• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitta93

Banned
I still say youse guys are trippin with Mr. Wonderful. "City Boy Blues" --> "Easy Rider" is one of the best stretches on any Bronson project. People ask him to switch it up because his lack of structure and songwriting is getting boring, then when he actually drops an album with some structure, people hate. Get outta heeeeere brehs, Mr. Wonderful is dope.

Preach.

I still say youse guys are trippin with Mr. Wonderful. "City Boy Blues" --> "Easy Rider" is one of the best stretches on any Bronson project. People ask him to switch it up because his lack of structure and songwriting is getting boring, then when he actually drops an album with some structure, people hate. Get outta heeeeere brehs, Mr. Wonderful is dope.
Agreed, I was surprised by how much I liked it compared to everyone else in here.

Forreal. That stretch on the album was so good. Made the project make the top 10 for me that year.

Just to revisit the Mr. Wonderful discussion for a second, it's the little things. The transition from Terry to Actin Crazy. The extended instrumental run on A Light In The Attic. That Americana blues-rock, acid road trip feel the album turns to after the Thug Love Story skit (which is too long, yes) culminating in The Passage and Easy Rider, going out on the ultimate high. It just feels like a project with more ambition and emotion than everything he's done before. Even if you don't like it as much, it shows growth as an artist.

Plus Chance drops a 97-98 era low key Eminem verse which is like one of the few times I've liked him on a track.

Forreal. That stretch on the album was so good. Made the project make the top 10 for me that year.

What's funny is that I didn't even have it in my top 10. Still really like it a lot though.

Dereck

say no more

gFXCJmA.png

HiiiLife

The only collab album I ever cared for from him will no longer happen.

He has like what 9-10 songs with Ross and they're all solid. I'm On One. Stay schemin. Diced Pineapple. Free Spirit. Lord knows. Aston Martin Music.

All good songs.

Weeknd. I mean Take Care era Drake + Trilogy era Abel spoke for itself.

Wayne. And he got his own problems with his label to deal with. Weezy has his moments now and then like his track he released a week or so ago, but idk if he can do it for a whole project in 2016

One of these should've been happened.

But instead we get a future and a ye collab. I hate people.

T Dollarz

Yeah, some of y'all buggin' on Mr. Wonderful. Album was solid as fuck. The standout tracks are so stellar too.

Still didn't make my top 10 ha. Coming out so early in the year hurts some projects, unfair as it is.

I love this thread! I've wanted to drop some songs in here for a long time.

Also, about the above, RIP Shawty Lo.

Does anyone listen to the Roots? I absolutely love their music! Black Thought's lyricism is insane!
The Roots - Concerto of the Desperado
The Roots - Lighthouse

I absolutely love Slum Village, they're one of my favorite groups ever! - Get Dis Money, Reunion, Untiled (Fantastic)

Does anyone listen to Homeboy Sandman or Aesop Rock? They did an awesome colab with an EP called Lice.

Here's another Aesop Rock song from his album "The Impossible Kid" - Rings

Also, who has heard "Titus"? It's an unreleased LP from Baatin, it's absolutely incredible!

One of the greatest hip hop albums never heard. 'Titus' was an Operation Unknown release to follow J Dilla's critically acclaimed album Jay Love Japan.

RIP Baatin!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
New Danny is so underwhelming. Everything released so far gives you no incentive to listen to the project, so mediocre. Not like I expected Danny to have a great project in him really, but Old is the closest he'll probably get.

Have no idea how/why OUUUU went viral. Nothing about the video or song is exceptional. Makes it worse that Meek and Game are trading verses over that instrumental. Kind of laughed at the timing of the OUUUU ad libs on Game's song though.

Cheddahz

Banned
New Danny is so underwhelming. Everything released so far gives you no incentive to listen to the project, so mediocre. Not like I expected Danny to have a great project in him really, but Old is the closest he'll probably get.

If you think Old is Danny Brown's magnum opus, there is something wrong with you (and I don't normally denounce someone's opinion like this, but this one is just incorrect for a good number of reasons)

If you think Old is Danny Brown's magnum opus, there is something wrong with you (and I don't normally denounce someone's opinion like this, but this one is just incorrect for a good number of reasons)

how are you not aware of enzo's opinion on danny brown at this point

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Danny Brown is great when he's on other people's records. It's in his best interest his reputation stays as a feature killer TBH. Don't want people bursting into laughter listening to Ab-Soul tier songs like I Will and shit.

Travis Scott is great when he's on other people's records. It's in his best interest his reputation stays as a feature killer TBH. Don't want people bursting into laughter listening to Ab-Soul tier songs like literally anything on Rodeo and shit.

Finally, a good enzo post

Koozek

...Finally getting to this kinda reminded me of the Kembe X album in tempo and style, but the subject matter is a bit different, anyway really feeling after one initial run through, definitely recommend
This is really good. Thanks!

I love this thread! I've wanted to drop some songs in here for a long time.

Also, about the above, RIP Shawty Lo.

Does anyone listen to the Roots? I absolutely love their music! Black Thought's lyricism is insane!
The Roots - Concerto of the Desperado
The Roots - Lighthouse

I absolutely love Slum Village, they're one of my favorite groups ever! - Get Dis Money, Reunion, Untiled (Fantastic)

Does anyone listen to Homeboy Sandman or Aesop Rock? They did an awesome colab with an EP called Lice.

Also, who has heard "Titus"? It's an unreleased LP from Baatin, it's absolutely incredible!

RIP Baatin!
We had pages of Roots ranking here a while ago. A few classics under their belt.

SV is one of my favorite groups. Fantastic Vol. 2 is in my all-time Top 3. Yes! was one of my AOTYs last year.

Baatin really was unique. There are funny stories of Dilla once just fading out one of Baatin's verses on a track before the hook because he started rambling and going off-topic again, lol (I don't remember on which song right now, but you can clearly hear it). The shit their manager (their producer Young RJ's father) pulled off with Baatin on the last record before his death is depressing though (only paid him 100 bucks per verse, taking advantage of his crack addiction), or even back around Trinity when he fell into a coma and realized he was kicked out the group when he woke up again with no money, car, or home left anymore.

Dereck

yeah, i've heard everything listed here

i listened to Old a few days ago and I ended up liking it less than I did in 2013, the first half left me nearly bored, I didn't care for most of the beats on the first half, the second has some good cuts but also some closely obnoxious ones especially if you aren't in the proper mood

This is really good. Thanks!

We had pages of Roots ranking here a while ago. A few classics under their belt.

SV is one of my favorite groups. Fantastic Vol. 2 is in my all-time Top 3. Yes! was one of my AOTYs last year.

Baatin really was unique. There are funny stories of Dilla once just fading out one of Baatin's verses on a track before the hook because he started rambling and going off-topic again, lol (I don't remember on which song right now, but you can clearly hear it). The shit their manager (their producer Young RJ's father) pulled off with Baatin on the last record before his death is depressing though (only paid him 100 bucks per verse, taking advantage of his crack addiction), or even back around Trinity when he fell into a coma and realized he was kicked out the group when he woke up again with no money, car, or home left anymore.

Oh really? I need to check them out!

Yeah I heard about some of the stuff that happened with Baatin, it's terrible. It's even mentioned in Reunion. I didn't know about the manager stuff though, damn that's awful.

yeah, i've heard everything listed here

Aha that's cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom