• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays: Diablo 2

Fugu

It was added in 1.13, and you can do it an infinite amount of times with a drop you get from hell act bosses.

coopolon

Acct: Coopolon
Character: Coopolon
Class: Summoning Necromancer. Hopefully it's not too newb unfriendly.

No one is in gaf. It's okay, I should probably learn how to play the game again first.

Syril

Geez, I'd love to join you guys, but I'm rediscovering the joys of classic PC gaming. And by joys, I mean searching for the fucking CD. Again.

Sigh, at least I won't have to reinstall it...

coopolon

Syril said:
Geez, I'd love to join you guys, but I'm rediscovering the joys of classic PC gaming. And by joys, I mean searching for the fucking CD. Again.

Sigh, at least I won't have to reinstall it...

Do you still have your cd key? You can register it on Battle.net and never use the CD again.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Okay grabbing client from battle net

Account Name: Akitasha
Character Name: dZ_Zb
Orb Sorc First Time Around lol...

Cantaloup

Brobzoid said:
is it possible to get this working on a modern mac short of installing windows?

Diablo II will work on a modern Intel-based Mac using Rosetta, which allows you to run PowerPC applications. Blizzard's page on the subject:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20763

Rosetta is an optional install on 10.6. I believe if you try to launch a PPC app, Mac OS X will offer to install it for you. More info:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/27987.html

Unfortunately, it looks like 10.7 (Lion) will no longer support Rosetta. :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Cantaloup said:
Unfortunately, it looks like 10.7 (Lion) will no longer support Rosetta. :(

Yeah, that's going to kill Starcraft, Diablo 1/2, Warcraft 2/3 on Macs. But that's not a huge deal if the Mac's able to run 10.7 are able to run Diablo 3?

Lucario

Anyone who wants to join without paying $9 a key for something likely in use (or hell, $30), I've got some extras from a while back I bought in bulk. Some might be muted in public chat (bought 'em from an ex-botter), but they're all at least functional. PM me and we can work out a price or trade. (I can't give 'em away for free anymore :( they were kind of expensive.)

I really hate charging other GAFfers for shit, but better than even more money going to keysellers >_>

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Unknown Soldier said:
Intel Macs can all run Windows with Bootcamp and then they can play all these games natively as the Windows versions.

Some people don't want to get Win XP, Vista, 7 to run games that used to run native, you know? Nor put harddrive space for said Windows to run said previous native applications.

Fugu

Kalnos said:
Can HC characters only trade with other HC? I forgot.
Yeah, they can only trade or meaningfully interact with other HC characters.

24FrameDaVinci said:
Not one screenshot of some epic lootz posted in this thread? I am dissapoint.
nxsuwm.png

Found it myself.

jns

Thanks a lot for this thread guys, It's not like I had anything else to play from my back log and just finished another full run through TQ about 2 months ago, *goes and re-installs D2*

I really appreciate these reminders >:E

forget about deusexplayagin.jpg fkn D2 and TQ are my crack.

KKRT00

Oh fuck You TheExodu5 ;\
I've just started exams and now i'm deleting mods from my diablo 2 folder ...

Now, what class should i choose - sorc/assasin/amazon ...

BTW, are You using any irc channel? I'm on on quakenet and stratics, but can connect wherever You want.

KKRT00

And about rules.
Any interactions with other players/servers are forbidden?
What about joining Tomb/Baalruns server to make Tristan runs by ourselves? Is increasing drop/exp rate without interactions with others also forbidden?

Char:
KKRT - assasin [probably melee]

TheExodu5

Banned
KKRT00 said:
And about rules.
Any interactions with other players/servers are forbidden?
What about joining Tomb/Baalruns server to make Tristan runs by ourselves? Is increasing drop/exp rate without interactions with others also forbidden?

Char:
KKRT - assasin [probably melee]

All interactions with other players and servers are forbidden. Imagine that the rest of bnet doesn't exist.

Anyways, I'm going to have to wait until tonight to update the OP with the new additions.

Ourobolus

Banned
I really need to stop reading this thread. :p

All right, if you guys are still doing this when I finish my Morrowind playthrough, I'll jump in. Never did play a Necro or a Druid. Recommendations?

TheExodu5

Banned
Ourobolus said:
All right, if you guys are still doing this when I finish my Morrowind playthrough, I'll jump in. Never did play a Necro or a Druid. Recommendations?

Fire Druid is pretty damned good so far. I'll be switching over to Wind at some point (less immunity headaches + slowing ability). Wind is not very item dependent either. The most important piece is a merc weapon that adds Decrepify, apparently...not too hard to obtain (either unique thresher, or amn + lem + ko).

Since respecing is in at least you'd be able to try a few builds.

KKRT00

We really need irc channel for faster communication.

Maybe quakenet? I'm there on #gaf_d2 channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W66gBRwQq_w
BTW I recommend this Hardcore Let's Play for everyone who dont know how to play diablo, or never played it too much and online. He shows how to play this game and give advices and tricks, really good let's play.

KKRT00

I've got some good starting items for:

Necro:
Preserved Head
+2 to Raise Skeleton Master / +1 Bone Armor / +2 Amplify Damage
Add 2-7 poison damage over 3s
Superior Wand
+1 Skeleton Mastery / +1 Teeth / +1 Amplify Damage

Barbarian
Jawbone Cap (grey)
+2 Mace mastery / +1 sword mastery
2 sockets
Scimitar
2-6 damage
14% to demons and 60 AT against them
1-2 fire
6% mana and 4% life stolen

Druid:
Hawk Head
+3 Lycanthropy /+1 Werewolf / Ethereal
Wolf Head
+1 maul / +1 Poison creeper / 26% poison duration length reduced / some other crap (good for andariel)
Wolf Head
+1 Poison creeper / +1 Werewolf / +2 Molten Boulder / fire resist 9%

Jesus, i hate lack of slots in D2 and no item export function ;\

Ps. I think we need topic for this kind of stuff :p [in community section]

Fugu

TheExodu5 said:
Fire Druid is pretty damned good so far. I'll be switching over to Wind at some point (less immunity headaches + slowing ability). Wind is not very item dependent either. The most important piece is a merc weapon that adds Decrepify, apparently...not too hard to obtain (either unique thresher, or amn + lem + ko).

Since respecing is in at least you'd be able to try a few builds.
I disagree about wind not being item-dependent. It's difficult for wind to not get stonewalled by immunes without good gear due to a complete lack of an off-skill. Having a wand with amplify damage charges goes a long way, though. It ultimately won't help the fact that you'll be basically a weak sorceress until you get good gear; I wouldn't totally recommend it untwinked.

Necromancers, however, do just fine as summon untwinked because amp breaks almost all physical immunes and corpse explosion is stupid powerful. Poison is... doable but you're going to hate yourself for a lot of the game due to the initially small damage. Bone is also doable but so very, very boring until you get bone spear and enough mana to use it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Fugu said:
I disagree about wind not being item-dependent. It's difficult for wind to not get stonewalled by immunes without good gear due to a complete lack of an off-skill. Having a wand with amplify damage charges goes a long way, though. It ultimately won't help the fact that you'll be basically a weak sorceress until you get good gear; I wouldn't totally recommend it untwinked.

Wind druids do cold + physical damage. Immunes are rarely an issue. They're one of the most survivable classes out there, IMO. Get decrepify on your merc, and then you'll break physical immunity and double your damage as well.

Plus, hey, I'll be playing with a friend, so we shouldn't have too much trouble with immunes!

KKRT00 said:
Ok giveaway items list [its faster via screens]:
http://kkrt.imgur.com/d2items#QkbC3

Thanks for putting stuff up! I should do the same.

Sadly, no windy items there. :(

KKRT00 said:
We really need irc channel for faster communication.

Maybe quakenet? I'm there on #gaf_d2 channel

Good idea. I was going to put up my vent, but it's only a 10 slot, and not everyone has a mic. IRC is a good bet. I'll try to get a mibbit link in the OP.

I think I'll make it on GameSurge...always had a better experience with them over QuakeNet. Oh, and apparently QuakeNet isn't on mibbit, which would hurt our attendance, since not everyone wants mIRC.

MedIC86

TheExodu5 said:
Most certainly. There's an anni and hellfire lc as well.

No wai thats legit!

i had 5 anni's and a few gheeds charms on different chars, never saw the uber diablo :p but well you know how we roll in pre nerf diablo 2

TheExodu5

Banned
All of my high end gear always came from d2jsp trades. It's so easy to trade low end runes for fg, and then buy off hrs and other items. That's why I want to restrict this playthrough to only things we will get, so that we're not tainted by the overabundance of duped hrs and the like.

My last great character was a lightning sorc. So much fun. ~70k lightning damage, with zero immunes (with an infinity merc). Not gonna happen in our playthrough though, since you need some very expensive gear for that.

Top Bottom