• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew have you checked his Stay Schemin verse or 5am in Toronto?

Just a couple prime examples of when he's actually rapping his ass off and not singing

Prolly couple of my favorite pieces of work from him

I.haven't yet. I heard good things about those songs. Drake isn't really known for being a spitter anyway.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Confession time, I kinda like Savage Mode. The subdued, menacing Metro Boomin beats are so good. 21 isn't that good but his aloof delivery and dark subject matter suite the production.

HiiiLife

Coming for Drizzys lane I see.

but the 6God will not falter to a dude that talked about blowing Kanye. Up there with as many sus lines as Cole's fascination with fecal matter

Koozek

Accidentally clicked on the thread instead of last page; was Andrrew talking about Drake 8 months ago, I got so confused.

Took him 8 months to listen to Drake:
Take care is a classic. Plus it has an incredible Kendrick feature on it.

Well that means that I have no excuse, now don't I?

Take Care? More like Don't Care
full

So this came out of nowhere for me

A 7 track EP that tells the story of a dude donning a gas mask and becoming a vigilante and surprisingly doesn't end up being corny as hell. It's actually a pretty decent story with a tight narrative just under 20 minutes. Aesop Rock's beats fit perfectly but I shouldn't be surprised. He's been lowkey killing production since Felt 3 in 2009.

Dereck

A 7 track EP that tells the story of a dude donning a gas mask and becoming a vigilante and surprisingly doesn't end up being corny as hell. It's actually a pretty decent story with a tight narrative just under 20 minutes. Aesop Rock's beats fit perfectly but I shouldn't be surprised. He's been lowkey killing production since Felt 3 in 2009.
Solid EP, definitely wouldn't have worked for a full album, I kind of felt like Blue's energy wasn't completely matching Aes's production

Solid EP, definitely wouldn't have worked for a full album, I kind of felt like Blue's energy wasn't completely matching Aes's production

I kind of attributed that to the character he was playing. But I haven't been checking for Blueprint since.....Columbus or Bust in 2005, so that might be his style now.

Whoa, pretty cool. Especially with Aesop behind the boards.

Rooster12

Haven't thought of Blueprint in years lol

He seems to be one of those consistent artists who never put out disappointing stuff.

Hey all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Musical Tastes

1. Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq or Atlantistan) - Atlanta's got the popular stuff, but I think Chicago's more interesting with Chance, Vic, Noname, and the whole crew coming out of there.
2. What’s your favorite subgenre of rap? (Conscious/Backpack, Trap/Drill, Mafioso, WC Gangsta, Swag, Weed, Hyphy, Club, etc) - Don't really have a favorite sub-genre.
3. Favorite Artists (Pick Five) - Kanye, Earl, Pusha T, Vince Staples, Danny Brown (sub for Frank Ocean if he counts).
4. Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five) - Jai Paul, Daft Punk, Death Grips, Floating Points, Tim Hecker
5. What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY? - Summertime '06 was last year's. At the moment, my favorite hip-hop record of the year would likely either be "The Life of Pablo" or "Bottomless Pit" by Death Grips, but I'm really just waiting for Danny Brown or Earl Sweatshirt to release their albums.
6. What are you listening to right now? - Floating Points' "Vacuum" EP.
7. What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? - Guilty Pleasure: Hip-hop wise, I dig "Because the Internet" by Gambino a lot more than the average hip hop fan. I like that it's all over the place musically and that it tries to be more than what a Childish Gambino album is supposed to be. Something I haven't listened to: A lot of old-school stuff. Nas albums after "Illmatic", Wu-Tang albums after "36 Chambers", ODB's solo stuff, anything from Three 6 Mafia or Memphis during that era, classic Lil Wayne, the list goes on. Oh, and I like "Drunk and Hot Girls."
8. Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)
Let's Kanye-cycle: MBDTF >= Yeezus > 808s = LR >= TCD > The Life of Pablo = Graduation
Travis Scott: Days Before Rodeo > Rodeo > Owl Pharaoh = Birds in the Trap

GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What’s missing from the game? - Currently, I like how the internet has given rise to a lot of diverse sounds from all over the country. You can do some weird stuff with your music and you can still hypothetically find an audience for it. What's missing from it right now are more producers like Madlib. Madlib's beats are something to behold largely because of how he samples things people don't usually think of as sample-able and makes them really cool. Not many producers (that I've heard of) do that nowadays, preferring to go more synth-heavy and use trap drums.
2. Who’s Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member? - Like I said, I haven't listened to most Wu-Tang stuff, but I'd go with Ghostface.
3. Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Young Thug or OG Maco? - Nas, 2Pac, Young Thug
4. What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating? - Danny's new record, Earl's new record, Flying Lotus / Captain Murphy's new stuff, probably one or two more that I'm forgetting about now.
5. Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? Who is the Most Overrated? Underrated: Daveed Diggs / clipping. Overrated: Jay Electronica, man's a textbook example of how to piss your whole career away.
6. Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten? - ...
7. Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither? - Both.
8. Do you still listen to Eminem? Why? - No, because he sounds like he's given up trying. His beats are still pretty bad despite the fact he's friends with the Alchemist and Dr. Dre. He doesn't try to prove he's the King of Rap, he's just content to let his fans do the championing for him.
9. Who’s your favorite pop artist? And who’s the finest? - Carly Rae Jepsen and Tinashe, respectively.
10. Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago... - Y'all ain't my therapist.

Man I wish he would start producing.

He does. He's producing Lady Gaga's new single, and is producing one of Theophilius London's new songs.

Welcome my man, seem like a really chill dude. Also Tim Hecker fans are all cool in my book.

Thanks! I've been wanting to post here forever, but shyness got the better of me till now. For the record, I dig your recommendations quite a bit.

So are y'all trolling bout this Carly shit or was it legit good becauseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Courage was hyping this lol
It's actually good. Higher is probably the best song on the entire project, and it's only about 30 minutes long. Check it out.
Dodged the booty question and the personal event question though

What you hiding, breh? Shifty eyes right from the start.
What can I say, I'm a personal guy.

Also, in keeping with the Kevin Parker talk, I remembered he produced this record that released this year. Group is called Koi Child, and their sound is basically jazz-hop. It's more like if someone chose to rap over BBNG-style beats but better than "Sour Soul." Here's one of the singles on the record, Black Panda.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Quick early impressions:

Young Thug's No, My Name Is JEFFERY
- It's decent. Don't really understand the crazy positive reaction people had in this thread when it dropped, and none of these feel like growers either (I feel like the Slime Season series has a few of these). Harambe is the best non-Pick Up The Phone song on there, but it still feels like it wouldn't have stood out on most of Thug's other projects. Feel like the first half of the album is better than the latter too. Kind of an interesting listen-through because the songs are super varied, which is always a good thing.

Tory Lanez - I Told You
- It's so.. swagless? I've criticized Tory Lanez for going backwards on varying up his voice and relying way too much on that airy rapping voice of his, and that continues here. What probably kills this project is the constant barrage eye roll worthy or I've-heard-this-a-million-times-on-rap-albums skits (the Interscope one is particularly cringeworthy). I mean, there's a story there for sure, but it's such a damn generic come up story, it ends up being offensive. Maybe I'm biased because I also think he has a pretty (increasingly) obnoxious personality and that shows through here, despite there being a bunch of good beats, hooks/singing, and even raps on here. Mostly the R&B stuff though.. Cold Hard Love, Say It, Luv, Come Back To Me, maybe All The Girls. It's also just weird. The Tinashe sample song is 10x wacker than the original, To D.R.E.A.M. is a cringeworthy Fetty Wap impression through and through, and there's a bunch of that.

Vince Staples - Prima Donna EP
- Equally parts forgettable and bad, equally attributable to the production and Vince. War Ready is the only song that did anything for me, and even still, can't see myself listening to it again.

Travi$ Scott - Birds In The Trap Sing McKnight
- Probably far and away La Flame's worst project, it's decent-to-passable overall IMO but I can understand people rating it lower and I don't think it's going to age well. A few keepers on there, but I'm not keen on too much, and that's mostly because there are no real :wow: song of the year contenders like there are multiples on pretty much every project of his. Not the highest praise, but pretty much every song is decent except for Sweet Sweet and Andre 3000s verse. Standouts are probably Coordinate, Outside, Goosebumps, and Pick Up The Phone.

Trying to text my accountant, ain't no service in the mountains

tumblr_mjvy31NoG91qe7xxro1_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom