• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koozek

Honorable Mention: NAV
giphy.webp

Jay is certainly off beat at times on 4:44, but I think it's knowingly so. Check the Dumbo thing at the end of the verse on "The Story of OJ", for example. "Conversational" is a term I've seen thrown around a bit, and I agree that what he's going for at times, but unfortunately this is after a number of albums where we've seen his flow deteriorating more and more with what feels like each passing song, so for those of us who've been complaining about it for a while, "conversational" doesn't mean much. There's a gulf between the way he attacks "Marcy Me" and 90% of the other verses on the project. Sure he's dropping knowledge and getting introspective, but the flows/deliveries are boring. So yeah, while there's nothing as bad as the worst stuff on BP3 and MCHG, it's not a "return to form" either.

The return to form, as much as this thread hates to admit, was American Gangster. That was Jay's spike of life on an otherwise flatlined post The Black Album career.

Top whatever of 2017 so far:

- Quelle Chris - Being You Is Great, I Wish I Could Be You More Often
- Sean Leon - I Think You've Gone Mad (Or the Sins of the Father)
- Roc Mariano - Rosebudd's Revenge
- Nnamdi Ogbonnaya - DROOL
- Porter Ray - Watercolor
- Goldlink - At What Cost
- Freddie Gibbs - You Only Live 2wice
- Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
- BONES - Unrendered
- DJ Quik & Problem - Rosecrans
- G Perico - All Blue
- Kweku Collins - Grey
- Azizi Gibson - Memoirs Of The Reaper
- Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory

Which of these will survive the year I don't know, but they're what I've put the most time into. Quik & Problem in particular.

HiResDes

Jay is certainly off beat at times on 4:44, but I think it's knowingly so. Check the Dumbo thing at the end of the verse on "The Story of OJ", for example. "Conversational" is a term I've seen thrown around a bit, and I agree that what he's going for at times, but unfortunately this is after a number of albums where we've seen his flow deteriorating more and more with what feels like each passing song, so for those of us who've been complaining about it for a while, "conversational" doesn't mean much. There's a gulf between the way he attacks "Marcy Me" and 90% of the other verses on the project. Sure he's dropping knowledge and getting introspective, but the flows/deliveries are boring. So yeah, while there's nothing as bad as the worst stuff on BP3 and MCHG, it's not a "return to form" either.

The return to form, as much as this thread hates to admit, was American Gangster. That was Jay's spike of life on an otherwise flatlined post The Black Album career.

Top whatever of 2017 so far:

- Quelle Chris - Being You Is Great, I Wish I Could Be You More Often
- Sean Leon - I Think You've Gone Mad (Or the Sins of the Father)
- Roc Mariano - Rosebudd's Revenge
- Nnamdi Ogbonnaya - DROOL
- Porter Ray - Watercolor
- Goldlink - At What Cost
- Freddie Gibbs - You Only Live 2wice
- Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
- BONES - Unrendered
- DJ Quik & Problem - Rosecrans
- G Perico - All Blue
- Kweku Collins - Grey
- Azizi Gibson - Memoirs Of The Reaper
- Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory

Which of these will survive the year I don't know, but they're what I've put the most time into. Quik & Problem in particular.
Matthew in the Middle is a SOTY contender off the Seon Leon fasho for me.

HiResDes

came across this on twitter, anyone feeling these female mcs from this thread?

https://twitter.com/Drebae_/status/881698882295521280

i like malibu mitch and kush, never heard of most of them
Tink makes fire music, Dreezy has some bangers, Angel Haze was always overrated, Cardi B kinda trash, the rest that I have heard weren't memorable. Thread is garbage.

Ivy Sole probably has my favorite project from a female emcee this year unless you count hybrid pop rap by K. Flay.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Not feeling the Jay Z album. Then again I never really liked Jay Z in the first place. Plus playing through my phone speakers as I clean dishes would do that.

My Top 5 (at least Hip Hop related albums) this year in order:

1. Calvin Harris - Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1 .84
2. Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory .82
3. Migos - Culture - .707
4. Drake - More Life .70
5. Future - HNDRXX .68

PBY

Banned
DroptopWop
Big fish theory
You only live 2wice
Grey EP
Damn

Honorable mention Azizi Gibson. Gotta listen to that Bones record tho

DropTopWop didn't hit for me. That J Hus, while kinda corny in some ways, is definitely awesome. Great summer stuff. For me (just rap):

FUTURE
DAMN
More Life
Kodak (Fuck him tho)
Mr Eazi

Why is Nav such a fucking fat fob

of all the brown people we could have had break out

it had to be him
You're not a real brown boy unless you fuck with NAV by NAV, produced by NAV, written by NAV, featuring NAV.

Swet Shop Boys should've gotten that limelight.

the fuck is sound enhancement. sounds like some bullshit to me

It basically allowed me to significantly raise the levels of bass, treble, and mid ranges, it was amazing. It worked MUCH better and provided a much more significant sound upgrade than a generic EQ Booster. Like, the difference was insane.

Tink makes fire music, Dreezy has some bangers, Angel Haze was always overrated, Cardi B kinda trash, the rest that I have heard weren't memorable. Thread is garbage.

Ivy Sole probably has my favorite project from a female emcee this year unless you count hybrid pop rap by K. Flay.

Ivy Sole's Deep is one of my favorite songs currently. In fact, her entire EAST album is pretty damn good.

HiResDes

It basically allowed me to significantly raise the levels of bass, treble, and mid ranges, it was amazing. It worked MUCH better and provided a much more significant sound upgrade than a generic EQ Booster. Like, the difference was insane.
You never EQ up only down, you're just increasing distortion

Alpende

Just listened to 4:44 and I thought it was pretty good to great. The production is on point, No ID is a genius. Standout track after one listen is Caught Their Eyes.

illadelph

My top 5's looking like

1. DAMN.
2. Snoop - Neva Left
3. 4:44
4. Gucci/Metro - Droptopwop
5. ALL-AMERIKKKAN BADA$$

I need to listen to More Fish.

My top 5 this year:
1. Async by Ryuichi Sakamoto
2. Slowdive by Slowdive
3. Process by Sampha
4. Murder Death of the Universe by King Gizzard
5. Big Fish Theory by Vince Staples

This is just arbitrary ranking, but this looks about right for my top 5 so far.

Reckoner

My top 5 this year:
2. Slowdive by Slowdive
3. Process by Sampha

Thumbs up for that

I will have to include Julie Byrne's album on my top. Her album has been a recurring listen to me.

Icolin

Banned
My top 5 this year:
2. Slowdive by Slowdive
3. Process by Sampha

Nice.

LionPride

Banned
My top 5 this year:
2. Slowdive by Slowdive
3. Process by Sampha

Shit if we doin any genre top albums

1. Damn by K.Dot
2. Process by Sampha
3. Pretty Girls Like Trap Music by 2 Chainz
4. Melodrama by Lorde
5. Ctrl by SZA
6. Harry Styles by Harry Styles
7. What Now by Sylvan Esso
8. Funk Wave Bounces Vol. 1 by Calvin Harris
9. Fin or Drunk by Syd and Thundercat
10. After Laughter by Paramore

Status