• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

Listen to XXX first, actually listen to The Hybrid first.

Hmm, okay.

Speaking of Hybrid, who else here loved Hybrid Theory back in the days, lol? Let's be honest, as a kid/youth that shit was cool (I must've been 9yo or so). I think it technically was my first own Rap album too (Pac's Changes Single was my first CD ever).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just wrapping up my first listen of the new Ka now. Like every other Ka album, it feels fantastically refined and well-made, provides a real journey from front to back and he manages to keep your ears perked open all throughout. Also like every other Ka album, can't see myself listening to it again unless I'm in real dire straits.

This second one is pretty out there

And I don't mean that in a good way necessarily
I think people will eat it up.

Lukewarm on both, but Weeknd kind of kills his parts on Starboy. Feel this project is gonna be BBTM Pt.2.

Koozek

Weeknd must be the most overrated cornball right now. I always have to cringe at his cheesy inflection at parts (at least on his recent features on Rap joints). And before anybody tells me to listen to HoB, I did recently to try to understand what everyone is talking about and it didn't really grab me that much. Though I probably understand the impact it had on modern R'n'B with it's darker, atmospheric sound.

Weeknd must be the most overrated cornball right now. I always have to cringe at his cheesy inflection at parts (at least on his recent features on Rap joints). And before anybody tells me to listen to HoB, I did recently to try to understand what everyone is talking about and it didn't really grab me that much. Though I probably understand the impact it had on modern R'n'B with it's darker, atmospheric sound.

He's good

Moulded his voice and inflections after MJ way too hard tho and this new single is cornball garbage too I'll admit that. But the trilogy and some stretches in kiss land were great

And he had one of the better recent features with low life

The first thing that comes to my mind when you say "underground rappers" are wack ass cats like Skyzoo, Terminology, Papoose etc., lol. Who do you mean in particular?

Tried listening to that Reks album again. Maybe it's me not listening to him in 5 years but nothing on that album is grabbing me, and it's a double disc on top of that. Like technically nothing is wrong with it but...dude is just rapping and it does nothing for me right now. So many references to legends and classic albums but it just kind of seems like pandering to me at this point. And yes, Termanology is on a few tracks lol

I dunno. I'm not feeling it right now

HiiiLife

Yeah his shit is forgettable past HoB.

That or it all sounds the same to me.

Koozek

Tried listening to that Reks album again. Maybe it's me not listening to him in 5 years but nothing on that album is grabbing me, and it's a double disc on top of that. Like technically nothing is wrong with it but...dude is just rapping and it does nothing for me right now. So many references to legends and classic albums but it just kind of seems like pandering to me at this point. And yes, Termanology is on a few tracks lol

I dunno. I'm not feeling it right now
Listen to albums that have Termanology features in 2016, breh.

Fjordson

I like Atrocity quite a bit. Don't know how I'd rank it against XXX, but it's cool.

Wrong thread?

Screw it. What's Gaf-Hop's favorite sports teams?

Mine:

NBA: Los Angeles Lakers
NFL: Arizona Cardinals
NHL: Arizona Coyotes
MLB: Arizona Diamondbacks
NCAAF: Georgia Bulldogs Football, Arizona State Sun Devils Football
NCAA In General: Arizona State Sun Devils
GS Warriors, 49ers, SJ Sharks, SF Giants.

overcast

I understand holding albums up to an artists past work but the need to rank is odd.

Especially when an album just comes out it should stand on its own.

T Dollarz

Hmm, okay.

Speaking of Hybrid, who else here loved Hybrid Theory back in the days, lol? Let's be honest, as a kid/youth that shit was cool (I must've been 9yo or so). I think it technically was my first own Rap album too (Pac's Changes Single was my first CD ever).

Yeah, Hybrid Theory was my shit as a wee young lad. Remember playing it constantly whilst playing ps2. Good times.

Nibel

False Alarm (2nd weeknd single) out now

This is peak 80s btw

ezgif-2717730590hbznj.gif

Dude is done

That gif is vicious, damn.

Anyway, this Danny Brown album, from what I heard so far, is good as hell. I'm definitely glad that I didn't give up with one or two listens, but this is what I always do with music. Safe to say it works.

Koozek

Have you guys watched The Get Down on Netflix? It's narrated by Nas, who lends his voice to the main character's future self, with a song before every episode summarizing the plot and the current political and social climate around that time in the 70's in New York. The first episode was directed by Baz Luhrmann (Romeo+Juliet, The Great Gatsby etc.). I didn't like it at first, but then it grew on me and it really is a fun, over-the-top and charming Hip Hop version of West Side Story. Starring fictionalized versions of Grandmaster Flash and Kool Herc (and the GOAT Jaden Smith). It's dope. Check it out, guys.

the-get-down-4.jpg

Have you guys watched The Get Down on Netflix? It's narrated by Nas, who lends his voice to the main character's future self, with a song before every episode summarizing the plot and the current political and social climate around that time in the 70's in New York. The first episode was directed by Baz Luhrmann (Romeo+Juliet, The Great Gatsby etc.). I didn't like it at first, but then it grew on me and it really is a fun, over-the-top and charming Hip Hop version of West Side Story. Starring fictionalized versions of Grandmaster Flash and Kool Herc (and the GOAT Jaden Smith). It's dope. Check it out, guys.

Wow, this looks interesting, and the visual style is fantastic.

xHiryu

the-get-down-4.jpg

great show, idk when part 2 is dropping tho

Eos

Weeknd track is very different from his usual sound but I kinda like it

the-get-down-4.jpg
Is it on Spotify?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom