• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

He's most certainly off beat at times but no one cares it seems
Says the SoundCloud Rap fan
sass2.png

Nah, I saw a few posters pointing it out, Bounceounce specifically. I think people are wowed by the production and overall package and fail to see he sounds lazy on most tracks. There's a few exceptions of course (Marcy Me notably).
Actually that was the first thing I noticed on the first songs when I listened to it, but I disagree with him sounding "lazy". That chill cadence fits the songs perfectly (EDIT2: though, listening again, he doesn't even rap that mellow on most songs, just a few parts here and there, other than that it's the usual Jay, imo).

EDIT: Where do you think he sounds lazy?

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
HNDRXX is probably Top 5 or at least Top 10 for me, though this year is strange and I'm struggling to put together a list. I've listened to and liked many albums, but nothing really sticked with me that much and I often forgot even the ones I bumped a lot. Also half of it is still stuff from last year.

What would be your Top 5/10 so far, guys?
1: Goldlink - At What Cost (I must've listened to this damn near daily since it came out)
2: Kendrick - DAMN
3: Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
4: DJ Quik and Problem - Rosecrans
5: Migos - Culture (can't believe this dropped this year)

I've also liked J Hus and Jehst's albums but I haven't gone back to them yet enough to rank them.

My queen Lord Narf dropped some fire today.

FZZ

Banned
HNDRXX is probably Top 5 or at least Top 10 for me, though this year is strange and I'm struggling to put together a list. I've listened to and liked many albums, but nothing really sticked with me that much and I often forgot even the ones I bumped a lot. Also half of it is still stuff from last year.

1. Droptopwop
2. Memoirs of a Reaper
3. Culture
4. Beautiful Thugger Girls (only kept 8 songs on the album)
5. 4:44 (only kept 6 songs on the album)

Year has been pretty weak so far

HiiiLife

Nah, I saw a few posters pointing it out, Bounceounce specifically. I think people are wowed by the production and overall package and fail to see he sounds lazy on most tracks. There's a few exceptions of course (Marcy Me notably).

So. MCHG? Didn't plenty of us voice out complaints about the lyrics but enjoyed the production?

Koozek

1. Droptopwop
2. Memoirs of a Reaper
3. Culture
4. Beautiful Thugger Girls (only kept 8 songs on the album)
5. 4:44 (only kept 6 songs on the album)

Year has been pretty weak so far
Droptopwop will definitely be in my list too. Never would've expected to bump a Gucci project that much, lol.

Catvoca

Banned
Unordered favs would be

Kendrick - Damn
J Hus - Common Sense
Goldlink - At What Cost
Smino - Blckswn
Brockhampton - Saturation

Exodust

Banned
I haven't listened to enough rap this year to rank a top 5, but so far Big Fish Theory is my favorite and the only one I hold in a high regard.

In spite of my last post, 4:44 and Damn are enjoyable listens to me. I just don't see wither sticking with me is all.

HiResDes

Trippie Redd - A Love Letter To You
Brockhampton - Saturation
Roc Marciano - Rosebudd's Revenge
Billy Woods - Known Unknowns
Jimi Tents - I Can't Go Home
Kweku Collins - Grey
Kendrick Lamar - DAMN
JID - The Never Story
Goldlink - At What Cost
Quelle Chris - Being You Is Great, I Wish I Could Be You More Often
Porter Ray - Watercolor
Nnamdi Ogbonnaya - Drool
A7PHA - S/T
Step Brothers THREE

Five of those, not sure which five really yet

Oh shit, had no idea there was a new Billy Woods, I need to check that out asap. People just listing the album title had me thinking Three 6 put out a new album with a lazy callback for a title.

I really haven't figured out how to feel about the new Vince Staples. Something about it isn't meshing, the message doesn't seem as clear as Summertime 06 and I haven't found many memorable lines/verses. It's a problem when you grow tired of an album's production and choruses before anything from the verses starts to resonate.

Haven't really kept up in 2017. My favorite discovery this year is Le$.

DominoKid

1. Culture
2. More Life
3. Future Hendrix (may as well call it a double album)
4. Beautiful Thugger Girls
5. Playboi Carti

HiResDes

Oh shit, had no idea there was a new Billy Woods, I need to check that out asap. People just listing the album title had me thinking Three 6 put out a new album with a lazy callback for a title.

I really haven't figured out how to feel about the new Vince Staples. Something about it isn't meshing, the message doesn't seem as clear as Summertime 06 and I haven't found many memorable lines/verses. It's a problem when you grow tired of an album's production and choruses before anything from the verses starts to resonate.

Haven't really kept up in 2017. My favorite discovery this year is Le$.
You never fucked him before? Been making pretty smooth shit since like 2010/2011 with a tape or two dropping every year.

citizentaxman

Neo Member

haven't listened to a huge amount of 2017 releases but so far in no order:
vince staples - big fish theory
jonwayne - rap album two
quelle chris - being you is great
rick ross - rather you than me
freddie gibbs - you only like 2wice
brokhampton - saturation
gucci - drop top wop
kendrick - damn.

not sure if young thug counts as a rap album? also need to spend more time with new p.o.s and dope knife albums but first impressions are good

Actually, I had a CD Walkmen that had built in sound enchantment....and fuck it gave me VASTLY superior sound to any mp3 player; it was amazing how good it sounded. Sadly it broke after dropping it one too many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom