• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want the album. If that makes me bad...fuck it

I have faith the album will be good, but I honestly think it'll make me a bad person for actively hoping this album comes out as that'll mean Gibbs will get off the charge. For all you know he could be innocent, but if the evidence Austria gave to France was enough for extradition there has to be some shred of truth to it. Or maybe they're all just super racist and this is the system suppressing another famous black man.

Tokubetsu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAaEvHWMQWk

Tr7A05V.gif

HiiiLife

Listening to its dark n hell is hot again. This and the intro to lord willin still the goat intros. That beat on dmx.

And clipse

Playas we ain't the saaaaame.

Listening to its dark n hell is hot again. This and the intro to lord willin still the goat intros. That beat on dmx.

A few times a year I go back to It's Dark And Hell Is Hot, and come out the other side like yo......this is a classic that gets very little respect. Dame Grease and PK laced the album with an interesting dark/gothic sound, and DMX comes out the gate with a well oiled persona.

IrishNinja

And clipse

Playas we ain't the saaaaame.

both albums are gafhop classics, whether ya'll like it or not

A few times a year I go back to It's Dark And Hell Is Hot, and come out the other side like yo......this is a classic that gets very little respect. Dame Grease and PK laced the album with an interesting dark/gothic sound, and DMX comes out the gate with a well oiled persona.

its also a fantastic running/workout/arf arf get swole album

I find How It's Going Down to be strangely touching.

it's a love song (hah hahhh)

nah dmx is still nice.

we need a syphon rule like enzo got

Dereck

For discussion's sake I'm gonna cross post this from another thread, basically I'm explaining why I think MF DOOM could be considered the GOAT while understanding why people may pick someone like Nas over him and a GOAT discussion

I'm gonna replace like with "GOAT". For Nas, from what I read and hear from people since I don't listen to Nas that much at all, he's considered the GOAT firstly because of his first 2-3 albums and The Lost Tapes alone, secondly because he's a very good lyricist. There's no mistaking that at all. His longevity is another reason, as in he's been in the mainstream for over 20 years and shows no signs of stopping, his last album in 2012 was great.

Illmatic, even though it's just one album, which is an argument that I hear from people who don't think Nas should be considered as the GOAT, did so much, more than I can say here and more than I actually know.

The only thing that I can't attribute to MF DOOM is Nas's beef with Jay Z and how it singlehandley influenced Hip-Hop beef ever sense. They're both similar rappers, but I'm actually surprised at how much DOOM is not mentioned as a GOAT, even though I don't think he is, but he definitely has some criteria that would make someone calling him GOAT not look unreasonable.

He's been in the game since the late 80s, he's switched his style up a few times, Zev Love X and Operation Doomsday DOOM are not exactly the same. Operation Doomsday DOOM and Madvillain DOOM aren't the same. He's got just enough of that unorthodox flow, weirdness, detached mentality from society, he's got the deep voice, unusual monotony, obscure cartoon and show references, weird beats, goofiness, consistency, intelligence and wit, he undeniably has more than two classic albums under his belt, no one has really replicated the guy I mean his style is really hard to replicate. He's collaborated with some great people, I'm actually surprised he hasn't been on a track with Nas at this point.

Nas and DOOM are both New York rappers who have been doing it well for quite awhile and are both similar in the sense that they are considered lyricists who can be a bit monotone, MF DOOM a lot more so.

The argument I do understand however is that if you can't get past the way MF DOOM raps you probably won't like many of his projects which kind of knocks him out of the GOAT conversation because his rapping style is not really accessible as someone like Jay Z.

Following up from We Will Not,

T.I. is dropping another racially conscious track/video with "War Zone" (Tidal video link). Dedicated to Tamir Rice, Philandro Castille & Eric Garner It re-enacts their homicides/police brutality with the roles reversed.

I'm liking where T.I. has been going lately, looking forward to seeing what the rest of the Us or Else mixtape (& The Dime Trap) is saying when they drop.

Quoting for anyone who might be interested:

Us or Else is out now (Tidal only again though)

01 - We Will Not
02 - Blackman (Ft. Quavo, Meek Mill & Ra Ra)
03 - Warzone
04 - Switchin Lanes (Ft. Big K.R.I.T. & Trev Case)
05 - 40 Acres (Ft. B Rossi & Killer Mike)
06 - I Swear

Tip & co killing it with both the music and the message on this. Just a shame that its only on Tidal, should be everywhere for everyone to hear it imo.

T Dollarz

I am disappoint, Des. HHNF one of my all time favorites. Raw as fuck.

Also, in honor of me seeing Danny later tonight, let me just say, XXX still debatably album of the decade. Straight up.

Koozek

So, I was curious if I maybe remembered wrong and relistened to HHNF, but... nah. If you consider that a classic you probably just never heard EAF before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom