• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

For clarity's sake this is not the sole reason I call him that: I followed him on Twitter and Instagram for a long ass time and not only did his shtick of writing long-ass sentences filled with random adjectives get kinda played out but he seems to have become pretty bitter and is unable to ride with the new wave of artists at all, which at this point is whack; salute

Didn't meant to direct that comment at you specifically, but I'll admit I've never followed him on social media/I only see what you guys have posted in this community over the years.

IrishNinja

maaan enzo or one of ya'll can just do highlights, please? not trynna hear this dude much more, starting to think ghost didn't wanna demean himself with a reply or something

xHiryu

Just thought I'd drop some old school fire here.

tumblr_m1u0d1yStD1rqei9oo1_500.gif

Kreed

The only thing note worthy in this interview so far is Shkreli being absolutely shook at Charlamagne being a member of Bridge Capital.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Not much there, TBH, a lot of going over the same talking points we've seen in headlines thus far and frequent attempts to relate himself to hip hop and a lot of complimenting of the Breakfast Club and a few shots at Ye.

10:30 in he talks about hiring a lawyer that represented Diddy, Jay, etc "so there are some similarities there".

11:30 "I'm not about to change who I am, ever" in response to lawyers telling him not to do the video with the goons. "It's meant to be a mix of satire and reality." "I have goons for real *looks for them* they're outside, somewhere."

13:00 Talks Shmurda, says he would get him out because it's unfair he's being held in jail for this long, but its too late now

15:50 Smug look when asked if he'd ever lose his fortune with the indictment

16:50 Had Fetty Wap do his Christmas party, immediately afterwards Charlamagne and Yee grill him saying if he really did have respect for hip-hop he wouldn't have gone at Ghostface.

Martin: "If he was here right now I'd smack him right in the face."
Charlamagne: Anybody can get it, Martin
Martin: I know this

Charlamagne says some shit about racial tensions being high and people would love to run up on him
Martin: I know people in my family that have been shot
Charlamagne: Did you shoot them?

Charlamagne: Would you call the police if someone beat you up?
Martin: I would never call the police. It's open season. Come at me, come at it. It don't matter, it don't matter, man. Open season. And in fact, I think there's a saying y'all familiar with, it's called: I wish you would. *smug smile*
Charlamagne: You entitled, privileged prick.
Martin: I'm telling you, I'm from the streets

19:15: Charlamagne gets denied his $100, he talks about getting jumped but never losing a fight

20:00 talks about Trump not being as rich as he could be, mismanaging his money. Goes on to talk about not graduating from his high school for gifted kids, he left early

21:30 talks about secret elite venture capitalist meetings, more flexing

24:45 Charlamagne: Are you scared to go to jail?
Martin: No, I'm not scared of anything in life.
Charlamagne: You know, there are a lot of Wu-Tang fans in jail. You know what they did to Kanye West right?
Martin: No, what happened?
Charlamagne: They put a finger up his ass. You know what they're gonna do to you?

26:00 Mentions he bought Killer Mike's watch, goes on to tell story about this an influential Black chemist in pharmaceuticals which is interesting, but he uses it to dodge a question about what he's doing for Black Lives Matter.

Nibel

I thought he was pretty tame in that video; for a polarizing dude like him I was kinda left cold by his interview, Trump's description fits

Courage

Wasn't feeling the production on Trapsoul and Tiller is a stock Drake.

Just listen to Jeremih's album if you want something good in that lane.

PBY

Banned
Wasn't feeling the production on Trapsoul and Tiller is a stock Drake.

Just listen to Jeremih's album if you want something good in that lane.

Jeremih is leagues better than Tiller, agreed.

Tiller is a little closer to that new toronto sound tho

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Not even gonna try to dispute this tbh

I'm just obsessed w/ anything tangentially related to the new toronto sound.

I still enjoy that sound a lot too, which is why I find his popularity sorta baffling. I've tried to listen to his music on numerous occasions, and every time it has almost instantly lost my interest and faded into the background. He sounds like the most generic distillation of the "New Toronto" scene but without the production, the hooks, the personality or the singing/song-writing talent that his peers have at least some combination of. I don't think Tory Lanez or Roy Wood$ are anything particularly special, but both of their 2015 EP's were a much better showcase of that sound compared to Tiller's.

Maybe his success is just a case of being in the right place at the right time.

PBY

Banned
I still enjoy that sound a lot too, which is why I find his popularity sorta baffling. I've tried to listen to his music on numerous occasions, and every time it has almost instantly lost my interest and faded into the background. He sounds like the most generic distillation of the "New Toronto" scene but without the production, the hooks, the personality or the singing/song-writing talent that his peers have at least some combination of. I don't think Tory Lanez or Roy Wood$ are anything particularly special, but both of their 2015 EP's were a much better showcase of that sound compared to Tiller's.

Maybe his success is just a case of being in the right place at the right time.

I agree- he's super vanilla, and a lot of his beats are just inoffensive. But I think he has some heat.

I love Don't and Exchange. shit, exchange made me fucking think of charles hamilton again.

DominoKid

Roy Woods is dogshit. IDK why Drake even bothers with him. Theres nothing from him thatd make me have to have that dude on the team.

Same with Tory although he aint dogshit.

Tiller came out the gate already with a solid understanding of what works on the radio and resonates with people. Its a reason why Drake (and many others) wanted him so bad and cosigned him so early.

PND just doesnt seem to be concerned with blowing up. Although I dont think he has it in him to make a hit for himself.

HiResDes

In my opinion Roy Wood$ > Tory Lanez > Partynextdoor > Tiller > Jimmy Johnson

Roy is by far the most unique songwriter out of all of them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PND stannery is so weird to me. Not that we have much of it here but I've seen it IRL (then again I have location bias) and across a lot of hip hop sites. Dude is lacking in so many respects.

I think a lot of it just comes down to the voice or delivery people prefer, and that's what's carrying PND's momentum vs. other Drake understudies/tentennants. I'm feeling this Jeremih album quite a bit (great variety) but I can only take dudes voice in small doses as it can reach a threshold of annoying at times.

Roy Wood$ has like 5 songs out there and I like two to three of them, hard to place him anywhere TBH.

Fjordson

In my opinion Roy Wood$ > Tory Lanez > Partynextdoor > Tiller > Jimmy Johnson

Roy is by far the most unique songwriter out of all of them.
Think I'd agree. Really like what RW has out so far. And I'm a big Tory fan, but I wasn't really feeling New Toronto or Chixtape 3 (though C3 had some nice tracks). Hopefully his debut album delivers.

That Roy remix of SKRT is flames. (As someone who didn't really enjoy the original).

https://soundcloud.com/roywoodsofficial/roy-woods-skrt-remix
This was a dope surprise on OVO radio. I like the original, but this is nice.

Courage

PND stannery is so weird to me. Not that we have much of it here but I've seen it IRL (then again I have location bias) and across a lot of hip hop sites. Dude is lacking in so many respects.

Tbf, he's a decent producer. I agree that he sucks at everything else.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
PND's loosies over the past year have been pretty good, but even on his good tracks I feel like he could be easily replaced by almost anyone else in his lane. It's like he's a stand-in on the track, waiting to be replaced later. Party at 8 is a cool track but whenever I listen to it, I think to myself "why didn't he give this beat to Future?".

OG Kush

Yeah I don't get where this huge buzz for Bryson Tiller came from? It literally felt like one day Bryson Tiller announced hes coming the UK and the next day everyone on my snapchat and social media is talking about copping Bryson Tiller tickers (I reside in the UK btw). The guys not bad, but I also don't really see anything special about him.
Roy Woods... I echo that sentiment, guys got like 5 tracks out hasn't really proven much. That SKRT remix is getting some play from me though.

PBY

Banned
PND's loosies over the past year have been pretty good, but even on his good tracks I feel like he could be easily replaced by almost anyone else in his lane. It's like he's a stand-in on the track, waiting to be replaced later. Party at 8 is a cool track but whenever I listen to it, I think to myself "why didn't he give this beat to Future?".

I agree EXCEPT for

Party at 8, which I like... but mostly for this banger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLqq4mXU5-M

Nibel

Yeah I don't get where this huge buzz for Bryson Tiller came from? It literally felt like one day Bryson Tiller announced hes coming the UK and the next day everyone on my snapchat and social media is talking about copping Bryson Tiller tickers (I reside in the UK btw). The guys not bad, but I also don't really see anything special about him.
Roy Woods... I echo that sentiment, guys got like 5 tracks out hasn't really proven much. That SKRT remix is getting some play from me though.

Bless that Kylie Jenner stimulus package

PND is dope, but I appreciate his beats more than most of his songs. Dude needs to put something out, been a while

OG Kush

Eos

Future - In Abundance
Yo, also can anyone tell me what happend to Juicy J?! I remember about 3/4 years ago he was poppin off. He had so many bangers, back at Uni my mates and I would love playing some of his tunes.. choice cuts (from past 3/4 years):
Juicy J- Zip and a double cup
Juicy J - Codeine Cups
Juicy J- Juicy J can't
Juicy J - Bandz A Maker Her dance (Who can forget?! Use to orrrff in the club)
Juicy J - who da neighbours
Juicy J - Smoke a nigga
Juicy J - One of those nights ft. The Weeknd

He's still dropping projects lol, he had 3 mixtapes in 2015

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The best song from the latest OVO Sound Radio was Ayo Jay's "Your Number." Can't link cause I'm on my phone but I can't believe I missed this jam years ago. Remix with Fetty Wap is fire too. Stuck on repeat for the past few days.

Low key Africa is next up.

PND is dope, but I appreciate his beats more than most of his songs. Dude needs to put something out, been a while
It was cause of Kylie? Lmao Tyga feeling even worse that a newcomer did like 20x what he did first week.

Yo, also can anyone tell me what happend to Juicy J?! I remember about 3/4 years ago he was poppin off. He had so many bangers, back at Uni my mates and I would love playing some of his tunes.. choice cuts (from past 3/4 years):
Juicy J- Zip and a double cup
Juicy J - Codeine Cups
Juicy J- Juicy J can't
Juicy J - Bandz A Maker Her dance (Who can forget?! Use to orrrff in the club)
Juicy J - who da neighbours
Juicy J - Smoke a nigga
Juicy J - One of those nights ft. The Weeknd

I was surprised to see him blow up this late in his career after doing like 20 years of three 6 mafia stuff. One of the goats as far as that lane is concerned.

Nabs

Tiller is probably an industry plant. He's definitely been programmed to be a mix of drake/party/lanez. He came out of nowhere and basically ate everyone's lunch while they napped. He's not very good, and he's not very interesting, but hey, he sing-raps and samples 90s r&b that he probably doesn't know (like Lanez).

Drake dropped the ball on PND big time. He must be using PND as an energy source or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom