• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

RunningGAF, I can run 4 - 5 miles without a problem and the farthest I have ever ran was 10 miles. I am looking at doing a Half come the end of oct. I know I have time to train and prepare. What is the best training plan for someone like me?

The half training program I am in now does two types runs - a faster, shorter and a longer, slower. Early on it's something like this...

Tue - 3mi at slightly faster than target pace
Sat - 5mi at about :30 to 1:00 slower than target pace

It's now at...

Tue - 5mi at slightly faster than target pace
Sat - 11mi at :30 to 1:00 slower than target pace

The important thing, from what I can gather, is to do a mix of runs where you challenge yourself pace-wise for a shorter distance, but then also do runs where you keep pushing your distance at a pace you won't die at. Last weekend I did the 11 mile run, and my target pace for my 3rd half marathon at the end of next month is a 10 minute mile. I forced myself to run at a high 9 or low 10 pace. By the time 5.5mi was done, I had settled in very well and I began passing a lot of people that passed me early on. I ended up finishing with a 9:41min/mi average and my pace at the end was about 9:40-9:45, and I didn't want to die, either. That's the best I've ever felt for a run around that length. Now I've realized my warm ups before have been insufficient and bullshit. If I'm consistent with the training and be sure to warm up properly on race day I should have no problem meeting/exceeding my goal at all.

rbanke

I've been interested in changing my routine up from using our treadmill to running when I first wake up but need some motivation or a bit of a push I guess. Exercise has never come naturally, I always have to force myself to do it and never enjoy it but do get some satisfaction out of having done it (if that makes any sense). I normally jog using the treadmills built in plan which fluctuates between 3.8 to 5something mph over the course of about 30 minutes and I end up running about 1.8 miles. The things I don't like are that the speed feels a bit too slow but the other program is much too fast and that its in my house where I spend so much time anyway and I find it very boring looking at the wall while running for half an hour. Is there an iOS app that tells me when to run vs jog and how long to do each and does so without having to look at the screen using the headphones or something? Idealy I'd like to listen to some music while being prompted 'now its time to run' or whatever. Figured this thread might be a good place to find out.

My training has been up and down due to finals approaching and all nighters at work. Did one of my worst 5k races yesterday and did a recovery mile today. Lots of work to do.

I've been interested in changing my routine up from using our treadmill to running when I first wake up but need some motivation or a bit of a push I guess. Exercise has never come naturally, I always have to force myself to do it and never enjoy it but do get some satisfaction out of having done it (if that makes any sense). I normally jog using the treadmills built in plan which fluctuates between 3.8 to 5something mph over the course of about 30 minutes and I end up running about 1.8 miles. The things I don't like are that the speed feels a bit too slow but the other program is much too fast and that its in my house where I spend so much time anyway and I find it very boring looking at the wall while running for half an hour. Is there an iOS app that tells me when to run vs jog and how long to do each and does so without having to look at the screen using the headphones or something? Idealy I'd like to listen to some music while being prompted 'now its time to run' or whatever. Figured this thread might be a good place to find out.

The Runtastic app can handle treadmill workouts and has interval training plans you can download that work off the clock rather than GPS distance travelled. It doesnt't measure treadmill inclines though but you can hook it up with a heartbeat sensor. A pleasant female voice counts down the intervals and gives you updates at the quarter, half and threequarters mark.

Consider breaking up your treadmill running with short intervals of crosstraining (bodyweight, dumbbells, shadow boxing, plyometrics etc.), for example 5 minutes (or one song) running, then 1 minute exercise, then another 5 minutes running etc. That's how I handle the tedium of the indoor rower.

I also recommended Zombies, Run! upthread which is basically an interactive audio story that prods you to do short sprints at random intervals, in the context of outrunning 'zombies'.

EDIT: you might also find some motivation in the 5 AM Miracle, which is a podcast about getting the most out of waking up early.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
lol, good job! Did you have enough in the tank to keep up your pace over the last 6Km?

Nope. Nice stealth brag on that 4min/Km 5K though: ;)

Hahaha, busted! Allthough I didn't notice it when posting here, it was of course a shameless bragpost on social media. Spotting Banksy-esque art, running fast, all in a day's work ;)

rbanke

The Runtastic app can handle treadmill workouts and has interval training plans you can download that work off the clock rather than GPS distance travelled. It doesnt't measure treadmill inclines though but you can hook it up with a heartbeat sensor. A pleasant female voice counts down the intervals and gives you updates at the quarter, half and threequarters mark.

Consider breaking up your treadmill running with short intervals of crosstraining (bodyweight, dumbbells, shadow boxing, plyometrics etc.), for example 5 minutes (or one song) running, then 1 minute exercise, then another 5 minutes running etc. That's how I handle the tedium of the indoor rower.

I also recommended Zombies, Run! upthread which is basically an interactive audio story that prods you to do short sprints at random intervals, in the context of outrunning 'zombies'.

EDIT: you might also find some motivation in the 5 AM Miracle, which is a podcast about getting the most out of waking up early.

Thanks for the tips & info. I like the idea of doing some other exercises to break up the monotony, I hadn't considered it.

I remember hearing about the run zombie run app from the tested podcast years ago. I'll check it out

Thanks again

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Learn from me and always give your muscle time to heal. Injured my leg in January and gave it some rest until I had almost no pain. Turns out almost no pain isn't good enough. The pain didn't go away completely and today the doctor told me the injury hasn't healed correctly. Now I'm not allowed to run or do any other activities that might put pressure on my hip and leg for a few weeks.

Just as the weather is getting good here…

Learn from me and always give your muscle time to heal. Injured my leg in January and gave it some rest until I had almost no pain. Turns out almost no pain isn't good enough. The pain didn't go away completely and today the doctor told me the injury hasn't healed correctly. Now I'm not allowed to run or do any other activities that might put pressure on my hip and leg for a few weeks.

Just as the weather is getting good here…

For those pesky harm-but-no-harm injures I usually take a full rest week and then do a stop&go method, a professional told me it should also imprpve recovery.

For example, for an ileo-tibialis band inflammation (knee exterior) in february I rested and then very mildly start to run, stopping at the slightest sign of discomforts, then walked a bit, and repeat. Did this for another week and it healed gloriously.

deadlast

The half training program I am in now does two types runs - a faster, shorter and a longer, slower. Early on it's something like this...

Tue - 3mi at slightly faster than target pace
Sat - 5mi at about :30 to 1:00 slower than target pace

It's now at...

Tue - 5mi at slightly faster than target pace
Sat - 11mi at :30 to 1:00 slower than target pace

The important thing, from what I can gather, is to do a mix of runs where you challenge yourself pace-wise for a shorter distance, but then also do runs where you keep pushing your distance at a pace you won't die at. Last weekend I did the 11 mile run, and my target pace for my 3rd half marathon at the end of next month is a 10 minute mile. I forced myself to run at a high 9 or low 10 pace. By the time 5.5mi was done, I had settled in very well and I began passing a lot of people that passed me early on. I ended up finishing with a 9:41min/mi average and my pace at the end was about 9:40-9:45, and I didn't want to die, either. That's the best I've ever felt for a run around that length. Now I've realized my warm ups before have been insufficient and bullshit. If I'm consistent with the training and be sure to warm up properly on race day I should have no problem meeting/exceeding my goal at all.

Thanks. This sounds like what I need. Do you do more than just 2 runs a week?

Thanks. This sounds like what I need. Do you do more than just 2 runs a week?

Yes. I try to run at least three times a week, mixing up the training on my own. The others tend to be shorter runs (only a couple miles) as I tend to run after the gym. I forgot to mention, also, that towards the end of the training program they taper off with the mileage. They're actually training for a half marathon that's coming up sooner than the one I'm running (beginning of next month vs the end of next month), so instead of 5 miles, the next run is 4. The idea is to ease back as you get really close to race day, but to keep up some level of running.

crispyben

I just purchased a new pair of running shoes after my Adistar Boost served for the past year and 1,000 km... I don't really like this colorway, but I went with the Adidas Supernova Glide 7.

264186594-gfp_prd_3s.jpg

Track repeats today, 7x 400m. I've been trying to improve my consistency with speed work, in terms of keeping my pacing as close to on point as I can. Today I was shooting for around 6:00/mi for the repeats, and went out a bit too fast. Ran the first at 5:40 but then I was able to reign it in and keep right around 6:00 for the remaining repeats. And believe me, 400m is about all I can keep that pacing up for - I don't think I could run a full mile sub-6:00 these days.

I've been using my watch to help me pace myself but I think paying attention to my stride and cadence has been the biggest help in trying to be consistent.

Anyone else have any suggestions for trying to maintain pace consistency?

Track repeats today, 7x 400m. I've been trying to improve my consistency with speed work, in terms of keeping my pacing as close to on point as I can. Today I was shooting for around 6:00/mi for the repeats, and went out a bit too fast. Ran the first at 5:40 but then I was able to reign it in and keep right around 6:00 for the remaining repeats. And believe me, 400m is about all I can keep that pacing up for - I don't think I could run a full mile sub-6:00 these days.

I've been using my watch to help me pace myself but I think paying attention to my stride and cadence has been the biggest help in trying to be consistent.

Anyone else have any suggestions for trying to maintain pace consistency?

You could try running with music that has a solid, steady BPM and count one-two-three foot strikes on the beat. I've used Audiofuel for this, which are hour-long jazzy/funky mixes with spot checking and time markers (in English but they have French mixes too.) They're on Spotify as well, so no need to purchase the tracks off the site if you use that.

Going to pick up some new shoes this week. Trying to decide if I want to spring for the Asics Gel Kayano or if I want to try another brand. I can always just buy another pair of GT-2000's I suppose.

Ran my fourth marathon Sunday morning in New Jersey. My BQ slipped away mile 24 when I started to get cramps and had to stop a bunch. Little disappointed but can't complain about 8 minute PR.

l5SKtmv.jpg

ueXZsZb.png

Servbot24

Banned
^damn impressive

Do you all think it's better to run in the sun and work up a good sweat, or run at night when it's cool and manage a couple extra miles?

Zoe

Won a couple of things at a store's group run this morning :)

jJxP40cl.jpg

Had an option to get the Cloud instead, but after my bout with tendinitis, I'm hesitant to go so minimal again.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I think I sprained the hamstring on my left leg. Can't use as much weight on the leg press and it can hurt a tad walking. Doesn't seem to affect my running though.

Good to go for another 900 kilometers of training... My ninth pair of Kayanos. Other shoes are faster and lighter but nothing gets me through the longer distances in comfort like these do.

16lqnpN.png

I might get an additional pair of Boosts for speedwork. They felt great in the store test.

Tieno

Anyone participating in the Wings For Life world run?
My goal is to run a half marathon before the car catches me.

Fistwell

Do you all think it's better to run in the sun and work up a good sweat, or run at night when it's cool and manage a couple extra miles?
Depends what you're after. The heat will make you spend more energy for body temperature regulation. If you're looking to burn more energy faster, go for the sun. If you're looking to run faster or longer, go at night.

Ran my fourth marathon Sunday morning in New Jersey. My BQ slipped away mile 24 when I started to get cramps and had to stop a bunch. Little disappointed but can't complain about 8 minute PR.
Grats, a marathon in just over 3hrs is mighty impressive. I can only run at 14Km/h over a cple of Ks.

Slowly but steady, I'm getting there.

Any recommend any useful stretches?

I just foam roll from my lifting.

I only stretch for recovery, it doesn't seem to add anything to my warmup and I've been okay without preparatory stretching for years now. No idea with the scientific consensus is but I'm perfectly fine just loosening my muscles with mild activity before I run... but if I skip the post work-out stretch, I'm stiff as a board the next day.

For me it's mostly active isolated stretching ('rope stretching')... it doesn't give me those painful reflexes you sometimes get with static stretches, especially after long running. Key thing is that you don't jerk on the rope / towel but just gently guide the stretch slightly at the end of the range of motion. There are some ideas here.

I don't use all of those, I go slow and easy through lower hamstring / straight leg hamstring / inner hamstring / outer hamstring / adductors / quadriceps.

Late congrats on the PR! You'll get that BQ very soon. Finally got mine at this year's Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach, though I had to age into it (ran a 3:07:26 and I'll be 35 prior to the 2016 Boston Marathon).

Danielsan

I've decided that I want to get back into shape this summer (I've gained a couple of kg ever since I stopped being single), so I'm now in the process of picking my old running habit back up again. And what better way to motivate running than to pick up some new gear!

agvkU4B.jpg

Got a pair of Asics GT-2000 3, a Nike Dri-FIT Cool Stripe shirt and Asics woven shorts.

I've already got 3 5k runs in in the past week and I managed to get the last run in under 25 minutes. Doing 5k in under 25 is nothing special, but after 2 months of not running at all, and months of maybe 2-3 runs at most I'm feeling pretty good about my running speed.
If all goes well I will try a slow (aiming for 11.5km/h) 7.5k this weekend.

I really hope I can maintain the motivation to keep running this time around. My long workdays in combination with shitty weather often throw a wrench in the works.

Linius

I started yesterday again. Did 6K in 33 minutes. First run since I did the NPC in The Hague two months ago. Next month I'll be doing the 7K in Almere trough my school team. Time to get back in shape.

beanman25

Guys...

I realize calf pain comes with the territory, but after my 8 miler a few days ago, my right calf is in awful pain. I've never noticed myself limping this badly.

It feels slightly less bad today, but still.

Could it be the shoes? I typically run in Minimus NBs.

Congrats on the massive PR! Looks like a BQ shouldn't be an issue at all if you set out at a slightly more conservative pace.

Late congrats on the PR! You'll get that BQ very soon. Finally got mine at this year's Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach, though I had to age into it (ran a 3:07:26 and I'll be 35 prior to the 2016 Boston Marathon).

Congrats! The Boston Marathon is absolutely the best. You really feel like you're part of something special when you're there. I just ran my third a few weeks ago. 2:56:30! First sub 3 hour and a 5 minute PR.

I have got back to running in the last two weeks. Korean winter and the yellow dust from China means I haven't really run since December.

Feeling good and already lost 4KG in the last two weeks. From Monday I will start the Nike 21k advanced program. 700km in 12 weeks will be interesting, I will be happy to get around 500km done.

Danielsan

Got a 7.5k run in yesterday morning. The sun was killing me and it's become clear that I'm not quite ready for 7.5k just yet (quite tired and I had a lackluster pace). Will try to get two 5k runs in this week and then I'll try my hand at another 7.5 this weekend.
https://www.strava.com/activities/301515096

This makes me sad. I can't do 5k in less than about 29 minutes. I think my best is about 28.50

I've been running for a couple of years generally 2-4 times a week. Had a few months off a couple of times.
Ahh, I'm sure you could hit 5k in 25 minutes if you really pushed for that time, but maintaining a pace that you are comfortable with is probably far more important. Especially in the long run. I wish I could maintain the discipline to keep a steady 2-4 runs a week going myself.

Congrats! The Boston Marathon is absolutely the best. You really feel like you're part of something special when you're there. I just ran my third a few weeks ago. 2:56:30! First sub 3 hour and a 5 minute PR.

Thanks! I actually want to try to aim for a sub 3 hour at Steamtown in Scranton PA in October. I like keeping my goals a bit on the aggressive side. In the mean time it's just the usual training and basically one shorter race a month.

Linius

Got a 7.5k run in yesterday morning. The sun was killing me and it's become clear that I'm not quite ready for 7.5k just yet (quite tired and I had a lackluster pace). Will try to get two 5k runs in this week and then I'll try my hand at another 7.5 this weekend.
https://www.strava.com/activities/301515096

Ahh, I'm sure you could hit 5k in 25 minutes if you really pushed for that time, but maintaining a pace that you are comfortable with is probably far more important. Especially in the long run. I wish I could maintain the discipline to keep a steady 2-4 runs a week going myself.

5:18 pace over 7,5km ain't that bad if you're just getting back into shape. I suppose you didn't really had to push for it?

Running is weird anyways. When I run alone I never run my best times. When I did the CPC in The Hague a month ago I also came back from a break. I had three short runs to prepare for it because I originally wasn't planning on participating (took over my dad's number). At the day of the event I was feeling good and without knowing it during the run I was 10 seconds away from 10K PR at just over 48 minutes. During events it's always easier to run a steep pace it seems.

9.5mi yesterday and man was it HOT. Had to slow way down in the back half of the route when my shade all but disappeared.

Drink water, GAF. Water is your friend!

Congrats on the massive PR! Looks like a BQ shouldn't be an issue at all if you set out at a slightly more conservative pace.

Yup i followed the 1:30 HM pacer until they turned at mile 12 and was going stride for stride with a stranger up until mile 20 where he died out. I'm fairly new to running started in September 2013 (ran my first marathon last February in 3:50) so we learn with experience. Thought i could give myself like a 5-10 second break at mile 24 with all the banked time i had and that's where the cramps started and kept coming back like every half mile.

This makes me sad. I can't do 5k in less than about 29 minutes. I think my best is about 28.50

I've been running for a couple of years generally 2-4 times a week. Had a few months off a couple of times.

I know what you mean. Most of the time, when I'm not really pushing myself 100% my times are around the same. Still, my PR is about 27:14 or about 8:46/mile.

I think it really depends on the type of terrain your 5k is set at as well as how conditioned you are to push yourself. The race I set my PR at was extremely flat and felt more like a speed run with 0 resistance. After restarting my interval runs, I can feel my times getting a lot better with 5ks again. Will be interesting to see if I can break my PR at a run this Saturday night since it's flat....

what is your training program? do you just go out and run or do you differentiate, set goals, concentrate? running is not only legs moving, there's your whole body on the track and it's a matter of economy to make it work well as a whole.

5k in 25' is easily attainable for a generally fit person.

Today I did my first run over 8km this year, 13km.

Sure was fucking hot and I was running in a Nike winter/rain jacket. Fucking was dying but managed to complete the first week of the Nike advanced 21k program.

Pace was 5:40/Km. Nowhere near my best, but I am happy with how my running has progressed the last two weeks.

And the best thing is I finally clocked up 1000km on Nike Running.

Think I will treat myself to a new pair of Nike runners next week.

Nike%20Flyknit%20Racer%20Blue.jpg

Currently been using the Flyknit runners, which for me are the best looking shoes I have seen. Hopefully, the updated ones are just as good.

Gibbo

Bought a second hand Tomtom Cardio Runner last week last week. Live it so far. It was nice having a GPS watch which takes less than 30 seconds to lock onto your location.

I was previously using the Garmin forerunner 210, and that piece of shit takes an average of 4—5 minutes to lockonto my location. Plus , the charging clip is super janky.

Neutral? Asics Gel nimbus.
Stability? Asics Gel Kayano
Motion Control? Brooks Beast

There are tons of great shoes out there. If you have a local running store where you can try out a variety of shoes and run on a treadmill or around the building, that is ideal.

That said, if your feet are extra wide like mine, your choices are super limited and a local running store is probably pointless because not many carry wides. I personally tried a dozen different types of shoes from Zappos primarily, because of their next day shipping and free/easy returns. Good luck!

Cool thanks for the advice.

I have no idea whether I need Neutral, Stability or Motion Control though....

I am going to save up for some Kayano's though I think.

Cool thanks for the advice.

I have no idea whether I need Neutral, Stability or Motion Control though....

I am going to save up for some Kayano's though I think.

This depends on whether you over/under-pronate or not when running. It's mostly based on how high the arch of your foot is.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/pronation

You can see if you over/under-pronate or not with a simple test at home: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/take-wet-test-learn-your-foot-type

Neutral shoes: normal pronation
Stability or motion control shoes: over pronation

For under pronation: http://www.underpronation.org/running-shoes-for-underpronation/

AxeMan

I know what you mean. Most of the time, when I'm not really pushing myself 100% my times are around the same. Still, my PR is about 27:14 or about 8:46/mile.

I think it really depends on the type of terrain your 5k is set at as well as how conditioned you are to push yourself. The race I set my PR at was extremely flat and felt more like a speed run with 0 resistance. After restarting my interval runs, I can feel my times getting a lot better with 5ks again. Will be interesting to see if I can break my PR at a run this Saturday night since it's flat....

what is your training program? do you just go out and run or do you differentiate, set goals, concentrate? running is not only legs moving, there's your whole body on the track and it's a matter of economy to make it work well as a whole.

5k in 25' is easily attainable for a generally fit person.

No training program. I'm just running to get some fitness as I have a desk based job.

At my best I could run about 8.5k but at the same pace that I finish my 5.4k. I just can't seem to get any faster.
My HR is sitting at about 170bpm average so I know that I should be getting better.

No training program. I'm just running to get some fitness as I have a desk based job.

At my best I could run about 8.5k but at the same pace that I finish my 5.4k. I just can't seem to get any faster.
My HR is sitting at about 170bpm average so I know that I should be getting better.

how many times a week? what you should really do is some repetition training to push the heart rate, you're gonna see some really interesting speed increase in your distance sessions

how many times a week? what you should really do is some repetition training to push the heart rate, you're gonna see some really interesting speed increase in your distance sessions

I second this notion. I just started interval runs about 2.5 weeks ago and I'm already seeing a mental and physical edge. I'm back to the same point where I was before I tore my calf last year and perhaps even better now.

Managed to finish my 5k in 27:14 (I know that I can do faster....), finished second in my age bracket and broke my "recorded" PR for one mile along the way. So yes, they make a hugeeeeeeeeeee difference.

Top Bottom