• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eos

Yo what are you guys currently looking at as game of the year contenders.

I hardly game, but I'm halfway through Uncharted 4 now, it's sick as fuck. Especially just coming off the heels of playing 3, the generation leap is way more significant than I expected.
Gears 4
Just cuz of mp

Inside is the best thing I've played this year, and will probably keep that spot, BUT I'm guessing Gravity Rush 2 will be my actual GOTY. Everything else I'm looking forward to will likely be solid 8/10 games, but nothing mindblowing. The Last Guardian could be a dark horse unless it's trash. Dishonored 2 should be great, but I'm not exactly hyped for it. DOOM was a lot of fun, top 3-5 definitely. Hitman turned out pretty great after the pre-launch debacle.

The wider consensus will be either Overwatch (which is great, but I never actually bought for some reason) and Uncharted 4 (which is going to make me very salty, but lots of people love it)

olympia

...Finally getting to this kinda reminded me of the Kembe X album in tempo and style, but the subject matter is a bit different, anyway really feeling after one initial run through, definitely recommend

i'm late but this is rad

I hardly game, but I'm halfway through Uncharted 4 now, it's sick as fuck. Especially just coming off the heels of playing 3, the generation leap is way more significant than I expected.

dragon ball fusions

HiiiLife

CoD4.

HiiiLife

What's your opinion on the whole thing?

Indifferent.

Even to people who get Samoan tattoos when they aren't Samoan. I will think it's tacky as fuck tho when I see it on people outside the culture. On one side I feel happy more people in the world are going to be aware of the pacific cause lord knows all my life all I ever heard was "oh you're like The stock / Troy polamalu?" on the other I feel shit like this prolly could've been depicted or handled better lol.

Kids are gonna be kids and if they wanna imagine themsleves as a Polynesian god then sure go for it. Idk. Disney wasn't gonna win either way breh. People have been upset about this movie since it's inception.

Hitta93

Banned
No specific order really outside of The Infamous being #1:

The Infamous
illmatic
The Massacre
The Legend of Mr. Rager
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
The Warm Up
Me Against the World
Trap Back
Soul Tape 1
Street Lottery

All get heavy spins still to this day.

T Dollarz

The Infamous
illmatic
The Massacre
The Legend of Mr. Rager
The Warm Up
Me Against the World
Trap Back
Soul Tape 1
Street Lottery

This list is preposterous lol

And looks like a weak year gaming wise based on what you guys have said. I see why Net_Wrecker says that about Uncharted, and I definitely get that feeling while playing it. There's no meat to it, no depth to the gameplay, nothing that makes it remotely repeatable. But as a casual gamer, one that goes into games for the one time single player experience and then on to the next one, it's practically perfect for me. It's like I'm playing a dope ass adventure movie that really couldn't feel any more realistic. It's pretty fun, but the climbing and swinging is pretty ridiculous. I'm enjoying it a lot, but it leaves a lot to be desired I guess.

Other stuff this year so far I would be interested in would be Overwatch, Gears 4 and Inside (had no idea about this. Limbo was amazing, so I'm down as fuck).

HiiiLife

I only hear good things about Inside. I'll pick it up on a sale. I enjoyed Witness on PS4 so when that drops in price on Xbox I'll double dip.

The Infamous
illmatic
The Massacre
The Legend of Mr. Rager
The Warm Up
Me Against the World
Trap Back
Soul Tape 1
Street Lottery

Good shit. Lots of personal choices,

These OT threads lol. didn't think I'd see the day my people would be talked about so much on GAF. Still watching Moana tho.

Yeah, that was an interesting read. If people had an issue with it they have every right to.

Anyway, for games, Slain looks great. Basically a violent, old school action game inspired by Heavy Metal.

Koozek

Witcher 3 my GOTY until FFXV comes out. Welcome back the king, brehs.

BK8qf09.gif

P3CS5Q6.gif

aQ7M3kG.gif

QueasyFragrantHowlermonkey.gif

n7u3vGf.gif

gephOLK.gif

KXRDnIS.gif

giphy.gif

Fjordson

I can't let myself get too hyped for FFXV yet. FF has been on such a steady decline post-IX and XIII was offensively bad. Just don't have much faith in Squenix these days unless I'm actually playing the finished product and it somehow turns out great.

edit: GOTY probably Doom, Fire Emblem Fates or Overwatch.

IrishNinja

fuck 2016, next year's got Yakuza 0, Persona 5, RE 7 (demo was cool) and more on deck. FF XV took so long people even got bored of the demo.

2017 has NieR Automata and that's the only game I'm gonna need for like 2 months or so. Ain't even tryna touch Persona 5 if it goes deeper down the creepy well like P4G did.

...I haven't touched many video games of this year. Largely because I own neither a PS4 nor an Xbox and my primary method of gaming is a two year old laptop that warms up a room every time I play TF2. I honestly haven't played anything from 2016, so I don't have a GOTY for this year.

I'm also a huge miser and probably won't upgrade to a PS4 till the end of the console's lifecycle or if there's a huge sale. At the moment, I'm more content playing the greatest hits of the PS3 for cheap, rather than do the whole :risk $60 on whether a game is good or is fully polished."

Koozek

It's gonna break my heart to see Koozek on GAF once FFXV comes out.
ynao8rF.png

fuck 2016, next year's got Yakuza 0, Persona 5, RE 7 (demo was cool) and more on deck. FF XV took so long people even got bored of the demo.
Forget the demos. The recent previews of the final game's first few chapters have been overwhelmingly positive and every week you can see clear results of their optimization process when they show off the newer builds at expos:

Additionally our @APZonerunner's great preview:
Final Fantasy 15 Hands-On: Weird, wonderful and definitely in need of that delay

And another from IGN at PAX West:
IGN: Final Fantasy XV's Opening Hour is Surprising, Awesome - PAX West 2016

Add another one to that:
Kotaku: Two Surprisingly Good Hours With Final Fantasy XV

From today, @APZonerunner's updated impressions after a month:
That delay seems to be working out okay for Final Fantasy 15 - What a difference a month makes.

This post contains product placement.

Speaking of video games, I keep on going back to PaRappa The Rapper again and again, despite the gameplay being dated as fuck. The music was just too good. Anybody else grow up with PaRappa?

I've been awake for 17 hours already (night shift) and I'm taking part in a 3 day short film competition starting in roughly 7 hours. Pray for your breh, brehs.

I've been awake for 17 hours already (night shift) and I'm taking part in a 3 day short film competition starting in roughly 7 hours. Pray for your breh, brehs.

As in judging or making a short film?

If it's making, I believe a director's best work comes under moments of intense pressure. So, it'll go one of two ways: you're going to make the best goddamn short film of your life or its going to be an incomprehensible piece of avant-garbage.

If it's judging, try and grab a power nap or two during the really awful ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom