electronic influences..
“I wonder what the somber soundscapes were influenced by. 'I think there's two sides to this. I grew up in Aberdeen in the North East of Scotland, and it's the greyest, rainiest place you've ever seen, and there's definitely an element of wanting to mirror that. It felt right to be making music like that. The other side is that I didn't grow up just listening to hip-hop, I listened to a lot of electronic music. That always had a darker vibe. The beats that I make, the influence always came from hip-hop, but the emotional side of it, the emotion that I try to stir in people, came from electronic music. Early Warp records and things like that. It's the two sides coming together I think”

I suppose it would be good idea to get round to actual music at some point, so here are the singles in order of release and Ed’s description of them.
TTIW
I wanted to write a song that was timeless in the sense that the protagonist could be alone in either the 1750s, 2150s, or 2016. I’ve tried this a few times before with varying success... Lamplighter’s production is always filmic and on "TTIW" he excelled himself, tying together psychedelic rock influences in the form of a plaintive guitar refrain and resonant analog sounds speaking to a retro-futurist angle.

Many Made One
I met the love of my life at a doomed music festival in London’s docklands. This song recalls the moment we met and how I felt in the days after. It really is as simple as that, and from experience, simple is always the best way to close a body of work.

Hyperballad
This was the last song we wrote to finish off the LP. It is my best attempt of articulating the neverending spectrum of life and love that spins endlessly throughout time, down every street, in every home, pub, park, college, club and country. In this respect, the song truly is inspired by everyone and everything. Lamplighter wears his more traditional hip hop roots on his sleeve on our new single, he still treads an introspective tone expertly here.

Weeks
This song is about the cyclical nature of one night stands. More than just the typical one night, "Week" is inspired by my tendency of spending one week with a girl, literally co¬existing with them for a full seven days before disappearing from their lives forever. Don't ask me why.

Descriptions for the other tracks on the album.

I had stupidly high expectations for this and i've had it on constanlty since yesterday. It's fair to say they've matched them at least, as much as I knew LL would kill it I was perhaps more impressed that Ed has managed to match him with every step, i think having more identifiable themes and relatable topics has helped in this regard, tracks like “Light Round Here” prove beyond any doubt he’s one of the best lyricists around right now. So dim the lights and give it a rinse, because this is peak experimental hip-hop rightchea.

Bacon

Is it possible for a album to feel outdated in less than 18 months?

I can't help but get that feeling with T&Y or I just fell for the hype.

That thing felt dated to me like a month later. I definitely enjoyed it for about a week but yeah fell out of love with it real quick.

HiResDes

This any good? I've not heard his stuff before.

Oh yeah, how did that Banks & Steelz turn out? That was the new RZA project.

EDIT: My mistake, it's not out yet. But I think there's a single out called Giant.

You never heard Young Jefe 1, you fucking up.

Also this shit dropped:

Really feeling some retail some stuff too including Clams' 32 Levels, Polyester the Saint's American Muscle, Nolan the Ninja, and Dreezy's No Hard Feelings

...21 Savage got some ridiculous beats and didn't shit with them, sound like a lazier less stylish version of Key!, just an easily marketable no talent copycat.

That moment when the page post count saves your eyes, ears & life 🙏🏼

10. Crappadonna
9. RZA
8. Masta Killah
7. Ol' Dirty Bastard
6. U-God
5. Method Man
4. Ghostface Killah
3. Raekwon
2. Inspectah Deck
1. GZA

Always wanted to ask this. What's with your obsession with ranking shit? Honest question.

Ninja Dom

Fakeknowledge, that's good enough for me.

Downloading now. It's on Apple Music which is good for me. Apple Music calls it "Alternative Rap".

mooooose

ghost
rza
rae
gza
meth
cappa
deck
odb
ugod
masta

rza is really underrated, he's hilarious. cappa gets too much hate. odb is great too and him being so low isnt a slight but a testament to the rest

Yes Dom. Something different, can't hurt to check it out.

That moment when the page post count saves your eyes, ears & life ����
Or so you'd think lol, and how would you know that unless you saw it?
ohhh.png

Far too good a post to be stuck at the bottom of the page anyway so here it is again for the lads.
Gaf-hop, you wanna hear about a rap album about love from 2 British white guys?

Great! Love the enthusiasm.

600x397xed_scissor_hb_230616.jpg.pagespeed.ic.8oB_i2oZJn.jpg

Pictured: Sweg

Ed Scissor and Lamplighter. I think it’s difficult to quickly and accurately explain their thing but if I had to I would describe it as “Radiohead raps”. Now, I don’t listen to nearly enough Radiohead to say whether that’s a very good description or not but as a quick and loose one I think it works well enough, with this album and there last EP at least, and it sounds cool, so yeah.

Londoner Ed (left) raps all the raps, Glaswegian Lamplighter produces all the beats. These two first came together on Ed’s 2012 debut album BETTER.LUCK.NEXT.LIFE which was entirely produced by Lamplighter. Ed’s lyricism is abstract, brooding, dark, heavy, sombre,depressive and all those other deep sounding words, and he found the perfect match in LL’s unconventional beats that fit most of the same descriptions whilst having their own distinguishable beauty, and I use the word beauty very deliberately. Their vibes combined and entwined so brilliantly on that first album that even though it was only Ed’s name on the album cover, I instantly considered them a pair, and if the next Ed Scissor album wasn’t entirely produced by LL again I would not be a very happy chappy.

4 years and 3 EP's of progress and refinement between them later, a slight tweak to the name and an even sharper turn into the left field and we here.

Ed Scissor and Lamplighter – Tell Them it’s Winter

Album 2, 10 tracks,1 hour, no features. Tell them it’s Winter ruminates over life-and-lust-and-love before settling on the notion that every human being is on the hunt for the same thing. Ed’s rapping has developed into a sort of spoken word style that better accentuates his voice and vibe over the last few years and Lamplighters beats have gone to completely new levels. Ed describes them as being cinematic and filmic given they have their own emotional beats and clear beginnings, middles and ends and he’s bang on. He always lets them set the mood for a good 30 seconds before coming in on them, but rather than listen to me chat bollocks forever, you can listen to Ed talk about the album/love/his song writing and LL’s beats himself here

One or two choice quotes...

Quite..

You can also read an excellent interview with Lamplighter here

LL on his beats and electronic influences..

I suppose it would be good idea to get round to actual music at some point, so here are the singles in order of release and Ed’s description of them.
TTIW

Many Made One

Hyperballad

Weeks

Descriptions for the other tracks on the album.

I had stupidly high expectations for this and i've had it on constanlty since yesterday. It's fair to say they've matched them at least, as much as I knew LL would kill it I was perhaps more impressed that Ed has managed to match him with every step, i think having more identifiable themes and relatable topics has helped in this regard, tracks like “Light Round Here” prove beyond any doubt he’s one of the best lyricists around right now. So dim the lights and give it a rinse, because this is peak experimental hip-hop rightchea.

wheeeeeeeeeeew
LmGYG.gif

That moment when the page post count saves your eyes, ears & life ����

Always wanted to ask this. What's with your obsession with ranking shit? Honest question.

Sure!

Lists to me are fun because I love simply knowing about others favorites and preferences, but I guess people tend to not realize how benign my attitude is towards most of the stuff I like and how relaxed I am about others opinions. You do realize how little of a quality gap there is regarding each Wu Tang member for me, right?

ghost
rza
rae
gza
meth
cappa
deck
odb
ugod
masta

rza is really underrated, he's hilarious. cappa gets too much hate. odb is great too and him being so low isnt a slight but a testament to the rest

For that matter, if you were to ask me this question a while ago when I first discovered 36 Chambers, RZA was near the top. He definitely killed every verse on that album. Oddly enough, I think GZA was one of my least favorites going by that album....until I heard Liquid Swords. I think the tone of that album didn't really give him the chance to REALLY show why's he elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom