• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Blu lately is sounding the best he has in years. It's great to see. These beats are kinda eh though.

I wish he would go back to working with guys like Exile and Knxledge, but I think he got bored of using soul / jazz beats.

Obligatory "he should pair up with Madlib" comment here!

Madlib's far more diverse than one might think at first glance, and I think he could bring something really interesting if he's willing to divulge a bit. Still makes me giddy thinking about how he used Gentle Giant and Goblin songs on two of his production songs.

Helmholtz

Really liking the production on the savage. Not a great rapper but I feel like metro is a good fit there.
Clams is alright, gets worse as it goes.

HiResDes

Really liking the production on the savage. Not a great rapper but I feel like metro is a good fit there.
Clams is alright, gets worse as it goes.
I agree the more I listen to it. Really feeling this Dreezy chick though surprise of the year for me, never heard of

speaking of Madlib, I pray to God Gibbs didnt rape nobody so they can get Bandanna out this year

+1. Was listening to Pinata just yesterday, and it's more revealing with every listen. I also think Gibbs' subject matter allows for Madlib to get a bit more creative, though the Soul and Jazz samples are still prevalent.

Saw Clams last night, He brought out Vince for a few songs. Dope set but it was way way way too short. Also you can tell clams isn't very comfortable on stage he looked worried the entire time.

9jPJnQX.jpg

IrishNinja

Bones, August 5th. Hoping it's a another solo album.

I forgot Roc Marciano was dropping soon-ish too. What a time to be etc. etc.

ah that's not even far off - any promo stuff out yet?

Always wanted to ask this. How would you rank the members from the Wu-Tang Clan, from least favorite to most favorite? Speaking as rappers, though.

10. Crappadonna
9. RZA
8. Masta Killah
7. Ol' Dirty Bastard
6. U-God
5. Method Man
4. Ghostface Killah
3. Raekwon
2. Inspectah Deck
1. GZA

I woudl actually put RZA higher, but he got worse and worse as he went on. He killed it on 36 Chambers though. It's a tough question for me; nobody except Cappadonna (who wasn't even in the group during their prime anyway) is sub-par.

not a big cap fan but the pillage is legit
and this is always trick for me:

- GZA put out arguably one of the finest solo joints, but follow-ups weren't on that level
- Mef is prolly my favorite MC from the group (just love his shit & many guest spots, i always enjoy em) but even as a Tical defender on here, he's not got the best body of work....Blackout! stays a highlight, and i love 2000 judgment or whaever
- Ghost is hands-down the most consistent but his last few themed albums have resonated less, really hoping for a return with SC2

Deck is still one of my favorites for opening clan joints, and Uncontrolled Substances highly underrated. ODB likewise had 1 classic (as a clan album) and some mixed stuff, same with Masta Killah

Instead of making a list, I'd rather see you justify your U-God placement.

the GOAT! shouts to blackace

Old school Brand Nubian fans? Sadat X just released a new solo.

ehhh ill wait on impressions

rza is really underrated, he's hilarious.

BITCH TO BE A NURSE YOU GOTTA GO TO SCHOOL FIRST

ah that's not even far off - any promo stuff out yet?

not a big cap fan but the pillage is legit
and this is always trick for me:

- GZA put out arguably one of the finest solo joints, but follow-ups weren't on that level
- Mef is prolly my favorite MC from the group (just love his shit & many guest spots, i always enjoy em) but even as a Tical defender on here, he's not got the best body of work....Blackout! stays a highlight, and i love 2000 judgment or whaever
- Ghost is hands-down the most consistent but his last few themed albums have resonated less, really hoping for a return with SC2

Deck is still one of my favorites for opening clan joints, and Uncontrolled Substances highly underrated. ODB likewise had 1 classic (as a clan album) and some mixed stuff, same with Masta Killah

Yeah, the level of quality and the way that the members really falter or stand out is all over the place, and it's confusing as hell to trying to mentally develop a consensus for each member. Kind of a shame that Deck has never really released a classic solo album, but he steals the show on almost every Wu Tang song and crushes guest verses.

I just wonder what would of happened if U-God got more verses on 36 Chambers, because his one verse is bad ass. Masta Killa's verse I've probably played over and over again until I memorized it.

IrishNinja

No Said Date was fantastic, cause of it being kinda a clan joint too - ugodzilla and didnt deck lose his original shit like meth in the great RZA flood?

Koozek

LOOOL@Savage Mode. Must be the wackest rapper I've heard in a long time. Why the hell was he in the current Freshman class? Lil Yachti, Kodak Black, Lil Uzi Vert, Denzel Curry & Co. all had solid to dope tapes.

No Said Date was fantastic, cause of it being kinda a clan joint too - ugodzilla and didnt deck lose his original shit like meth in the great RZA flood?

Ah yeah, I should get to that sometime. The features sound great, too.

On another note, is there a way to get the Madlib +Talib Kweli collaboration free? Stone Throw records released it for free....I'm guessing it's too late.

Koozek

Ah yeah, I should get to that sometime. The features sound great, too.

On another note, is there a way to get the Madlib +Talib Kweli collaboration free? Stone Throw records released it for free....I'm guessing it's too late.

Wait, you mean that Liberation one from back in the days? I won't be listening to Talib in 2016, but that tape had some nice tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTcbLR4mxfU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JrgwWtfb14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jj0FE6AWV8

Wait, you mean that Liberation one from back in the days? I won't be listening to Talib in 2016, but that tape had some nice tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTcbLR4mxfU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JrgwWtfb14
[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jj0FE6AWV8[/url]

Yup, that's the one. I don't have too high expectations for it but it's an intriguing album. Honestly I'm not the biggest Talib Kweli fan either, as I'm not a fan of his delivery.

Anyway, looking for hilarious rap songs with good humor and funny lyrics. What are the funniest rap songs you've guys have heard?

2016 First Week Numbers

Drake - 852k
Kendrick Lamar - 142k
Future - 100k
Kevin Gates - 93k

Schoolboy Q - 52k

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - 51k
Wiz Khalifa - 45k
Yo Gotti - 45k
Big Sean & Jhene Aiko - 40k
2 Chainz - 34k
YG - 28k
Bas - 8k
Snoop Dogg - 8k
-------

Wow major fall off for Q from Oxy (139k) to this (51k). I'd imagine the shootings played a role since they completely threw off the marketing. But ultimately it's another case of a TDE artist waiting too long and losing hype, fans flock elsewhere, etc.

Syntsui

2016 First Week Numbers

Drake - 852k
Kendrick Lamar - 142k
Future - 100k
Kevin Gates - 93k

Schoolboy Q - 52k

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - 51k
Wiz Khalifa - 45k
Yo Gotti - 45k
Big Sean & Jhene Aiko - 40k
2 Chainz - 34k
YG - 28k
Bas - 8k
Snoop Dogg - 8k
-------

Wow major fall off for Q from Oxy (139k) to this (51k). I'd imagine the shootings played a role since they completely threw off the marketing. But ultimately it's another case of a TDE artist waiting too long and losing hype, fans flock elsewhere, etc.
Awful numbers all around, Drake and B-Side Kendrick project aside.

m3k

serious question why is ugod clowned on... cant say i rate him but he had some shit going on occaisionally

ive seen how the other clan members have spoken to him so i know of that

i rated cap lyrics the worst when i was younger but his top bars are crazy... winter warz bars obamaphew.jpg, made my cappadonna hate stop

Eos

gates is trash

woat hook might actually belong to u-god
serious question why is ugod clowned on... cant say i rate him but he had some shit going on occaisionally

ive seen how the other clan members have spoken to him so i know of that

i rated cap lyrics the worst when i was younger but his top bars are crazy... winter warz bars obamaphew.jpg, made my cappadonna hate stop
when you're in a group with people like ghostface, raekwon, method man, deck, etc. somebody gotta be the worst member and that's u-god

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Always wanted to ask this. What's with your obsession with ranking shit? Honest question.

Kadal Shqipe, we know the reason and it's not because he's interested in everyone's opinion.

For the record I don't see how one can rank one of the original Wu members in a list when so many factors come into play like influence and fanboyism.

Kadal Shqipe, we know the reason and it's not because he's interested in everyone's opinion.

For the record I don't see how one can rank one of the original Wu members in a list when so many factors come into play like influence and fanboyism.

This is exactly the fucking reason, breh. Discussions in regards to favorites are EASILY my all time favorite conversations, next with ranking artists and albums. Derek needs to get cracking on more album rankings. And the more the merrier when it comes to replies. I love reading threads on favorite Rap albums and verses on NeoGAF; shame they don't always last long.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
This is exactly the fucking reason, breh. Discussions in regards to favorites are EASILY my all time favorite conversations, next with ranking artists and albums. Derek needs to get cracking on more album rankings. And the more the merrier wen it comes to replies. I love reading threads on favorite Rap albums and verses on NeoGAF; shame they don't always last long.

Out of town (or in town) writer in Los Angeles constantly asking for lists from hip hop fans?

How much they pay your hipster ass hah

Killer Mike that dude hah

Out of town (or in town) writer in Los Angeles constantly asking for lists from hip hop fans?

How much they pay your hipster ass?

Killer Mike that dude hah

What on earth are you talking about? I'm not getting paid anything. I don't even live in LA right now (I'm from Arizona which has absolutely no Hip Hop scene whatsoever), and I've never been a journalist for music.

I also have no idea what constitutes me as a "hipster", either.

Ninja Dom

ghost
rza
rae
gza
meth
cappa
deck
odb
ugod
masta

rza is really underrated, he's hilarious. cappa gets too much hate. odb is great too and him being so low isnt a slight but a testament to the rest

For me RZA is incredible. His high points have been ultra high. The first Bobby Digital album is a classic for me. I'm def gonna cop his new album, Banks & Steelz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom