• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
why does gafhop continue to sleep on Kevin Gates, one of the most consistent guys working right now?

yeah his new album barely got any mentions in here. 2 phones is a track of the year contender.

though future hype and kanye hype kind of swallows everything up. you can't compete with that.

It has a built-in preamp right? If so you still need active speakers rather than passive ones.

So I'd recommend the PreSonus Eris E4.5, Mackie CR4, or Alesis Elevate 5 speakers...None of them are going to have mindblowing bass but you can always add a cheap little sub to round out the sound.

As for the headphones I assume you want closed ones so I'd recommend: AKG K553, Soundmagic HP150, Fostex RPmk3, or NVX XPT100

Thanks for the recommendations. Can't wait to play Barter 6 on this set up.

PBY

Banned
Drake's definitely got branding on lock.

Ye out here tweeting about bill cosby

UMFDI6z.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I like the visuals but Summer Sixteen was an instant recycle bin classic. Hope it's not on Views.
Agreed, but I think it will be. From the sound to the rapping, I want none of that from Drake.

Always has. OVO logo is fantastic, and even as far back as So Far Gone dude's imagery and such has been on point. Mark of greatness TBH.

Hope that Views font will be the album cover
I'd like some sort of creative stylizing of the city skyline. I'm sure there's a KTT cover of the sort that already exists.

FZZ

Banned

It always makes me wonder how powerful Kendrick would be if he had Drake's business sense and marketing

Kanye too, but Kanye is too artsy and caught up in his own schemes to come up with something that cohesive.

BlackJace

Always has. OVO logo is fantastic, and even as far back as So Far Gone dude's imagery and such has been on point. Mark of greatness TBH.

I'd like some sort of creative stylizing of the city skyline. I'm sure there's a KTT cover of the sort that already exists.

It always makes me wonder how powerful Kendrick would be if he had Drake's business sense and marketing

Kanye too, but Kanye is too artsy and caught up in his own schemes to come up with something that cohesive.

I want to forever hate on Drake, but he's (or the people behind him) extremely business-savvy. The whole 6God persona has elevated the man to a damn-near household name.

Those billboards got me pretty hype.

Not a Kendrick fan but yea. Dude is from California yet released an album without touring the state to build home base buzz. Speaking of touring I really don't think he's half as popular as advertised. Dude hasn't even done a major tour for his new album. Instead he did the type of small mini tour someone like Kevin Gates can do - small avenues with 2,000-15,000 people.

Has he ever headlined a big tour? I know he was on Kanye's last tour, and I'd imagine his people are begging Cole to take him on tour next. Cole can sell out MSG, he's clearly the bigger artist right now. Not that I like either but still.

IrishNinja

....nahhhh
RD & Blueprint got arguments as classics, but Black album is peak jigga with top tier production, flow and a lot less fat than those (particularly BP1)

Eos

....nahhhh
RD & Blueprint got arguments as classics, but Black album is peak jigga with top tier production, flow and a lot less fat than those

that eminem production
troll.png

RD is goat hov flow wise and lyrically. clever rhyming schemes and metaphors as well.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
honestly

Heart of the City, Never Change, Song Cry, and Takeover are better than anything on Black Album

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I prefer Blueprint as well, but you're buggin

production alone puts those over the top for me. now I will say, Jigga That Ninja and the title track are pretty boring.

oh and forgot about Girls, Girls, Girls. that's better than anything on Black Album as well lol

Syntsui

Black Album > Reasonable Doubt > Blueprint. Yeah, sometimes this order changes for me but The Black Album will alway be number 1.

Jay-Hova

Banned
I don't believe there's one peak Jay Z.
I could go through each point in his career going up to American Gangster and pick out a point where he appears to be in his zenith on some level, starting with RD-Vol 1, and then I know Vol 3 get's a lot of hate and when I listened to it recently I almost cut it off because of the three trash songs in a row that were playing, but besides those three it has peak bars from Jay Z throughout.
Of course Blueprint Jay was also fantastic and had some excellent showing of his lyrical ability, but I think the real strength on it was his general song writing ability and charisma more so than on the other albums because it's generally more sparing lyrically (still above other rappers), but still sucks you in and has classic lines after classic lines.
And for me Black Album Jay is something I don't have a lot to say about, but as always he killed it.
And then American Gangster Jay is such a different Jay from the rest of his career I just love it, he took such a different direction with the ad-libs and how he would use his voice (like on party life) and his flow was so smooth and his rhyme's/general lyrics/metaphors and whatnot could easily contend for being his best, just an amazing album imo, probably my second favorite.
I like this unfinished song from it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFjGaZx4-FM

injurai

Banned
Wow. Real nice. Though hearing Blu just makes me think about his insane twitter blowup a few months ago..

The writing on the wall says you better practice listening to artists without recalling their twitter tirades. You're gonna need all the practice you can get.

Not a Kendrick fan but yea. Dude is from California yet released an album without touring the state to build home base buzz. Speaking of touring I really don't think he's half as popular as advertised. Dude hasn't even done a major tour for his new album. Instead he did the type of small mini tour someone like Kevin Gates can do - small avenues with 2,000-15,000 people.

Has he ever headlined a big tour? I know he was on Kanye's last tour, and I'd imagine his people are begging Cole to take him on tour next. Cole can sell out MSG, he's clearly the bigger artist right now. Not that I like either but still.

Well to be fair many of Drake's friends attended nice schools and are knowledgeable in marketing and the like, and by extension Drake because of his Degrassi days (not a shot at Drake by any means). Most of Kendrick's people are from the street, marketing isn't going to be a strong suit for them.

But yea Kenny needs a better marketing team behind him. Problem is many of these huge marketing teams that record labels give a person when they sign don't know shit about marketing hip hop, or building a hip-hop brand. Many of them are filled with marketing people who came from different industries.

I actually wrote an essay as part of one of my design classes on this issue.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Black Album > Blueprint >= RD

I'm not mad at any combination of those, I think it's more of a stylistic preference.

overcast

Drake does have great marketing cause well.. Drake isn't just drake. He's a huge machine of like hundreds of professionals.

Pumped for views. Ye tomorrow though brehs, gonna be fun.

OG Kush

Can't really say I'm that hyped for a new Ye album. Just seems rushed, and the fact that no parties in LA is on there doesn't give me hope. That track just seems like a throwaway, loosie/bonus type track.

Nibel

Tickets for the Yeezy Season 3 show been expensive and now all you need is either sign-up for a TIDAL trial or find some underground stream, lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom