• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Collard Greens, it's one of the few tracks I go back to on Oxy.

Blank Face is definitely way better than Oxy. Don't know why y'all put so much stock in Fantano's reviews, though. He doesn't really affect me strongly either way.

I think Fantano is entertaining and is a good writer, but the only thing I don't like is when he reviews genres and groups he doesn't like again and again. It's like....dude, just move on.

And yeah, Collard Greens is a great song, definitely one of my favorites off of Oxy.

Vorheez

caught before the edit
Yeah, you got it.

But I don't consider the sound monotone, because if Still Brazy is "monotone" for using a consistent sound of g-funk throughout and trying to capture a west coast vibe, then would Illmatic not be monotone for selling the New York sound and carrying that vibe throughout? What about The Chronic? Even recent releases like DS2 are great because it maintains a similar "monotone" sound. The presentation of the music as a whole is *consistent.

Blank Face would have benefited greatly from sticking to one idea and maintaining it throughout. Venture off to experiment a little, obviously, but don't flip it on its head and create these extreme changes in the presentation of the music. Stick to your sound. As Fantano said, he raps from all these different perspectives, when his own perspective is far more interesting (like YG).

I guess this is the only racial slur allowed on GAF

tumblr_msqif4TpUt1rmhuhso4_r2_400.gif

Hitta93

Banned
I think Fantano is entertaining and is a good writer, but the only thing I don't like is when he reviews genres and groups he doesn't like again and again. It's like....dude, just move on.

And yeah, Collard Greens is a great song, definitely one of my favorites off of Oxy.

Bolded 100%. Then he tries to save face with a good review later from that same artist.

Exodust

Banned
Bolded 100%. Then he tries to save face with a good review later from that same artist.

Have you guys ever encountered critics or so called "youtube personalities" before?

They always do that. Whether it's to cater to a fanbase who likes them shitting on something or they legitimately want to give each record a chance is debatable. But reviewing something and not liking it doesn't really do much to change anything. It's the Roger Ebert effect, where most of it is consumed as entertainment first and as criticism second.

Courage

What narrative is that? I made similar complaints a few pages ago about how the album is a mess, with wild ups and downs, and no consistency throughout. Even just a simple rearrangement of the tracklist and a few songs cut would make it a better album.

It doesn't have to be a tidy narrative tying everything together like TPAB, but there's definitely coherence in its production and themes; it's a dark, gangsta rap album throughout its entirety It's not that different from Oxymoron, which Fantano weirdly likes. This also has forced crossover tracks (Overtime, Whateva U Want), a shitty Tyler track, but other than that it's got much more interesting production, catchier hooks, and even though it's almost 15 minutes longer, Groovy Tony/Eddie Kane is the only track spanning 6 minutes vs. Oxymoron's Prescription/Oxymoron, Hoover Street, Break the Bank, and I think the former completely warrants that length, while the other three are boring as hell. Maybe it's because we got this after Oxymoron, but it's definitely a better constructed album, while also getting the sense that Q had more creative freedom.

I've heard Collard Greens maybe three times. Really don't like anything about it from the beat to the sing-song hook.

Oxy has a lot of good songs, the problem is that it has some huge misses and doesn't feel cohesive at all. But the dope tracks like Man Of The Year, Blind Threats, Hoover St (especially the second part), etc.

Blankfire is better in every way. Production, lyrics, guests, etc. There's not a song on Blankface that is as bad as Collard Greens or Los Awesome.

HiResDes

You don't have to have a strict narrative to make a good album. Cohesion comes in more forms than Anthony seems to perceive. Anthony's writing really isn't all that either, he's one note and really hypocritical at an alarming rate. Just watch his review of Days Before Rodeo and then his review of Dirty Sprite 2 to know all you need to know about the loser. Oh and he supports a misogynist anti SJW podcast so he can fuck right off.

riotous

Banned
Hoover St., Studio, Blind Threats, Hell of a Night, Man of the Year... all bangers to me.. Didn't dislike Prescription, Break the Bank, What they Want, The Purge, Grooveline, Fuck LA.. Oxymoron was a decent as fuck album to me.

HiResDes

Hoover St., Studio, Blind Threats, Hell of a Night, Man of the Year... all bangers to me.. Didn't dislike Prescription, Break the Bank, What they Want, The Purge, Grooveline, Fuck LA.. Oxymoron was a decent as fuck album to me.
Hell of a Night is horrendous breh, God awful track. Studio is aight at first but not very replayable imo

Blankfire is better in every way. Production, lyrics, guests, etc. There's not a song on Blankface that is as bad as Collard Greens or Los Awesome.

Agreed completely. Collard Green and Los Awesome are grating tracks imo. Nothing on Blank Face annoys me like they do. Aside from Break The Bank and occasionally Prescription/Oxy, I never revisit that album. Blank Face is much stronger.

And I don't know why anyone's on this consistency or cohesive thing when all of Q's projects have wild swings from dark to glossy and everything in between with not a lot of strong sequencing or narrative thrust to speak of.

HiResDes

If ya'll like smooth west coast shit like Payroll Giovanni you should really do yourself a favor and check out Polyester the Saint's American Muscle

T Dollarz

Flashback to the night that Habits & Contradictions dropped and I just threw it on my phone, got in my car and drove around for an hour smoking a blunt. As soon as the album ended went home and started it again on headphones. Good times.

I never agreed with Oxymoron being flat out garbage. To me it was disappointing that it wasn't better, but it was still decent. A few weak tracks, a few truly standout tracks, and the rest are solid. Went to the Milwaukee show on his tour which was really fucking hype, picked up a T-shirt.

Habits & Contradictions > Blank Face >> Setbacks >>> Oxymoron

HnC and Blank Face are 9s, Setbacks an 8, Oxy 7

Dereck

I rate Blank Face somewhere around Habits but Habits still really has zero skippable tracks which is something I can't say for Blank Face or Oxymoron. I only liked about three tracks from Oxymoron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom