• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Justice League : F2P fantasy football 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

That is true, but those two teams were also already loaded. When you can trade away Trent Richardson and Calvin Johnson, or Victor Cruz and Jason Witten, without breaking a sweat, I mean shit :p I always felt like a little PPR helps balance RBs with WRs (in most cases)

It was Andre Johnson I believe, the guy whose QB is currently imploding.
:(

Jayhawk

Yes, this is what I'm talking about. I see how they have it set up, and it's nice as a little "side playoffs" thing, but last year I specifically remember that there was no "Sacko Bowl" or other equivalent. After the first week of the playoffs, matchups are determined by your "playoff record," rather than on your overall record, so you a) aren't guaranteed a Sacko Bowl and b) aren't even guaranteed that the person with the worst record will finish "last."

I wanted to possibly use a different format that would be basically a round-robin type deal for the first two weeks, and the last week have 3v4, 5v6, 7v8, etc.

Not enough playoff weeks to have a round-robin between 6 teams.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Not enough playoff weeks to have a round-robin between 6 teams.

I know, bad word choice, I meant a more open-ended formula. Here is the type of thing I was thinking about:

Week 1: 7v12, 8v11, 9v10
Week 2 (adding 5 and 6 after they lose in winner’s bracket): 5v8, 6v7, 9v12, 10v11
Week 3 (adding 3 and 4 after they lose in winner’s bracket): 3v4, 5v6, 7v8, 9v10, 11v12 (Sacko Bowl!)

Teams that lose in the winner’s bracket would come into the loser’s bracket as the top 2 seeds the following week. Seeds and matchups would be reset (manually) each week, going by overall record then head to head record then total points for. I'd have to figure out how to seed 3+ teams tied with the same record, but I'm sure there's a way to work that out right? That's the gist of it anyway

It was Andre Johnson I believe, the guy whose QB is currently imploding.
:(

Haha I got ya, I see what you mean. I guess I can only speak for myself, but I needed WR and flex production stat and Rice wasn't helping me, so I pulled the trigger on it. I still feel good about the trade even if it did serve to feed the beast a little bit. I gotta look out for #1 and right now #1 is in danger of being in the bottom league next year :p

DarkFlow

Banned
So I need a QB, right now I've been patch working the slot with Wilson and Pryor. I have Jordan Cameron up for offer, and Richardson if anyone wants his ass. What do you think I could get?

I'd have to figure out how to seed 3+ teams tied with the same record, but I'm sure there's a way to work that out right? That's the gist of it anyway
I would go by most points scored, and work down from there.

Yeah, talking top tier. 1/2 pt PPR or not, we're still talking about the top backs. And PPR makes some of them even more elite.

I mean, our top two teams just added Lynch and Rice. That's significant.
I'd typically agree with you. However, Jayhawk is dominating with (what I thought before week one to be) the second worse RB core I've ever seen in my life (no offense), so idk what to believe in anymore

And sorry to whoever sent me the Rivers trade. I declined before I even saw who sent it. I HATE Rivers with a passion: I wouldn't trade David Akers for him after he single-handedly killed my team TWICE in the past

That is true, but those two teams were also already loaded. When you can trade away Trent Richardson and Calvin Johnson, or Victor Cruz and Jason Witten, without breaking a sweat, I mean shit :p I always felt like a little PPR helps balance RBs with WRs (in most cases)
I definitely was worried about the trade. I traded away the #1 WR for two Flex plays with a high upside. I don't worry about Bell or Witten though, since they weren't starting anytime soon anyways, but Cruz hurt the soul. I feel Rice was worth the risk though

Jayhawk

I'd typically agree with you. However, Jayhawk is dominating with (what I thought before week one to be) the second worse RB core I've ever seen in my life (no offense), so idk what to believe in anymore

Haha. No offense taken. Even I hated my RB group after the draft, but I managed the best I could since none of the RBs I wanted at my draft picks were available. For my 1st round pick, I wasn't buying the CJ Spiller hype to take him ahead of Megatron. LeSean McCoy would have been a better pick, but I wasn't sure about his impact in the Chip Kelly offense before the season to take him over Megatron. I didn't like Gore, MJD, or Ridley over Manning for 2nd round. I was hoping I would be able to nab Reggie Bush in round 3, but the best RB available by the time I was able to pick was... McFadden... no thanks. I knew Woodhead and Sproles would be okay RB2 and flex options for a 0.5 PPR league and I was lucky to be able to draft both of them. I fucked up by taking Montee Ball instead of Eric Decker though during round 5 though.

