• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
You grew up. No self respecting adult is going around bumping shit like "The Real Slim Shady" anymore.

Shame we were too young to grasp the tragic irony of him creating music for the same target demographic of the popstars he constantly attacked.

Why would listening to this song make you a less self respecting adult?

HiResDes

Eminem is a great technician and feature killer but his albums have mostly aged like dogshit due to their dated references and try hard teen angst

HiiiLife

Why would listening to this song make you a less self respecting adult?

Breh you know good and well the hip hop community refuses to acknowledge Drake fans as men because his simpy music and his lack of being "real".

Have you not seen the amount of shit talking 6God followers got after Budden chased down those kids?

These stigmas don't discriminate. Lol.

Be your angst self and listen to Marshall not giving a fuck. Own it lmao.

Breh you know good and well the hip hop community refuses to acknowledge Drake fans as men because his simpy music and his lack of being "real".

Have you not seen the amount of shit talking 6God followers got after Budden chased down those kids?

These stigmas don't discriminate. Lol.

Be your angst self and listen to Marshall not giving a fuck. Own it lmao.

This is a weird discussion. Why would loving Drake make you less of a man?

*Shakes head*

I don't know, music fandom is indeed strange. I don't have much angst in my life, either. Nor do I rub off my problems on others, not me at all.

Dereck

Eminem is a great technician and feature killer but his albums have mostly aged like dogshit due to their dated references and try hard teen angst
CB3ZLja.gif

illadelph

Ehhh, dated references are kind of a weird thing for me. I actually like them; they sort of contribute to the setting of the song. When lyrics bring up what was relevant during the time they were written, they help establish a spot on the historical timeline, allowing you to know what was going on back then.

I remember some historian discussing in an article about how hip-hop is one of the greatest modern assets to historical studies due to the dense, plentiful lyrics that reference every little thing about culture and society at the time of the music's creation. Eminem jokingly dissing Fred Durst, Brittney Spears, and other artists may be corny to some, but it gives the future listeners a broader perspective of the music industry of the time. His mentions of Columbine, defending Marilyn Manson, and his battles with the conservative media frame a picture of the current events and controversies of the day.

To me, it is an asset. Even going back and listening to Busy Bee ask the crowd what their favorite brand of jeans are, and then hearing a packed house yell out different shit...that's dope to me. It educates me that that sort of shit was more culturally important back then.

Ehhh, dated references are kind of a weird thing for me. I actually like them; they sort of contribute to the setting of the song. When lyrics bring up what was relevant during the time they were written, they help establish a spot on the historical timeline, allowing you to know what was going on back then.

I remember some historian discussing in an article about how hip-hop is one of the greatest modern assets to historical studies due to the dense, plentiful lyrics that reference every little thing about culture and society at the time of the music's creation. Eminem jokingly dissing Fred Durst, Brittney Spears, and other artists may be corny to some, but it gives the future listeners a broader perspective of the music industry of the time. His mentions of Columbine, defending Marilyn Manson, and his battles with the conservative media frame a picture of the current events and controversies of the day.

To me, it is an asset. Even going back and listening to Busy Bee ask the crowd what their favorite brand of jeans are, and then hearing a packed house yell out different shit...that's dope to me. It educates me that that sort of shit was more culturally important back then.

This is very well said. And who gives a shit if the references are from a certain time? The themes are still there, and the themes can be applied to 2016 as much as they can now.

There's a difference between classic references and dated references.

True in regards to Biggie, LOL.

I do like the line following up, though. My parents had one of those fucking awful blocky big screen TVs. Really bad televisions, and took up an insane amount of room. Just terrible all around.

Eminem and Fred Durst have a lot in common though...

Meh. Despite varying opinions on Eminem, there's no doubt that he gets more reverence and respect than Limp Bizkit. Eminem still makes lists on being one of the best rappers ever and MMLP even made Time's Top 100 Best albums of all time. Limp Bizkit is despised by almost everybody. Not to mention that it's the single most hated band by Metal Heads. No way they are on the same level.

I feel exactly the same way, I don't see how Eminem being upset he's sitting next to Brittney is that different from outdated car references from Jay-Z or Biggie talking about Coogie sweaters & Nintendo.

BlackJace

I'm really starting to come around on Everybody Looking.
It's nice to hear Gucci now that he's starting to take it easy with the drugs and booze.

I'm watching the Gucci Mane Breakfast Club right now. Isn't this guy a real drug dealer or something?

I'm not a fan of his music, but I'm curious as to why this guy seems to command more respect due to the risk of pissing him off.

Eos

sslp and mmlp aged soooo badly. i can't believe i actually listened to these albums when i was younger, shit just makes me cringe now.
eminem show will always be his best album

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Andrew Korenchkin is right though.

Eminem is the Jackson Pollock of rap. That shit wouldn't work today, but it doesn't mean it's any less genius.

Jackson Pollock is a genius.

Andrew Korenchkin is right though.

Eminem is the Jackson Pollock of rap. That shit wouldn't work today, but it doesn't mean it's any less genius.

Eh, that's a weird comparison, but I completely agree his work is timeless.

Out at dude asking if rapping the n word is okay for white people at concerts lol. OT rap threads are funny haha.

Oh yeah, that was totwleft out of field.

FZZ

Banned
Travis is dropping boys

I didn't have a Venusaur run away from me on Pokemon GO for nothing

Takes an L to get the W

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
wait, Travis is dropping today? Lmao who gives a fuck about Frank Ocean when we bout to get another AotY contender.

2 Chainz - Daniel Son Necklace Don mixtape. Neat production on the Drake single, but the song overall is pretty trash so I think I'm going to skip it.

Swizz Beatz & A$AP Rocky tour through the Bronx ahead of Bacardi and Swizz' No Commission art exhibit.

French Montana ft. A$AP Rocky - Said N Done. It's okay.

Lil Durk - Super Powers video. YouTube started autoplaying dude's album and it didn't sound that bad?

Fat Joe, Remy Ma, French Montana & RySoValid - Cookin'. I fuck with this beat heavy.

Dreezy ft. Gucci Mane - We Gon' Ride video.

DJ Snake ft. Swizz Beatz, Jeremih & Young Thug - The Half. Probably the best Jeremih thing this year.

DJ Snake ft. Travi$ Scott, Quavo & G4shi - Oh Me Oh My. It's okay, not as good as Oh My Dis Side. Kinda dig the vibe.

A-Trak & Tommy Trash - Lose My Mind.

This is pretty cool, The Roots did a song called Bittersweet for Stella Artois, with two different styles of production (Bitter and Sweet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom