• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays: Diablo 2

MedIC86

I liked the exploit factor and shit of diablo 2 but i hope diablo 3 will be a lot more solid in terms of security etc, i can miss all those items for a bit more secure play (with legit items)

TheExodu5

Banned
What's really weird about D2 is that it's basically balanced with exploits in mind. I mean, how many legit zod runes actually drop in the game? Can't be too many.

TheExodu5

Banned
The official IRC channel will be #gaf_d2 on GameSurge. Got it registered. I'll post a mibbit link and info in the OP shortly.

TheExodu5 said:
The Mac version is only for PowerPC, I think.

Really. I started installing it a couple weeks ago but never let it finish. I'll try it out when I get home tonight.

Did a little reading on it and from what I can tell the Blizzard download version is a mac os X installer. and should work.

Furio53

Im going to repost my stuff so you can add me to the list.

Furio53 - Furio53 - Furioess (sorceress)

Add me to your friends anyone, Ill be on very soon. Only like lvl 3

V_Arnold

Damn, call me crazy but I actually fired up the old laptop for this (XP, no too big resolution sheningans, no compatibility issues - and no online, hell yeah :( - and had an idea.

Would soloing to hell work with a Skeletal Mage + Poision Nova + Bone Wall/Prison + Curses Necro? Kinda micro-intensive, but that is more than okay, SCII already gave me the neccessary dexterity.

Dresden

V_Arnold said:
Damn, call me crazy but I actually fired up the old laptop for this (XP, no too big resolution sheningans, no compatibility issues - and no online, hell yeah :( - and had an idea.

Would soloing to hell work with a Skeletal Mage + Poision Nova + Bone Wall/Prison + Curses Necro? Kinda micro-intensive, but that is more than okay, SCII already gave me the neccessary dexterity.
Too many points spread out.

TheExodu5

Banned
Awww yeah.

insight.png

coopolon

I just got my ass handed to me by Duriel as a summon necromancer. PRetty sure I can't beat him without decrepify, and I'm only level 22.

Trying to decide if it's even worth trying to go back and get my gear, I didn't have anything that awesome anyway and my build doesn't really depend that much on it.

If I leave this game, will his chamber be open next time or will I have to go and get the entire staff again?

coopolon

Kalnos said:
You don't have to do it again.

Even though I didn't kill him? How will I know which tomb it is, is it the same one or will I have to go through the arcane sanctuary again as well?

coopolon

Updated the list of people interested for the OP.

GAF username - Account Name - class
TheExodu5 - TheExodu5 - Wind Druid
Goldmund - Goldmund - Zealadin
cwmartin - cwmartin
gijoccin - Whattattattadoo - zealot
iamblades - iamblades - barbarian
Freakinchair - freakinchair - Summoning Druid
Saige – LargeAxe - Barbarian
CrunchyFrog - CrunchyFrog09 - meteorb sorc
JakOfTheShadows - JakOfTheDead - Fishymancer
Spirit_of_Jazz - Spirit_of_Jazz - Bowazon
Human_Shield - Human_ShieldX - Barbarian
CCBFAN - CCBFan - lightning sorc
Quagm1r3 - ItzaTrapper - Trapsin
Saige - saige121 -
dragonflys545 - fireflys545 - Orb Sorc
Coopolon - Coopolon - summoning necromancer
Akitasha - dZ_Zb - Orb Sorc
Nekofrog - Nekofrog - Hammerdin
Furio53 - Furioess - Sorceress
AlimNassor - VictorSavage - paladin
KKRT00 - KKRT - assasin
Syril - Syril - Martial Arts ASsassin
jasonng - jasonng - Trap assassin
Jinko - Jinko - Necromancer
Furio53 - Furio53 - sorceress
Razorskin - Razorskin - Paladin
Mazre - Mazre - Amazon
The Frankman - The_Frankman - Paladin
GiJocin - gijoccin

Man, I cannot kill Duriel for the life of me. Even with 8 skeles, decrepify, and my merc I can only get him to about 1/4 of his life. And I can't really do anything but sit back and watch because there's no ammunition - no corpses to explode or replace my skeletons with.

I have one bone spear because of my wand, I guess what I will do is decrepify, then even after everyone else is dead just spam it. It'll take awhile and a lot of potions though.

Furio53

sounds like you need help :p I'm only lvl 17 so not quite to duriel yet, but I'll be in IRC later this afternoon and maybe when I get there I can help you out, or you can run through some act 2 quests again :)

iamblades

coopolon said:
I just got my ass handed to me by Duriel as a summon necromancer. PRetty sure I can't beat him without decrepify, and I'm only level 22.

Trying to decide if it's even worth trying to go back and get my gear, I didn't have anything that awesome anyway and my build doesn't really depend that much on it.

If I leave this game, will his chamber be open next time or will I have to go and get the entire staff again?

TP chain him..

Go in with your golem and skellies and your merc, amp damage him, go until your merc is at 50% hp then tp out and get your skellies back up and go again. about 4-5 trips should do it.

Total pain in the ass, but it's doable, i just did it earlier today on a summon necro i rolled because i've been having terrible luck finding gear for my barb so i wanted to play a char i could use naked if i wanted for a bit.

Duriel is possibly the hardest boss in the game on normal difficulty for the squishier characters. No where to kite him, no corners to run around. Even Diablo is easier than duriel provided you can avoid the pink lightning.

coopolon

iamblades said:
TP chain him..

Go in with your golem and skellies and your merc, amp damage him, go until your merc is at 50% hp then tp out and get your skellies back up and go again. about 4-5 trips should do it.

Total pain in the ass, but it's doable, i just did it earlier today on a summon necro i rolled because i've been having terrible luck finding gear for my barb so i wanted to play a char i could use naked if i wanted for a bit.

Duriel is possibly the hardest boss in the game on normal difficulty for the squishier characters. No where to kite him, no corners to run around. Even Diablo is easier than duriel provided you can avoid the pink lightning.

HE doesn't heal when you leave? Holy crap, that changes everything. I just assumed once you left through a TP he'd heal up.

TheExodu5

Banned
coopolon said:
Updated the list of people interested for the OP.

Much appreciated! I was a little hooked to the game last night and didn't take the time to update the OP. Don't really have the time to do it at work either.

Thanks!

I_D

I definitely want to play again.

Account: Immortal_Daemon
Character: Immortal_Daemon
Build: Frenzy Barbarian

I have Chatzilla but no idea how to use it. Can anybody explain how?
EDIT: Nevermind, that wasn't too tough.

On right now until late-ish tonight.

EDIT:
Work in the morning, stopped at Andy. I'll pick up again tomorrow and try to catch up.

Fugu

V_Arnold said:

This is a late response, but this build is definitely possible... sort of.

Poison nova builds with strong skeletons are viable specifically because poison nova only takes 60 points to synergize, including the 20 it takes for poison nova. Skeletons only take 40 points, but it is not practical to max both as you *will* need lower resist for poison nova and you will probably want a clay golem, too. So you should expect that, after all is said and done, that you will have somewhere around 30 points to throw around into skeletons. This doesn't really leave you any room to get a decent bone prison but I don't know why you would use it anyway, and if you don't need it to have thousands of health, it will work fine with only one point (assuming you have some decent gear).

Having said that, you should know that skeleton mages are horrible and that while this build is possible, it's sort of a waste of points. If you want to invest into some kind of a minion, you should make it regular skeletons, not mages.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
General Summon build for me now a days since patch 1.11 is:

20 Skeletons
1-4 Mage
1 Revive
20 Skeleton Mastery

1 Gol Mastery
1 Clay
1 Blood

Then 1 in each of the curses.

+Skill equipment to buff the skeletons/speed up the "climb to 20" as needed. This will let you mostly solo Normal with a few trouble spots.

I can't say how viable Poison would be if you dropped the curses. Poison, like elemental Sorcs get nerfed HARD on anything above Normal due to the resists of the monsters. I, personally, wouldn't use poison above Normal because of that.

Bonemancers seem to be okay, but I've never honestly gone that route.

And I still say Skeletons and summons in general now a days are pretty goddamn weak even with synergy. Even the curses don't help out too well if you're soloing NM, but that's probably my gear (+Skills) in general.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
i might wanna get in on this. how big a party size do you guys usually play with

Top Bottom