EDIT: Haha. The Rivers proposal was from me. You were the only person with an RB2 on the trading block that had 'QB' under Needs. I'm looking for a RB2 or WR2-caliber player for Rivers.

Haha. No offense taken. Even I hated my RB group after the draft, but I managed the best I could since none of the RBs I wanted at my draft picks were available. For my 1st round pick, I wasn't buying the CJ Spiller hype to take him ahead of Megatron. LeSean McCoy would have been a better pick, but I wasn't sure about his impact in the Chip Kelly offense before the season to take him over Megatron. I didn't like Gore, MJD, or Ridley over Manning for 2nd round. I was hoping I would be able to nab Reggie Bush in round 3, but the best RB available by the time I was able to pick was... McFadden... no thanks. I knew Woodhead and Sproles would be okay RB2 and flex options for a 0.5 PPR league and I was lucky to be able to draft both of them. I fucked up by taking Montee Ball instead of Eric Decker though during round 5 though.

EDIT: Haha. The Rivers proposal was from me. You were the only person with an RB2 on the trading block that had 'QB' under Needs. I'm looking for a RB2 or WR2-caliber player for Rivers.
Damn, yeah you dodged A LOT of bullets in the draft. And yeah Forte would work for your team, but there's no way I'd take Rivers and no way you'd give up Manning without half of my team in return.

Edit: wait, when did the trade deadline get axed??? Not a big fan of that, although if everyone else agrees I won't be complaining. That's just...weird, though

Vyer

Sure, I get that. But some fellow named Peyton seems to have a little something to do with that too. :)

Jayhawk

Sure, I get that. But some fellow named Peyton seems to have a little something to do with that too. :)

Surprisingly, I would say only my week 1 win was due to Manning. The other three wins would have been wins even with a 10 point QB performance.

Vyer

Surprisingly, I would say only my week 1 win was due to Manning. The other three wins would have been wins even with a 10 point QB performance.

Sure, but you've only really had one week where Sproles and Woodhead both went off. I think Sproles has only had like 1 or 2 double digit games, and in week 1 I don't think you even started Woodhead.

You are very well rounded. But a couple of those hypothetical 10 point Manning performances and no Pierre Thomas 25-point-game-what! puts your record right back with the pack. I'm just saying I don't think that really lessens the value of top tier RBs all that much is all.

Jayhawk

Sure, but you've only really had one week where Sproles and Woodhead both went off. I think Sproles has only had like 1 or 2 double digit games, and in week 1 I don't think you even started Woodhead.

You are very well rounded. But a couple of those hypothetical 10 point Manning performances and no Pierre Thomas 25-point-game-what! puts your record right back with the pack. I'm just saying I don't think that really lessens the value of top tier RBs all that much is all.

I had Hillman or Ball in place of Woodhead week 1. :(
I would say there are only a handful of top-tier RBs right now, and the only one I had a chance at drafting was McCoy. I'd sure love to have any of them.

Getting lucky off big performances from flex players and such is what makes fantasy football fun to participate in. There sure is a lot of luck involved in a head-to-head league. I hate seeing weeks where 2nd highest scoring team loses to 1st highest scoring team from that week, or 2nd lowest scoring team beats lowest scoring team from that week.

Vyer

I had Hillman or Ball in place of Woodhead week 1. :(
I would say there are only a handful of top-tier RBs right now, and the only one I had a chance at drafting was McCoy. I'd sure love to have any of them.

Getting lucky off big performances from flex players and such is what makes fantasy football fun to participate in. There sure is a lot of luck involved in a head-to-head league. I hate seeing weeks where 2nd highest scoring team loses to 1st highest scoring team from that week, or 2nd lowest scoring team beats lowest scoring team from that week.

Yeah, definitely. It's what I both love and hate about playing, lol.

Arkos

Edit: wait, when did the trade deadline get axed??? Not a big fan of that, although if everyone else agrees I won't be complaining. That's just...weird, though

Sorry, I just took it down earlier while I was doing some stuff because I meant to ask you guys about it. Are you guys cool with a trade deadline? I meant for it to be proportional to the NFL deadline, I think it was set for Oct 30th. What do yall think. One of the main reasons I set it up was to prevent shady playoff trades, but the trades take 2 days and we all seem to be pretty un-shady so I also didn't know if it would be necessary.

So I was offered this trade in a different league:

My Alfred Morris for his T.Y. Hilton + Trent Richardson. He also offered a separate trade my D. Murray for the same two players.

Here's my team:

QB: Rivers, E. Manning
WR: C. Johnson, Nicks, J. Jones, K. Allen, Harvin
RB: Morris, Murray, Lacy
TE: Cameron, Fleener
K: Novak
D/ST: Bengals

What do you guys think?

So I was offered this trade in a different league:

My Alfred Morris for his T.Y. Hilton + Trent Richardson. He also offered a separate trade my D. Murray for the same two players.

Here's my team:

QB: Rivers, E. Manning
WR: C. Johnson, Nicks, J. Jones, K. Allen, Harvin
RB: Morris, Murray, Lacy
TE: Cameron, Fleener
K: Novak
D/ST: Bengals

What do you guys think?
I would've taken the Murray one in a heartbeat, but I'm still fairly high on T-Rich. It honestly depends on if you think he'll pick it up and become a top 10 RB again.

nothing worse than that.

I would've taken the Murray one in a heartbeat, but I'm still fairly high on T-Rich. It honestly depends on if you think he'll pick it up and become a top 10 RB again.

Yeah it's tough. I had T-Rich on my team last year and fell in love with his production. I really like Murray and Morris, though.

Funny you should say that. I just offered you Chris Johnson and Richardson for Forte. Deal?
Just saw it. The main (really, only) thing holding me back was that both have week 8 byes too (along with Rice). I'll just hold on and hope I can flip Forte for a QB, which I believe is my notable weakness

Sorry, I just took it down earlier while I was doing some stuff because I meant to ask you guys about it. Are you guys cool with a trade deadline? I meant for it to be proportional to the NFL deadline, I think it was set for Oct 30th. What do yall think. One of the main reasons I set it up was to prevent shady playoff trades, but the trades take 2 days and we all seem to be pretty un-shady so I also didn't know if it would be necessary.
I'd say keep it where it was. Might as well, so that no last minute mega trade goes on the week before the playoffs that can screw everything up

Arkos

He's a IRL friend of SuicideUZI, ask him. afaik they're both still playing (farmer is just having a rough go of it so far)

Edit: not everybody is gonna be hip to trades in this league yet, it is a casual / f2p league after all, only sweat it if they don't play. we'll try to improve over time. being bad is totally fine, just look at my team

Teptom

If anyone in GL3 wants to trade, I'm open to offers. I like my team right now, but if the right deal comes along...

Looking at the schedule is depressing. The next few weeks look to be tough as hell. Hopefully the LM's new team name for next week will give my team some luck

Arkos

Looking at the schedule is depressing. The next few weeks look to be tough as hell. Hopefully the LM's new team name for next week will give my team some luck

Not gonna happen! I'll spend this afternoon picking out a good team name for you.

Arkos

I'm going to simulate my custom playoff structure (because ESPN's makes no sense) in weeks 6-8, 9-11, and 12&13 (partial sim). So before the end of the season we'll get 3 different views of how the playoffs might work and we can make tweaks accordingly. I'll explain the logic behind my seeding and why ESPN is stupid if you're interested. Obviously I'll get results of mixed usefulness with each sim, but I'll keep you guys updated on any issues or oddities that come up.

Sim 1 playoffs (starting week 6)

1. SHP 4-1 bye
2. Foster 4-1 bye

4. Only 3-2
5. Sorry 3-2
(winner plays SHP)

6. Stonk 3-2
3. Russell 3-2
(winner plays Foster)

Sim 1 loser's bracket

7. LLC 2-3
12. Stup 1-4

8. Llamas 2-3
11. Goodell 1-4

9. Ponder 2-3
10. Gill 2-3

Full loser's bracket structure

Week 1: 7v12, 8v11, 9v10
Week 2 (adding 5 and 6 after they lose in winner’s bracket): 5v8, 6v7, 9v12, 10v11
Week 3 (adding 3 and 4 after they lose in winner’s bracket): 3v4, 5v6, 7v8, 9v10, 11v12 (Sacko Bowl!)

Loser's bracket seeds will be reset manually each week (incoming teams from winner's bracket will always be top two seeds that week).

Basic tiebreaker structure:

1. Overall record
2. Head to head record
3. Total points for

Division record might need to be added somewhere as a tiebreaker when the records and ties get more complex, but we'll deal with that when we get there (that's what a sim is for!). Give me any feedback,, etc, I'll post the outcomes each week so we can all see how the playoffs would theoretically work and tweak them before we actually get there.

Playoffs will be standardized across all leagues if that's cool.

this is just a sim and has no actual impact on the league at all

Jayhawk

Ugh, Megatron another game-time decision. Looks like I'll be benching him just to be safe, since I will be going out for lunch and can't make last minute changes.

Arkos

My exact first thought, haha. I understood after a second though. He's simulating three different playoff structures, starting with the real-world data as it stands.

Bingo! Like I said I can explain the structure if you want even more info :p

Here comes the pain Sorry

My exact first thought, haha. I understood after a second though. He's simulating three different playoff structures, starting with the real-world data as it stands.

Bingo! Like I said I can explain the structure if you want even more info :p

Here comes the pain Sorry
That's what I don't get: why do all of this? Just follow the typical espn way, and if someone is tied for 8th, just go off of Points for/division record/h2h record. No need besides that to bring in everyone who didn't make the playoffs. Maybe do the 'all possibilities' approach if you want, but there shouldn't be this much thought going into determining this

And prepare to fear small hands and co

Arkos

That's what I don't get: why do all of this? Just follow the typical espn way, and if someone is tied for 8th, just go off of Points for/division record/h2h record. No need besides that to bring in everyone who didn't make the playoffs. Maybe do the 'all possibilities' approach if you want, but there shouldn't be this much thought going into determining this

And prepare to fear small hands and co

Just because I looked into how ESPN does it and found that their system doesn't seem to make much sense, and since final standings will determine which league people are in each year I figured they should be done right. And I'm just going to sim the same structure 2 2/3 times to make sure it works as intended.

And I decided on Nursed until Age 9

Vernon Davis is going to win me my week. Dude's on fucking fire.

32.6 points and it's not even halftime.

Same here. A couple bad plays on my half(Ginn over Andre Johnson, Bears over Chiefs) plus my team not showing up, Schaub(bye week for Matt Ryan), C. Johnson...and Vernon Davis has cancelled that all out. Up 7 points and he still has Boldin while I still have Davis and T. Richardson.

Yeah he's pretty much sinking me right now. He has Davis, I have Graham who has ZERO fucking points.

Graham left early I thought.

Welp, looks like I win. Up by 1 point with Luck and Murray still to go. 5-1. Last couple of years I started 1-4 or 2-3 so it's nice having shit go right for once.

Arkos

Oh man I need 5 points from Vinatierri tomorrow night to win. Andre Ellingon for 17.7 points tho, not a bad play if I do say so myself.

Vyer

Woodhead, imma need you to be really shitty tonight, mmkay? Can you do that for me?

Also, will Vinatieri get it done for Arkos?!?

and fuuuuuuu at losing Shorts. Took me too long to realize dude was getting legit WR2 numbers and of course I won't capitalize now that he's injured. grr...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom