• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I didn't even think disliking TPAB was controversial with rap fans. Drake and Future are the biggest rappers right now and I doubt either fanbase likes that album. Things are so trap based right now that the album didn't seem to be appreciated, to me at least.

Pablo, EVOL, soon SS3...lots of good stuff to discuss and appreciate. And have fun listening to.

Bacon

Honestly I didn't even think disliking TPAB was controversial with rap fans. Drake and Future are the biggest rappers right now and I doubt either fanbase likes that album. Things are so trap based right now that the album didn't seem to be appreciated, to me at least.

Pablo, EVOL, soon SS3...lots of good stuff to discuss and appreciate. And have fun listening to.

The album didn't seem appreciated by who exactly? It won multiple AOTY awards including this site's album of the year and this community's album of the year

In what way does being able to listen to individual songs off an album in the whip as your "theme" music affect the overall impact and quality of an album as a work of art?

It has merit. Even A Prince Among Thieves has tracks you can just pick and play and the narrative for that album is far tighter than Kendrick's effort. Same with Sticky Fingaz Black Trash album.

Duckworth looking funny in the light
sass2.png

PBY

Banned
I just feel like if an album doesn't have some standalone tracks I can just chill to in the car it's hard to really enjoy the album. Great standalone tracks make me want to listen to the entire album multiple times, basically.

I've been listening to Life Of Pablo nonstop beginning to end. That album just works for any type of listening experience: if I wand standalone tracks I might put Freestyle 4 on repeat, or I'll listen to the first three tracks, or I'll play it from beginning to end. Not saying it's better than Dark Fantasy but it's a lot more catchy to me.

BTW anyone know of any good black churches in Chicago? I went to a small church a bit after TLOP came out to hear some gospel but it wasn't really up my alley. Seemed more modern R&B to me. So I walked out like 10 minutes into the choir session. Kinda felt bad since I was the only white guy there but once I find a good black church I'm going to stay for the entire choir.
beSFiXF.png
beSFiXF.png
beSFiXF.png

Honestly I didn't even think disliking TPAB was controversial with rap fans.

You kidding me? We got grown ass male rappers catching feelings because Shyne said he wasn't impressed with GKMC, so just imagine how some nondescript people on the internet are gonna react when someone doesn't like the followup that was worse yet even more acclaimed.

The album didn't seem appreciated by who exactly? It won multiple AOTY awards including this site's album of the year and this community's album of the year

People who listen to rap, the radio, go to clubs, etc. There seemed to be quite an outside push to convince people they liked the album, or give it awards due to the social message. Interscope went the full mile with this. But that's just my opinion.

Even in the Pablo thread here...I just don't get the sense people are feeling Kendrick like that. Why isn't he touring? Why hasn't he had a major tour since maybe GKMC?

Kanye stopped the world with his album. Drake did it with his album. Cole did it to an extent. Kendrick? I don't see it.

PBY

Banned
People who listen to rap, the radio, go to clubs, etc. There seemed to be quite an outside push to convince people they liked the album, or give it awards due to the social message. Interscope went the full mile with this. But that's just my opinion.

Even in the Pablo thread here...I just don't get the sense people are feeling Kendrick like that. Why isn't he touring? Why hasn't he had a major tour since maybe GKMC?

Kanye stopped the world with his album. Drake did it with his album. Cole did it to an extent. Kendrick? I don't see it.

Okay this PD

Dereck

I just feel like if an album doesn't have some standalone tracks I can just chill to in the car it's hard to really enjoy the album. Great standalone tracks make me want to listen to the entire album multiple times, basically.

I've been listening to Life Of Pablo nonstop beginning to end. That album just works for any type of listening experience: if I wand standalone tracks I might put Freestyle 4 on repeat, or I'll listen to the first three tracks, or I'll play it from beginning to end. Not saying it's better than Dark Fantasy but it's a lot more catchy to me.

BTW anyone know of any good black churches in Chicago? I went to a small church a bit after TLOP came out to hear some gospel but it wasn't really up my alley. Seemed more modern R&B to me. So I walked out like 10 minutes into the choir session. Kinda felt bad since I was the only white guy there but once I find a good black church I'm going to stay for the entire choir.

Cesare do you write for Complex?
OvovW1u.png

This has me in tears lmao.

I'll just quote the press release for this because it's perfect.

Welcome to the world of Justin Bieber's fellow Stratfordian/Canadian Playboy Magazine favourite,
Danny Lover.
Hailing from the heart of Perth County, (Stratford, Onratio), Danny is a former freelance relationship
agony uncle columnist and love letter ghost writer for hire. Sick of bouncing cheques and low paying
features in local newspapers, Danny decided to put all of his time and effort into his first love and
passion; rap music. The result: "My Best Friends Keep Dying", posthumously produced in full by
former best friend and life coach 19.thou$and (r.i.p).
In Danny's own words "the album is a homage to all the people I have lost in my life. Specifically a
thank you to 19.thou$and. Misery loves comedy and it just kind of happened that my girl moved to
Japan and I was stuck in this unfurnished house with nothing but a bunch of recording gear for 6
months. I would wake up at 5am sometimes and just smoke cigarettes and write and record shit."
Danny has crafted a nonchalant, snail paced rap style, which feels like it was thought up late at night
in the corner of a smoke filled, half empty pool hall, in some sleepy town somewhere that you would
only visit if you had family living there. A dream-like journey through the life and times of a blasé,
chain smoking creative who has a penchant for downers, cigarettes and women.

That Thunder Feat. Wes Murray
Singapore

He then went and released his second album a few months later, again fully backed by 19.thou$and.

Cap't $
Young Prime

You can listen to both in their entirety here. Worth giving a listen for the beats alone. Danny's style and pace can take a bit of getting used to but once it gets in ya, whew.

ill as fuck bonus track

Lowkey, Nicki Minaj is on some best rapper in the game shit when she actually spits bars. Id only rate Young Thug and maybe Kendrick above her in terms of the new age rappers with the most stylish and versatile flows.

Is EVOL > DS2 a controversial opinion? I just find a lot of the stuff on DS2 to be really abrasive.

I really like EVOL, I don't get this sort of "Ehh it's okay, not DS2 though" sentiment. Ain't No Time, In Her Mouth, Xanny Family, Photo Copied, Seven Rings, Program, and Fly Shit Only are so good.

Fjordson

I think Nicki can definitely be good as far as technical flow when she wants to be. I just don't like her delivery and all the accents and whatnot.

Lowkey, Nicki Minaj is on some best rapper in the game shit when she actually spits bars. Id only rate Young Thug and maybe Kendrick above her in terms of the new age rappers with the most stylish and versatile flows.

she has a pretty decent flow but trash music.

i'd say kendrick has a good flow but he really needs to cut ties with boring ass jazzotakunerd thundercat. look at how explosive gkmc was compared to tpab. and how blacker the berry was by far the most enjoyable whip song (if not the only one) on tpab. he needs to get away from flylo and that crew. great lyrical output in that album and as a whole it deserves to be called great but i don't ever really feel like listening to tracks off of it.

i think young thug's the best in this lane right now though. he has plenty of stinkers but also a ton of great output. and his incomprehensible flow is never boring, which is a big plus. i'm always into the melodic nonsense he spits.

Nicki can be good I'm not into that type of stuff but she has some impressive moments, even if her music is whatever. That song she has with Beyonce, Feeling Myself, is pretty good. She switches up her flow like 3-4 times.

IMO Thug is the best right now. Just the way he flows in and out of different melodies. Future might be a bit better when he really hits a certain wave but it doesn't happen that much.

she has a pretty decent flow but trash music.

i'd say kendrick has a good flow but he really needs to cut ties with boring ass jazzotakunerd thundercat. look at how explosive gkmc was compared to tpab. and how blacker the berry was by far the most enjoyable whip song (if not the only one) on tpab. he needs to get away from flylo and that crew. great lyrical output in that album and as a whole it deserves to be called great but i don't ever really feel like listening to tracks off of it.

i think young thug's the best in this lane right now though. he has plenty of stinkers but also a ton of great output. and his incomprehensible flow is never boring, which is a big plus. i'm always into the melodic nonsense he spits.
I want Kendrick to go further left. fuck it

and btw Q always had better flow than Kendrick. that snippet that the tde wasteman posted is further proof.

kendrick had more substance to his lyrics and very high concept stuff but Q can just ride a beat waaay better. waiting on Q's new album. please don't be oxymoron.

Courage

Pinkprint wasn't that bad. I also prefer her rapping over her poppy shit but she's also responsible for Super Bass which is a top 10 pop track this decade.

Syntsui

I was just about to say "wow,a Nicki discussion without anyone mentioning her verse in Monster". Well... Fuck it.

I personally enjoy a few songs from her but I don't really care about her to actually listen to one of her albums.

and btw Q always had better flow than Kendrick. that snippet that the tde wasteman posted is further proof.

kendrick had more substance to his lyrics and very high concept stuff but Q can just ride a beat waaay better. waiting on Q's new album. please don't be oxymoron.

I can agree on flow when Q is on point dude is on point. Not to say I dislike Kendrick's at all *listens to Black Friday*.

Kopite

I went through a period of constantly listening to TPAB in the car. Wesley's Theory, King Kunta, These Walls, How Much a Dollar Cost, TBTB and You Ain't Gotta lie are all good standalone tracks. Not as big a fan of Alright though.

overcast

Either way albums don't have to be car albums.

For example though, I almost never play I Don't Like Shit in my car and that was my third favorite rap album last year. Some albums are just made for headphones and certain atmospheres. Across all genres this is the case too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom