• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Auctopus

Currently training for my first 10k in April, training has been steady but fruitful. However, atm I've been running between 6 & 8k every other day but around the 4-5k markers, my shins and ankles really start to hurt and really hamper my run.

Does anyone have any tips? I've been stretching thoroughly etc. and my breathing is fine.

Zoe

Currently training for my first 10k in April, training has been steady but fruitful. However, atm I've been running between 6 & 8k every other day but around the 4-5k markers, my shins and ankles really start to hurt and really hamper my run.

Does anyone have any tips? I've been stretching thoroughly etc. and my breathing is fine.

You can try mixing it up with some walking. It will give the running set of muscles a little break.

If you time the walking properly, it might not even affect your overall pace.

andthebeatgoeson

Do some low mileage days and some cross training. You don't have to put a ton of miles in every week. I was excited during my first 10k and the adrenaline pushed me harder. So don't worry about losing ground. An injury will cause you to lose progress.

Use the low mileage day for speed work or something. Crank up the speed for a quarter mile then slow down.

Also, rest. You may need some time off from running. You won't make it better by running more. So, do some biking or jumping jacks or push ups.

what type of terrain are you running? What shoes do you use?

I once bought a pair of Nike running leggings and they claimed that they help reduce shin splints. I reccommend going to any running shop near you and they should hopefully be able to analyse your running style and recommend some shoes that will be best for you and should reduce pain you experience.

Auctopus

You can try mixing it up with some walking. It will give the running set of muscles a little break.

If you time the walking properly, it might not even affect your overall pace.

Do some low mileage days and some cross training. You don't have to put a ton of miles in every week. I was excited during my first 10k and the adrenaline pushed me harder. So don't worry about losing ground. An injury will cause you to lose progress.

Use the low mileage day for speed work or something. Crank up the speed for a quarter mile then slow down.

Also, rest. You may need some time off from running. You won't make it better by running more. So, do some biking or jumping jacks or push ups.

what type of terrain are you running? What shoes do you use?

I once bought a pair of Nike running leggings and they claimed that they help reduce shin splints. I reccommend going to any running shop near you and they should hopefully be able to analyse your running style and recommend some shoes that will be best for you and should reduce pain you experience.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I already do some low mileage days, (3.2k and 4k with Intervals attached) but I think you're right that I might need rest.

I run a mix of suburban pavement (English, so sorta rough) and the nearby forest trails. I wear Nike Roshe Runs which I've been told by a friend that I should upgrade to some Asics or something with a bubble in the sole as the foam in a Roshe run starts to compact and take its toll on your stride and foot impact.

I apologize if this is OT, but how does an elliptical compare to running (either on a treadmill or not)? I've been hitting the gym daily for the past 2 weeks, spending about an hour on the elliptical. I love it because it's low impact, but should I at some point graduate to running on a treadmill?

AxeMan

So I've just bought myself the Garmin Forerunner 620.
I'm used to my Nike one and this Garmin looks way more completed.

Are there any groups that I could join to compare myself to?

kottila

SomethingClever

Neo Member
I apologize if this is OT, but how does an elliptical compare to running (either on a treadmill or not)? I've been hitting the gym daily for the past 2 weeks, spending about an hour on the elliptical. I love it because it's low impact, but should I at some point graduate to running on a treadmill?

Cardio is cardio, so the elliptical will help get you fit if you are getting your heart rate into the aerobic zone. But if you want to get better at actually running, you will likely have to do a lot of actual running.

Treadmill is fine, just set the incline to 1.5% or so to make it more equivalent to outdoor running.

andthebeatgoeson

Oh, in that case I'll gladly recommend the Meelectronics M6.

Very nice. I sometimes lift and I wonder if wireless ear buds are worth it? If I'm working on my arms, my arm band can get in the way. So, it would be nice to just have a wireless connection and put my phone on the floor or something. Not a big deal but I'm curious if anyone has any input? But for $20, I'm willing to make a jump and just deal with it.

Very nice. I sometimes lift and I wonder if wireless ear buds are worth it? If I'm working on my arms, my arm band can get in the way. So, it would be nice to just have a wireless connection and put my phone on the floor or something. Not a big deal but I'm curious if anyone has any input? But for $20, I'm willing to make a jump and just deal with it.

If you use a running belt/waist pack, you can run the wires underneath your shirt. I used to do that then switched to an arm band. I don't wear it when lifting weights though.

Waist packs are fanny packs?

Yeah, but the ones for runners are not nearly as bulky, unless they're built to carry a bottle of water.

Here are some runner belts/waist packs:

fD53I0M.jpg

UeNnihl.jpg

Here's a fanny pack (which is called a bum bag in the UK/Australia/New Zealand; "fanny" refers to the female's genitals):

e9l9IsN.jpg

And a bonus:

zc9FoLp.jpg

Zoe

There was a Clif Shot area during the half marathon today--good god those things were so thick and super sweet. I had to toss it after only a third or so.

What do you guys use? I like the Bloks better, but I don't want to be chewing on something so big on the middle of a race.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Any of you running with hydration packs on your back? Any recommendations?

I'm planning to go beyond 20k this year (once I have recovered from this injury…) and while I can do 20k without water during the colder season I will probably struggle during the summer.

Linius

After standing still for a while I'm gonna start runnig again tomorrow. It's been a few months now so I'll start with a slow 5K and see how that goes. Any of you guys came back from a few months of doing nothing yet? How long did it take to get back in form?

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
I stopped for almost two years (laziness!) a while ago. Took me a month or two to get back to 5k. Probably doesn't need to take that long though.

Does GAF have a favorite little clip-on (or strap-on) music player?

I'm looking for something lightweight and durable that plays nice with iTunes. Right now, all of our music is in the Cloud in iTunes Match. I'm looking to listen to both music and podcasts.

Features don't really matter, beyond it being reliable, lightweight, and playing nicely with my current setup.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
I'm using the iPod shuffle. Only problem with that is that the latest version apparently can't handle podcasts and music at the same time. If you have podcasts and music on their it will usually ignore the podcasts. There might be a workaround but I haven't come across one. But I haven't really looked for one either since I'm either listening to podcasts or music when I run.

Siegcram

Yeah, iPod nano is the way to go.

As for the podcast problem mentioned above, you can just download podcasts as an mp3 on the website, mirror, etc. and import the file into iTunes like you would normally.

Zoe

Finally completed the Distance Challenge this past weekend with the Austin Half Marathon. It was my worst race, but I'm pretty much recovered by now. My plan is to lay off running for a month or so.

The only thing is my calves feel really tight. Will they loosen up on their own with no running, or should I go for a massage?

I completed my second half marathon this past fall (Baltimore). I've been running since, trying to increase my pace over distances. I've gotten two new pairs of shoes since then, trying with the latter to alleviate a problem I'm having. My inner/lower soleus on my left leg (several inches above the ankle) keeps on burning etc. after a couple miles of running and my left foot just stops wanting to pivot at all. This is only on the left side, which has me worried. I had previously (a couple months back) changed the way I run to have a higher cadence, softer landing, and running more "in place" vs. taking larger steps out in front. This is apparently how you're supposed to run. Before this I never thought about "how" and just ran. I doubt this is the cause of this strain, but it keeps coming back. I'll probably be seeing my doctor about it this week. Has anyone here had something like this happen?

edit: And yes, I've done soleus-specific stretches in addition to general calf stretches. I've also foam rolled my calves. The pain/soreness seems to go away after a couple days, but comes right back if I go for a run.

Yeah, iPod nano is the way to go.

As for the podcast problem mentioned above, you can just download podcasts as an mp3 on the website, mirror, etc. and import the file into iTunes like you would normally.
I use a nano and I am about to get my third one or go with another device. Apparently your not supposed to use it when you workout. It works for about a year and then stops charging. It says accessory not supported when you plug it in. I might go Sansa clip this next time.

Just bought a new pair of New Balance 980 Fresh Foams for $50 today! I currently run in the Saucony Kinvara 3 (which I love), but I needed some shoes with more cushioning for long distance training. It's pouring outside now, so I'll break them in tomorrow.

Siegcram

I use a nano and I am about to get my third one or go with another device. Apparently your not supposed to use it when you workout. It works for about a year and then stops charging. It says accessory not supported when you plug it in. I might go Sansa clip this next time.
My bad, I meant iPod shuffle. I always get those two confused. The shuffle is pretty much indestructible.

I could see how the nano is too delicate for workouts/running.

crispyben

I finished yesterday week 3 (out of 10) of training for my first marathon, in Paris on April 12! I'm aiming to finish first and foremost, in less than 4 hours ideally. I already ran a 20K race in 1:41 in October, and did another 20K yesterday during my 1:50 endurance run :) The only thing i'm slightly worried about, besides injuring myself by overdoing it, is not having changed shoes at the right time... The ones I currently use (Adistar Boost) already have almost 700 km on them since March 2014, and they'll be over 1,000 once I'm done with the 42K. Do you think I'll be fine? I'm quite light (60kg), fwiw.

I finished yesterday week 3 (out of 10) of training for my first marathon, in Paris on April 12! I'm aiming to finish first and foremost, in less than 4 hours ideally. I already ran a 20K race in 1:41 in October, and did another 20K yesterday during my 1:50 endurance run :) The only thing i'm slightly worried about, besides injuring myself by overdoing it, is not having changed shoes at the right time... The ones I currently use (Adistar Boost) already have almost 700 km on them since March 2014, and they'll be over 1,000 once I'm done with the 42K. Do you think I'll be fine? I'm quite light (60kg), fwiw.

How are the outsoles on your shoes? If they're pretty worn, new shoes are probably a good idea. I've read that anywhere from 400-500 miles is a good time for new shoes, and 700km is approximately 434 miles. And don't worry about time for your first marathon, just focus on actually finishing. Half marathons and full marathons are different beasts. Still, if you keep up with the training you'll probably meet your goals! Good luck!

crispyben

How are the outsoles on your shoes? If they're pretty worn, new shoes are probably a good idea. I've read that anywhere from 400-500 miles is a good time for new shoes, and 700km is approximately 434 miles. And don't worry about time for your first marathon, just focus on actually finishing. Half marathons and full marathons are different beasts. Still, if you keep up with the training you'll probably meet your goals! Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. They're actually not really worn out, I mean the grooves and ridges and whatnot look pretty much the same as they did when I bought the shoes, even though there wasn't that much "grip"/depth anyway. I can afford to buy new shoes, I'm just questioning the fact of changing shoes so close to the race, as I don't want to risk injuring my already sensitive knees :) And yeah, finishing is first and foremost on my mind, I just need a target for training, which helps when motivation flags a bit.

Thanks for the reply. They're actually not really worn out, I mean the grooves and ridges and whatnot look pretty much the same as they did when I bought the shoes, even though there wasn't that much "grip"/depth anyway. I can afford to buy new shoes, I'm just questioning the fact of changing shoes so close to the race, as I don't want to risk injuring my already sensitive knees :) And yeah, finishing is first and foremost on my mind, I just need a target for training, which helps when motivation flags a bit.

You'll probably be fine using them in the marathon. Maybe buy the same pair again?

Guys, what's the most affordable shoe that's good for light jogging. I'm just beginning.

Check out some running shoe blogs and use a wizard to determine what kind of shoe would be best for you (stability, neutral, minimalist, etc). The right shoe for you depends on your weight/body type, if your feet pronate or not, what part of your foot strikes the ground when running, etc. Here's one such wizard, you can find other ones as well: http://www.runningshoesguru.com/best-running-shoes-wizard/

And it would be really useful to visit a running shoe store and ask the staff there for advice. They usually have a treadmill there so you can test out different shoes and narrow your choices down.

When you say "affordable," how much does that mean? $50, $75?

Edit- This might help; it has a list of recommended shoes for beginners: http://www.runningshoesguru.com/buying-guide/

Linius

So after not doing much for a couple of months my dad came up to me and said I could take his number for the City Pier City run in The Hague today (10km) because he's injured. So I did some running last week to get back in there. Wasn't expecting much from today time wise. In the end I ran 48:02 minutes, which is only 8 seconds below my PR as it turns out. Now I got mixed feelings :p

Did 6.17mi today since the weather got nice (though roads and walks were wet, salty, icy still). Zero leg pain! I discovered it wasn't the shoes...the answer was in my description of my running form.

In order to try and run with good form, I started taking shorter strides, landing under myself rather than out in front, and when I'd check my cadence it was up where it's supposed to be. This naturally encouraged me to strike much less with my heels and more of a mid-foot/full-foot strike. I focused on trying to keep this movement efficient and not to clobber my feet with each strike (softer landing). The thing is when you move away from heel striking, your bones are not dealing with the shock nearly as much...more so your muscles. Specifically, calf muscles! This was the cause of my weakness/soreness - I was not used to my muscles etc. handling the shock. It's a pretty well-documented issue, apparently. Anyway, it went away.

The weather has been so shit I'd been doing short runs (1-2mi) on the treadmill after lifting at the gym. I hate treadmills. Not only do I find it insanely boring, I always overheat (I am fat). The little piddly fans built into the treadmill don't do jack. I have yet to go to a gym that has a cardio area that is ventilated to my liking or cooled enough for me. If only I could get a window AC unit in front of me. For all the hate I have for treadmills, I will say this - if you can build up some miles on them, running outside seems so much easier.

I'm now switching between my two pairs of shoes - Saucony Guide 7 and Kinvara 5. The Guide is really plush to run in, though has the higher heel at 8mm offset. I really did get used to 4mm with the shoes I had before, and that's what the Kinvara is at. The Kinvara is also the lightest shoe I've ever owned, and is probably the lightest training shoe at the shops I've been to. 7.7oz for a size 9 (I'm 10.5, but whatever)! It's super flexible as well. So much so that I find it an odd shoe to walk around in because of the way the shell flexes and moves. However, when actually running in them, they feel wonderful. To me they feel like they have just enough cushion but they offer really good feedback from the road itself.

Just ran 5.5k! The 980 Fresh Foams I bought a few weeks ago feel pretty good, my feet don't feel tired at all. The only thing I don't like about them is the narrow toe box. Going from the Saucony Kinvara 3 to this feels very different, but after today's run I think I got used to them.

TheBear

Just started running and noticed this thread so I thought I'd check in.

After discovering the Zombies, Run app I've found I really enjoy running but I had some issues with my feet. Turns out I am quite flat footed and tend to over-pronate. The podiatrist sorted me out with some orthotics and recommended stability running shoes, so I picked up some Mizuno Wave Inpsire 11's. Made a huge difference, my feet are nowhere near as sore on my runs and now I'm only dealing with shin splints which I hope will get better over time. Currently doing Week 3 of Zombie 5k which has been excellent at building up my capacity to run. When I started I felt I could hardly run at all but now I'm running with (relative) ease.

Anyway, I'm having with exercise, which to me seems ridiculous but awesome.

nilbog21

Banned
hey guys i get this pain at the top of my feet after I run for a bit.. It feels like it comes from lack of circulation but my shoes are laced loosely enough that any more and my shoes would be too loose.. any ideas?

Top Bottom