• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXV| Afterlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courage

Not really, it's pretty solid throughout. I think beat choice is part of the reason why Bryson is making noise because his beats suit his style really well.

It's generally super 808s heavy stuff, but it's not overdone or as milquetoast as something like Purple Reign, and good samples help that.

I do like Don't and Exchange and think those two tracks highlight his strengths, but I still think it's mostly a cheap emulation of Drake's/40's New Toronto R&B sound. And it's also littered with 'hard' generic trap production which isn't that good either. It almost like he went down a checklist of what kind of songs he should put on so the album catches on, rather than making a well realized project. Which isn't bad per se, since it clearly worked, but doesn't make it sound any less derivative and uninspired.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I do like Don't and Exchange and think those two tracks highlight his strengths, but I still think it's mostly a cheap emulation of Drake's/40's New Toronto R&B sound. And it's also littered with 'hard' generic trap production which isn't that good either. It almost like he went down a checklist of what kind of songs he should put on so the album catches on, rather than making a well realized project. Which isn't bad per se, since it clearly worked, but doesn't make it sound any less derivative and uninspired.
I don't disagree with any of this, especially the bit about the harder drums kind of taking you out of it at times; I think that his voice is what will give him a lane and his writing is good enough to make some good songs. Don't is probably his most well put together song but I think Been That Way is up there too.

Man I hope that the New Toronto term doesn't catch on unless we start referring to Kardinal as Old Toronto or something.

SKINNER!

Banned
I'm currently going through a phase of listening to BET Cyphers (Dat Rocky flow...didn't know he had it in him) and I discovered Angel Haze. She got any decent tracks/albums?

Also, post your favourite cyphers!

Dereck

QpxUu5f.gif

HiResDes

Retch facing 10 to 20, holy shit -http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2016/03/paterson_man_charged_in_north_bergen_armed_robbery.html

Retch facing 10 to 20, holy shit -http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2016/03/paterson_man_charged_in_north_bergen_armed_robbery.html

Awful. His last mixtape was great. Felt bad for the dude till I got to this part

Onfroy has been arrested 12 times in New Jersey, where he has three disorderly persons convictions. He has also been arrested in California, Texas and South Carolina, court officials said today

Come on breh.

You can tell that future/ross track was made years ago. It's fire but it has that 2012 production and sounds like something made after they recorded ace hood bugatti.

The ti track has a great beat

thabiz

Yeah, I noticed Jae sounded a little more upbeat than usual.

Not a Fluke!
BkXMAgL.png
I was talking to codhand recently and both agreed the L'orange / Jae record was mad slept on. I know you dug it cause you down, but man, that shit was instantly forgotten

That new Denmark track is flames

Dereck

I was talking to codhand recently and both agreed the L'orange / Jae record was mad slept on. I know you dug it cause you down, but man, that shit was instantly forgotten
Jeremiah Jae has a lot of good shit, including the project you mentioned. I really like him when he's rapping with Oliver.

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jeremiah_jae_oliver_the_2nd/rawhyde_f1/

Including some tracks they did with Jonwayne and the Oliver EP.

EDIT: I'm gonna have to revisit that L'orange LP, it's been a minute.

thabiz

Rawhyde is one of those projects that I keep going back to but can't commit to saying I really love it. Same thing with MF Doom's best work. Or Billy Woods' recent album.

Purple Moonshine Pt 1 was top 10 track in 2013 though. A+ song.

Ninja Dom

I'm from London and listening to Tim Westwood through the 90's was a MUST for any hip-hop fan. Westwood had all the greatest hip-hop artists of the time on his show dropping freestyles. You name it, he had them on freestyling - Biggie, Nas, Snoop, Wu-Tang, 90's Eminem etc. It was so exciting listening to his show on Friday nights. Tupac never was on it.

Westwood must have dozens of old tapes still that he could upload. He was a major part of hip-hop music being played in the UK right from the 80's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom