• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's really really REALLY good. Not quite Twin Peaks with rappers, but as a slice of life show with comedy bits sprinkled in, it's fantastic. Not like Dong Lover's previous stuff, that's for sure.

Speaking of which, the news coming out of the Pharos concerts basically implies Glover's making his attempt at a Kid A record; features bits of African tribal music, soul, funk et al. I don't know whether or not to be excited for such an out there record. It's evident Glover wants to be taken seriously, but I don't know if going in such a different direction will do that.

T5 was fire, and so is this I'm hoping.

Waynes story is sad.
tumblr_ocxxyuy2IK1r0jlbgo1_500.jpg

Nabs

It's really really REALLY good. Not quite Twin Peaks with rappers, but as a slice of life show with comedy bits sprinkled in, it's fantastic. Not like Dong Lover's previous stuff, that's for sure.

Speaking of which, the news coming out of the Pharos concerts basically implies Glover's making his attempt at a Kid A record; features bits of African tribal music, soul, funk et al. I don't know whether or not to be excited for such an out there record. It's evident Glover wants to be taken seriously, but I don't know if going in such a different direction will do that.

T5 was fire, and so is this I'm hoping.

Pharos is a straight up soul/funk record, I don't know how his fans will take it. I just hope it sounds as rough as the live recording. I don't mess with his music, but this might be the record that I can actually listen to.

HiiiLife

I'm so cool on Wayne's attempt at music nowadays but "dem real rappity rap fans" love discrediting the mans work ethic. Stop fronting 2016.

Heard very good impressions and several comparisons to The Wire. Will watch the first episode after I'm done with Narcos S2 and then hope it'll someday come out on Netflix Germany.

It's great but lol who is comparing it to the wire? Completely different. I guess it's similar in that it has black people

But Forreal it's really impressive. Like a black Louie. Best thing don glover has done in his life. I'm floored by it. And they got that Atlanta trap sound on point. I hope we get a Gucci Mane cameo in the season.

And I often forget Lil Wayne was a rapper since he was a child. Damn that article excerpt dude posted in here is sad :(

Koozek

It's great but lol who is comparing it to the wire? Completely different. I guess it's similar in that it has black people

But Forreal it's really impressive. Like a black Louie. Best thing don glover has done in his life. I'm floored by it.

And I often forget Lil Wayne was a rapper since he was a child. Damn that article excerpt dude posted in here is sad :(

I think I just picked it up from the Hot97 video where Rosenberg told the story of him auditioning for the role of the white radio host/DJ on Atlanta, but couldn't do it because he didn't want to say "ni**a" even while acting. He said it doesn't mean they're similar shows, it's just that it has that "nuance".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hD_aRifSvU

The quote Rosenberg referenced:

Donald Glover’s hypnotic ‘Atlanta’ could fill a void left by ‘The Wire’

“Atlanta,” which premieres Tuesday with two episodes, was filmed in and around East Point, Ga., which was once dinged by a real-estate website as “the nation’s most dangerous suburb”; from the show’s first moments, Glover and his collaborators have given this place the kind of respect and unvarnished regard that is somewhat similar to the love and concern with which David Simon and company portrayed Baltimore in “The Wire” — only in this case, gallows humor supplants pathos. (Glover has drawn on his own Atlanta upbringing and his experiences as a rapper — which might be news to viewers who only know him from his roles on “Community” or in “The Martian.”)​

Hey! Aren't you the guy who was saying Views was full of bangers not too long ago?? Well I listened to it and fell asleep. Not sure I can trust you !!

Views? Bangers?!?!?!

I mean, I thought Views was a strictly average album (I think I remember enjoying around eight songs, and Controlla is fantastic), but nothing on that album approaches banger level.

Koozek

Might've been good back in the days, but the bits I randomly saw here and there in the last few years were cringe-worthy bad.

IrishNinja

okay cool, gonna hit that one up then
also The Shield stays fantastic

Just got banned from ktt for "Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Constant race baiting
This is a permanent ban." But I've literally never sent a personal message, mentioned race, or barely even posted over there.
?

they know u though

I'm so cool on Wayne's attempt at music nowadays but "dem real rappity rap fans" love discrediting the mans work ethic. Stop fronting 2016.

yeah i think most of us made peace with tha carter 1/2 & the drought likewise forever ago

i fucks with it

Arrested Development funniest show on earth, btw.

still cant finish that last season though....

can't wait to see your reaction when you find out it's not '99 anymore

LOL.

Yeah, this is definitely true, its prime is untouchable, but yeah, as a long time fan, I can attest to the show declining in quality after season 9 (though later seasons do have their moments and episodes). I won't deny that THe Simpsons is terrible now and has been for a long time.

Anth0ny

Hey! Aren't you the guy who was saying Views was full of bangers not too long ago?? Well I listened to it and fell asleep. Not sure I can trust you !!

if it's sleep you're interested in, may I recommend blonde by frank ocean? or to pimp a butterfly by kendrick lamar.

i'll be in the 6 blasting bangers off views.

they gon think i won a grammy they gon think i won a grammy they gon think i won a grammy they gon think i won a grammy they gon think i won a grammy they gon think i won a grammy they gon think i won a grammy

HiiiLife

There's a thread on gaming side about threads from the 90s and it just reminded me of when someone posted a link here (I think?) of rap forums from the 90s and how they were shitting on illmatic prior to release lol

It was a crazy read seeing all that shit

There's a thread on gaming side about threads from the 90s and it just reminded me of when someone posted a link here (I think?) of rap forums from the 90s and how they were shitting on illmatic prior to release lol

It was a crazy read seeing all that shit

!!!!!!!!!!!

Link, please.

Ramriddlz put out a better album than Drake in 2016 lmao.

Wtf I hope the 6God reevaluates his output. Views was like a crap remake of take care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom