• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ab-Soul said:
Second grade, took my mama weddin' ring, took that bitch
To show-and-tell, now I'm married to the game to no avail
Grounded me for like a month, now I'm gettin' high as fuck
Employer tryna write me up, but now I'm a writer

dame.gif

There's nothing I can say to defend Soul's verse.

Just...what happened?

And then you got dude at the end "YOU A MOUSE THAT THE FALCON PICKED UP, SO DISRESPECT GET CHECKED LIKE THE TOP OF THE MONTH"...

Ab-Soul went from Control System to Struggle System

Dude shot his proverbial load early in his career for an album and has been a shell of himself ever since. He's like Vast Aire but far worse.

Ab-Soul is a decaying husk right now

mooooose

hybrid was really the prototype, it was an experiment

xxx was the first execution, and though hampered by some bad beats, is still probably the best just due to when and how it was released

old was a stumble, danny released all those grime inspired singles and tried to incorporate them in a side a/side b but we ended up with unfocused songs, corny songs, and bad collabs

atrocity exhibition might really be the vision of danny brown realized. i don't know if it's his best work, or my favorite, but it is undeniably the highest quality work. off kilter beat choices rooted in great samples by good producers, nearly every song having a solid and personal topic, some experimentation but nothing too far from home (other than dance in the water)

it's good stuff

it should go without saying, but it is a wonderful thing that there are no fast tempo grime/electronic/edm beats on this album. danny helped usher that sound state side but it would be unbelievably corny rn

wonder what des thinks

Eos

the production is just wild on atrocity exhibition
loving it so far, but ya i agree, i wouldn't rank it ahead of xxx anytime soon.

HiResDes

I don't understand this willingness to put it over XXX after one listen in my opinion as a total fucking stan that's totally disrespectful to the artistry and depth contained within XXX. I can't help but feel you're a fraudulent fan if you're so quick to be like this is best record ever. I don't think I'm even gonna speak on Atrocity for weeks it's that dense.

CoolOff

I don't understand this willingness to put it over XXX after one listen in my opinion as a total fucking stan that's total disrespectful to the artistry and depth contained within XXX. I can't help but feel you're a fraudulent fan if you're so quick to be like this is best record over. I don't think I'm even gonna speak on Atrocity for weeks it's that dense.

Yeah, this is like when people both lauded and dismissed To Pimp a Butterfly when it had been out for like 4 hours.

Listened to the album twice, it's been truly exceptional.

Yall ranking albums already are on a trip though. Give it a few weeks and let the dust begin to settle at least

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I love the old school grime sound on Today, makes me feel nostalgic for Channel U.

Paul White deserves so much praise, between this and Hella Personal Film Festival he's put out some of the most unique and varied production I've heard for years.

Koozek

Okay. You guys been hyping this Danny hard. I'm expecting nothing but the best album of the decade when I listen to it later today. Never really listened listened to any of his albums. I remember being excited when I heard Rustie produced some of the joints on Old, but then they unfortunately turned out to be some of his weakest beats.

Ohnonono

New Danny is weird as hell and amazing. Feels a ton more like XXX then Old to me. So much cool shit going on. Also feels like a true album, songs move into each other really well and it is paced pretty amazing. Definitely not a random collection of songs.

Get Hi is the low point for me, but it is still a fun song. Afterword Hell for it ends the album perfectly.

Ohnonono

It is hard to believe that Ab-Soul is the same dude that made Terrorist Threats. Is this what drugs do to you? Should I stop smoking weed? Is he a secret D.A.R.E. plant?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Finally listened to Everybody Looking. It's okay because nothing is offensively bad, but ultimately I won't be listening to any of the non-single songs ever again, and the quality of songs in the second half really tanks.

It is hard to believe that Ab-Soul is the same dude that made Terrorist Threats. Is this what drugs do to you? Should I stop smoking weed? Is he a secret D.A.R.E. plant?
CuDi is the modern counterpoint though.

Or perhaps a NIMH plant.

T Dollarz

Trust me, weed has nothing to do with what's happened to Ab. Just listen to Control System, dude was fucking around with some serious shit.

How would you guys compare the new Danny to, say, Blank Face for the year? Felt like that album was sort of an, "Okay, Q back" type of return to seeing Q could still put out an AOTY contending project, almost 5 years since HnC. Is Atrocity Exhibition doing the same thing for Danny (although I think Old is far superior to Oxymoron and was one of 2013's best, but it doesn't hold up like XXX)? Sorry, I haven't gotten through a proper listen yet (I started last night and fell asleep halfway through. I was tired).

Trust me, weed has nothing to do with what's happened to Ab. Just listen to Control System, dude was fucking around with some serious shit.

How would you guys compare the new Danny to, say, Blank Face for the year? Felt like that album was sort of an, "Okay, Q back" type of return to seeing Q could still put out an AOTY contending project, almost 5 years since HnC. Is Atrocity Exhibition doing the same thing for Danny (although I think Old is far superior to Oxymoron and was one of 2013's best, but it doesn't hold up like XXX)? Sorry, I haven't gotten through a proper listen yet (I started last night and fell asleep halfway through. I was tired).
If Blankface was redemption after the lackluster "Oxymoron", then Atrocity Exhibition is Danny's full potential coming to light. It's an album that focuses itself on mood and experimental beats more than anything. If Q wanted to tell a cohesive story on his album with a bunch of varied beats and different subjects, Danny wants to exploit that feeling of just freefalling as an addict over some unorthodox beat choices.

Ohnonono

It is a return to form after Old imo. I like Old well enough but this feels like a different thing.

After two full listens I can safely say that the new Danny is dope.

As others have said, the production is ridiculous, some really out there stuff and he makes rapping over some of the beats sound almost effortless. I know some people can't do with his squeaky voice but it really works here and makes the "regular" songs (Tell Me What I Don't Know, for example) stand out even more. Get Hi and Flab-Soul's verse are clear low-points but they don't drag the rest of the album down. Otherwise there's really no fat to this, not a single bar wasted, nothing overstays its welcome. It's so dense in its execution, both lyrically as well as musically that it feels like every time you listen to a song you're peeling back another layer.

Clear top 5 contender, at least.

I don't understand this willingness to put it over XXX after one listen in my opinion as a total fucking stan that's totally disrespectful to the artistry and depth contained within XXX. I can't help but feel you're a fraudulent fan if you're so quick to be like this is best record ever. I don't think I'm even gonna speak on Atrocity for weeks it's that dense.

I agree, although I will give some general impressions sooner.

PBY

Banned
Atrocity Exhibition is dope, full stop. I really like it. THAT SAID

To me, it feels like Danny Brown went out and made this really slick, cool concept album, but it feels a little impersonal. Like he really went for it on this project, but in doing so he loses some of the rawness that made XXX so amazing.

To me, XXX is scarier, more challenging, rawer and even funnier than Atrocity Exhibition is. XXX told stories and painted a picture of Danny Brown, whereas Atrocity Exhibition is like watching Danny Brown act in a movie full of industrial soundscapes. XXX has lower lows, but its highs are simply on a different level than AE, which to me is consistent almost to a fault. I'm struggling with the concepts of what he's saying in this album beyond the beats - in fact, nothing he said really stuck with me beyond the production after the first listen (need more time with it of course, but I doubt anything will resonate with me like XXX's closer did).

CoolOff

To me, XXX is scarier, more challenging, rawer and even funnier than Atrocity Exhibition is. XXX told stories and painted a picture of Danny Brown, whereas Atrocity Exhibition is like watching Danny Brown act in a movie full of industrial soundscapes. XXX has lower lows, but its highs are simply on a different level than AE, which to me is consistent almost to a fault. I'm struggling with the concepts of what he's saying in this album beyond the beats - in fact, nothing he said really stuck with me beyond the production after the first listen (need more time with it of course, but I doubt anything will resonate with me like XXX's closer did).

It's early, but I can see where you're coming from with this.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
What I appreciate in the songs of Atrocity Exhibition is how they subtly evolve and add layers, not necessarily through an obvious beat switch. It's interesting putting them on repeat, and seeing how different and sparse they sound at the start compared to how they end. I first noticed this on When it Rain, but it's all over the place here, and part of why this thing just flies by so quickly, your ears never get tired of one sound for too long.

Of course most good production does that these days (Blank Face an obvious recent example), but I still come across dull songs where the beat (or worse, the beat and the MC) don't change things up at all for the entire song -- often stretched out a lot longer than the 2-3 minutes Danny sticks to as well.

Alpende

Listening to the new Danny Brown now, first time listening to him. I really need to get used to his voice, the beats are cool as hell so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom