• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

okay yeah, i don't usually fuck with Glover but that first ep of Atlanta was good, gonna keep watching

Yeah... that was
luvWyvp.gif

Apparently there'll be re-cut version of the whole season on Netflix with everything in chronological order.

i wonder if that'll go over better? i couldn't put my finger on what it was - either solo eps with not enough ensemble time, or just the meaner/less funny tone - but something felt totally off/wrong

There's a thread on gaming side about threads from the 90s and it just reminded me of when someone posted a link here (I think?) of rap forums from the 90s and how they were shitting on illmatic prior to release lol

It was a crazy read seeing all that shit

wish i could've seen that shit

i wonder if that'll go over better? i couldn't put my finger on what it was - either solo eps with not enough ensemble time, or just the meaner/less funny tone - but something felt totally off/wrong

definitely the lack of interactions between the family members for me, so the recut isn't going to fix that aspect. I don't think it was as bad as a very vocal part of gaf says but it was clearly a step down from the previous seasons. it didn't start to pay off until like halfway through the season.

Netflix let them go as long as they wanted which was a mistake, keep it 22 minutes. They rarely got any chances to play off each other. Writing just took a huge step down too tbh.

Eos

So came back from a vacation and listened to the Travis Scott album today. Pretty underwhelming... IMO Travis Scott fleshed out more the direction I never liked about him...
Basically auto tune singing

What do you guys think?
I agree that it is underwhelming, since it's not better than rodeo or days before. I like it for what it is but it seems like trav just put in less effort on this joint. The beats are nice and so are the features but the album just seems so average, other than a couple of tracks. But the tracks that I do like, I've been listening to them a lot. My favourite tracks: way back, through the night, outside, goosebumps, and lose.
damn LOL this shit isn't any different from what people say nowadays
this really opens your eyes though, i would've thought illmatic was a certified classic from day 1 but dudes were calling him a sellout back then
dead.png

I agree that it is underwhelming, since it's not better than rodeo or days before. I like it for what it is but it seems like trav just put in less effort on this joint. The beats are nice and so are the features but the album just seems so average, other than a couple of tracks. But the tracks that I do like, I've been listening to them a lot. My favourite tracks: way back, through the night, goosebumps, and lose.

damn LOL this shit isn't any different from what people say nowadays
this really opens your eyes though, i would've thought illmatic was a certified classic from day 1 but dudes were calling him a sellout back then
dead.png
Just found another one:
https://boxden.com/showthread.php?t=1488319
This is all great reading lol
"But yeah, now its like unacceptable to have least bit of fun in rap-
80s rap k!lls anything out today. the only exception that stands out to
me is tribe called quest. everything else the same played out gangsta,
funked, looped beat bulls**t."

Eos

Just found another one:

lmaooo that's exactly what dustheads are saying now in regards to 808s/trap beats
man all those people shitting on pac, biggie and eminem, never would've expected that (well maybe eminem) and calling them the GOATs 20 years later.

lmaooo that's exactly what dustheads are saying now in regards to 808s/trap beats
man all those people shitting on pac, biggie and eminem, never would've expected that (well maybe eminem) and calling them the GOATs 20 years later.
Lol, saw one reference to Jay as an example of a talented MC sucked onto mafioso rap with biggie and nas (think the post was in 95 or 96) which is cool.
From 99:
"Nas comes out and just wrecks sh1t..
He has Screwball and Cormega along with about 5 other dudes with
him.. during the beginning of the first verse of Life's a B1tch the beat
cuts out and hes about to stop but the crowd keeps singing the song
so he goes on too for the rest of the verse.. fuk a beat
After he finished Cormega and Screwball did a little freestyle
w/o no beat.. which gets to the point of this post..
Cormega tells everyone how and and Nas are like brothers and
as long as they together they unstoppable (remember Cormega's track
"Fuk Nas" kinda funny that they together now)
At the end of Cormega's flow hes like "FUK JIGGA, Jigga can't touch Nas!"
Which makes me think.. "Is Hova gunna let him get away with that?"
I think not.. Lets watch how this sh1t progresses..."
Edit:more Jay on page 4
Edit2: lol he's wishing for Originators Jay "May 4, 1996

I finally saw this brothas video last night. The one with that RapStitute
Foxxy Brown and I just need to know one thing.

Is his whole LP like that or does the bruh kick some knowledge?

I remember him and The Jaz doin The Originators and all that. That s**t
got Tall Props from me. But this s**t... I don't know if I could support a
whole lp of this Other Level s**t...

I guess it's still just me, Bro J and Wise.

8{>

jabari"

IrishNinja

2Pac gets his stupid a.ss shot up again outside the Tyson f!ght.
The order of these events might not be perfect but that's where the whole
beef began. Other people such as Nas, Ice cube, and others entered into the
fray because of their friendships with some of the participants. Hopefully
all of this beef s**t is dead. Even though I don't like 2Pac I hope he lives
to see the follies of his ways.

son prolly felt a bit awkward bout that one soon after

Koozek

Just found another one:
Haha, thanks for the post. I love these old forum post, like when people hated on FFVII before release or so.

Apparently Tyga and Migos got signed to GOOD.

giphy.gif

Tyga is signed to GOOD and Migos are now going to be managed by them. All their albums and associated stuff is still under 300, but Pusha's going to help them out business wise.

Although, Tyga must have some deity on his side to basically leave his wife and kid for a 17-year old and end up being on Kanye West's label.

Courage

Sun's Tirade is growing on me a shitload. As much shit people give TDE, they managed to get 3 quality projects out this year from their artists (untitled unmastered obviously being the weak link, but still good enough to be mentioned) with no tampering and relatively smoother rollouts compared to the TPAB and 90059 fiascos.

Sun's Tirade is growing on me a shitload. As much shit people give TDE, they managed to get 3 quality projects out this year from their artists (untitled unmastered obviously being the weak link, but still good enough to be mentioned) with no tampering and relatively smoother rollouts compared to the TPAB and 90059 fiascos.

Yea it's growing on me as well although still disappointing overall. It definitely goes on a nice run with Kendrick feature song. I don't like Kendrick but that was a good verse.

Still seems like they just threw his album out to die though; maybe because it's been so long and he has to essentially start from scratch. But yea the Blankface roll out was impressive. Still resulting in disappointing sales despite a big single.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Coordinate the tan with the beans in my Rockstar skinnies

Tp167c.gif

Imma need some more, need some more, if I really wanna feel it

Tp167c.gif

La Flame was in his bag for this. One of those songs that really encapsulates an artists style.

Yeah this is TDEs strongest year since the time control system and HnC came out

I love all 3 projects. With Rashad surprisingly being the best of them

Anth0ny

everything was always shitty compared to the good old days

THE BEATLES were shitty compared to the good old days

my age group is already nostalgic for the 2000s era. give me shit when I put on thugga or travis or anything recent that isn't drake or fucking lil jon circa crunk juice

overcast

Apparently Tyga and Migos got signed to GOOD.

giphy.gif
Yeah signing Tyga is comical. Guess he's that tight with the family 🌚
This would be a great thread to make.. hmmm
Yeah the project is better than I gave it credit for initially. It's having a very similar trajectory as Cilvia demo for me. Probably not that good overall though. Still a great year for TDE. Sza and Ab-Soul (lol) still dropping
La Flame was in his bag for this. One of those songs that really encapsulates an artists style.
Yeah that may be the best purely Travis Scott track here. Or way back idk.

Goosebumps definitely my favorite. Great feature, catchy sound and he offers something himself along with the feature. Biebs in the trap has an awesome feature but Scott sucks on it imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom