• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

I took part in a 5mile run weekend before last. I was 39.57 which seems like I was running steady 8min miles, but in reality I took a break for a couple of minutes as I was getting some nasty back pain.
It was my second run this year, and actually the second run of the weekend as I went running the day before to see if I felt up for the race after a series of chest infections and colds.

Hey. GAFrunners, can you recommend a few good books about running? I've been reading Bernd Heinrich's Why we run, and although I really liked the biological approach in the beginning, it soon after the first few pages became much more of a memoire, and I'm not really liking it anymore.

Not that i have anything against a good "diary"-styled book, for I deeply enjoyed Murakami's book about running, but I'd hoped this Heinrich one had more to do with the biology of running, him being a zoologist.
I haven't finished it yet, though, maybe it gets better.

Linius

Murakami's book was the only running book I've read, great one that. Mostly read it because I like his books anyways though. My dad got a couple of running books but those are all in Dutch so that won't help you :p

JoeNut

So i am currently on the treadmill briefly every day. Trying to do 2k in 10 minutes, currently at 11:10. Once i've done that i'll start training for 5k i suppose.

Would love tot be able to do 10k but that seems a world away right now.

Fliesen

fuck. i tried on the Nike Flyknit Lunar 3 in store yesterday just to check which size i need and i found out that both - the colorway i'd like - as well as the NikeID version are sold out in EUR 43 :(

i love my Lunar 1, but they need to be replaced after 1200km :/

So i am currently on the treadmill briefly every day. Trying to do 2k in 10 minutes, currently at 11:10. Once i've done that i'll start training for 5k i suppose.

2k in 10 minutes is (duh) 5min/km (that's 1:45:00 HM pace, to put in in perspective), which is pretty fast for a beginner. I think you should start with increasing distance first. 5k/30 min seems like a decent target. that's a 6:00/km pace which you should try to hold over longer and longer distances. The ability to run shorter distances faster then will be a nice side-effect.

(if you're aiming at eventually running 10Ks, HM or even full marathons.

That is not a bad pace. Keep it up, and maybe lower your pace for a few longer distance runs - it will help build endurance (as does mixing in sprint intervals).

AngryMoth

Does anyone have tips for avoiding shin splints? Been a persistent problem for me, don't really have any grassy places to run where I live so have to stick to roads. Went for three 3 mile runs recently to get back into the swing of it, but even with a 4 day gaps in between I was having pains on the third time.

Does anyone have tips for avoiding shin splints? Been a persistent problem for me, don't really have any grassy places to run where I live so have to stick to roads. Went for three 3 mile runs recently to get back into the swing of it, but even with a 4 day gaps in between I was having pains on the third time.

Recovery from shin splints is a tedious process that usually needs full rest for a week or more to prevent any risk of reoccurring.

Usually they're due to an excessive increment of mileage for which you haven't correctly progressed, although they're much more common in downhill running, so if you're running on a plain surface it would mean you exaggerated quite a lot.
Books suggest no more that a weekly +10% in distance to minimize risk.

Another possibility is shoe wear and tear. How are your soles? Maybe the rubber's got a bit old? A3 and A4 running shoes tend to have a lifespan of about 2 years even if they've never been used, due to the inevitable hardening of rubber.

Zoe

Read OP, but are you all using that Edomondo app?

Trying to decide on an app (iOS).

I use both Endomondo and Runkeeper. Endomondo keeps better stats, but you have to pay for interval training which is free on Runkeeper.

fuck. i tried on the Nike Flyknit Lunar 3 in store yesterday just to check which size i need and i found out that both - the colorway i'd like - as well as the NikeID version are sold out in EUR 43 :(

i love my Lunar 1, but they need to be replaced after 1200km :/

I just ordered my Nike Flyknit Lunar 3's yesterday. I cannot wait to get them in. I have gone through 2 pairs of the Flyiknit Lunar 1's and one pair of the Lunar 2's. I will say I was a tad disappointed with the Lunar 2's but from what I read the Lunar 3's are more like the Lunar 2's which I hope is the case.

Hey guys, as somebody who's classically unfit in the sense I can't run very far without blowing up, but not really fat or anything, I am thinking of starting running. Just bits here and there, no marathons.

What's the best way to start? If I run I figuratively am dead after a couple of minutes haha.

Zoe

Hey guys, as somebody who's classically unfit in the sense I can't run very far without blowing up, but not really fat or anything, I am thinking of starting running. Just bits here and there, no marathons.

What's the best way to start? If I run I figuratively am dead after a couple of minutes haha.

Couch to 5K works for a lot of people.

Linius

Look up a couch to 5K programme. These seem to work pretty well for most beginners.

About apps, I'm using Runtastic Pro at the moment. I bought the pro version mainly because I wanted to use a heart monitor device which is only supported if you get pro. It was only 5 euros anyways and the ads are gone now so that's nice.

EDIT

Damn it Zoe :p

Read OP, but are you all using that Edomondo app?

Trying to decide on an app (iOS).

I use Runmeter. It has a lot of great features. It used to be a paid app, but is now free. Some things like audio cue voices got locked behind in app purchases, which I don't like. It's free, so it's worth giving it a try.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios

You can follow the program mentioned above or if that is too much of a hassle just start by going for regular walks (depending on just how unfit you are).

Distance or speed really doesn't matter in the beginning in my opinion. You don't even need to run the whole distance that you've set yourself. All you need to do in the beginning is do it regularly and keep on doing it.

Distance or speed really doesn't matter in the beginning in my opinion. You don't even need to run the whole distance that you've set yourself. All you need to do in the beginning is do it regularly and keep on doing it.

I agree.

Although it really helps to keep track of time, so a very basic chronometer can be very beneficial. Couch-potatoes should alternate between walking and jogging until they can do a solid 30' jog (this is also the point at which you should probably upgrade your shoes, as you can't get serious about running with unproper footwear). Proportions should be 4:1 walking or 5:1 walking.

When approaching running, you should also start getting conscious about your landing form, in order to avoid picking up bad habits as heel striking and overstriding, which are easily the most common beginner mistakes.

TheGrue

In the middle of training for two upcoming marathons in May (two weeks apart). In Week 11 of my training, which will be Tue-Thur of 5/10/5 and Sat-Sun of 10/20. Last time I ran a marathon was 10 years ago and I'm in my 40s now. Still sore from the 19 mile run on Sunday, but have to go crank out 5 this evening. I remember why I waited 10 years to do this. It's not the race...it's the training.

Ran a mile last night for the first time since injuring my back 3 weeks ago. It was brutal on my legs but felt good in the lungs.

It felt even better to write a run into my running journal instead of crossing off another day due to "injury". I have a 5k this weekend, but since I obviously won't be ready I'm just going to treat it like a fun run.

lunchtoast

Currently in week 5 of couch to 5k. I wanted something more cardio intensive than yoga so I started this even though I'm not into running. Pretty harmless for 30 min. Had to slow down my running pace in week 3 due to my feet getting sore but they seem fine now and slowly increasing the pace.

First half of the year. Almost 3 minute PR. Very excited going into Jersey Marathon next month.

mDJ1msy.jpg

fJIJOCc.png

JoeNut

2k in 10 minutes is (duh) 5min/km (that's 1:45:00 HM pace, to put in in perspective), which is pretty fast for a beginner. I think you should start with increasing distance first. 5k/30 min seems like a decent target. that's a 6:00/km pace which you should try to hold over longer and longer distances. The ability to run shorter distances faster then will be a nice side-effect.

(if you're aiming at eventually running 10Ks, HM or even full marathons.

thanks for the advice, and the Thesoapster too. I might have to turn one gym session into running only, since i go for an hour a day.

Assuming this will help burn fat too.

I ran an 8k on Saturday. I am really disappointed with how slow I am. I really need to step up my training if I am going to be ready for a Half Marathon by May.

I've been reading Bernd Heinrich's Why we run
[...]
I haven't finished it yet, though, maybe it gets better.

I have to rectify: it is a very nice book.

As a biology student who's preparing his first big zoology exam, and a running enthusiast, this book really hits the spot, especially after you get past the brief memoire-like parts which aren't much related to biology (at least I didn't like those).

Attending classes in the morning, reading this on the bus while traveling home, studying and then going out for a good run is proving to be very inspiring these last few days. It's like seamlessly blending two things you love, and feeling their organicity.

Only bad thing is, the book's ultimately very short. I'll probably finish it tomorrow or the day after.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
For runkeeper on android, do you always have to go to the website and manually put the activity you just did to the training workout?
In the app I select training, click the workout scheduled, it brings me to the main page with the workout listed. I click go running and then do it. But when I finish and save the activity it doesn't show as done on the schedule? Someone help please.

Bu mp
Get out there ATX'er! It is another gorgeous day . I will be hitting the 100 mile mark for the month today. After a few illnesses this winter i am finally start I go to get back to normal.

Zoe

Bu mp
Get out there ATX'er! It is another gorgeous day . I will be hitting the 109 mile mark for the moment nth today. After a few illnesses this winter i am finally start I go to get back to normal.

I need to get used to the warmer weather again. Running on Tuesday evening wasn't very fun :lol

Got the 10/20 race on Sunday though!

I need to get used to the warmer weather again. Running on Tuesday evening wasn't very fun :lol

Got the 10/20 race on Sunday though!
Awesome ! Maybe I will do a long run this weekend in solidarity. Enjoy the run, I may have to give that a go next year.
As for the warmer weather I am right there with you. I will be out there this summer when it is 104 suffering with the rest :)

Zoe

I don't know why I thought running a 10 mile race after a month of zero physical activity was a good idea :lol

Made it just in time for the awards though, and now there's a pretty good band on stage.

Linius

I'm sick of this crap weather it also does nothing for my motivation.

It raining every day here now. Though I like to run in cold weather, much easier than during the summer. The rain and the wind are just a bit much.

I'm probably going to focus on a 7km run in my hometown in june for the coming months. Trying to set a good time for myself, ideally under 4,5 minute per kilometer on average. So I can build up to running 10km in under 45 minutes eventually. Only downside is that it can be crazy warm in june, it's hard to predict. And under those circumstances it's gonna be hard.

I don't know why I thought running a 10 mile race after a month of zero physical activity was a good idea :lol

Made it just in time for the awards though, and now there's a pretty good band on stage.
I did 9.5 yesterday. I was famished afterwards and had a big sub. Heading out again now.Will do between 5 and 7 depending how it goes . Both of my knees have been aching lately.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Anyone know of any good shoes that are on sale or are in the 60-80 dollar range? I signed up for a 5k in 6 weeks and my poor college kid budget is preventing me from dropping 120 for an optimal pair. Help a brother out!

Anyone know of any good shoes that are on sale or are in the 60-80 dollar range? I signed up for a 5k in 6 weeks and my poor college kid budget is preventing me from dropping 120 for an optimal pair. Help a brother out!
Would go to Acqdemy and try on some different shoes . They always have the various brands on sale or clearance. Last time I got a pair of Asics (good ol cushy heel for long runs) and a pair od Merrells (minimalist shoe ) for about 100 bucks. I go through shoes too quickly to spend mad bucks on shoes.

I purchased one of the Garmin Vivoactives last week when they came out - decent watch, but disappointingly does not include interval functionality for the run tracking. I'll be returning it today for a FR220.

Any other GAFers use a Garmin device? We should set up a group or connection on Garmin Connect.

In training for a half marathon here in MA in June - my first half. Did an experimental long run on Friday - 11.5mi at around 9:15/mi pace (my normal pace is around 8:15.) Felt good so I am anxious to keep going.

I purchased one of the Garmin Vivoactives last week when they came out - decent watch, but disappointingly does not include interval functionality for the run tracking. I'll be returning it today for a FR220.

Any other GAFers use a Garmin device? We should set up a group or connection on Garmin Connect.

In training for a half marathon here in MA in June - my first half. Did an experimental long run on Friday - 11.5mi at around 9:15/mi pace (my normal pace is around 8:15.) Felt good so I am anxious to keep going.

I've used the FR220 since last February couldn't be happier with it.

I've used the FR220 since last February couldn't be happier with it.

Yeah, I've heard pretty much universally that it's a great watch. The only reason I went for the Vivoactive was in the hopes to replace my Vivofit and narrow down to one device, but I need the interval function for my training runs. I'd much rather wear two bands than one that's hamstrung by tech.

inm8num2

What are the important muscles to exercise for running? Calf and what else?

If you're talking weight training, squats and deadlifts are probably the best bets (lower body and core). However, as said above everything is important. Squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, pullups, and bent-over rows will target the major muscle groups.

Fistwell

I wish more people posted in here.

Started running about a year ago, originally to help lose weight. I've lost (most of) the weight, but I keep running to keep it off, but also (maybe) because I (sort of) started enjoying it a little bit, kinda. I try to get out regularly, 6 days a week when I find the courage, closer to 4 or 5 days a week nowadays. I don't run very long, typically 7 to 8Km. I try to commute back from work running, which takes about as much time as public transportation. I had been slowly but steadily progressing in pace, from over 6min/km to 5, to 4:40. Been stuck on 4:40 average for several months now (from 4:20 on a good day to up to 5 when feeling like shit).

I don't really have a plan for any of this, I've just typically laced them up and started running as hard as I knew till I'd get home. I've avoided thoughts of finding ways to improve, probably because I've always hated running and figured improving would require even more of it, not to mention interval training which I've always hated with a goddamn fiery passion. I think I'm close to accepting that maybe I don't completely hate running. I've even caught myself doing a few series of 30/30s.

In any case, would love to trade stories of daily misery, sweat, blood and tears for motivation. Maybe a few suggestions from more knowledgeable runners on how to improve as well (not looking to run longer, only a little faster).

In any case, would love to trade stories of daily misery, sweat, blood and tears for motivation. Maybe a few suggestions from more knowledgeable runners on how to improve as well (not looking to run longer, only a little faster).

If you really don't want to add distance or intervals, the only avenue of progress I see is crosstraining, particularly strength/core training. I did a lot of dumbbells circuits, pullups and burpees - and it helped my speed enourmously while maintaining the same training schedule.

It sounds like you really don't like adhering to a training schedule... if you have a smart phone, maybe you'll enjoy playing with Zombies, Run!... it's bascially gamified interval training that doesn't feel like interval training. It's a lot of fun and can be addictive although as you improve, you may find its tracking options too shallow.

Fistwell

Thanks for the tips. I was being kind of facetious on my hate of intervals, I've reconciled with the fact I'll probably have to go through that kind of things if I actually want to improve. Running longer distances I could also probably do.

My main concern is on weekdays I typically run back from work and don't necessarily have much energy to run more than I have to to get back home. I technically could do more but I don't know that I'd find the motivation to keep it up. That leaves 2 weekend days, but I'm told it's maybe not a good idea to do intervals two days in a row.

Thanks for the tip on that app, I'll see if I can use it to trick myself into doing a little bit of fake-tervals on my way home on weekdays.

Edit: on crosstraining, I do have a pair of dumbbells, but I'm pretty sure I have no clue what to do with them. I looked up a cple of workout programs online but don't really know what I'm doing. If you have any appropriate workouts feel free to point them out. I'm also looking to maybe get a rower, I'm assuming that might help as well? In any case, thanks for the insights.

I wish more people posted in here.

Agreed!

Did 6 miles yesterday. First really nice day here - it was pretty sweet to be able to go out with a singlet and shorts and not feel like I am under-dressed.

I'm finding it hard sticking to my scheduled "off" days but I am going to do some cross training today to keep me feeling good and keep myself off the legs so much.

Edit: on crosstraining, I do have a pair of dumbbells, but I'm pretty sure I have no clue what to do with them. I looked up a cple of workout programs online but don't really know what I'm doing. If you have any appropriate workouts feel free to point them out. I'm also looking to maybe get a rower, I'm assuming that might help as well? In any case, thanks for the insights.

An indoor rower is my go-to exercise if running isn't possible... I can highly recommend it although it was a pretty humbling experience when I started out. Running mileage didn't really prepare me for the full body blast of rowing but I got there eventually. The trick for me was focusing on form (like, "Now I'm going to make sure my legs are strong and smooth for 25 strokes, now I'm focusing on my lean for 25 strokes etc.)

My typical crosstraining is 10-15 minutes of easy rowing to warm up. Then it's alternating 1 minute full throttle rowing and moderate rep bodyweight exercises (squats - pushups - burpees - planks.) I didn't start like that though, I built it up slowly, adding extra exercises / repetitions over the course of several months.

Fistwell

Did 6 miles yesterday. First really nice day here - it was pretty sweet to be able to go out with a singlet and shorts and not feel like I am under-dressed.
It's getting nicer over here as well, which is both a blessing and a curse. I enjoy getting out in the sun, but we're already getting some afternoons in the 30+C range. I'm hoping it cools down a little bit before the summer. Also looking forward to cool summer rains.

I'm finding it hard sticking to my scheduled "off" days but I am going to do some cross training today to keep me feeling good and keep myself off the legs so much.
Good on you, I need to get off my ass and find constructive things to do exercise-wise on off days.

An indoor rower is my go-to exercise if running isn't possible... I can highly recommend it although it was a pretty humbling experience when I started out. Running mileage didn't really prepare me for the full body blast of rowing but I got there eventually. The trick for me was focusing on form (like, "Now I'm going to make sure my legs are strong and smooth for 25 strokes, now I'm focusing on my lean for 25 strokes etc.)
Good to know and thanks for the warning.

I started doing pullups and pushups to compliment my running schedule, it's been quite satisfactory and it doesnt even need equipment (of course you need a bar if you wanna do it indoors, but personally I prefer to go to the park where there are many such facilities).
I started this because, unfortunately, doing only distance running isn't very flattering aesthetically speaking, but a few months of calisthenics already improved that, and I found something else I like doing which doesn't require much time or equipment.

Top Bottom