• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolOff

You all talking about FLOSS had me going back to this:

7c07d3b8096dd2a1cf8a0a3b24c7d79b.500x500x1.jpg

Such a solid album.

Dereck

Pitchfork just reviewed Ab-Soul's new album and I agree with it. Here are some select quotes.

It’s fitting that Crowley, once dubbed the Wickedest Man in the World and written off as a Satanist for his musings about the supernatural, has been a source of inspiration for TDE’s syllable-twisting, in-house conspiracy theorist, who is becoming so information-obsessed that he seems to be losing sight of actual meaning—perhaps a bit woozy from inhaling around all the tomes and scrolls and manuscripts he’s been dusting off. His songs have become so abstract that very little happens in them anymore; they’re all empty puzzles, mazes made of loosely parsed Greek myths, astrological information, and the unfinished script pages for National Treasure 3, meant to be mind-fucking but revealed to be mush when even gently interrogated.

There’s a song called “Huey Knew THEN.” (Get it?!) It interpolates the “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” theme and he raps “I’m hornier than the brass section of the band, you understand?” This is what would happen if you gave Shia LaBeouf some DMT, a 12th Planet documentary, and a World Religions textbook.
Among the worst songs is “Threatening Nature,” a single that proved to be a microcosm of the entire project. It’s an undercooked concept with even flimsier raps that would get laughed out of a smoke circle of college freshmen: “With all disrespect, I think the American flag was designed by fags,” he says, a line that would probably be repugnantly offensive if it weren't so ridiculous. On “Evil Genius” Soul raps, “I studied theology, ancient philosophy, astronomy, astrology/The current state of the economy/Washington D.C., fossils and dinosaurs/The origin of our species.” Perhaps he should’ve spent a bit more time studying music.

Such a solid album.
It is

Koozek

The German language can never be categorised at smooth.
Do you mean in general? Because I think this song in particular would be an example of how it can sound smooth.

I always wonder how German sounds to others. I think the thing with the jokes about German sounding harsh and aggressive is just the association with old Nazi speech. I could make any language sound like that if I imitated Hitler. It just depends on the intonation, really. As an example with a stark contrast, here the singing sounds smooth and the rapping harsh, don't you think?
https://vimeo.com/6849690

Pitchfork just reviewed Ab-Soul's new album and I agree with it. Here are some select quotes.
LOL, I didn't know Ab-Soul was on that lane. Never followed his stuff.

PlayDat

This is cool, thanks! Yo, either I never noticed it before or this year more female rappers dropped dope projects than ever before. Noname, nokia, Rapsody, Simz, Kodie etc. Anything I missed?

I think it has a lot more to do with shifts in coverage by music outlets and posting habits by people in Gaf-Hop than a sudden surge in talent. Women been rapping since the beginning. By the way Des the first to post about Kodie. That was back in OTXV.

Milly Mango & Jeremiah Jae released Rango back in March.
Kamaiyah's Good Night in the Ghetto was pretty good too.

Just curious, how would y'all compare Kamaiyah's mixtape to Still Brazy? Both have that west coast sound. They also rapped together on Fuck It Up (YG paraphrases Jay Z in his verse so it has the Bounceounce seal of approval) and Why You Always Hatin.

Such a solid album.

Green Tomato Coupe was my shit. Chill Cosby, his mixtape before that one is decent, but not as impressive as Good Blood.

Westside Gunn giving these trap rappers a run for their money with his output recently. I like his style way more than the Futures and Guccis.

Dereck

Brehs

This Injury Reserve album

whew

Gotta love December releases that make you rethink the order of your year end list.
Yeah, December is pretty stacked.

I guess I'll take this opportunity to mention Hodgy Beat's new album.

Thenottheotherside_album_cover.jpg

I think it's his best project, he holds his own, clocking just under 40 minutes. His rapping and charisma is unlike anything he's done before, even better than his MellowHype releases. I enjoyed it more than other projects released this month like Cole's album or Soul's album.

C0VKHq6VIAEY9ia.jpg

He's releasing a new track "Moves" tonight.

Honestly, don't have high hopes for this, but the singles have been an interesting departure for Medium Sean, so I'm intrigued.
That's one hell of an album cover.

Moves

Icolin

Banned
That new Big Sean single is pretty fire, can't lie.

All of the singles so far have been solid, so I'm pretty optimistic for the album.

BOTH the first and second are in my top ten. BOTH!
You can really tell how much Jay Z cares about track.
Like Jay didn't just write it, he rapped it to Premier over the phone, told him that he wanted scratches on the track, picked the scratches and told him where to put them, and told him the track tone and picked the keys,
That tells you how much he cared about it.
It's essentially three perfect verses.
I love that the second verse is essentially nearly all build up to one massive punchline, also it has a really abnormal structure for a rap verse.
Every line is one half of a piece of the reply with a response after to cap it off, honestly they're pretty much couplets, every lines the textbook definition of a couplet.
The third verse is probably my favorite though, or at least initially was I'm not sure any more, it's insane.
What do you love about it?
Edit:Also the grew repetition, love that

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Someone post that picture of the evolution chart that had thugga and migos at the top (and chief keef was an alien) I need it.

HiiiLife

Like this Roy Woods more than Waking At Dawn tbh. I just wish Dom would be more reminiscent of his Yellow Album / Westside with Love vibes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom