• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rapsody Interviews MC Lyte for Black History Month.

Billboard: As far as being a woman of color in hip-hop, what has changed and what could be done better?

MC Lyte: As it relates to now, this is not enough. Not enough voice, not enough variety exists. There used to be a time where female MCs sort of spoke for a sector of the female population and I don’t know that those on the front lines actually reflect all of us nor do they speak for all of us. I can only hope for more variety. I get the question all the time [talking about] there’s no female MCs and I’m like, ‘What? Are you kidding? There’s so many female MCs waiting for their opportunity to be heard by the masses.’ They do what it is they do anyway because of their love for the craft, the urgency to say the words that aren’t being said. However, there are very few opportunities where they’re able to be heard by a multitude of people that can carry that message and actually have change occur.

Rapsody: It was about camaraderie. I would go back and you would have “Ladies First” [with Queen Latifah and Monie Love] and see all these women working together. We don’t have that sisterhood today. I think being in this business, you get so frustrated because there is no balance. It seems like there can only be one [female MC] at a time now. Growing up, I remember seeing you, Latifah, Missy and everybody co-existed together. Everybody was different but everybody was dope because they had their own style. Now, it seems like we think we have to be so competitive with each other and I feel like that’s part of the main problem where they use that against us to divide us instead of bringing us together. This one female [artist] was ragging on female artists and I tried to have a talk with her. I was like, 'I understand the base of your argument as far as the quality of music but why do we have to attack each other to get that point across?'

MC Lyte: I understand your take on it too ‘cause you’re coming from the perspective of the younger generation, understanding their understanding of what it means and it can be very different from mine. However, I do think an experience like Black Girls Rock! can put things into perspective and it’s like this whole back and forth with homeslice talking about there shouldn’t be a BET Awards? [Laughs] It’s like, what?

Rapsody: Exactly.

MC Lyte: Like what planet are we on? Come on. We understand why it was built. It was built so that African Americans could receive the accolades, acknowledgment, awards and respect for what it is they did for their past year’s work because there was nowhere else that would do that for them. Same reason how the Image Awards came into existence and very much so why Black Girls Rock! exists -- because it is a platform where not just the hottest female rapper or the hottest female R&B singer can be awarded on a show where it’s predominantly men but now you have a complete space where women are honored and it’s very necessary. I mean we used to have the Lady of Soul Awards and that was taken away. However, when it comes to women in this particular sector of business, we have got to just award ourselves so we acknowledge one another and I think that’s a good thing.

IrishNinja

Lyte's a legend for a reason, hearing her shit on stacey is just icing on the cake

200k to go....

kinda respect this stance, good for dude

Come on, who buys physical CDs anymore. Streaming is the future and the certification rules should reflect that.

sold on wax too tho
wait, is the issue here digital sales (legit) or just making up sales #'s arbitrarily based on streams? cause if its the latter, i get dude's point

Koozek

sold on wax too tho
wait, is the issue here digital sales (legit) or just making up sales #'s arbitrarily based on streams? cause if its the latter, i get dude's point
I think stream numbers should definitely play a role. Now, I don't know what's the best ratio, but someone will figure it out one day when everybody streams and no one cares about CDs anymore.

dub sesh in about an hour and a half. come hang out and play some chunes

tumblr_n1zvprWw7d1qedb29o1_500.gif

Man, holy shit. Blackalicious' Blazing Arrow is fantastic.

God damn it, I am so behind with rap music, ha ha. But I guess that's the fun of it; you get to listen to masterpieces for the first time.

nib95

Banned
Finally catching up with The Game - The Documentary 2 and 2.5, and I must say even early on I'm enjoying it, especially from a beats and production perspective.

Pretty amazed kendrick managed to platinum, he found a way to sneak in somehow if you know what I mean.

Finally catching up with The Game - The Documentary 2 and 2.5, and I must say even early on I'm enjoying it, especially from a beats and production perspective.
It's lowkey album of the year. Really surprised me but Kdot was great too so it can go either way for me.

Eos

Didn't like this track as much as flying nimbus but it's still pretty good. The way he spits the poltergeist line ruins the beginning of the hook imo.
He's 2/2 and I have high hopes for his next project tho.

Koozek

God damn it, I am so behind with rap music, ha ha. But I guess that's the fun of it; you get to listen to masterpieces for the first time.

Yeah, I remember bumping Blazing Arrow back in the days. A bit lyrical-miracle in retrospect, though. Gift of Gab's (Blackalicious' rapper) 4th Dimensional Rocketships Going Up is one of my favorites. A lot of really mellow, smooth beats and nice melodies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFE66SEwo7Y&list=PLhY85lFhhIPhM-M9z8kvcfMv2vSKbm1AE

https://play.spotify.com/album/065EM1KuydCbwsEHXfvBi6

Forgot about this one. Was in heavy rotation during the dustiest era of my conscious phase, not sure I could listen to it nowadays.

Chemical Calisthenics was a bit much. It's definitely one of those albums that can be used to "impress" people who don't think very highly of rap music.

There were some nice soulful moments though so I'd like to revisit it someday. My CD is...somewhere...probably in a box with Like Water for Chocolate and Dilated Peoples or something.

T Dollarz

Aww shit, I didn't know a No DJ version came out, fuck yeah.

Peeped the new Jazz Cartier on my way in to work this morning. Whew, more flames brehs.

PBY

Banned
Tried that new Jazz Cartier- went in expecting to love it...

I dunno brehs. He's kinda swagless, and isn't saying much? Beats seemed on the border of cool and ehhh

Will have to listen again.

Courage

I dunno brehs. He's kinda swagless, and isn't saying much? Beats seemed on the border of cool and ehhh

It's pretty much on the same level as his previous project. Dope cuts that I'll be replaying throughout the year but nothing that elevates it into something great.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

We agree on something. Except the egregious use of "swag." It was a flat project. Great production, but he ain't saying shit and he ain't saying it in an interesting way. Rap Manual bars and flow.

injurai

Banned
Listened to the first few songs of Cartier and switched it off. I think I did so when I realized I wasn't even listening anymore.

BlackJace

So, I'm curious to hear opinions regarding the current aftermath of the Meek Mill - Drake beef. It seems like he's been responding by dropping some pretty hot music, not just trying to come up with a Back 2 Back equivalent.

4/4 I and II are solid, and I thought that, even before the beef started, Dreams Worth More Than Money was pretty good as well.

I feel like Dreamchasers 4 (which IMO is highly anticipated among the community at large as well as my own circle) being straight heat would elevate him back to the status he was before getting rocked.

Syntsui

So, I'm curious to hear opinions regarding the current aftermath of the Meek Mill - Drake beef. It seems as though Meek ultimately taking heavy licks, he's been responding by dropping some pretty hot music.

4/4 I and II are solid, and I thought that, even before the beef started, Dreams Worth More Than Money was pretty good as well.

I feel like Dreamchasers 4 (which IMO is highly anticipated among the community at large as well as my own circle) being straight heat would elevate him back to the status he was before getting rocked.
I used to think this way, but soon we will have Views and no matter what Meek does, he will still be irrelevant.

Ninja Dom

So, I'm curious to hear opinions regarding the current aftermath of the Meek Mill - Drake beef. It seems like he's been responding by dropping some pretty hot music, not just trying to come up with a Back 2 Back equivalent.

Dreams Worth More Than Money was trash. I couldn't stand Meek rapping with the same flow and tempo and taking in no account what music he had behind him.

From November 2015, The Great Korean Invasion of Keith Ape, Noisey.
https://youtu.be/ryD5aAH3fbY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom