• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The production on this Cole is so frustrating. No one would bat an eye to this production or these basic rhyme schemes that try so hard to evoke some emotion out of you but fail to resonate if this was a rapper of lesser stature.

I don't think the songs are all bad, or that it's a bad project just because the concept kind of falls flat in execution, or I'm just super cynical of all of these extra-conscious efforts from MCs lately, but I'm really struggling to think of projects or songs that make any sort of impact on me. First thing I think of is Lupe's Madonna, and I truly think few mainstream efforts have even come close to that TBH.

deja vu on repeat, it's so good.

T Dollarz

Stoney is so wavy, and yeah like Des said it starts super strong, but it's too long. Deluxe version is over an hour, Post Malone noooo. August 26th was so good in part because it was condensed. Got in, did what it did, and got out with you wanting more.

But damn Post Malone's melodies + the production still make it easy to play this whole thing through, even the "ehhhhhhh" tracks. I'm conflicted.

J. Cole on the other hand..... Nah.

I agree with this. The first half is much stronger, and sounds more like August 26th, which overall I like more. I tend to favor the more condensed albums, unless it's a special circumstance like XXX or something.

But yeah, Post Malone just so hit and miss on Stoney. 7/10

I think I'm out on Cole tbh. I know what he is at this point, and he just doesn't interest me anymore. Like, not to say Forest Hills Drive was terrible or anything, it was just so blah. Mediocre. Bland. Uninteresting. He hasn't made a full package to make me say "wow" since Friday Night Lights". His projects hit me like a warm glass of milk. Like bruh, what are you going for here? I ain't trying to dedicate myself to this fabric softener music. I'm pretty close to this point with Drake too, but at least every so often he hits me with a fire single that somewhat keeps me interested. After Views though honestly I might be done with him as well. What a boring album.

xHiryu

a lot of cole bashing in dis thread but neighbors off the new album is pretty great imo. he made the beat and wrote it all himself which is impressive

i didnt fuck with Forest Hills at first at all but it grew on me after multiple listens. this album is way more introspective and one of you gaf-hoppers that mentioned that he needs others in the studio strictly for production is 100% correct. the man is one of the best in the game lyrically imo and this is shown since he's now carried two albums literally by himself. to each his own
dis nigga really made a song about folding clothes tho

onto post, flab soul and cj fly. we eatin all december long boys

a lot of cole bashing in dis thread but neighbors off the new album is pretty great imo. he made the beat and wrote it all himself which is impressive

i didnt fuck with Forest Hills at first at all but it grew on me after multiple listens. this album is way more introspective and one of you gaf-hoppers that mentioned that he needs others in the studio strictly for production is 100% correct. the man is one of the best in the game lyrically imo and this is shown since he's now carried two albums literally by himself. to each his own
dis nigga really made a song about folding clothes tho

onto post, flab soul and cj fly. we eatin all december long boys

The album is fiyah, which track is your favorite?

xHiryu

The album is fiyah, which track is your favorite?

1. Neighbors
2. Change
3. Deja Vu
4. Ville Mentality

4 Your Eyez Only is good too but dragged on a bit tbh. Deja Vu is gonna be the radio hit for sure, I'm a sucker for the down-tempo smooth beats, rhythms, and soulful samples.

1. Neighbors
2. Change
3. Deja Vu
4. Ville Mentality

4 Your Eyez Only is good too but dragged on a bit tbh. Deja Vu is gonna be the radio hit for sure, I'm a sucker for the down-tempo smooth beats, rhythms, and soulful samples.

Deja vu is my favorite, but I like each song really.

"I HOPE I'M IN OBAMA'S IPOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
noah.png
"

fnwyG5F1.png

"I used to shop at Lidz but I'm still over nigga's heads like ceilings and bright ideas
mjgrin.png
"

wMFDIeS6.png

Dereck

"I HOPE I'M IN OBAMA'S IPOOOOOOOOOOOOOD
noah.png
"

fnwyG5F1.png

"I used to shop at Lidz but I'm still over nigga's heads like ceilings and bright ideas
mjgrin.png
"

wMFDIeS6.png

"The screw give me drive like a flat-head, every fill up"

kwHIbvt.png

"I'm low-key like a locksmith, working on both knees"

kwHIbvt.png

"I give her morning wood then roll my wood up in the morning"

kwHIbvt.png

"I'm from another galaxy, I'm actually an android, Look me up on your galaxies and your androids"

kwHIbvt.png

Ab-Soul said:
My nigga lil' Riley got into it with his mommy
They be fighting all the time so I ain't pay it no mind
He said: "God, she could really be the devil" I said "Chill"
He smacked his teeth and shook his head
And said: "No, for real!
You know I love her but she could really be a pain in the ass
Matter fact, fuck that, pull out your jack real fast
Real shit my nigga, now glance at the keypad
This that mind boggling shit you like to throw in your raps
And this might be your best yet
Notice how every number
Represents three letters of the alphabet
Like 2 is A-B-C, 3 is D-E-F
4 is G-H-I", I said: "I get it, alright!"
He said: "Now trip off this, listen to me Soul
I know you off the shits but I'ma need you to get a grip"
I said: "Be serious", he said "Dial M-O-M"
What a hella coincidence, it was 6-6-

4jWhZcSb.gif

Dereck

Ab-Soul said:
My nigga lil' Riley got into it with his mommy
They be fighting all the time so I ain't pay it no mind
He said: "God, she could really be the devil" I said "Chill"
He smacked his teeth and shook his head
And said: "No, for real!
You know I love her but she could really be a pain in the ass
Matter fact, fuck that, pull out your jack real fast
Real shit my nigga, now glance at the keypad
This that mind boggling shit you like to throw in your raps
And this might be your best yet
Notice how every number
Represents three letters of the alphabet
Like 2 is A-B-C, 3 is D-E-F
4 is G-H-I", I said: "I get it, alright!"
He said: "Now trip off this, listen to me Soul
I know you off the shits but I'ma need you to get a grip"
I said: "Be serious", he said "Dial M-O-M"
What a hella coincidence, it was 6-6-

4jWhZcSb.gif
vzkZ7jx.png

Detox

If ab soul is trolling he is a genius. His freestyle on sway is hilarious.

I voted for terrorist threats, I'm scared to go back to that album was he always this bad?

Tokubetsu

Much like how J.Cole requires a certain level of intelligence to be appreciated. Ab-Soul requires one's third eye to be open and fully dilated to completely grasp his language. So I can understand why some of you can't appreciate it. Bless up.

xHiryu

Much like how J.Cole requires a certain level of intelligence to be appreciated. Ab-Soul requires one's third eye to be open and fully dilated to completely grasp his language. So I can understand why some of you can't appreciate it. Bless up.

that third eye / indigo children belief is complete spiritual bullshit imo. full of kids too deep within the drug/psychedelic culture and looking for a way to make themselves feel superior to others ala "my third eye sees through you" and other bullshit claims. too each his own, idk where this thought came from but stoney is dope so far

Kanye-West-Shrug.jpg

Dereck

http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php?topic=6072017.0

This is the album y'all thought TPAB was when you were flinging around the critic bait accusations. An extremely obvious and self-serious tearjerker story that capitalizes on current racial and societal issues using classic boom bap and jazz-tinged production, but unlike TPAB it has no musical, lyrical or thematic depth/complexity.

Will the critics take the bait? Find out next week on Dragonball Z.

u3f56S1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom