• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

While these are interesting and well produced, does anyone else feel like there is also an ugly ghetto anthropology aspect to them. They always send the whitest, most cornbread hipster nerd to inner cities, let black people incriminate themselves, and then profit off it. The ATL videos were especially galling for me as a white man due to them sending the most petite white dude I've ever seen in my life to interview Migos and their goons. The young man looked like he couldn't open a can of Coke, and looked so fragile that even the smallest female model might cause internal damage to him by straddling him during sex.

Cheddahz

Banned

tumblr_o257teZU7z1upe1ufo1_500.gif

injurai

Banned
While these are interesting and well produced, does anyone else feel like there is also an ugly ghetto anthropology aspect to them. They always send the whitest, most cornbread hipster nerd to inner cities, let black people incriminate themselves, and then profit off it. The ATL videos were especially galling for me as a white man due to them sending the most petite white dude I've ever seen in my life to interview Migos and their goons. The young man looked like he couldn't open a can of Coke, and looked so fragile that even the smallest female model might cause internal damage to him by straddling him during sex.

I think more than anything they want to send someone in who really wouldn't have any prior experience with the scene or culture. Not unlike a Louis Theroux documentary. I see your points, but I don't think it merits some of those extrapolations. As far as the self-incriminating aspect. They mostly touch on aspects of life that turn up in the artists songs or parts of their life that they wear on their sleeves anyways.

injurai

Banned
It definitely feels like noisey/vice stage the interview so it feels like these areas are a zoo. I don't like it

I have to wonder if we get that feeling because that is the feeling living there. These videos seem to focus on that "trap" aspect of these communities. It's hard to say with vice to be honest. Can anyone speak on this?

You guys probably already talked about it. But can we talk about how on point Lil' Wayne's verse is on the Currensy & Alchemist project? Granted, I don't think I've listened to Weezy since Dedication 2 or the Carter 2, but shit fucking surprised.

Detox

Like everywhere there are shitty places / people. The documentaries are turning the plight of poor disenfranchised young people into a well edited spectacle.

I was more suprised Kendrick agreed to be interviewed in the environment he was, specifically because of the way it was portrayed.

injurai

Banned
Like everywhere there are shitty places / people. The documentaries are turning the plight of poor disenfranchised young people into a well edited spectacle.

I was more suprised Kendrick agreed to be interviewed in the environment he was, specifically because of the way it was portrayed.

I see you're point. Vice doesn't seem to take any political imperative when it goes into these areas. They're trying to get their footage which will earn a profit. No denying that.

I think the video for Kendrick feels a bit different than the rest. Because the others have mostly been well known artists who they end up follow around for a day or two. This was more of a deep dive into the lives of people that caught up with various setbacks, who happened to also grow up with Kendrick.

The problem is less that they send some skinny white dude, but that all these dudes don't have much else to say other than. "Yeah, that's really bad." All while the subjects of the video take their time to host the crew.

The only track i ever skip on it is the one with Cage, everything else is 👌

those Blockhead beats...whew

Not sure if people just skip over it since it's sort of obscure, but fucking Five Fingers man. That song is INSANELY fun to listen to.

I think you're talking about Getaway Car, which I like a lot but yeah it's the weakest song on the album. Probably because the first verse is insanely boring and underwhelming. Cage is pretty overrated, anyway. Lot's of energy in the music though, which is why I like it.

If i had to pick a favorite song off the album, Catacomb Kids is the one, which may be one of my all time favorite Aesop Rock songs. In fact, I may make a top ten favorite Aesop Rock songs. Should make for an interesting list.

I have to wonder if we get that feeling because that is the feeling living there. These videos seem to focus on that "trap" aspect of these communities. It's hard to say with vice to be honest. Can anyone speak on this?

Taking the train through Compton when I was living in Long beach it's definitely a bit rough. Not saying I ever felt scared or whatever but theres a real shift in what the area looks like when you pass through it. I've never lived in that part of Los Angeles but it's very easy to tell when you hit the area. If only based on the rundown buildings.

beanman25

In love with the Flatbush Zombies. Hadn't really listened to them until the Yams Day performance, but am in such love with them!

Any others share a similar sound? I know the UA do, and love them as well!

IrishNinja

Jesus fuck. Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth......

I am totally out of the loop, jesus fuck. I just sat down to listen to these guys....I think I'm going to buy both of their albums ASAP.

DO IT
fuck, i need to complete them & eric b/rakim discogs on wax sometime

Can we stop talking about Jay Electronica. He's been in purgatory for years now, this is the afterlife.

harsh but fair

I wonder how much Capcom paid Daigo to throw the fight and give casual players ever hope.

it worked tho

This is almost fake Roc Marciano bars tier

aw see that sounds like some coli shit i missed

In love with the Flatbush Zombies. Hadn't really listened to them until the Yams Day performance, but am in such love with them!

FZ & UA are all I've been able to find but my knowledge isn't as deep as some here. I do like Denzel Curry's sound in comparison though.

HiResDes

Capital Steeze, ILLFIGHTYOU, Ratking, Joey Bada$$, Mr. Muthafuckin eXquire, Villain Park, $ha Hef, Bishop Nehru, Crashprez

oh and Cult Mountain

Dereck

Finally listened to that No Health Insurance, pretty damn raw, but it's almost too lo-fi for me. Still pretty damn cool tape, but I can barely listen to it in the headphones. You should check out the little Cult Mountain EP I posted if you've never heard it too. Kind of a similar style.
It's got that Jeremiah Jae/Beauty of the Beat aesthetic going on and yeah, it's a bit muddled. I'll check out Cult Mountain.

Classic thread forever

Ninja Dom

While Pete Rock had great production, CL Smooth's raps are almost ineligible as far as content. You cannot figure out what the hell he's rapping about. Stringing random words together cos they rhyme. Some head scratching shit.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
While Pete Rock had great production, CL Smooth's raps are almost ineligible as far as content. You cannot figure out what the hell he's rapping about. Stringing random words together cos they rhyme. Some head scratching shit.

Necessary for any adversary to worry
The legendary, primary, never secondary
Dip in Peru, overdue in Honolulu
Now if you knew the preview, could bubble like shampoo
Outclass the mass so we'll look in the hourglass

Talking about the theoretical, isometrical
Alphabetical rebel, a dissect-the-devil
Unveil a tale in detail, the third rail
Read it in braille, a bigger male leave a trail

#barz

Necessary for any adversary to worry
The legendary, primary, never secondary
Dip in Peru, overdue in Honolulu
Now if you knew the preview, could bubble like shampoo
Outclass the mass so we'll look in the hourglass

Talking about the theoretical, isometrical
Alphabetical rebel, a dissect-the-devil
Unveil a tale in detail, the third rail
Read it in braille, a bigger male leave a trail

#barz
thought this was the fake electronica twitter lmao

IrishNinja

Easy; Reachin' does.

ehh
ehhh
ill revisit that one soon & report back

i hear this a lot lately, but he's often on a theme - honeys, clout etc so i don't think it's as random as some make it out to be...i mean, it's also a weird knock on an MC from that era, as if it was a rare trait or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom