• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

I started doing pullups and pushups to compliment my running schedule, it's been quite satisfactory and it doesnt even need equipment (of course you need a bar if you wanna do it indoors, but personally I prefer to go to the park where there are many such facilities).
I started this because, unfortunately, doing only distance running isn't very flattering aesthetically speaking, but a few months of calisthenics already improved that, and I found something else I like doing which doesn't require much time or equipment.

I enjoyed You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren (you can go with the book or the phone app with instructional videos); it's a huge variety of bodyweight exercises without gym equipment. I used his idea of working up to proper pullups by using a tabletop.

But yeah, you will definitely get speed gains if you crosstrain - was a game changer for me.

Are any of you into barefoot / 'natural' running? It's a big hype over here but the science looks inconclusive to me and I'm paranoid about injuries. I've been married to my Gel-Kayanos for over a decade but seeing how much it gets promoted makes me wonder if there's something to be learned from it.

Mr.Pig

I enjoyed You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren (you can go with the book or the phone app with instructional videos); it's a huge variety of bodyweight exercises without gym equipment. I used his idea of working up to proper pullups by using a tabletop.

But yeah, you will definitely get speed gains if you crosstrain - was a game changer for me.

Are any of you into barefoot / 'natural' running? It's a big hype over here but the science looks inconclusive to me and I'm paranoid about injuries. I've been married to my Gel-Kayanos for over a decade but seeing how much it gets promoted makes me wonder if there's something to be learned from it.

If you don't suffer from running injuries, stick with what works for you. As someone with recurring knee problems, it has definately been helpful to get a running style easier on the knees. It takes a long time though with strength exercises and very short runs to get to a point where you can run the same distances without pain.

I'm a bit skeptical about barefoot running, if nothing else, at least because I think you'd need the most possibly "natural" surface in order to retain a sufficiently primordial running experience, like centre-african steppe or whatever.
I really don't see the point, while seeing many downsides, at running barefoot on asphalt, for example.

Anyway, what's most useful to gain from barefoot running I think it is the learning of a more natural foot landing, with little or none heelstriking, which is much more respectful of the anatomy of our limbs. Running shoess for decades focused on cushioning the heel, when instead we shouldn't really land on it.

I've personally switched over the years to a little shorter-strided, more midfoot-landing style of running, along with using lighter shoes with a thinner sole. It felt like a big improvement.

crispyben

I ran my first marathon on Sunday in Paris, and finished in 3h59'06", just below my target, but it wasn't really fun or satisfying... What I actually felt was relief at hitting my goal, so I think I'll just stick with shorter races, or accompany other people, or run outside the city from now on :)

Fistwell

I ran my first marathon on Sunday in Paris, and finished in 3h59'06", just below my target, but it wasn't really fun or satisfying... What I actually felt was relief at hitting my goal, so I think I'll just stick with shorter races, or accompany other people, or run outside the city from now on :)
Grats on finishing! Might have seen you on TV, did one of the France 2 bike-riding idiots try to interview you as you were running?

crispyben

Grats on finishing! Might have seen you on TV, did one of the France 2 bike-riding idiots try to interview you as you were running?
No, not at all, fortunately. I focused a lot on the blue line during the last kilometers, which wouldn't have made me a good subject... By the way, 4'40" over 8k is already a good pace (I'm not sure I could do it), you could try and run a 10k to see what happens. I find registering for a race does wonders for my motivation, but then again, I enjoy running!

Fistwell

No, not at all, fortunately. I focused a lot on the blue line during the last kilometers, which wouldn't have made me a good subject... By the way, 4'40" over 8k is already a good pace (I'm not sure I could do it), you could try and run a 10k to see what happens. I find registering for a race does wonders for my motivation, but then again, I enjoy running!
I've been toying with the idea of signing up for a 10k, thinking of trying to find one around here this fall which would leave this summer to train and try to improve.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I kinda forgot this community existed, shame on me. Building up running again after a knee injury in october. Next saturday doing an obstacle run with 12k distance, mostly in the sand. Is going to be interesting, to say the least. Been mostly running 5K and 8K distances lately. Did finally managed to do the magical (for me at least) 5K < 20 minutes time. If I can keep building up, will try to go for 10K < 45 minutes again, was barely managing that last autumn. I vary running in the park (closeby) with running on the beach (15 min ride on the bicycle but great for endurance/strength to be running in the sand).

crispyben

I kinda forgot this community existed, shame on me. Building up running again after a knee injury in october. Next saturday doing an obstacle run with 12k distance, mostly in the sand. Is going to be interesting, to say the least. Been mostly running 5K and 8K distances lately. Did finally managed to do the magical (for me at least) 5K < 20 minutes time. If I can keep building up, will try to go for 10K < 45 minutes again, was barely managing that last autumn. I vary running in the park (closeby) with running on the beach (15 min ride on the bicycle but great for endurance/strength to be running in the sand).
Wow, I'm definitely more of a long-distance, slower (and older) runner! I reckon I could go for a sub-4'00 km, but not sustain it for too long... I guess a 45'00 10k would be a good target, thanks for the idea :)

I actually use a lot of the workouts from Shaun T.'s T25 for my crosstraining. I usually heavily modify them since that dude loves his squats and I don't want to kill my legs - I tend to use the Beta Upper Focus workout and Beta Rip't Circuit workout as good off-day workouts.

3.5mi on the agenda for today and a 35min tempo run tomorrow.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Wow, I'm definitely more of a long-distance, slower (and older) runner! I reckon I could go for a sub-4'00 km, but not sustain it for too long... I guess a 45'00 10k would be a good target, thanks for the idea :)

You're welcome! Setting goals like these really help me keep up motivation. Especially with apps where you see your times slowly improving. I hope to do more long(er) distance too later this year, in between 10 and 20k. But I'm building up slowly, really want to avoid shin splint (had that frequently) or hurt my knee again (which happened once due to shoes being overdue for retirement).

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
On the topic of shoes, what is everyone kicking? When I run on the beach and in the dunes I run with Salomon X-Celerate trail shoes. I originall bought them for the obstacle runs I participate in every now and then, but they are actually really comfy and pretty perfect for running on uneven surfaces. My regular shoes I have no idea what the brand is, it came recommended by the store I bought from and they seemed to take their shit seriously, with the cameras filming me running on various shoes, trying different soles, etc. But they're definitely worn out now, so I'm in the market for new regular shoes.

Fistwell

I kinda forgot this community existed, shame on me. Building up running again after a knee injury in october. Next saturday doing an obstacle run with 12k distance, mostly in the sand. Is going to be interesting, to say the least. Been mostly running 5K and 8K distances lately. Did finally managed to do the magical (for me at least) 5K < 20 minutes time. If I can keep building up, will try to go for 10K < 45 minutes again, was barely managing that last autumn.
Dang, 15Km/h over 5Km is pretty impressive to me. Actually sounds tougher than 13.33 over 10Km.

On the topic of shoes, what is everyone kicking? When I run on the beach and in the dunes I run with Salomon X-Celerate trail shoes. I originall bought them for the obstacle runs I participate in every now and then, but they are actually really comfy and pretty perfect for running on uneven surfaces. My regular shoes I have no idea what the brand is, it came recommended by the store I bought from and they seemed to take their shit seriously, with the cameras filming me running on various shoes, trying different soles, etc. But they're definitely worn out now, so I'm in the market for new regular shoes.
I've been going towards lower-drop shoes (currently nike free 5.0). It was a bit of an adjustment, had weird muscular pains for a few weeks, but my running gait feels more natural and comfortable now.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Dang, 15Km/h over 5Km is pretty impressive to me. Actually sounds tougher than 13.33 over 10Km.

I've been going towards lower-drop shoes (currently nike free 5.0). It was a bit of an adjustment, had weird muscular pains for a few weeks, but my running gait feels more natural and comfortable now.

Thanks! Took me a while to get there. As in, a year or so :). Right now I'm eating pretty healthy, losing excess weight and beside cardio also doing some strength training and of course all that helps. Especially the weight I think, lost 3 kg (6,6 pounds) over the last few months, certainly helps. But to get under the 20 min mark, I still need to have 'perfect' circumstances: good weather, well-rested and above all that hard to define just being in the moment mojo.

Had to google lower-drop shoes, sounds interesting. One article I checked mentioned "transitioning to low-drop shoes should be gradual, and static stretching after training is key" - are they meaning/saying to vary between 'regular' running shoes and low-drop shoes? Or just building up the time/distance you run with those shoes? I'm interested in trying something new since I've had injuries in the past with regular shoes, but I'm also sorta wary of trying something with less padding. Where did you have pain in the beginning?

I have really wide feet, like no one else has as wide feet as me.

I currently use some reeboks I bought when I was overseas about 3 years ago and are starting to increase my running load after almost finishing the c25k (I'm up to week 7).

What are some good shoes for wide feet and beginner runner?

Fistwell

Had to google lower-drop shoes, sounds interesting. One article I checked mentioned "transitioning to low-drop shoes should be gradual, and static stretching after training is key" - are they meaning/saying to vary between 'regular' running shoes and low-drop shoes? Or just building up the time/distance you run with those shoes? I'm interested in trying something new since I've had injuries in the past with regular shoes, but I'm also sorta wary of trying something with less padding. Where did you have pain in the beginning?
Unsure what they mean precisely, But I'd guess to not decrease the drop too much from a pair to the next. Take all I say with a huge grain of salt as I'm by no means an expert on biomechanics (or even running shoes), but I'd think that alternating from a day to the next between very different shoes could prove problematic. I think your overall running gait (how the feet attack the ground, how the muscles exert efforts) can change pretty drastically with different sole shapes. I know it took me some time to adapt before becoming comfortable. I'd think your legs might "get confused" so to speak if you keep switching back and forth, if that makes any sense. So I'd think moving towards a pair with slightly lower drop, possibly taking it easy for the first cple of weeks of use (especially if feeling soreness), and paying attention to your form (e.g. avoiding heel strike) would overall make sense.

I honestly don't feel much of a difference due to limited padding. I don't run all that much, but a lot of it has been on hard surface (streets, pavement). I don't feel any particular soreness or stiffness. I used to get shin splints and pretty bad back soreness a while ago when running on thicker, cushier soles. But that could honestly have been due to all sorts of factors and not just the shoes (I was much heavier back then). That being said, I don't feel the lack of padding has been a problem, but we're obviously all different, ymmv etc.

When I swapped to lower drop shoes (which btw was by accident and not by design, I needed new shoes and bought what felt most comfortable on my feet in the store, not knowing or noticing the difference in drop), the third or fourth time out with them I started feeling sharp muscular pains on the hip, upper thigh region, just below the joint to the collarbone, on the outside. It showed up after about 20mins of efforts and was sharp enough I would have to slow down. It would recede after slowing down to a casual pace for a few minutes but would come back if I picked the pace back up again. It gradually went away after a few weeks.

Edit: hmmm, actually went over the last 13 months from nike lunarlon (10mm drop) to nike flex (4.5mm) to nike free (8mm?). Pains and gait adjustment occurred in the tansition from lunar to flex (10 to 4.5mm). I just recently switched over to the free, but I didnt feel much of a difference if any, had not realized I had gone back up to 8mm.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Everything, seriously.
If you're talking weight training, squats and deadlifts are probably the best bets (lower body and core). However, as said above everything is important. Squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, pullups, and bent-over rows will target the major muscle groups.
Everything? I don't think shoulder muscles matter. When I asked my doctor he said mainly the calf, but I know most leg muscles matter along with the hips.

Asics GT-2000 right now. I tend to stick to Asics for the most part. I over-pronate and have super flat feet so I usually rock stability shoes. I used to use the Asics Gel Oracle until they discontinued it, so the GT-2000 has been a solid replacement for less money than the Gel Kayano.

Everything? I don't think shoulder muscles matter. When I asked my doctor he said mainly the calf, but I know most leg muscles matter along with the hips.

It's not a joke - your arms are a counterweight for the movements of your lower body and holding them in the proper position with relaxed tension for extended periods requires upper body strength. Building upper strength leads to better form and running economy, especially when your legs get tired. It's counterintuitive at first but you'll really notice a difference. Another advantage of overall strength training is lowering body fat (if you already run a lot, the gains aren't in your legs anymore but elsewhere) leading to better body composition which is also tied to performance gains.

So 'everything' is indeed the correct response. If you focus on your lower body, it's mostly to strengthen the joints against injury and get some explosive power for sprints but the big advantages are found by focusing on the whole body.

Oppo

Am i the only one that finds the boredom of running the worst part? Any tip?

I actually found long podcasts and audiobooks better than pump-you-up music. Probably not a popular answer. But it helps me zone out a bit.

Im just getting back into it now that the weather finally isn't being such a dick, I hate that first acclimatization period but you gotta do it. I think I will try running every day this time, take it real easy for the first little while. The gap days throw me off, I need to develop the habit every morning.

Oh and I am using Mizuno shoes, they are great, very breathable and light.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Unsure what they mean precisely, But I'd guess to not decrease the drop too much from a pair to the next. Take all I say with a huge grain of salt as I'm by no means an expert on biomechanics (or even running shoes), but I'd think that alternating from a day to the next between very different shoes could prove problematic. I think your overall running gait (how the feet attack the ground, how the muscles exert efforts) can change pretty drastically with different sole shapes. I know it took me some time to adapt before becoming comfortable. I'd think your legs might "get confused" so to speak if you keep switching back and forth, if that makes any sense. So I'd think moving towards a pair with slightly lower drop, possibly taking it easy for the first cple of weeks of use (especially if feeling soreness), and paying attention to your form (e.g. avoiding heel strike) would overall make sense.

I honestly don't feel much of a difference due to limited padding. I don't run all that much, but a lot of it has been on hard surface (streets, pavement). I don't feel any particular soreness or stiffness. I used to get shin splints and pretty bad back soreness a while ago when running on thicker, cushier soles. But that could honestly have been due to all sorts of factors and not just the shoes (I was much heavier back then). That being said, I don't feel the lack of padding has been a problem, but we're obviously all different, ymmv etc.

When I swapped to lower drop shoes (which btw was by accident and not by design, I needed new shoes and bought what felt most comfortable on my feet in the store, not knowing or noticing the difference in drop), the third or fourth time out with them I started feeling sharp muscular pains on the hip, upper thigh region, just below the joint to the collarbone, on the outside. It showed up after about 20mins of efforts and was sharp enough I would have to slow down. It would recede after slowing down to a casual pace for a few minutes but would come back if I picked the pace back up again. It gradually went away after a few weeks.

Edit: hmmm, actually went over the last 13 months from nike lunarlon (10mm drop) to nike flex (4.5mm) to nike free (8mm?). Pains and gait adjustment occurred in the tansition from lunar to flex (10 to 4.5mm). I just recently switched over to the free, but I didnt feel much of a difference if any, had not realized I had gone back up to 8mm.

Cheers, thanks for writing that up! Makes more sense now. I'll ask about it at the store when I go for new ones. I have no idea what the drop is of my current shoes, but they seem to be more of the traditional style with quite a lot of padding. I also run a lot on hard surfaces (I start running from my house but it's 2K to the park so if I run 8k, at least 4 is on pavement/concrete). I also used to get shin splint quite easily but to be honest usually because of over-enthousiastic overdoing it and running to much, too long after a period of not running much. Since I haven't had complaints in a while I'm hoping other exercise (cycling to work, swimming on a weekly basis) has strengthened my shins or something. I've never had pain in the hips or thighs but sounds quite annoying to have while running! Anyway, we'll see what the store people have to say and advice on my current shoes and if they have anything with less padding. As said, sounds interesting but no as extreme as going all the way Vibram five fingers :)

Depends on what makes it boring for you. Do you feel it's a chore time-wise? Bored while doing it mentally? I like to listen to music and with Nike+ I get feedback on my time/tempo every 1K. This helps me remind to pick up the pace if I'm slower then I know I should be. If I'm on the beach or if the park is deserted, there's more 'room' to goof off and daydream a bit while running. You could consider interval running or HIIT to change things up a pace. Hell, I know people listening to podcasts while running. Or use that Zombies, Run! app for a gameification approach to running. Also, apps like Nike+/Runkeeper can help to set goals and track progress. Could help with motivation. End of the day though, could be it stays boring for you. I used to find it rather boring. But a good music selection + app made all the difference for me. I'm now actually a bit down if I can't run due to work or injury.

I love using podcasts to fill the time. I don't enjoy listening to music when I run because I find myself changing my pace too much. Podcasts are the perfect replacement - for me, I find just running along listening to a conversation the easiest way to feel like time is flying by.

I love using podcasts to fill the time. I don't enjoy listening to music when I run because I find myself changing my pace too much. Podcasts are the perfect replacement - for me, I find just running along listening to a conversation the easiest way to feel like time is flying by.

Thanks, i think ill give podcasts a try. Just got myself one of those iphone armbands because my phone kept ripping through the thin lining in my shot pockets :p

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Join a club/group, running doesn't have to be the stereotypical lonely mans sport.

Very true and great advice. It's what keeps one of my good friends running. She doesn't enjoy it solo but very much with a group, usually training with a club, preparing for event runs through the year. It's not for me but I can see why the social aspect helps for her. I do enjoy running with a good friend of mine, but then it's more about trying to keep up with him since he's a goddamn machine.

I don't know if I'm going against the tendency by saying this, probably yes, but for me running is kind of a spiritual thing, and a mind cleanser too. I couldn't listen to music nor talk, I only bring a wristwatch and I generally don't even keep an eye on it most of the time. I have thoughts when I run, obviously, but they're more like a manthra than organized thinking.

Did a 35min tempo run yesterday. I'm not sure how you guys do your tempo runs, but I usually try to run at a bit slower than my 5k pace. Yesterday I did a 10 minute gradual warmup, then 15 minutes "on" at around 7:22/mi, then 10 minutes gradual cooldown.

Felt pretty good! Weather was beautiful again - I am really enjoying spring!

Gear note - I traded in my Vivoactive for a Forerunner 220 for the interval functionality. I'm tempted to go back - I LOVE the pacing and interval workout support on the Forerunner, but I miss having a single device that tracks everything. With the forerunner, I use the watch for my runs but also use a Vivofit to track my sleep and steps. When I run, I wear both and it's sort of cumbersome.

Dobsie

Did a 35min tempo run yesterday. I'm not sure how you guys do your tempo runs, but I usually try to run at a bit slower than my 5k pace. Yesterday I did a 10 minute gradual warmup, then 15 minutes "on" at around 7:22/mi, then 10 minutes gradual cooldown.

Felt pretty good! Weather was beautiful again - I am really enjoying spring!
Tempo's should be done at your threshold pace, i.e the point before you start producing lactic acid, in theory allowing you to train harder throughout the rest of the week as you don't have that pesky lactic acid fatiguing your muscles.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
It's not a joke - your arms are a counterweight for the movements of your lower body and holding them in the proper position with relaxed tension for extended periods requires upper body strength. Building upper strength leads to better form and running economy, especially when your legs get tired. It's counterintuitive at first but you'll really notice a difference. Another advantage of overall strength training is lowering body fat (if you already run a lot, the gains aren't in your legs anymore but elsewhere) leading to better body composition which is also tied to performance gains.

So 'everything' is indeed the correct response. If you focus on your lower body, it's mostly to strengthen the joints against injury and get some explosive power for sprints but the big advantages are found by focusing on the whole body.
Alright, you've persuaded me. This might be the wrong thread but how is this for a full body workout?

Leg Press (10 x 3)
Calf Raise (10 x 3)
Chest Press (10 x 3)
Row (10 x 3)
Plank
Jumping Jacks (10 x 3)
Superman
Dumbbell woodchopper (15 each side)
Dumbbell Fly (flat, incline and decline) (10 each)
Bar Crunch (flat and decline) (10 each)
Hanging Leg Raise (8 x 2)
Cable Face Pull (10 x 3)
Cable Raise (10 x 3)
Hip Abduction (10 x 3)
Bench Press (flat and inclined) (8 each)

Lego Boss

I don't know if I'm going against the tendency by saying this, probably yes, but for me running is kind of a spiritual thing, and a mind cleanser too. I couldn't listen to music nor talk, I only bring a wristwatch and I generally don't even keep an eye on it most of the time. I have thoughts when I run, obviously, but they're more like a manthra than organized thinking.

This is true. I do the same thing. I have trained for halfs and done decent times, but it's second to the mind-cleansing of running (as well as being great for conditioning).

I think it's the approach Ronnie O'Sullivan (Snooker player) takes as well.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Set aside the cardio aspect and the benefit of helping me perform better in a sport I enjoy immensly (squash) my biggest motivation for running is clearing my head. But for me this works fine with music, usually of the ambient kind, sans vocals. Running and completely being in the moment is a wonderful thing.

Zoe

Alright, you've persuaded me. This might be the wrong thread but how is this for a full body workout?

Leg Press (10 x 3)
Calf Raise (10 x 3)
Chest Press (10 x 3)
Row (10 x 3)
Plank
Jumping Jacks (10 x 3)
Superman
Dumbbell woodchopper (15 each side)
Dumbbell Fly (flat, incline and decline) (10 each)
Bar Crunch (flat and decline) (10 each)
Leg Raise (8 x 2)
Cable Face Pull (10 x 3)
Cable Raise (10 x 3)
Hip Abduction (10 x 3)
Bench Press (flat and inclined) (8 each)

I'm not really seeing anything there that hits the back, glutes, or core. The plank helps, but that's not enough.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm not really seeing anything there that hits the back, glutes, or core. The plank helps, but that's not enough.
Leg raise hits the core since I use the Captain's Chair or whatever you want to call it. I'm switching the Jumping Jacks for the Cobra pose, which hits a lot of muscles including the back and glutes. Leg press also hits glutes and Superman hits the back.

EDIT: Oh and the bar crunch hits the core. I don't think you were looking very closely.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
W00t! I participated in a 12K obstacle run yesterday. Was a bit nervous since I had a knee injury october last year and I've been slowly recovering. But everything went fine, was nearing 10K and had zero problems. Then I managed to miss the lane/direction for the finish :O. I ended up running the 18K variant of the track instead. But so far everything seems to be fine: no pain in my knee, no shin splint, so I couldn't be happier. My shoulders are super stiff though, I went to the gym earlier this week and did a lot of back exercises and I think I was still recovering from that when I did this 18k run.

Completely unrelated, but does anyone else ever mess around a bit with taking photos during their run of things you see and incorporate them in the updates some apps let you make? Examples:

MGWUtpo.jpg
bCZsqWE.jpg

Linius

I once took a selfie in the runtastic app after finishing a run. Bad idea.

During running I don't pictures normally. I have my phone up my arm so it would take a lot of time to take it out and go make some pictures etc.

Fistwell

W00t! I participated in a 12K obstacle run yesterday. Was a bit nervous since I had a knee injury october last year and I've been slowly recovering. But everything went fine, was nearing 10K and had zero problems. Then I managed to miss the lane/direction for the finish :O. I ended up running the 18K variant of the track instead. But so far everything seems to be fine: no pain in my knee, no shin splint, so I couldn't be happier. My shoulders are super stiff though, I went to the gym earlier this week and did a lot of back exercises and I think I was still recovering from that when I did this 18k run.
lol, good job! Did you have enough in the tank to keep up your pace over the last 6Km?

Completely unrelated, but does anyone else ever mess around a bit with taking photos during their run of things you see and incorporate them in the updates some apps let you make? Examples:

MGWUtpo.jpg
Nope. Nice stealth brag on that 4min/Km 5K though: ;)

deadlast

Is it important to change your socks after running and using gym equipment? My feet sweat.

If you don't, your feet will sit in moisture for a lot longer. I always change my socks.

RunningGAF, I can run 4 - 5 miles without a problem and the farthest I have ever ran was 10 miles. I am looking at doing a Half come the end of oct. I know I have time to train and prepare. What is the best training plan for someone like me?

Cheech

I have really wide feet, like no one else has as wide feet as me.

I currently use some reeboks I bought when I was overseas about 3 years ago and are starting to increase my running load after almost finishing the c25k (I'm up to week 7).

What are some good shoes for wide feet and beginner runner?

Neutral? Asics Gel nimbus.
Stability? Asics Gel Kayano
Motion Control? Brooks Beast

There are tons of great shoes out there. If you have a local running store where you can try out a variety of shoes and run on a treadmill or around the building, that is ideal.

That said, if your feet are extra wide like mine, your choices are super limited and a local running store is probably pointless because not many carry wides. I personally tried a dozen different types of shoes from Zappos primarily, because of their next day shipping and free/easy returns. Good luck!

Gibbo

Neutral? Asics Gel nimbus.
Stability? Asics Gel Kayano
Motion Control? Brooks Beast

There are tons of great shoes out there. If you have a local running store where you can try out a variety of shoes and run on a treadmill or around the building, that is ideal.

That said, if your feet are extra wide like mine, your choices are super limited and a local running store is probably pointless because not many carry wides. I personally tried a dozen different types of shoes from Zappos primarily, because of their next day shipping and free/easy returns. Good luck!

The kayano saved my feet. Had tons of feet and leg injuries back in 2013. Went to see a podiatrist who recommended this. Ive had them for 2 plus years now

Top Bottom