• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

but turn my swag on was so baddddd
like when it'd come on in def jam rapstar i'd pass the mic, i know he has better tracks than that

It's only so long beatniks can pretend

I thought it was they weren't really that great, and are looked back on with rose tinted glasses.

oh but ya'll can enjoy shabazz palaces though huh

Blowout Comb is some nice summer nighttime background music. Bahamadia has a smooth voice. Haven't listened in a few years though.

man yeah, that's the perfect vibe for it, been meaning to find it on wax

I can't really fuck with dork-rap like that on any level these days. I'm not saying this is always the case, but it always makes me think of the type of rap music that people who don't normally like rap music listen to.

oh yeah, there's huge crossover with "i don't fuck with radio/mainstream/rap most black folk listen to but i fucks with (x)" here, no doubt

Let's hope not ��

savage

What is Dork Rap? Is this a new genre? Because I like the intentions and the meaning behind it.

if the rapgenius page of connotations is longer than the wiki on a kingdom hearts game's plot, you're in the right direction

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's 2016 brehs. There's no controversy over Soulja Boy's influence on marketing, release strategy and using the internet to your advantage. Even musically dude expanded and conquered a market that led to a trillion wannabes to this day.

Your favourite rapper today tried to make a song like his at some point. Unless you're a Wu stan and your heroes died years prior to Crank Dat.

injurai

Banned
I think I like Busdriver even less, but that last Busdriver album had some tracks on it, especially the DB one

Discography wise I'd agree. Production wise Aesop always had Blockhead, and Aesop is almost as good himself. He's picked up a lot over the years.

Busdriver though has always had a strong identity, and I think he's come into his own more so recently than ever before. The album's feel more like albums and less like mixtapes. It's probably helped by the fact he is now self-producing or collaborating on production these days.

FZZ

Banned
Anyways, Whens slime season 3 dropping?

Jtqj3GI.png

IrishNinja

Are you suggesting that looping a blue note record is the same as what shabazz is doing?

i just said nah to stormy, but given the cast & how out there this shit is, it's entirely possible to like both efforts
especially since many would't even have known about the latter without connections to the former

Definitely guys like Kendrick Lamar and Kanye West! I mean, their works are annotated to death!

okay but scale back a bit and look at dudes who don't have entire insane forums built around them as cults of personality
use joe buddens as a median point, if that helps

It is a crime the fact that they have never worked together on a track.

just a matter of time, let's further this fantasy with all the producers who nas has turned down work with were just being saved for this project

it's actually called penance and it's meant to forgive the wounds caused by collabos with t-swift, ginuwine, j cole and the like

injurai

Banned
Killer Mike is the best, man. Such a loveable dude. And unlike other smart dumb rappers like Nas, Talib etc. he actually is knowledgeable and critical, not just on a superficial "stay woke" level. I can't imagine any other "conscious" rapper being able to conduct a conversation with Sanders like Mike did recently in that interview series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCnrQZbqIQU&list=PLkRT6sInhvHVb96gl-uxn2LxBqEL4Iv9A&index=1

He is great. There are always going to be those "stay woke" shallow cats, but some of them are just doing it because it's the thing to do. I don't think anyone serious drinks that kool aid more than a few years when they are young. But it pays the bills.

Killer Mike is the best, man. Such a loveable dude. And unlike other smart dumb rappers like Nas, Talib etc. he actually is knowledgeable and critical, not just on a superficial "stay woke" level. I can't imagine any other "conscious" rapper being able to conduct a conversation with Sanders like Mike did recently in that interview series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCnrQZbqIQU&list=PLkRT6sInhvHVb96gl-uxn2LxBqEL4Iv9A&index=1

Killer Mike has an oped on CNN today.

Killer Mike: Free speech -- unless it's rap?

Dude could be the mayor of ATL if he wanted it.

IrishNinja

He is great. There are always going to be those "stay woke" shallow cats, but some of them are just doing it because it's the thing to do. I don't think anyone serious drinks that kool aid more than a few years when they are young. But it pays the bills.

Killer Mike has an oped on CNN today.

Killer Mike: Free speech -- unless it's rap?

Dude could be the mayor of ATL if he wanted it.

yeah, Mike really outshines most of these dudes, and makes my tolerance for the lupes even less

i honestly didn't know dude much outside of dungeon family shit until RAP music, been on his shit since...as someone who read the source too much inna day, it's downright refreshing to not cringe when an MC is asked about some shit with depth

How are Nas and Talib Smart dumb, honestly? I agree that I wouldn't consult either rapper on high minded political issues (same goes for Killer Mike, honestly), but Illmatic just seemed to delve into the realities of living in low income housing and situations that only come with years of experience. And Talib's verses on Black Star are really illuminating on multiple levels.

I feel these rappers are less about politics, and more about human experience. Killer Mike I think knows what he knows best about, and talks about it as such.

How are Nas and Talib Smart dumb, honestly? I agree that I wouldn't consult either rapper on high minded political issues (same goes for Killer Mike, honestly), but Illmatic just seemed to delve into the realities of living in low income housing and situations that only come with years of experience. And Talib's verses on Black Star are really illuminating on multiple levels.

I feel these rappers are less about politics, and more about human experience.

Nas is high all the time and comes off really bad in interviewers. Only sober interviews Ive seen with him are one with Wendy Williams and one with Tavis Smiley.

Im not sure about Kweli. The dude is nobody's fool and on twitter at least, he mostly just trolls racists, lol. But maybe he said some dumb shit I dont know about?

Ninja Dom

Even though I wasn't crazy about 2, I'll admit I'm hungry for more. How was I'm UP or whatever it was he dropped a couple weeks ago. Got totally overshadowed by EVOL for me.

Superb!! Great tracks on there, won't go down as a true classic like Barter 6 or Slime Season 2 for me. Last track with his sisters on is forgettable. F Cancer, My Boys and Breadwinners are the stand out tracks. You may as well cop the album, it's exactly the same running time as EVOL, 41 minutes.

From the TLOP thread:

New Khaled song ft. God's Son. Nas is on it too.

Fuck Yeah!!! The Boss Don Bigavell, Max B is my FUCKING GUY!!! Bring me some of them prison raps, Max!!

Wait is this a French Montana tape? Come out of the bushes new wave fans. I know we got a lot of you.
Right here, breh!!!
2pm-hands-up-Favim.com-235769.gif

IrishNinja

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom