• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
LTTP, but The Feminine: Act II by Anna Wise (Kendrick's go to female vocalist) is pretty damn groovy. Alternative, r&b, pop, some hip-hop. Lyrics a lil 🌽 in a few parts, but her vocals and instrumentals are fucking gold. Always been one of my favorite parts of Kenny's music. Kinda like Mike Dean synths and guitar solos on Kanye records.

Spotify leaked the cover to Vince's new album, hopefully it's coming soon then.

tPqbNIm.png

Random Masta Ace thoughts after listening through his discography for the first time in at least a decade.

-This guy is beyond underrated.

- Sittin' On Chrome is a greattttttttttttttttttt album, and I did not appreciate how great it was back when I first listened. Like a lot of people, my first real exposure to Ace (as in not on "The Symphony" or "Jeep Ass Niguh") was Disposable Arts (I distinctly remember Disposable Arts, MMLP, and Blacktrash: The Autobiography of Kirk Jones being recommended together constantly around 01-02), so I didn't really get how good his 90s album were at the time. Sittin' On Chrome is a fantastic mix of 1995 East and West sounds, which is only appropriate seeing as Ace seemed to be caught between the coasts during the first half of the decade. Sooooooo chill.

- People love to cite how Eminem was influenced by him, but fail to mention how Ace was influenced right back. Disposable Arts has a ton of bars that sound like SSLP era Eminem. Same inflections, same multi style. His vocal tone was already changing by the time he made Sittin' On Chrome, but there was clearly a style change in the late 90s as well.

- Beautiful is one of my favorite hip-hop tracks ever. That and Brooklyn Masala on the same album whew. The whole project is dripping with warmth and nostalgia, but these two tracks in particular omg.

- Just realized he dropped an album last year, The Falling Season, and managed to go back to the well with another concept album to deliver a good body of work. The actual story isn't as entertaining as DA or ALHS, this time looking back at his high school years, but the music is good. The best tracks here have the same airy nostalgia that the best stuff on A Long Hot Summer had, and Ace, as one of hip-hop's all time best storytellers, is as learned and down to earth as he's ever been. Soulful hip-hop, built to last. One of the greats.

Koozek

Random Masta Ace thoughts after listening through his discography for the first time in at least a decade.

-This guy is beyond underrated.

- Sittin' On Chrome is a greattttttttttttttttttt album, and I did not appreciate how great it was back when I first listened. Like a lot of people, my first real exposure to Ace (as in not on "The Symphony" or a "Jeep Ass Niguh") was Disposable Arts (I distinctly remember Disposable Arts, MMLP, and Blacktrash: The Autobiography of Kirk Jones being recommended together constantly around 01-02), so I didn't really get how good his 90s album were at the time. Sittin' On Chrome is a fantastic mix of 1995 East and West sounds, which is only appropriate seeing as Ace seemed to be caught between the coasts during the first half of the decade. Sooooooo chill.

- People love to cite how Eminem was influenced by him, but fail to mention how Ace was influenced right back. Disposable Arts has a ton of bars that sound like SSLP era Eminem. Same inflections, same multi style. His vocal tone was already changing by the time he made Sittin' On Chrome, but there was clearly a style change in the late 90s as well.

- Beautiful is one of my favorite hip-hop tracks ever. That and Brooklyn Masala on the same album whew. The whole project is dripping with warmth and nostalgia, but these two tracks in particular omg.

- Just realized he dropped an album last year, The Falling Season, and managed to go back to the well with another concept album to deliver a good body of work. The actual story isn't as entertaining as DA or ALHS, this time looking back at his high school years, but the music is good. The best tracks here have the same airy nostalgia that the best stuff on A Long Hot Summer had, and Ace, as one of hip-hop's all time best storytellers, is as learned and down to earth as he's ever been. Soulful hip-hop, built to last. One of the greats.

Two of my faves of his too! A Long Hot Summer is the only album I really know. Will check out some of the earlier ones now. The new one had some nice tracks too on my first listen, though too many skits. Funnily, Masta Ace was my first live show ever when I was 14 or so. Didn't know him before, just randomly went there.

I dont fuck with Pitchfork at all, but Im DEAD at them calling Logic's album an "alllivesmatter" rap album. Like, this nigga Logic crafted his entire project to cater to the type of people that work for pitchfork and they saw through every bit of it. They was like "nah fam. We'll take a pass on that"
Shit is hilarious.

Koozek

I dont fuck with Pitchfork at all, but Im DEAD at them calling Logic's album an "alllivesmatter" rap album. Like, this nigga Logic crafted his entire project to cater to the type of people that work for pitchfork and they saw through every bit of it. They was like "nah fam. We'll take a pass on that"
Shit is hilarious.
Reading right now.
For a significant portion of the album, Logic stakes a claim to his blackness with receipts, citing his great-grandfather the slave, his cousin Keisha, and saying ”nigga" a few times. None of these race raps do anything meaningful. They say very little about the mechanics of racism and they say next to nothing insightful about being black in America. He spends more time denouncing rioters than killer cops on ”America." Trump gets a single bar of disapproval but Kanye gets several for meeting with him. Logic's calls for civic action seem woefully ignorant to how oppression and white supremacy work—from the role of private prisons and redistricting to stop and frisks. To that end, not once does he consider how being white-passing could skew his perception of what it means to be black. He never even probes what it might mean when people assume that he's white; either he refuses to engage thoughtfully here or he's simply irresponsible. This isn't just lazy, it's messy. It's the #AllLivesMatter of rap albums.

mjlol.png

This was exactly my issue. He's been speaking on current race issues clearly like someone who, outside of the way his own, white mother treated him, didn't experience the same treatment from society as black-passing biracial persons.

Catvoca

Banned
Shit is hilarious.

That whole review is Ether

Two of my faves of his too! A Long Hot Summer is the only album I really know. Will check out some of the earlier ones now. The new one had some nice tracks too on my first listen, though too many skits. Funnily, Masta Ace was my first live show ever when I was 14 or so. Didn't know him before, just randomly went there.

The skits are a part of his style now. Hearing Fats Belvedere again on the new album, fam (; _ ;)

Dereck

Reading right now.
For a significant portion of the album, Logic stakes a claim to his blackness with receipts, citing his great-grandfather the slave, his cousin Keisha, and saying “nigga” a few times. None of these race raps do anything meaningful. They say very little about the mechanics of racism and they say next to nothing insightful about being black in America. He spends more time denouncing rioters than killer cops on “America.” Trump gets a single bar of disapproval but Kanye gets several for meeting with him. Logic’s calls for civic action seem woefully ignorant to how oppression and white supremacy work—from the role of private prisons and redistricting to stop and frisks. To that end, not once does he consider how being white-passing could skew his perception of what it means to be black. He never even probes what it might mean when people assume that he’s white; either he refuses to engage thoughtfully here or he’s simply irresponsible. This isn’t just lazy, it’s messy. It's the #AllLivesMatter of rap albums.

mjlol.png

This was exactly my issue. He's been speaking on current race issues clearly like someone who, outside of the way his own, white mother treated him, didn't experience the same treatment from society as black-passing biracial persons.
Incredible

Nabs

Reading right now.
For a significant portion of the album, Logic stakes a claim to his blackness with receipts, citing his great-grandfather the slave, his cousin Keisha, and saying “nigga” a few times. None of these race raps do anything meaningful. They say very little about the mechanics of racism and they say next to nothing insightful about being black in America. He spends more time denouncing rioters than killer cops on “America.” Trump gets a single bar of disapproval but Kanye gets several for meeting with him. Logic’s calls for civic action seem woefully ignorant to how oppression and white supremacy work—from the role of private prisons and redistricting to stop and frisks. To that end, not once does he consider how being white-passing could skew his perception of what it means to be black. He never even probes what it might mean when people assume that he’s white; either he refuses to engage thoughtfully here or he’s simply irresponsible. This isn’t just lazy, it’s messy. It's the #AllLivesMatter of rap albums.

mjlol.png

QBROicP.gif

Koozek

Katy Perry - Bon Appétit feat. Migos video. The comments 😂

I'm sorry, I'm not even super huge on religion but this is Satanic. The elites are promoting cannibalism & eventually we will find out soon enough that there's actually human DNA in some of the foods we eat now. It will only get worse. Look up "spirit cooking".

this is cannibalism promotion or i missed something ?

some kids will watch and do the same thing wtf is wrong with ppl

Well, what can I say about this Satanic , cannabis, video really. ! besides absolutely ridiculous and pathetic. I've commented on her other video / songas well 'chain to the rhythm' total garbage in my opinion. Let me say Katy Perry among many many other pop singers are puppets of a Very evil and demented Group of The industry. Take a look at Kanye n his story, N the list goes on. ppl need to be awaken to this trash of music n really aware of THE AGENDA of this...... really ???!!! bon appetite, n u r getting cooked etc ready to eat???!!! what on earth is this....... cmon!!! chain to the rhythm: lyrics walk like a zombie , drink this one's on me: crap.... wow. ppl wake up n see how Its all about mind control , #openyoureyes seek Jesus in this end of days. turn from the snares of this wicked world. God blesd

Reading right now.

mjlol.png

still tho 250K first week

logic winning

so much heat on the new payroll album for DBC fans everywhere

then cardo dropping big bossin 2 this summer with him... What did I do to deserve this

HiResDes

LUCKI interview, a lotta rappers talk that Xanax drug shit but listening to Lucki you can really hear how scary and irrational it is. Really feeling Watch My Back, it's got a true paranoid, vulnerability tone to it. It's like I Don't Like Shit if Earl got so Xan'd out he couldn't rap on a high technical level anymore but the metaphors and themes were still present.

Koozek

Only now discovered this:

Last Friday, in between stories about Kendrick not listening to his albums after they're turned in for mastering and DAMN. becoming the highest-selling debut of 2017, DJBooth scribe Miguelito penned a think piece entitled, "Praise & Questions: How Kendrick & Chance Talk to God in Different Ways," which aimed to break down the very different ways the two biggest mainstream religious rappers display their faith.

To our surprise (and excitement), less than 12 hours after publishing Miguelito's article, Kendrick sent us a message, acknowledging that he had read the article and offering a complete explanation as to how he expresses God.

Rather than think piece his response to a think piece—Lord knows, we don't need another think piece—we asked Kendrick for his permission to print his full, unedited message below.

He said yes.

Kendrick Lamar:

Long time no talk. Congrats on the work. Honored to say I still enjoy the write ups. Y'all accuracy lets me know this site has a deep respect for the culture. Much appreciated.

Your latest read is really interesting to me. I didn't expect anyone to catch it. How I express God. I went to a local church some time ago, and it appalled me that the same program was in practice. A program that I seen as a kid the few times I was in service. Praise, dance. Worship. (Which is beautiful.) Pastor spewing the idea of someone's season is approaching. The idea of hope. So on and so forth.

As a child, I always felt this Sermon had an emptiness about it. Kinda one sided, in what I felt in my heart. Fast forward. After being heavily in my studies these past few years, I've finally figured out why I left those services feeling spiritually unsatisfied as a child. I discovered more truth. But simple truth. Our God is a loving God. Yes. He's a merciful God. Yes. But he's even more so a God of DISCIPLE. OBEDIENCE. A JEALOUS God. And for every conscious choice of sin, will be corrected through his discipline. Whether physical or mental. Direct or indirect. Through your sufferings, or someone that's close to [sic] ken. It will be corrected.

Hence the concept "The wages of sin is Death." It shall be corrected. As a community, we was taught to pray for our mishaps, and he'll forgive you. Yes, this is true. But he will also reprimand us as well. As a child, I can't recall hearing this in service. Maybe leaders of the church knew it will run off churchgoers? No one wants to hear about karma from the decisions they make. It's a hard truth. We want to hear about hope, salvation, and redemption. Though his son died for our sins, our free will to make whatever choice we want, still allows him to judge us.

So in conclusion, I feel it's my calling to share the joy of God, but with exclamation, more so, the FEAR OF GOD. The balance. Knowing the power in what he can build, and also what he can destroy. At any given moment.

I love when artists sing about what makes Him happy. My balance is to tell you what will make Him extinguish you. Personally, once that idea of real fear registered in my mind, it made me try harder at choosing my battles wisely. Which will forever be tough, because I'm still of flesh. I wanna spread this truth to my listeners. It's a journey, but it will be my key to the Kingdom. And theirs as well. I briefly touched on it in this album, but when he tells me to react, I will take deeper action.

So thank you for your great work. It inspired me to reply with this long ass message. Hopefully, you'll take the time to read mines like I do yours.​

LUCKI interview, a lotta rappers talk that Xanax drug shit but listening to Lucki you can really hear how scary and irrational it is. Really feeling Watch My Back, it's got a true paranoid, vulnerability tone to it. He can't rap
Don't know him and haven't watched it yet, but quickly read an article about him and damn. Will watch the interview later. This whole Xanax and prescription drugs epidemic in the US is crazy.

LUCKI interview, a lotta rappers talk that Xanax drug shit but listening to Lucki you can really hear how scary and irrational it is. Really feeling Watch My Back, it's got a true paranoid, vulnerability tone to it. It's like I Don't Like Shit if Earl got so Xan'd out he couldn't rap on a high technical level anymore but the metaphors and themes were still present.

Will listen. Xanax is pretty easy to abuse, it's crazy. Never taken them eveb though a few people have suggested them.

Icolin

Banned
Last one reads like a Commentiquette post

I like this one:

The music industry has a lot of creative people in it. What Katy Perry did here is Art. She did not fall under the typical twerking music video but she thought outside of the box and gave us something unique that confuses us (visually) which will make us come back and try and understand it. The music is very good and overall I think it's different and applaud her for not playing safe. 

HiResDes

I remember me when he made this I knew it was really getting ugly - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mksqn0PHNUg

People talk a lot about vulnerability in Future's music but it's mostly shallow and conceited focused on the ill effects to his moral fiber, which was nonexistent way before he ever popped a pill. I've been listening to Lucki for about four years and within that short amount of time you can really hear and see the downward spiral.

I remember me when he made this I knew it was really getting ugly - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mksqn0PHNUg

This is good. Should I go through all his music or is there a specific mixtape/ep I should just pick up?

People talk a lot about vulnerability in Future's music but it's mostly shallow and conceited focused on the ill effects to his moral fiber, which was nonexistent way before he ever popped a pill. I've been listening to Lucki for about four years and within that short amount of time you can really hear and see the downward spiral.

I do find it fun/amusing that basically Future's music is about how shitty of a person he is, but yeah it is fairly shallow.

HiResDes

This is good. Should I go through all his music or is there a specific mixtape/ep I should just pick up?

I do find it fun/amusing that basically Future's music is about how shitty of a person he is, but yeah it is fairly shallow.
He's so xan'd out that it's hard to recommend an entire tape but the ones were he started using most of his production are my favorite including X, Son of Sam, Watch My Back and Body High. You have to be in a certain zone before you listen any of his shit and some tapes I might only love like four or five tracks but those tracks are like brilliant to me. Definitely hard to get into and hard to recommend fully, might just be my own personal thing like Key!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom