• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiiiLife

It's impossible to talk about rap music with my co-workers

They are ignorant and dumb as shit.

Rap to them is just 2Pac, Run-DMC, Biggie, Dre, that's it. Anything that's not those 4 they can't even comprehend.

Imagine introducing some 2016 Surf Danny Trumpet or Adrian Younge shit to them....I think their brain would literally start melting.

It's just beyond frustrating.

If Andrew can overcome it so can your friends.

Tokubetsu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zRQciIxAkM

uOuSP48.gif

Went once through Birds in the Trap... it's aight? A lot seems to sort of blend together or doesn't sound that interesting with way back, goosebumps, pick up the phone and lose being the standout tracks for me. The thugga adlibs just make me wish he took the helm on this project instead. I also liked hooch and yeah yeah better than most of the songs on here. Maybe it'll grow on me over time, not sure. Kendrick feature was :phew:

Now gonna listen to the new Isiah Rashad.

awful inconsiderate of travis to drop on a friday when the garbage man's not here till tuesday

dead.png

Koozek

FZZ

Banned
The album has some good songs, but it's a shit album

it's definitely not as cohesive and theme driven as Rodeo was, but even travis was proclaiming that this is just the mixtape and Astroworld is going to his next album

He said that last month though, so idk if he changed his mind or not

FZZ

Banned
Rodeo was fantastic, Irish you gotta stop being a hater. Your great grandkids probably love him

and I still consider Birds a mixtape for now

Fjordson

Why all the song titles lowercase though. Had to change that quick, Trav fucking up my tags.

But what do y'all put in iTunes? Travis Scott or Travi$ Scott? This is important.

Breh

Days Before Rodeo

Rodeo

Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight

Trap Back
Back From The Dead
It's A Scary Site 1
Mr. Zone 6
Street Lottery

This. DBR is one of my absolute faves of the last few years.

https://soundcloud.com/travisscott-2/sets/days-before-rodeo

The new Goodbye Tomorrow that Des posted months ago was dope, too:

https://soundcloud.com/goodbyetomorrow/sets/tser

Cool, I'll check out everything I suppose, though I'm not a Gucci Mane fan. Probably skip those mixtapes.

IrishNinja

catchin up

Little to no influence.

for real? nelly ain't put in work on that pop-rap lane?

Mase was beast with that comeback and then disappeared like houdini once again lol. btw I believe he still is working on a new album ;)

you mean that album with the welcome back kotter sample, and not much else though?

Yall trying your best to forget Soulja took the rap game by the balls with his snap rap ringtone music mid 2000s

I know you remember all the Crank Dat spin offs that came out on MySpace

for real, shit was dark ages but he kinda held the crown during the laffy taffy era

just remember j.cole went platinum with no features, the government want ya'll to forget but you smart you loyal

that's actually double platinum, my brother, but that's what dr. yakub don't want you to know

#2WOKE

Man, Black Moon's Enta Da Stage is great.

it really is, i revisit that one a lot - shit is also a fantastic intro to that BCC/DITC type shit

32 minutes, though?

I love the way it is now. Mainstream rap is even good right now.

Rap is generally trash now. Whatever.

I feel like I should like DEHH, but all that yelling does nothing for me.

thisisneogaf.gif
there's a lot going on right now, but mainstream is doubling-down on what's already largely considered a disposable genre...outside of drake/drake-lites, a lot of the radio sound right now down here feels like the rap game equivalent of nu-metal

Tha Shiznit may be my favorite Dre beat, or at least up there. Whew!

highkey one of the best tracks on a classic album
doggystyle >>> chronic

No gatekeepers anymore who decide more or less how the current sound should be like. People decide now what's hot.

You know when Hip Hop really was, though? 2006-2011. In retrospect Nas might've been right, lol.

you make a good point, but there's a downside to the lack of gatekeepers too - culture vulture fuckery and shit like yachty/logic/etc get passes where they ought not, but that might just be me

also if you really think the people are deciding what's hot and not clear channel/etc...ehhhh

2009-2011 particularly was some exciting shit for the genre though, especially coming off a rough patch...gaf-hop was kinda born of that too

A LOT, OKAY DEN

91611148352732119b9e2fa36e7194d24cab52f1_hq.gif

some quality anime gifs about but fuck i love golgo 13, he's that dude

Can't wait to play as Kiryu and curb stomp peeps

fixed for us weebs

Koozek

you make a good point, but there's a downside to the lack of gatekeepers too - culture vulture fuckery and shit like yachty/logic/etc get passes where they ought not, but that might just be me

also if you really think the people are deciding what's hot and not clear channel/etc...ehhhh

2009-2011 particularly was some exciting shit for the genre though, especially coming off a rough patch...gaf-hop was kinda born of that too

Yeah, I meant excluding 2011 actually, which I would call the "start" of the new era. 2011 was when I got back into Hip Hop again through Lucky Me/Rustie/Hudson Mohawke radio mixes after a hiatus of 3 years or so where I mainly listened to obscure JRPG soundtracks and Electronica like Silkie, Machinedrum etc.

And yeah, maybe there are other gatekeepers now, but still, there's stuff that we never would've heard back in the days because it wouldn't even get through labels. What would you call the modern kind of gatekeeper?

IrishNinja

yeah, we all went through stages of ditching hip hop/branching out i think

mid aughts did it for me, but honestly the late 90s/00's i was mostly out of it too, the No Limit era was like a perfect time for me to explore other sounds

came back years later and decided i mainly missed out on juvie & mannie fresh, still bump them

I'm not white.

jbhmmm.png

....damn, this was better

IrishNinja

Of course. Racism exists against every race.

*puts on sociologist glasses* ahem
RACISM IS ABOUT POWER STRUCTURES AND THEREFORE THESE PRIVILEGED CAC'S CANNOT TRULY EXPERIENCE RACISM ON AN INSTITUTIONALIZED LEVEL

we do hurt when kids laugh at us bumping micheal mcdonald though

shit stings, man. how can they not feel his pain

*puts on sociologist glasses* ahem
RACISM IS ABOUT POWER STRUCTURES AND THEREFORE THESE PRIVILEGED CAC'S CANNOT TRULY EXPERIENCE RACISM ON AN INSTITUTIONALIZED LEVEL

we do hurt when kids laugh at us bumping micheal mcdonald though

shit stings, man. how can they not feel his pain

Ha ha ha.

Yes, I agree with you. The only group at a bigger disadvantage are those with Autism.

Koozek

So, is Cudi only good on features or what? oO He's dope on Birds. And man, 3 Stacks should just drop an album. Produced by Metro and them young cats.

Cheddahz

Banned
third side of tape > mista thug isolation

lil ugly mane is a better producer than rapper and mista thug isolation feels too much like a three six mafia ripoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom