• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF / Playstation 3 / Call of Duty 4 Realism Unit

Basically I want to check for interest among GAF for a CoD4 realism unit. I state this for the Playstation 3 due to that being my console of choice and it seems a fair amount of gamers on GAF will be getting the PS3 version of the game. If there is interest among 360 owners as well, feel free to start up a 360 based unit however you like, though I will be putting my attention towards a possible PS3 based group. I am not specifically wanting to lead this unit, however I am wanting to get it organized and see if it can get off the ground. I have experience playing in a realism unit for the original Call of Duty for the PC and it can be a lot of fun with the right group of people.

GAF_realism_unit_1.jpg

First off, what is a realism unit?
Basically it’s a group of gamers like a “clan” that plays the game in a realistic, tactical based nature. None of the super-fast paced run and gunning, unless of course the situation may call for it.
Usually a realism unit follows a rank structure, where the higher ranking players can give orders to lower ranks, such as what tactic to use, where to go, etc. That doesn’t mean the lower ranks are micromanaged to where it isn’t fun for them however. New recruits usually start out as a Private and work their way up.

This is the objective of the realism unit I once played for:
Welcome to the 3rd Infantry Division

The objective of the 3rd Infantry Division is to reenact the role of a standard WWII United States Army infantry unit serving in the European Theater of Operations.

Realizing that there are certain limitations with Call of Duty (CoD), we will still endeavor at every opportunity to emulate the tactics, methods, and procedures employed by a WWII US Army unit within the limitations of this amazing game.

We strive for teamwork, realism, and a taste of brotherhood felt by all combat units formed during times of war. We ask that you join us in this same vision and help to create a larger and more diverse force of realism-based players in the arena of online gaming.

Rock of the Marne! Nous Resterons La!

http://www.3rd-infantry-division.net/

GAF_realism_unit_2.jpg

Thankfully, Infinity Ward has included a realism mode in Call of Duty 4. To achieve this in the past, the PC community relied on mods.
Here is what IW has said about the realism mode, called “hardcore mode” in Call of Duty 4.
Infinity Ward said:
There's a hardcore mode for the highbrow gamer. I've had a lot of fun with it. It's a bare-bones realism mode. The weapons are very effective, there's zero HUD. We listened to gamers [who created similar mods on PC] by putting it in the game, and giving it to them off the shelf. Hardcore mode can be layered over any gametype.

As Infinity Ward said, hardcore mode can be layered on top of any gametype. From past experience, realism gameplay works well for most of these, except for perhaps Free-for-All deathmatch (team deathmatch is perfectly fine though). The different gametypes are:
Game Modes
• Free-for-All - Every man for himself.
• Team Deathmatch - Use teamwork to kill opposing players and reach score limit.
• Team Objective - Domination and Search & Destroy. Capture flags in Domination, with respawning. Destroy and defend objectives in Search & Destroy, no respawning.
• Team Tactical - Small team Deathmatch and Search & Destroy.
• Capture the Flag - Try to steal the enemies flag and return it to your base.
• Search and Destroy - Much like Counter-Strike, there are two teams: attackers and defenders. Attackers try to plant a bomb at one of two bomb sites, and defenders try to defend the bomb sites. If explosives are planted, defenders must defuse. Players only have one respawn per round. A round is over when all players on one team are killed, or when the bomb explodes or is defused.
• Headquarters - A radio spawns somewhere on the map. Your goal is to capture the radio for your team. If Team A captures the radio, they must defend it from being destroyed by Team B. Team A will only have one respawn until the radio is destroyed or the max time limit for the radio is reached. Team B will respawn at set intervals. Team A earns points for every second the radio is held. To capture/destroy a radio, you must stand in the area of the radio. The more players, the faster you destroy it. New radio spawns when time limit is reached or the radio is destroyed.
• Domination - There are flags at certain points around the map. All flags start neutral. Teams battle to hold the most flags. Game ends when the time limit is reached, or the score limit is reached.

GAF_realism_unit_3.jpg

So now I ask GAF, is there any interest in starting this up?

51zoEakrQSL._SS400_.jpg

Thanks to Darth Brooks for the banner graphics.

Playstation Name List for the GAF Realism Unit [GRU]

Acos
A-D-O
AkachanNingen
Asshandler
Beamber
blindrocket
caldermuyo
Captscience
DeejayKnight
Diseasedyak
Epix
Iron_Scimitar
JohnnyM60
Kassatsu
klee1234
JohnnyM60
lunlunqq
narcosis219
N1ghtz
Resolver1
Safe_Bet
SeanCon
Sykra
Torgo
Tulip_Sniper
xDefuser

I don’t think that this is everyone that has shown interest in the unit so if you haven’t left your PSN ID please do so or if I have missed you let me know.

tanod

when is my burrito
That actually sounds really cool. I don't know exactly when I'll be picking it up yet, but when I do, I would definitely be interested.

The main reason I'm picking up the PS3 version is the free online and the nicer community. We'll see if it's in my budget come November. I'm kind of glad UT3 got delayed now.

Vashu

I'll see when I can get the game (short on money due to the insane amount of releases in the coming time), but I'm pretty interested in this. I once was teamleader of a TFC clan, and with my strategies we usually won. Unfortunately, it got dissolved due to some whiny asswhipes who we're jealous of my somehow.

Haven't really played in a clan since then, and my skills are pretty rusty, but I think I can train them back into shape. I like the idea of the hardcore/realism mode a lot. So I'll keep my eye on this.

Jtrizzy

I'd like to try this...I'm good at taking orders:lol

Unfortunately, the Warhawk clan stuff never really took off because of the bugs, so I'd like to see how this goes...I'll be picking the game up on release day.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm definitely interested. I've never played in a realism clan before, but it sounds like something I would definitely like, as I get bored fast from the run-and-gun stuff. I'll keep an eye on this thread for sure as we get closer to launch.

Vashu

TGateKeeper said:
sounds like fun but some may take it too serious and start yelling at clan mates.

[Drill Sergeant]BE PREPARED, SOLDIER!! BE VERY PREPARED![/Drill Sergeant]

;)

FirewalkR

I would be interested but I'm still unsure of what version i'll be buying (PS3, 360 or PC but i'd need an upgrade for this one).

However, what I'd like to know is: given top players for both teams, would realism be superior to a more run-and-gun, action-oriented (but still organised hopefully) approach?

From my experience in these kinds of games (not too much, played CS a few years ago, Doom/Quake on lan even further back
i was a god at home against my univ mates, a god i tell you! lol
, and the COD4 360 beta recently), in pure deathmatch, unless you're camping - which could be described as being "realistic" - a "tactical" slow-going approach will only get you killed from some guy coming out of nowhere. But in clan deathmatch, does it actually work or are current games still not advanced enough in the combat simulation to privilege well-planned tactics, and sheer aiming+movement skill and exploiting eventual game quirks will win?

FirewalkR said:
However, what I'd like to know is: given top players for both teams, would realism be superior to a more run-and-gun, action-oriented (but still organised hopefully) approach?

From my experience in these kinds of games (not too much, played CS a few years ago, Doom/Quake on lan even further back
i was a god at home against my univ mates, a god i tell you! lol
, and the COD4 360 beta recently), in pure deathmatch, unless you're camping - which could be described as being "realistic" - a "tactical" slow-going approach will only get you killed from some guy coming out of nowhere. But in clan deathmatch, does it actually work or are current games still not advanced enough in the combat simulation to privilege well-planned tactics, and sheer aiming+movement skill and exploiting eventual game quirks will win?
I think that partially, which is a “better” way to play depends on the person playing and what they expect to get out of the game. Playing realistically depends on a lot of teamwork and to me that is MUCH more enjoyable. Run and Gun leaves open to people going “lone wolf” and the teamwork aspect is different usually relying on numbers versus the kind of strategy expected in playing realistically.
Sure, it takes a bit of role playing, but imagine how a real-life soldier depicted in Call of Duty would react to a real situation. They wouldn’t blow all cover and run into the enemy knowing they would die. There are no respawns. ;)
If coordinating good tactics and teamwork sounds like fun than this could be just for you. It is not however pure deathmatch. :)

I should also add to everyone that voice communication is a MUST so if you don't have a headset you should get one. :)

Sounds intriguing, not sure when I'll be picking this up but when I do I'll definitely check this out. A strong focus on teamwork and a command structure sound very appealing. Can't wait to get chewed out by one of you vets.

One question; will hardcore mode have respawns or one death and you're out for the round?

freethought said:
One question; will hardcore mode have respawns or one death and you're out for the round?
I imagine it will depend on the gametype whether to have respawns on or not. Some gametypes are much better with them OFF but some gametypes are basically unplayable unless you can respawn, such as Headquarters and Domination.
I recommend that for all Team Deathmatch and Search and Destroy gametypes we would play with respawns OFF.

I am glad to see support for this. As we all know, the game releases on November 5th which is a little more than three weeks away. I also imagine that most of us will want to play through the single player campaign before committing too much to multiplayer.
The first weekend after CoD4 is released is the weekend of November 9th through the 11th, perhaps we should plan for our first official meet to be then?

CoD 4 allows for 16 players online, which I imagine counts both sides, which gives us eight slots per team. Less than what I have been use to in the PC realm, but still plenty enough to have a lot of fun.
16-player multiplayer with new game modes, stat tracking, “persistence points” for accomplishments, “experience points” to unlock weapons for advanced players and extensive clan support
The extensive clan support has me excited. Usually, a realism unit chooses a real-life military unit to emulate. With this being GAF, a different animal than your usual online group, we may choose to opt out of doing that. But I would really like to get some opinions of others interested in doing this. Should we choose a real military unit as our moniker, since we are deciding to do this as a realism unit?
As I have said, I am not planning on being our groups Captain and running this, I simply want to get it organized and off the ground and let other people shine. Of course I want to play too though, I will take my place where needed when the time comes.

Perhaps when the time comes and we draw out a roster, people can decide what they think they would be best at. Those with experience may decide to become officers and sergeants where others that are best suited for following orders would be privates.
We may think about playing a few rounds without rank to see how different people play and what people feel comfortable with. Or even if we want to follow the ranking structure and go with more of a “class” structure. Such as, we have “our sniper” and “our guy that’s good at defusing the bomb” and “our stealth killer”, etc. and plan strategies with that.

Please provide feedback. Thanks.

It seems like we have at least 15-16 people definitely interested with more that are considering it. With the game allowing eight players per team we possibly have enough for two squads at this point. That's great for setting up different practice times (in regards to timezones) as well as planning practice matches against each other.

Zeke

I'm interested only thing is time management I really only have the weekends free because of school and work. I only have a ps3 so thats the version I'll be getting.

sol_bad

This thread has made me decide to get the PS3 version, I was tossing up between the PC and PS3. Does anyone know if there will be dedicated servers for CoD4 on PS3?

calder

Wollan said:
Buying the PS3 version. I will be checking out the realism mode before committing.
Same, although it does sure sound pretty interesting.

And as bonus it's a built in excuse for sucking in the regular online modes. :lol 'Sorry guys, I'm just really turned around due to all the time I've spent in realism!'

I’m glad to see some more interest in “the unit”. Speaking of, any suggestions on a name and abbreviation?

GAF Realism Unit?

[GRU] for GAF Realism Unit?

So our tag would look something like: [GRU] Sgt. Hicks, or if we chose to use GAF handles: [GRU] Lt. Safe Bet.

Wollan

You should go for [GRU]. Soviet special forces. Military equipment vests. ...etc..etc.
Though [GAF] is perfectly fine.

Zeke

blindrocket said:
[GRU] for GAF Realism Unit?

So our tag would look something like: [GRU] Sgt. Hicks, or if we chose to use GAF handles: [GRU] Lt. Safe Bet.
Very MGS3 me likes

For fun I made a unit ribbon, GAF R U for GAF Realism Unit obviously.

GRU_ribbon.jpg

EDIT:
Crap, looks like my google pages hosting went down.

steve

Banned
I would like to sign up for this as I highly doubt anyone on my forum will be playing the PS3 version.

PSN ID: Asshandler

Excellent, I am glad to see more interest.

It seems that my hosting (Google Pages) keeps hitting its bandwidth limitations so the banners and graphics (including my GAF avatar) keep disappearing. Sorry about that!

A lobby system would be extremely useful but I am not sure if it is included or not.
Does the PS3 offer a group chat? I know that it has text and video chat but I am not sure about if it supports a group.

Top Bottom