• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Is this the real tracklist for Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight?

1. "Nine One One"
2. "Raw Raw"
3. "Lose" (featuring Rihanna)
4. "Birds in the Trap" (featuring 21 Savage)
5. "Twin Choppas" (featuring Quavo)
6. "Guidance (Remix)" (featuring K. Forest and Roy Woods)
7. "Coordinate" (featuring Blac Youngsta)
8. "Don't Be Late"
9. "Hoochie"
10. "The One"
11. "She Ain't Got It" (featuring The Weeknd)
12. "After Party" (featuring PartyNextDoor)
13. "Cant Tell" (featuring Kamaiyah)
14. "M.P.R. (Money Power Respect)" (featuring Meek Mill)
15. "Quintana Part 3"
16. "Forgive Me" (featuring Kid Cudi)
17. "Can't Relate" (featuring Future)
18. "Miss Me"
19. "Pick up the Phone" (with Young Thug and featuring Quavo)

Seems dope. It's on Wikipedia btw.

I completely forgot to look up the new Frank Ocean and see if its around....guess not.

That's a pretty questionable move by him to play his fans like that. Tell Tool to stop doing the same thing.

That reminds me, I recently read a review of The Night's Gambit and it really caught my attention.

I don't want to spend a lot of time writing about KA because if I do, inevitably I'm just going to get angry and think even less of this album than I currently do. KA comes from the Roc Marciano school of bitter late-90s rappers who failed to carve a lane for themselves initially and are now content to sit alone in their dingy apartments, a multitude of blunts rolled up beside the keyboard as they toil away on their Acid Pro programs making beats for themselves because fuck everyone else who doubted them. The result is an aesthetic that's certainly ripe for mythmaking; beats so minimal you can hardly believe they exist, samples straight from the RZA's "to be used later" folder on an old Windows 98 hard drive he's long since forgotten about, rhymes so low key you can just feel the bitterness. If listeners refused to care about KA, KA would refuse to care about them in kind.

For some, this is undoubtedly a perfect hip-hop aesthetic. But to me? Much like Marciano KA's pursuit of identity has led him into a grey zone where nothing clings, it just floats and drifts in an endless nothingness (perhaps he blew his entire budget on that "Black Sabbath" sample). The Night's Gambit's sole distinguishing quality appears to be the enthusiasm with which it pursues being dislikable. This boom bap as cloud rap thing doesn't seem to be taking off outside of a very select group of jilted '90s NYC spitters; I think it's for very good reasons. I'm sure KA's happy to have found an audience after 20 years of local obscurity (maybe he has a legendary radio freestyle stashed away on a Red Alert mixtape somewhere) but to my ears his music is mostly one big middle finger to anyone who's trying to engage it, or simply stay awake as it plays.

And yes, I do see the irony in liking "Soap Box" more than most cuts here. I'm not sure if a whole LP of "Peace Ahki" would've been a success, but that's definitely the kind of track KA should be making if he's going down this road. Spoken word ambient street poetry. When he pretends he's making a rap album, which is the rest of the time, something just doesn't click. If Earl's Doris threatens to put you in a coma, steer far, far clear of The Night's Gambit.

https://rateyourmusic.com/review?id=55425267

This is trash. Nothing about Marciano or Ka gives off any kind of bitter vibe. This person is projecting like crazy. And the salty dismissal of minimalist production as some kind of "keep the listener from engaging" tactic holds absolutely no weight. Capping the review off by lumping Earl into it as well shows a clear bias and inability to ingest the music without personal opinion completely veering the review off into some ditch of made up nonsense.

Anyone else really enjoy these projects?
The food metaphors got a little tiring at a few points for me but overall this guy's lyricism is my style (though I think the last part of the album had way too many similarly toned songs on women):
a1700873330_10.jpg

And this was dope as well:
a3143802040_10.jpg

Koozek

Anyone else really enjoy these projects?
The food metaphors got a little tiring at a few points for me but overall this guy's lyricism is my style (though I think the last part of the album had way too many similarly toned songs on women):
a1700873330_10.jpg

And this was dope as well:
a3143802040_10.jpg

Images aren't linked to anything.

Koozek

How do I do that?

Mark the whole /-wrapped part in your post, click on that "Insert link" icon and paste the link to the albums. Or did you even want to do that, lol. Maybe you just wanted to post the images, but trust me if you don't link directly to an album you're recommending no one will bother googling it :D

Nope

Atmosphere leaked, not sure if I will listen, but I know some of y'all are big fans

Hmmm..been trying to find it but so far no luck.

Pure Evil is a great song from the new CD, just wish it was longer.

In October i am going to Ghostface Killah & Killah Priest's concert. It's called the Wu Goo tour. I wonder what songs they are going to do because i don't recall a Wu Goo project.

Speaking of Atmosphere....

I think they are good example of Hip Hop that delves into angst without making it seem whiny or self-absorbed. I also really think Ant doesn't get his dues as much as he should as a producer, as he's one of those producers that can definitely elevate tracks to a higher level, unlike so many other underground producers who are obviously underground for that reason. His production on Brother Ali's second and third album are both fantastic.

Listened to Still Brazy yesterday again, after several listens it really is still a dope ass album. For me the biggest surprise so far in hiphop this year. Before this album i only knew him from his song in GTA V and that was aight. For some reason i just did not expect something like this. It's also a album i can listen to without having to skip a track.

Koozek

Listened to Still Brazy yesterday again, after several listens it really is still a dope ass album. For me the biggest surprise so far in hiphop this year. Before this album i only knew him from his song in GTA V and that was aight. For some reason i just did not expect something like this. It's also a album i can listen to without having to skip a track.

Yeah, I was suprised, too. Never really knew YG and expected garbage Pop-Rap like Juicy J or so, but really enjoyed it. Easy-listen, fun beats.

New Atmosphere is nice, but it didn't blow me away or anything. This is of course only my first impression, but i digged Southsiders a lot after the first listen, except for the title track. Not extremely fond of some of the beats right now. But i'll be listening a lot more to this one over the weekend. Some tracks are great.

HiResDes

Opeth is God awful progressive bullshit now, not even metal anymore

Metal album of the year probably Moonsorrow or Terminal Redux.

Opeth is God awful progressive bullshit now, not even metal anymore

Metal album of the year probably Moonsorrow or Terminal Redux.

Wrong opinion? Wrong opinion.

Moonsorrow's album was great, but that Vektor album was overrated, pretentious drivel. A bunch of half-assed, wanky chopped together interludes intermixed with some of the lamest, limp-wristed, half assed riffing I've ever heard. The hype was unfounded on me, and I love Technical/Progressive Thrash Metal.

I listened to it plenty of times, but its shortcomings for me were obvious.

HiResDes

Wrong opinion? Wrong opinion.

Moonsorrow's album was great, but that Vektor album was overrated, pretentious drivel. A bunch of half-assed, wanky chopped together interludes intermixed with some of the lamest, limp-wristed, half assed riffing I've ever heard. What an overrated album.
I don't think I've read any opinion you've ever offered and felt like it were reasonable assessment so fair enough.

I don't think I've read any opinion you've ever offered and felt like it were reasonable assessment so fair enough.

Fine by me. I actually try my best to find common ground with almost everyone on music, but you've never done anything but shit on whatever I like, and it's always been you doing it completely left out of field when I wasn't even asking for dissenting opinions. But your loss.

Vorheez

Fine by me. I actually try my best to find common ground with almost everyone on music, but you've never done anything but shit on whatever I like, and it's always been you doing it completely left out of field when I wasn't even asking for dissenting opinions. But your loss.
Don't take anything Des says seriously

But thanks for calling me stupid and worthless, though, or is that what you truly think about me?
Damn Des, look at what you do to people when you get too savage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom