• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
eminem show is his best album

mmlp and sslp are still amazing though yall trippin

It's hard to realize that Eminem for me honestly hasn't made a good album since the Eminem show for me, either. He became more of a singles person for me come Recovery. Encore and Relapse were both trash for me, and Eminem is my all time favorite rapper.

HiResDes

I think the three albums y'all are talking about are all decent, especially Eminem Show, but the talks of greatest rapper ever and the constant comparisons and attention he receives gets a bit tiresome especially when you turn around and act like someone like Hov doesn't have around five albums that are better than Ems best.

The comparison to Durst isn't that far off base in terms of their styles and forced irreverence. They also spawned clones and a niche that pretty much stained their respective genres forever. Products of rebellious teens encompassing a greater percentage of suburban whites who had a hard time relating to usual subject matter of rap and empathizing with the black struggle and subjugation, but desiring to take part in the angst despite this

E-phonk

Banned
Some self promo, also posted this on popgaf because we lean somewhere in between, but we have a new single out
http://coely.lnk.to/dontcare

To give some reference: we played european support shows for kendrick, kanye, nas, de la soul, snoop, mos def etc
Feel free to let me know what you think!

What's funny?
Are you implying Jay isn't certified or just laughing at the harmless part?
(Not addressed towards you)
Honestly it's funny how much shit Jay gets compared to other legends like Biggie,Pac, Cube, and Nas, and how people want to make his pre rap history into all a lie and take credit for his success away from him, when most of that's bullshit, all because Jay doesn't fit the image people want artists to have.

QHY0jnla.jpg

This new Giggs album is fire, i'd only shave 2-3 tracks at most. It ends quite poorly though, The New Shit is an odd choice for an album closer. It wouldn't really fit lyrically but the vibe of the Intro would fit better as a closer.

Was looking forward to the tracks with CASISDEAD mostly and they fully deliver on 501, absolute banger, they both fucking murder that track. Slightly disappointed with the second track together just cuz i'm not too keen on that beat, they all kill it though.

Track with Stormzy is fire as well.

Koozek

I always mix up Tech N9ne with Immortal Technique, who btw is guest on the new Brilliant Idiots episode:
https://soundcloud.com/thebrilliantidiots/hollywood-driveby-w-immotal-technique

Can't wait to hear the new Frank, but man, all the Apple exclusive these days are annoying as hell.

Oh, and new Travis, right. Let's see... somehow Rodeo didn't leave as much of an impression on me as Days Before. I completely forgot it released last year, even though I listened to it for 2 weeks or so on daily rotation. Maria was bliss, though.

Nabs

I mess with Not Nice, but it's a bit on the boring side. It doesn't do much over the 3 minutes. Shame, Ram is the real Saugod now.

Cudder

[NEWS] Friday august 5th at 2 p.m. PST Bones will be up for pre-order at www.dirtydecibelsrecords.com. The early digital release will come to those who pre-order via Bandcamp soon thereafter, followed by availability on all digital outlets on August 12th. Bones is a 32+ track instrumental project in the vein of Excrementals Volumes 1-5 but curated & sequenced for a more enjoyable listening experience. Containing previously unreleased instrumentals from Strange Journey Volume 3, To Dust & more as well as some brand new material, Bones will be available on super limited edition CD, tape & 2XLP electric blue & white haze vinyl -

Slightly disappointed it's an instrumental album.

Here's another clip

Koozek

New Kno album coming, the Ambien industry in panic.

EDIT: Wait. I meant someone else. What was that rapper making really sleep-inducing, monotonous stuff (with dope atmospheric production, though) that Gaf-Hop loved so much last year?

EDIT2: Ah, it was Ka (Dr. Yen Lo).

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Where's Travis and Frank new albums?
Just throw them in my face already!

EDIT: Wait. I meant someone else. What was that rapper making really sleep-inducing, monotonous stuff (with dope atmospheric production, though) that Gaf-Hop loved so much last year?

Ka

fake edit: oh you got him

HiiiLife

Where's Travis and Frank new albums?
Just throw them in my face already!

The million dollar question.

As "excited" as I am for this Ocean album I don't think hype will ever reach levels GKMC did for me. Threads were fucking ridiculous anticipating that shit. The reactions when it leaked. I swear I was checking for the fucking thing online every night. Damn son.

Dereck

EDIT2: Ah, it was Ka (Dr. Yen Lo).
That reminds me, I recently read a review of The Night's Gambit and it really caught my attention.

I don't want to spend a lot of time writing about KA because if I do, inevitably I'm just going to get angry and think even less of this album than I currently do. KA comes from the Roc Marciano school of bitter late-90s rappers who failed to carve a lane for themselves initially and are now content to sit alone in their dingy apartments, a multitude of blunts rolled up beside the keyboard as they toil away on their Acid Pro programs making beats for themselves because fuck everyone else who doubted them. The result is an aesthetic that's certainly ripe for mythmaking; beats so minimal you can hardly believe they exist, samples straight from the RZA's "to be used later" folder on an old Windows 98 hard drive he's long since forgotten about, rhymes so low key you can just feel the bitterness. If listeners refused to care about KA, KA would refuse to care about them in kind.

For some, this is undoubtedly a perfect hip-hop aesthetic. But to me? Much like Marciano KA's pursuit of identity has led him into a grey zone where nothing clings, it just floats and drifts in an endless nothingness (perhaps he blew his entire budget on that "Black Sabbath" sample). The Night's Gambit's sole distinguishing quality appears to be the enthusiasm with which it pursues being dislikable. This boom bap as cloud rap thing doesn't seem to be taking off outside of a very select group of jilted '90s NYC spitters; I think it's for very good reasons. I'm sure KA's happy to have found an audience after 20 years of local obscurity (maybe he has a legendary radio freestyle stashed away on a Red Alert mixtape somewhere) but to my ears his music is mostly one big middle finger to anyone who's trying to engage it, or simply stay awake as it plays.

And yes, I do see the irony in liking "Soap Box" more than most cuts here. I'm not sure if a whole LP of "Peace Ahki" would've been a success, but that's definitely the kind of track KA should be making if he's going down this road. Spoken word ambient street poetry. When he pretends he's making a rap album, which is the rest of the time, something just doesn't click. If Earl's Doris threatens to put you in a coma, steer far, far clear of The Night's Gambit.

https://rateyourmusic.com/review?id=55425267

Koozek

That reminds me, I recently read a review of The Night's Gambit and it really caught my attention.

I don't want to spend a lot of time writing about KA because if I do, inevitably I'm just going to get angry and think even less of this album than I currently do. KA comes from the Roc Marciano school of bitter late-90s rappers who failed to carve a lane for themselves initially and are now content to sit alone in their dingy apartments, a multitude of blunts rolled up beside the keyboard as they toil away on their Acid Pro programs making beats for themselves because fuck everyone else who doubted them. The result is an aesthetic that's certainly ripe for mythmaking; beats so minimal you can hardly believe they exist, samples straight from the RZA's "to be used later" folder on an old Windows 98 hard drive he's long since forgotten about, rhymes so low key you can just feel the bitterness. If listeners refused to care about KA, KA would refuse to care about them in kind.

For some, this is undoubtedly a perfect hip-hop aesthetic. But to me? Much like Marciano KA's pursuit of identity has led him into a grey zone where nothing clings, it just floats and drifts in an endless nothingness (perhaps he blew his entire budget on that "Black Sabbath" sample). The Night's Gambit's sole distinguishing quality appears to be the enthusiasm with which it pursues being dislikable. This boom bap as cloud rap thing doesn't seem to be taking off outside of a very select group of jilted '90s NYC spitters; I think it's for very good reasons. I'm sure KA's happy to have found an audience after 20 years of local obscurity (maybe he has a legendary radio freestyle stashed away on a Red Alert mixtape somewhere) but to my ears his music is mostly one big middle finger to anyone who's trying to engage it, or simply stay awake as it plays.

And yes, I do see the irony in liking "Soap Box" more than most cuts here. I'm not sure if a whole LP of "Peace Ahki" would've been a success, but that's definitely the kind of track KA should be making if he's going down this road. Spoken word ambient street poetry. When he pretends he's making a rap album, which is the rest of the time, something just doesn't click. If Earl's Doris threatens to put you in a coma, steer far, far clear of The Night's Gambit.

https://rateyourmusic.com/review?id=55425267
No lies detected.

Just googled his old music, he was in a crew called Natural Elements:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUEOlZRkE0s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom