• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays: Diablo 2

I went through that in the worst way before Diablo II came out. For like a year. Desperately trying not to get as invested in the hype this time around but I know I'm screwed once the beta starts =/

At the very least I'm dodging screenshots and videos, and have been for awhile (with a few exceptions, like that amazing runestone preview on the official site, and some of the new class announcement stuff, and of course I had to see the rainbows for myself). I knew what every single monster was going to look like going into Diablo II...I'd even read and devoured the strategy guide ahead of time, since my local store started selling them early. I'd rather not take the air out of the experience like that again.

Fugu

echoshifting said:
You're quite welcome. I've played so much Diablo II and read so much about it that I am happy for the opportunity to put that experience to use. ;p

Glad to hear you are going to keep pushing on in the mode you've chosen. If you think you might use a mod later on, even if it's just to unlock that high-end stuff in the offline mode, make sure to backup your save files before you launch the modified .exe, just to be safe. Those mods usually run fine with any kind of save but sometimes they'll obliterate your character. In fact if I were you, if you think this is something you might be interested in down the road, I'd go ahead and install the mod now so you can be sure.

The nice thing about single player is that, in addition to being able to backup your saves, you can always clone a character you feel you've earned if you lose it via a character editor. Character editors are also really, really nice for inventory management once your stash is swimming with set items and such.

Have fun! I might jump back in myself. It would be fun to clear it a time or two one more time before Diablo III arrives and renders it obsolete. I have never, ever been able to go back to Diablo 1. Diablo II deserves a heartfelt farewell. For some reason I've never played it heavily modded. Can anyone recommend a good one with deep changes that can be played solo?
In mods, loot is almost never stored in the same place as it is in vanilla. Median XL in particular will corrupt any character it touches; if you want to play a character that has played in Median XL on vanilla again, you have to empty your inventory (and stash and everything else) first or you'll be told that your character has a bad inventory.

If you have access to version 1.09 of the game, all of the best mods are made for that version. Median XL is nice I guess but I didn't personally find it that spectacular. The mod that I recommend the most is Hell on Earth, which is a great mod for 1.09 that gives way to a lot of very interesting characters. If you crank up the players, it is very challenging.

Anyone still playing on battle.net? I'm level 92 now. Softcore chumps...

Working through Act II Nightmare with 3 friends with players 8.

50 VIT which means I can't let anyone touch me. I'm even planning to respec to remove my VIT then replace my Defiance merc with Might. I figured that my Valk and my Druid and Necro friends with their summons, plus our mercs, should tank for me.

yWVdF.jpg

I really need to find a good base bow for Melody like an exceptional Amazon bow.

TheExodu5

Banned
Fugu said:
Anyone still playing on battle.net? I'm level 92 now. Softcore chumps...

Got a fully decked out light sorc. And I paid 100fg for a level 90 pally that I'll gear up as a hammerdin.

:\

As you can tell, I've gotten pretty bored with the game again.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
AlimNassor said:
How do i get good gear for my characters...nobodys sellin and i'm too weak to farm V_V

Get another character and do runs.

TheSeks

AlimNassor said:
Said character is also weak which is the problem. Also, no idea who to farm

Hence: GET/CREATE another chracter, and do BAAL runs.

KKRT00

Wolf Akela said:
http://i.imgur.com/yWVdF.jpg[IMG]

I really need to find a good base bow for Melody like an exceptional Amazon bow.[/QUOTE]
Upgrade it in horadrim cube.
[url]http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/cube.shtml[/url]
1 Ort Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Sapphire + Normal (Basic) Rare Weapon = Exceptional Rare Weapon

With such a big boost [250%] to damage it will be awesome.

[QUOTE=AlimNassor]How do i get good gear for my characters...nobodys sellin and i'm too weak to farm V_V[/QUOTE]
What char? And how good gear do You except?

BTW get new char and search for "free" games, there are plenty of them every day, i've made many myself and search for cow runs, join them and search what left :)

KKRT00 said:
Upgrade it in horadrim cube.
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/cube.shtml
1 Ort Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Sapphire + Normal (Basic) Rare Weapon = Exceptional Rare Weapon

With such a big boost [250%] to damage it will be awesome.

What char? And how good gear do You except?

BTW get new char and search for "free" games, there are plenty of them every day, i've made many myself and search for cow runs, join them and search what left :)

My meterorb sorc and my hammerdin. Nothing god-tier, but enough so my attacks aren't so weak. Meteor barely does any damage and my hammers are fairly bad too.

KKRT00

But do You need something for hell or nm? Because i still dont have almost anything for hell :p

I'll check tomorrow my mules and write a post.

Fugu

Wolf Akela said:
Holy fucking SHIT thanks man.

Bpc30.jpg
You can get bows with double that amount of ED: if you think that's a big boost, you'll shit bricks when you up one of those.

Also people with unspent stat points make me sick.

You should also know that you can double up items with the cube recipe Fal + Um + Perfect Sapphire, although that would push your current bow well past your strength (you would practically need to double it).

TheExodu5 said:
Got a fully decked out light sorc. And I paid 100fg for a level 90 pally that I'll gear up as a hammerdin.

:\

As you can tell, I've gotten pretty bored with the game again.
I didn't twink my character for explicitly that purpose; it's just too boring to grind with such an inflated start.

Also, you should have played hardcore.

AlimNassor said:
How do i get good gear for my characters...nobodys sellin and i'm too weak to farm V_V
Start on Eldritch or something like that. He is very easy and very, very quick. If you're playing on softcore, you can also do Pindleskin pretty easily and Shenk would likely be doable in a solo game. This is how most players get their start (the rest either get a very lucky drop or get free shit).

C Jones

Can someone give me some general advice on what a lower level player should do with gems and runes?

I'm level 26 at the start of Act 4. I'm playing a Summoner Druid. So far I'm not having too much of a difficulty progressing with the loot I have right now (although my gloves, boots, and belt are pretty sub par at the moment). But I have a ton of of runes and gems that I don't know what to do with. Should I start trying to find (or make) socketed items so I can use Rune Words? Should I start trying to upgrade my runes using the Cube, or is it better to just farm for the runes I would need? I've used the Horadric Cube to upgrade the gems. I guess I see so many recipes and such that I don't really know where to begin, so I'm a bit confused as to what I should be holding on to and what I should be using at this point in the game.

Don't hoard gems imho. Just save ones you think you might need. I tend to save just Topaz (for magic find), and maybe skulls (for mana/life steal).

Amd yes you're missing out if you're not using runewords. Lore is a nice runeword for headgears.

Fugu

C Jones said:
Can someone give me some general advice on what a lower level player should do with gems and runes?

I'm level 26 at the start of Act 4. I'm playing a Summoner Druid. So far I'm not having too much of a difficulty progressing with the loot I have right now (although my gloves, boots, and belt are pretty sub par at the moment). But I have a ton of of runes and gems that I don't know what to do with. Should I start trying to find (or make) socketed items so I can use Rune Words? Should I start trying to upgrade my runes using the Cube, or is it better to just farm for the runes I would need? I've used the Horadric Cube to upgrade the gems. I guess I see so many recipes and such that I don't really know where to begin, so I'm a bit confused as to what I should be holding on to and what I should be using at this point in the game.
There are two runewords you should work towards immediately: These are Lore and Insight. Insight is made in a poleaxe-class weapon (it does NOT work in a spear) with Ral + Tir + Tal + Sol. Insight, when put on a mercenary, will allow you to use up mana at a much faster pace than normally possible without the use of potions; once you play with it you'll wonder how you ever did without it. Lore is made in a helmet with Ort + Sol; its key bonuses are +1 to all skills and lightning resistance. It is one of the best helmets available for going through nightmare; there's better (namely Jalal's Mane, Peasant Crown, and possibly some rare antlers) but you can't rely on finding those.

You will likely have easy access to all of these runes except sol. Don't worry too much though, as by the time you are through with nightmare you will have found several of them.

As for gems, I would slowly stop picking up lower-quality gems; at your level, I would only pick up regular quality or better. Gems are good because you can use them to make armour effective at low levels that give a lot of health and mana when numerical advantages are at their greatest; for example, a three-socket gothic plate with three perfect rubies in it gives 108 life and is easy to make. The other advantage of this is that gems allow you to reroll magic items, which will be a huge help when you want to start finding charms pertinent to your character (prime candidates for rerolling are grand charms found in nightmare act 3).

Lucario

My friends and I JUST started replaying this o_O We've got a 4-man group going as of this Friday, currently around the end of act II and a global level ~20. Then two of us upgraded our rigs and we took a break to be nanosuit ninjas.

However, we're all back in action and excited to finish our builds. We're running on keys bought from a sketchy seller on ebay though, and we paid under a buck each for 'em, so I believe they're all muted in Battle.net chat. Still, we can chat ingame, and we've only had very minor login issues.

Scootaloo/SweetieBelle - Summoner/Bear druid. Effectively the tank/support of the party. Blinds archers with the Raven summon through Normal, and Nightmare/Hell becomes a bear with another bear to back him up. Also, so many goddamn stuns, and Heart of the Oak.

Hunter0x/DrWhoof - Summon necromancer. First wave of the assault. Skeles are insanely broken through normal and nightmare, and he could probably be soloing with all of us just sitting in town right now. Still, he'll become less useful and might respec to cursenecro as we enter hell.

madhaxxor/Trollestia- Insanely overpowered Cold sorc that will be our main source of damage in Hell. As of now, she's just a nuker; slowly kills enemies one at a time.

Tweekus/PinkamenaPie - Assassin. Non-trap. Claw specialties are his current... Forte. He's totally useless once nightmare hits, but who the fuck cares? He dual wields guitars.

not qu'tars.

guitars.

I should mention that we all replay D2 yearly, and usually come close to the level cap.

Fugu

I find Duriel manageable (try and get him to target your golem). Normal Diablo kills skeletons so fast it's funny.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
I couldn't access Battlenet so I did what Blizzard said to do on the website and applied a patch. Now my level 6 Sorceress is gone. What happened to my character?

Guys are there any sites with build guides? I played all the vanilla classes but never Druid or Assa.
Any build you could recommend for either of the two?

msv

So I messed up my necro, 3x, yeah I know. Trying to rush with my GF but really, it's not much faster than doing the whole shebang again. Does glitch rushing work?

TheSeks

So I messed up my necro, 3x, yeah I know. Trying to rush with my GF but really, it's not much faster than doing the whole shebang again. Does glitch rushing work?

You mean Hell Peak with the three bosses in Act 5? AFAIK, yeah. Blizzard hasn't patched it.

I haven'tplayed in so long, everyone like quit it was sad. ): all my characters probably got deleted. Not that it mattered, i could never find any equips for them.

msv

You mean Hell Peak with the three bosses in Act 5? AFAIK, yeah. Blizzard hasn't patched it.
The 3 people rush, with 1 high level killer, 1 who has the ancient's way quest done but not baal, and 1 or more rushee.

Anyone here who has the ancient's way on normal but not Baal by any chance (on Europe)?

Ourobolus

Banned
Oh my god why did I see this thread?

...Wait, what am I doing?

How did Diablo 2 just suddenly install itself on my computer?

I've never played a Necro before, how did a character just get created?

Where did the last hour go?

GODDAMMIT

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I don't play D2:LoD anymore without Median XL anymore. I've beaten D2 more times than I can count, but MXL has given me some nasty problems in completing - I've actually never completed the hardest challenges (they're insaaaaane).

Anyone who loves D2 absolutely must try MXL. You can okay it online, too.

TheSeks

The 3 people rush, with 1 high level killer, 1 who has the ancient's way quest done but not baal, and 1 or more rushee.

Anyone here who has the ancient's way on normal but not Baal by any chance (on Europe)?

Ah, yeah, that's what I was talking about. AFAIK the Act 5 rush hasn't been patched. But they do it on Hell or something for auto-level to 81 or whatever glitching.

maharg

idspispopd
So... hey, anyone playing this right now? The anticipation for D3 got to me so I'm playing again. Doing a werebear/summoner druid, all solo so far on ladder bnet (Diablo 1 gave me a healthy distrust of playing with strangers heh). Up to level 25 at the Chaos Sanctuary. Pretty sure Diablo will trounce me, though.

windz

In Sept/Oct last year I beat Diablo 1 up to hell/hell as a mage. I couldn't kill the advocates that are immune to all magic on lvl 16 where Diablo is :( and nobody to play with...so I stopped there at level 34 if I remember right. Played a bunch of Diablo 2 after and got pretty nicely geared up was high 80's.

Seeing this thread makes me want to do it all over again.

Ourobolus

Banned
So... hey, anyone playing this right now? The anticipation for D3 got to me so I'm playing again. Doing a werebear/summoner druid, all solo so far on ladder bnet (Diablo 1 gave me a healthy distrust of playing with strangers heh). Up to level 25 at the Chaos Sanctuary. Pretty sure Diablo will trounce me, though.

I'm on Bnet East, but only in Act 2 with my summoner necro. Just hit Lv 18 I think.

EDIT: Just made it to the Arcane Sanctuary...and of course, I chose all 3 incorrect directions before finally going towards the correct one. Goddammit.

GOD I HATE DURIEL. First death this game. :(

Well that was a pain. Thank god he doesn't regen health if you leave the screen, 'cause he just wipes the floor with my minions.

maharg

idspispopd
Forgot about that whole thing where people like to play on East but it always chooses West for me. Made my character on West, but now I have one on East too. Probably going to do a hammerdin, but I'm only like level 6 yet.

Ourobolus

Banned
Forgot about that whole thing where people like to play on East but it always chooses West for me. Made my character on West, but now I have one on East too. Probably going to do a hammerdin, but I'm only like level 6 yet.

LLShC.gif

It's ok. I'll just leave the game running and go read a book or something. See you in like an hour, right? :)

Hm...I'm thinking corpse explosion might be what I have to do here. Sigh...I forgot that Diablo doesn't stray too far from the middle, so I need to kill everything out there.

Hey, after I beat Diablo (or I give up), want some help getting through Acts 1/2?

Screw it. Want some help? I can't do a damn thing against him.

maharg

idspispopd
Probably won't be playing much tonight, actually.

As for Diablo, honestly, I wound up beating him just by spamming my wolves at him until he died. You can TP out without penalty (he doesn't heal) to get more mana potions or whatever you need, and he's endlessly distractable with minions. So you could probably just do the same with skels or the golum. I haven't played a necro since original Diablo2, so I dunno how well that actually works anymore.

I just wish I hadn't kept reviving my hireling the first few times. He's ridiculously expensive to resurrect now.

Prinny

LLShC.gif

It's ok. I'll just leave the game running and go read a book or something. See you in like an hour, right? :)

Hm...I'm thinking corpse explosion might be what I have to do here. Sigh...I forgot that Diablo doesn't stray too far from the middle, so I need to kill everything out there.

Hey, after I beat Diablo (or I give up), want some help getting through Acts 1/2?

Screw it. Want some help? I can't do a damn thing against him.
Do you still need help to kill Diablo? I'm East non-ladder.

maharg

idspispopd
You mean that the resurrection fee doesn't increase by hireling level? Mind blown.

Sorry, it does. But he's still getting ridiculously expensive. Especially when I was dying for half my first few tries so I was out the death % and the hireling resurrect. Almost ran out of money before I hit on the nickle-dime strategy that worked.

Riggs

Banned
So funny to see this thread me and my friend literally just started playing D2 a week ago. Last time we played we were 16 when the game came out hah!

Currently rolled a paladin and assassin, got them both to 20 and did not like. Playing a barbarian now he will be mega tank and my friend cold sorc, if anyone wants to play let me know! Name on East is Kurbstomp. Only level 11 but we are going fast!

Ourobolus

Banned
Gah!!! Another necro joined my game, but the moment we got to Diablo, he dropped. HASFASDFAasdfhashfafdas

Well, I'm gonna do a meph run in the meantime...again "Diablo Kill" is the room name if anyone is interested. :(

msv

ohmagawd. does this glitch rushing ever work? waiting for 30mins already, lvl 20-30s are popping up, but theyre not saying anything and just leaving after a bit. anyone here who needs baal, and has ancients way already? if so, join "Need Baal Q", then we can get you baal, and me to nightmare :p

Top Bottom