• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays: Diablo 2

iamblades

Maccas said:
Is it worth putting Spirit in a weapon for a Sorceress? They're pretty low runes so it shouldn't be too much trouble getting them again. I thought it was only for shields. I'm level 27 now so it is going to be a while before getting occy/heart.

Spirit is an awesome runeword for any caster and cheap too.

If you can find a 4 socket sword with low enough reqs so you don't have to waste stat points to eq it, why not?

Those runes are basically free.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ugh just rolled 8 spirits and the best I got was 30fcr. fml.

Trying for double 35fcr spirits, since it's the only reliable way for me to reach the 99fcr breakpoint without resulting to fcr rings or helms.

Maccas

So it took me 40 minutes to realise I cannot buy a 4 socket broadsword from Fara. I'm glad I was doing other things at the same time.

Edit: I'll trade you the runes for one of those exodus, I'm so far away from desired breakpoint it doesn't really matter (if it is crystal or broadsword). I'm nowhere near the shield yet.

Fugu

Maccas said:
Is it worth putting Spirit in a weapon for a Sorceress? They're pretty low runes so it shouldn't be too much trouble getting them again. I thought it was only for shields. I'm level 27 now so it is going to be a while before getting occy/heart.
Rare sorc weapons can generate the skills to match Spirit but not the FCR. It's a worthwhile poverty weapon.

I am playing on EU servers, just started playing D2 seriously again! Can I easily switch to US servers and play with you guys? I don't mind starting again as I am a lowbie anyways :)

cwmartin

Haven't been able to play in 2 days and it hurts sooo bad, even though i'm only level 14, haha. My bud Maccas is way out in front now! :(

TheExodu5

Banned
Fallout-NL said:
What's the deal with those newly implemented respecs anyway? Are those limitless or do they start costing money at some point?

You get one for each difficulty, after completing the Den of Evil.

After that, further respecs require farming drops off Andy/Meph/Diablo/Baal in Hell. You need one drop off each boss, and I believe the drops are a 1/13 chance.

bullet_happy said:
I am playing on EU servers, just started playing D2 seriously again! Can I easily switch to US servers and play with you guys? I don't mind starting again as I am a lowbie anyways :)

You should be able to just make a new Battlenet account on US East, no hassle at all.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
TheExodu5 said:

After that, further respecs require farming drops off Andy/Meph/Diablo/Baal in Hell. You need one drop off each boss, and I believe the drops are a 1/13 chance.

Which is goddamn stupid. If you're going to allow respecing, don't half-ass it like this. :|

iamblades

TheSeks said:
Which is goddamn stupid. If you're going to allow respecing, don't half-ass it like this. :|

I don't think that limitation is that harsh really, I've already gotten 2 of the respec parts and I'm just starting act V in hell. a 1/13 drop rate isn't bad at all considering the entire endgame revolves around farming those bosses.

You can't use gold, cause that has no value at all in the game. I actually prefer that they put respec specific items into the game rather than make you use something that actually has value in the game like runes to respec.

Not like the skill trees are that complex, and stat allocation is even simpler, just pump VIT, no matter the char. ;)

Thanks @Spirit of Jazz. I thought that I just wanted someone to clarify that. So I will use the same CD Keys to register my D2 games on US Battle.net website and I will be good to join you. See you in mIRC channel soon. :)

BTW, I hope that the lag input will be OK.

iamblades

anyone need any uniques or set items that drop off NM baal or hell andy fairly often? I'm going to be MFing those guys a lot for herald of zakarum and harlequin crest, getting a lot of fairly nice stuff and vendoring most of it.. :p

Lothars

TheSeks said:

It's not stupid, better than it requiring gold or some other way. I think the way it is implemented works just fine.

Maccas

cwmartin said:
Haven't been able to play in 2 days and it hurts sooo bad, even though i'm only level 14, haha. My bud Maccas is way out in front now! :(

I'll run you through. I'm having a crisis of motivation at Anya and could use some company to get me through :).

garath

TheExodu5 said:

If you don't respec for that difficulty is it gone forever?

GiJoccin

iamblades said:
anyone need any uniques or set items that drop off NM baal or hell andy fairly often? I'm going to be MFing those guys a lot for herald of zakarum and harlequin crest, getting a lot of fairly nice stuff and vendoring most of it.. :p

if you come across any meteorb stuff, i'd take it :D don't have a magefist, and still need upgrades on pretty much every piece of gear.

i have a bk wedding ring and that arreats, as well as some random other gears. not sure if you'd have any use for a guardian angel armor

Fugu

TheExodu5 said:

The drop rate is variable and generally much higher than that. It depends on the number of players in the game and the act boss. I've gotten three of them at once off of Baal; if you look for these, you will find them pretty quickly.

iamblades

Jesus christ the ancients are a pain in the ass on hell difficulty.. they nuke my merc almost instantly and drain my mana in like 2 hits.

iamblades

ANyone planning on making a melee necro lol? I found a grim's burning dead grim scythe.

Found a wizardspike as well, but im saving that for my ES sorc. :D

TheExodu5 said:

Right, so use em sparingly.

MRORANGE

got a new retail CD of the game, but it didn't work on win7, even tried compatibility mode and still no luck, time to dig out the xp box.

MRORANGE said:
got a new retail CD of the game, but it didn't work on win7, even tried compatibility mode and still no luck, time to dig out the xp box.

hmm, weird. I have no trouble at all here on win7. Don't know if it'll make any difference, but have you tried making a battle.net account, redeeming your key and and downloading the version you unlock?

iamblades

TheExodu5 said:
Two of us doing Act 5 Hell if anyone wants in.

gafhella5//gaf

That was fun as hell(aside from the half million gold or so i spent ressing my merc, lol), baal went down like a lightweight after all the trouble with the bloodlords and ghosts in the crystaline passage, then the burning souls and succubi..

Now just to farm it a whole bunch more :)

TheExodu5

Banned
Yep. Good times.

Tried cows...got owned. Got a monarch in The Pit and just got Larzuk to socket it...too impatient to wait to find a 4os. Got a 34% spirit out of it...not so bad. I now want to reroll my eth long sword spirit because I hate this ugly crystal sword.

Fugu

MRORANGE said:
If you're still having problems with this...

There are two things you can do to solve this.
1. Download the 1.13 patch. Older versions have more finnicky 7 compatibility, the newer ones don't.

2. Force the game to run in directdraw by adding -win to the target line of your shortcut. Diablo 2 actually does work on windows 7 unpatched, but not in fullscreen unless you use a glide wrapper.

TheExodu5

Banned
Spirit of Jazz said:
Attempting to hunt down unique javelins from Diablo is slowly starting to crush my soul.

Heh. I've been trying to get caster gear for my wind druid. Haven't found a thing.

Found Titans for my Javazon though. :p

Gritesh

Gunna start up anew, would like to play with some gaf'ers.

Do you guys do voice chat at all using skype or anything when playing?

TheExodu5 said:
Heh. I've been trying to get caster gear for my wind druid. Haven't found a thing.

Found Titans for my Javazon though. :p

You bastard :p Not having replenish on my Javelin kills the speed that I can make runs in. What dropped it for you?

PatzCU

This thread has inspired me to install a Diablo 2 and do a fresh play through with a couple of my buddies. I haven't played Diablo 2 since it was released though. We're going to be doing a playthrough with a Paladin, Barbarian, Sorc and Necro.

Can anyone recommend me what Barbarian build would be best for a vanilla, casual playthrough? We may end up doing another playthrough on a higher difficulty, but for now it's just for fun. I am seeing that Frenzy and Whirlwind are the most popular Barb builds. Which would be best for playing with a group of friends (ie, not super hardcore max/min play)?

Thank you for any suggestions!

Fugu

Spirit of Jazz said:
Attempting to hunt down unique javelins from Diablo is slowly starting to crush my soul.
Titan's Revenge are famously common until you are actually tasked with looking for them.

They are ilvl 50, which means you want to fight things as close to that level as possible to ensure the highest drop rate (because if you go higher, you'll increase the amount of items on the drop table). If you have teleport, this would make NM Mephisto a good choice, as you could do him quickly and his level is 59. Because you probably don't have teleport, however, you may want to turn to Chaos Sanctuary, which is filled with monsters from level 58 to 60 (Diablo himself is 62), and is also very easy to walk to.

PatzCU said:
This thread has inspired me to install a Diablo 2 and do a fresh play through with a couple of my buddies. I haven't played Diablo 2 since it was released though. We're going to be doing a playthrough with a Paladin, Barbarian, Sorc and Necro.

Can anyone recommend me what Barbarian build would be best for a vanilla, casual playthrough? We may end up doing another playthrough on a higher difficulty, but for now it's just for fun. I am seeing that Frenzy and Whirlwind are the most popular Barb builds. Which would be best for playing with a group of friends (ie, not super hardcore max/min play)?

Both are equally hit by the brick wall that is gear somewhere around the tail end of nightmare; in that sense, you could use both of them to similar effectiveness. On normal, both are fine although you won't get to use your primary skill until like, the end of the game seeing as they both unlock late in the tree.

PatzCU

Fugu said:
Both are equally hit by the brick wall that is gear somewhere around the tail end of nightmare; in that sense, you could use both of them to similar effectiveness. On normal, both are fine although you won't get to use your primary skill until like, the end of the game seeing as they both unlock late in the tree.

Cool thanks for the advice. I figured it wouldn't really matter on the first run through. Are any other classes equally slammed by the gear requirements? Maybe I should run with an Amazon or Sorc instead in the off chance that we play more than one run.

TheExodu5

Banned
Spirit of Jazz said:
You bastard :p Not having replenish on my Javelin kills the speed that I can make runs in. What dropped it for you?

Random enemy (probably a unique) in Chaos Sanctuary Nightmare.

PatzCU said:
Cool thanks for the advice. I figured it wouldn't really matter on the first run through. Are any other classes equally slammed by the gear requirements? Maybe I should run with an Amazon or Sorc instead in the off chance that we play more than one run.

Any class that is reliant on weapon damage, really.

Fugu

PatzCU said:
If I had to rank them by gear dependency, I would argue that the Sorceress is the least gear dependent by a wide margin, then Paladin, and then by another wide margin Amazon, then Assassin, and then Druid, Barbarian and Necromancer are in a three-way tie for most gear-dependent, with the exception being the summon Necromancer, which requires basically no gear at all to solo hell.

Having said that, no viable build is gear-dependant in normal, so if you're only planning on playing through normal (which I wouldn't really recommend seeing as the game gets substantially more interesting in nightmare) you can really do whatever you want.

TheExodu5 said:
Any class that is reliant on weapon damage, really.
Any build that depends on soft skill points suffers as well (poison necromancers, for example, and javazons to a lesser extent).

rataplein

i feel like playing it,,, but i've lost my disc a long time ago.

also, i think that 40 dollars is A LOT of money for the game + expansion... i mean, is an OLD game. or maybe STEAM spoiled me.

does blizzard make sales?, or something like that?...

Keric

rataplein said:

also, i think that 40 dollars is A LOT of money for the game + expansion... i mean, is an OLD game. or maybe STEAM spoiled me.

I lost my CD a long time ago. So I just purchased from this site. Transaction went smoothly, it took like an hour for the game to show up in my Battle.net account.

Loto

rataplein said:

Check Amazon, I got the battlechest for $19.99.

KKRT00

PatzCU said:

Do not play vanilla Diablo 2, really. You'll miss so much content and depth.

Top Bottom