• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever seen him on tour? It's really something to behold. He uses some of the same visuals from the video on it, but to see those trippy bright visuals amidst a sea of uptempo beats is really amazing.

Nah, I haven't. Concerts become a big money drain over time and I'm trying to save money. I'll be sure to see him sometime though once I get more income.

Nah, I haven't. Concerts become a big money drain over time and I'm trying to save money. I'll be sure to see him sometime though once I get more income.

I can completely sympathize with that. Living in NY courtesy of my uni is awesome, but holy shit does money run tight when you go to concerts. I'm sure if I tallied up how much I've spent on concert tickets over the past three years, it'd easily be about $500-$750 dollars. This semester alone, I've already seen Kanye, Death Grips, and Danny Brown, and I still have James Blake & Vince Staples, DJ Shadow, and Nicolas Jaar coming up. And I'm still missing out on Sampha and Swet Shop Boys. The music scene here is a big reason of why I love the city so much, but it's also a big reason as to why I'm super broke. Don't even get me started on my mini-addiction to concert merch either...

As for FlyLo tours, I'd bet good money he'll do another big tour in 2017 for whatever album comes out this year, so you'd best start saving up.

T Dollarz

Maxo Kream and Danny Brown was an excellent life choice. He closed with a bunch of shit off the new album. And after the show Maxo was out front just shaking up with dudes, I'm like yo waddup lol

People were really THAT mad about Views? LOL.

Well, I like to play up my anger about Views, but I abhor that record. It's not just mediocre, it feels so smug about it. It's like Drake said "I COULD have made a really good record about Toronto, my love for the city, my connection to it, BUUUT here's a collection of good pop songs with abhorrent bars and great production." The main reason I dislike it so much, is because Drake promised his fans an album that was going to be a love letter to his city and I didn't feel that one bit through his record. Maybe people who actually live in Toronto feel something special about it, but the way he was hyping up this record, you'd think Views was going to be his magnum opus, the album people would remember Drake for, the bar to which all rappers in Drake's mold would be compared to. And instead we got trite pop bullshit and good songs getting ruined by """Drake"""'s awful awful songwriting. It's mediocre and content about being mediocre.

...And now I just realized you were talking about the film name, not my opinion. Who knows.

Tokubetsu

https://soundcloud.com/lil_peep/sets/hellboy

onOqQbD.gif

Shame these guys don't get attention anymore, this song is great.

As solid as they are lyrically, Budden especially can drop some gems, they stalled creatively like a decade ago. Both of them need an executive producer who's really hands on and can shape a project into something other than 16-8-16-8-16-8, or in Budden's case 32-32-32-64-guitar solo.

Reliable for some dope verses/songs on an overall "Okay" album, but not exciting anymore. Halloween Havoc 2 and Failure's No Option were pretty underrated though. Keep Up is sooooo smooth.

Holy shit, Drake's vanity project is nothing short of amazing. I laughed, I cried because of laughing, and I laughed some more. This feels like the weirdest retort to everyone who called Drake soft: "would a man who's soft pimp his girl for a million bucks and then execute a heist to get said million? Would a soft man endure his girl getting shot up and then kill a dude in cold blood? Would a soft man watch a car blow up in slow-mo?"

The most interesting part of the film was when OG Controlla popped up for a bit with the Popcaan intro. But man, I can't believe someone at Apple paid for this. The MVs for Controlla and One Dance aren't even that good; Controlla's more artsy while One Dance is a clear """homage""" to Work's MV. 40's beats though were pretty much the highlight. All in all, I'm glad I watched it because it's kinda hilarious. And no, he's not forgiven.

Why did Jay get the idea that we wanted to hear him do awkward/weird sounding voice inflections and tone changes post American Gangster?
Fuck he did it on Minority Report to.
That song would have been excellent had he just used his normal voice.
Still great lyrics and flow though.

Hitta93

Banned
As solid as they are lyrically, Budden especially can drop some gems, they stalled creatively like a decade ago. Both of them need an executive producer who's really hands on and can shape a project into something other than 16-8-16-8-16-8, or in Budden's case 32-32-32-64-guitar solo.

Reliable for some dope verses/songs on an overall "Okay" album, but not exciting anymore. Halloween Havoc 2 and Failure's No Option were pretty underrated though. Keep Up is sooooo smooth.

Are you a Ka fan? If so, why is he getting a pass? I wouldn't compare Budden to Banks.

Going to dive into this new mixtape though, he's been on a roll since like V5.

Are you a Ka fan? If so, why is he getting a pass? I wouldn't compare Budden to Banks.

Ka's on the extreme end of the hip-hop scale sonically, and his writing is leaps and bounds beyond both of them in complexity and economy of words. He creates an atmosphere totally his own, with verses that say a lot without wasting bars or dragging out too long. Extremely precise. If you honestly think Ka and gotdamn Joe Budden and Lloyd Banks are on the same level creatively, I don't even know what to say.

The reason I think Budden and Banks need to switch it up, and why I put them together in this, is because their sound/structure is routine. Nothing about their projects are provocative, and there's an argument to be made that they've both actually gotten worse at songwriting since separating from their major label situations. They're both solid, blue collar wordsmiths, but no longer exciting. There's absolutely a niche for this music, but I was addressing why I think they no longer get the same kind of attention.

Just finished Kingdom Come.
It's a lot better than I remembered, as in I no longer look at the album with disgust and actually enjoy it/think its good.

Of course it's still not in my top five, and I don't think it's top five Jay, but I'm no longer placing it below Magna Carta/BP3/Vol 3, and I'm no longer placing it alongside the atrocity known as The Blueprint 2.
I also now believe that despite not having his best/smoothest flow, this album just might have his best lyricism out of any of his project, and (you can ignore this part it's just me being petty) hearing that lyricism just irritates me even more that people say he isn't just as skilled as Nas and better in some aspects lyrically.

I'm working on a longer in depth post on it, should be up sometime this week.

P.S: I'm confused when people say Jay can't or hasn't rapped about "adult" topics, this is just as "adult" as Life Is Good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom