• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiiiLife

Yall trying your best to forget Soulja took the rap game by the balls with his snap rap ringtone music mid 2000s

I know you remember all the Crank Dat spin offs that came out on MySpace

Bronx-Man

Banned
J Cole is top 10 all time as far most influential rappers and he won't get his just due because he never fully broke through as a pop artist.

Shit is sad.

Vinnie Paz is top 10 all time as far most influential rappers and he won't get his just due because he never fully broke through as a pop artist.

Shit is sad.

Yall trying your best to forget Soulja took the rap game by the balls with his snap rap ringtone music mid 2000s

I know you remember all the Crank Dat spin offs that came out on MySpace

The synching with cartoons like SpongeBob were admittedly funny. Though more dubious was watching nerdy white guys trying to dance the Soulja Boy.

J Cole is top 10 all time as far most influential rappers and he won't get his just due because he never fully broke through as a pop artist.

Shit is sad.

J Coles career is sad

Gucci really is top 10 most influential tho that's a hella easy call to make. Dude is beasting too ever since getting out of jail. Best verse on champions, one of the best verses on my name is Jeffrey too

Nabs

Rap is generally trash now. Whatever.

I feel like I should like DEHH, but all that yelling does nothing for me.

Koozek

Honestly, if you think Hip Hop is dead NOW, you should just stop listening. It won't get better than this, and this is coming from the dustiest dust head. At no time in Hip Hop did we have so many different styles, flows and blends of genres. You have your Kendricks, Thuggas, Chances, Yachtis, Azizis, Gibbses, Denzels, Browns etc. all at the same time. How is this bad?

Watching that video, some good points. People always forget that we only remember and play the classics from the 90's, which skews the perception that there was only good music back then. Also obviously there was a larger threshold because artists at least had to be good enough to get a studio session and record professionally. Now you get thousands of unfinished, unmixed tracks every day on the internet, that you have to sift through and curate more to find the gems. No gatekeepers anymore who decide more or less how the current sound should be like. People decide now what's hot.

You know when Hip Hop really was, though? 2006-2011. In retrospect Nas might've been right, lol.

Hey, if people whine about mainstream rap, I usually laugh at them.

yeah it's incredibly out of touch. to say that there aren't more than like 2 (or whatever low arbitrary number) current rappers right now that are good. with all the music at their disposal too, from mainstream to indie.

whenever i hear that i just think people are being willfully deaf or have just moved on from the genre itself.

Koozek

Nah, 2006-2011 had good stuff, despite Soulja Boy being the face of rap.

I think I asked the same question last year, but can anyone name 10 great albums from those years? I'd actually say that MBDTF started the "new era" in 2011 (late '10), just as a reference point (it's not even that much of an all-time classic for me).

Below the Heavens
Game Theory
Food & Liquor

What else?

T Dollarz

I think I asked the same question last year, but can anyone name 10 great albums from those years? I'd actually say that MBDTF started the "new era" in 2011 (late '10), just as a reference point (it's not even that much of an all-time classic for me).

Below the Heavens
Game Theory
Food & Liquor

What else?

I agree with you, but there were definitely more than that.

Graduation, The Cool, OB4CL2, KRIT Wuz Here, Pilot Talk, Bastard, Man on the Moon, Live Love A$AP, etc.

HiResDes

A LOT, OKAY DEN

91611148352732119b9e2fa36e7194d24cab52f1_hq.gif

Hitta93

Banned
Everything Cole has put out is literally hit or miss since FNL.

He should really be the biggest rap star out of the main 3. Warm Up is timeless.

HiiiLife

Jay Rock verse is coo.

Seems to be his career pattern.

TDE just needs to drop Jay Q and Soul.

Clearly the only trio needed is Dot Sza and Zaywop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom