• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

I had to do a 19k time trial as part of this Nike program.

Start of at a nice reasonable pace for the first 5k as advised and then started to run at a faster pace. Got to the 10k point and was feeling good without having really pushed myself. then saw an Korean running group starting and it pushed me. ran my fastest ever km between 14 and 15 and ran my fastest 10k in a few years between 5-15k, around 47 minutes I think. Then decided to skip the time trial and run the full 21k as I thought I could set a new PB. So happy that i did by 1 minute 20.

Really happy with my running today. I did 19k last Saturday and did this 21 k 20 seconds a km faster.

Now the program calls for two days of rest, which I am gonna enjoy. I then have to do some fartleks on Tuesday, but on Wednesday I am really gonna push myself on the 11k. I want to try and get 47 minute time for the 10k

Then decided to skip the time trial and run the full 21k as I thought I could set a new PB. So happy that i did by 1 minute 20.

Really happy with my running today. I did 19k last Saturday and did this 21 k 20 seconds a km faster.

Now the program calls for two days of rest, which I am gonna enjoy. I then have to do some fartleks on Tuesday, but on Wednesday I am really gonna push myself on the 11k. I want to try and get 47 minute time for the 10k

Nicely done... you're going to feel like a superhero doing that fartlek after a PB and two days' rest. Enjoy!

Running in the high 80s with high humidity is horrendous. I'm going to have to start carrying water to make it through some longer runs during the summer.

I've done a couple runs now with the Newton Distance IV shoes. Standing still, it's the most comfortable running shoe I've worn - the materials used are very nice, and they're quite light (about same weight as the Kinvara...maybe a few tenths of an ounce difference). I am getting used to the feel of having the lugs there at the strike point. It's pretty odd for the first few miles of use, but that oddness fades. I still have a while to test them before I decide whether to keep or just get another pair of Kinvaras. I will say that getting used to the Sauconys did prep me for the Newtons - I already went through the stages of lower calf fatigue etc. for the most part. I'm not getting too much of a calf burn post-run.

Unfortunately they are sold in only one color, and while I generally don't care too much about the appearance of my running shoes, these things make my eyes burn if I look down while in the sun.

18777455461_baedcce05c_h.jpg

Linius

Well I ran a personal best 31:45 today at the 7km in my hometown. Out of 12221 contestants that was enough for a 55th place. Very content.

partime

images

Just picked up my first Garmin GPS watch, the vivoactive.

I didn't realize the watch was so light, and fragile. Running with it's awesome though, and the battery life is amazing (I charged it last tuesday and it's still at 70% going on sunday (after a 4&10 mile run connected to my phone via bluetooth)).

Mostly purchased it for GPS & getting something I can wear the whole day, not just during workouts. Also it being waterproof is great as well.

Jibbed

Ran 26 miles in 5 days last week, ended up getting a huge blister on my foot which has fucked me over for tomorrow.

Desperately need some new cross-country shoes because there is no way I'm taking my new Nike Frees off-road.

Ran my first half marathon today. Finished in 2:11:27. Not my A or B goal, but under my C goal of 2:15:00! It was a REALLY hilly course - unbelievably so. I've been hill training but I wasn't prepared for the sheer volume. And of course, I got caught up in the race atmosphere and went out too fast.

Next time!

Ran 26 miles in 5 days last week, ended up getting a huge blister on my foot which has fucked me over for tomorrow.

Desperately need some new cross-country shoes because there is no way I'm taking my new Nike Frees off-road.

Dumb question but you are using some sort of running socks right?

Linius

Thanks guys :D

Pic from today, last corner before the straight end up to the finish. The girl in white behind me came in second for the ladies. I ended up just behind the fastest woman running the 7km. Obviously I'm a bit lucky that there were too many fast people participating, but it feels good :p

I didn't know there was a running thread on here, the OP is kind of terrible though.

I usually make my long distance running day Sunday since I started to do a half marathon this September(First long distance running event). I was able to do 11.5 miles last Sunday with all the miles being between 8 and 9 minutes.Today I only ran 8 miles since the sun and heat were brutal. Anybody have any tips in running on hotter days?

I'm super slow. My best half of the last season was around a 12:40 pace.
I compare RunGAF to FitGAF, where it looks like everyone there squats at least 315-405 for reps on warmup...too much for my blood too, yo. =P

That said, you committing to finishing 13.1 deserves mad props. Feel proud, especially since most people wouldn't be able to run anywhere close to what you've done. =)

I didn't know there was a running thread on here, the OP is kind of terrible though.

Yep... although I like how the thread title emphasizes 'all abilities' - going out for a run and sticking to a plan for weeks, months and years is admirable in itself, no matter your splits.

Anybody have any tips in running on hotter days?

Be very aware of the surface you run on - I find that the heat beaming down from the sky isn't the problem, it's the heat from the baked ground that kills me over time. Grass is obviously preferable but if you can't manage that, be aware of which sides of the street have the most shade across the day (not just during your run) and stick close to bodies of water.

Other than that, just accept that you're slower on hot days; just think of it as an interesting obstacle during training. If you push to your regular pace, chances are your body temperature will ratchet up too fast and you'll crash and burn in the second half.

onken

I didn't know there was a thread for this! I've been running seriously for about 2.5 years. At one point I had my 5k down to around 20 mins but have slacked off this winter and feel out of shape. If I could get my time back down to that this summer would be very happy.

Linius

I compare RunGAF to FitGAF, where it looks like everyone there squats at least 315-405 for reps on warmup...too much for my blood too, yo. =P

That said, you committing to finishing 13.1 deserves mad props. Feel proud, especially since most people wouldn't be able to run anywhere close to what you've done. =)

Well there are a bunch of people here posting their updates about a couch to 5K programme. This thread is for anyone, just post whatever.

Running is very personal. The progression I'm making is for a lot of runners nothing special. But I value it for me so I like to talk about it here. I try to not compare myself to others. If I were to look at Brassdragon's splits before I'm going out for a run I'd never feel happy again :p

Nicely done... you're going to feel like a superhero doing that fartlek after a PB and two days' rest. Enjoy!

Cheers, really looking forward to trying it out. Gonna go home tonight and make a playlist to run too. Gonna try 4-1 5-1.30 6-2 6-2 5-1.30 4-1 6-2 4-1. Those are minutes. Says I am meant to run 9km so hopefully that will get me around it.

Well I ran a personal best 31:45 today at the 7km in my hometown. Out of 12221 contestants that was enough for a 55th place. Very content.

Congrats. You are inspiring me to run faster. I want the title of fastest footygaf member :)))

I'm such a simple runner. I run almost every day for a half an hour and I am pretty much fine with it. Although I used to have bursts of walking before, I have gotten to the point where I can do it all in one go. I've lost all the weight I wanted (210 to 165 over several years) and feel great. Maybe I'm lazy or whatever, but it works for me personally.

And I kinda like running in warm-ish weather. The feeling I get from pouring a bottle of cold water over my head after the run is one of the greatest physical sensations for me.

Cyan

Banned
I'm such a simple runner. I run almost every day for a half an hour and I am pretty much fine with it. Although I used to have bursts of walking before, I have gotten to the point where I can do it all in one go. I've lost all the weight I wanted (210 to 165 over several years) and feel great. Maybe I'm lazy or whatever, but it works for me personally.

And I kinda like running in warm-ish weather. The feeling I get from pouring a bottle of cold water over my head after the run is one of the greatest physical sensations for me.

Nothing wrong with finding what you enjoy and going with it. Not everyone has to be pushing the limits every day. ;)

My preference is slightly chilly weather since I get to run fast. Also I sort of perversely enjoy running in the rain.

Linius

Running in the rain is great imo. And well, rain is something we deal a lot with here in The Netherlands so I often have no choice.

I'm back to running after a few months off for torn ankle ligaments and having a baby.

Getting back into it did a 3 miles then 5.2 (hilly). Then repeated the 5.2. Then 8 then 7 then 5 then 14! Seems my legs remember how to run just my obesity holding me back.

Also did this on Sunday: thethreepeaks.com in 7:52 with some running. Completely brutalised now. Looking at a marathon turn of the year then 31 miler next May. Pray for me.

Nothing wrong with finding what you enjoy and going with it. Not everyone has to be pushing the limits every day. ;)

My preference is slightly chilly weather since I get to run fast. Also I sort of perversely enjoy running in the rain.
I also run because I do some of my best creative thinking while I'm experiencing runner's high. It's a wierd kind of feeling of synesthesia with me and whatever awesome music is on my iPod. I often jot down ideas that come up when I get home so they aren't lost in the moment. It's just another reason I'm addicted to running.

Running in the rain is something I always look forward to. As long as it's not a drenching downpour I make an effort to go running in the rain. The air has a crisp feel to it and the drops cool me down. Helps that I'm beyond the old "you'll catch cold!" lie we've all heard.

Zoe

Any suggestions on shoes I should get? Does more expensive give you more protection or is just a waste after a price point?

All of our shoes have been around $120 MSRP (cheaper with sales). A running store will at least steer you towards the popular options.

Lol, I have the same when you guys post miles :p

But kilometers make for bigger, more impressive numbers!

Any suggestions on shoes I should get? Does more expensive give you more protection or is just a waste after a price point?

Price, brand, colors, fashion season are all irrelevant when buying running shoes - feel and fit are your only considerations.

The only thing I recommend is to buy your first few pairs at a running store with someone looking at your feet and posture. You'll pay some more compared to online purchases because of the store mark-up but the advice and proper fitting is priceless.

SleazyC

I've started running again after some pretty terrible knee and back issues at the end of last year. Was training for a half-marathon and had up'd my milage to about 50 miles a week not very gradually. Pretty sure thats what led to my injuries.

Great to see a lot of runners on GAF to make me push myself.

inm8num2

RunBlogger has a cool shoe finder tool (associated with retailer Running Warehouse, so if they don't sell the shoe it's not in the table).

I prefer minimal footwear and am still happy with Vibrams, but they're not for everyone. New Balance and Merrell also make great minimal footwear. I've recommended the Saucony Kinvara to a few people, and they've only had positive feedback about that shoe. It's a nice compromise between traditionally cushioned running shoes and a more minimal approach (less cushioning, lower heel to toe drop, etc.).

Best thing to do is visit a local running shop and have your foot strikes recorded. Based on that plus your size/weight, they can recommend shoes that will suit you best.

mkenyon

Banned
Holy crap, we have a running thread?

I thought I was just cursed to talk about it lightly in the fitness thread forever. Subbed.

Linius

Seems like a lot of people have been finding this place recently. Did we come out of the shadows or what's going on? :lol

images

Just picked up my first Garmin GPS watch, the vivoactive.

I didn't realize the watch was so light, and fragile. Running with it's awesome though, and the battery life is amazing (I charged it last tuesday and it's still at 70% going on sunday (after a 4&10 mile run connected to my phone via bluetooth)).

Mostly purchased it for GPS & getting something I can wear the whole day, not just during workouts. Also it being waterproof is great as well.

Welcome to the family! I love running with mine!

Kwixotik

Started running 2 weeks ago. I'm running 1.6~ miles per day. I've been just running 15 mins per day, not really pushing myself in terms of distance or anything but just trying to establish a routine more than anything right now.

That's all I've got to report 8)

desu

I also run because I do some of my best creative thinking while I'm experiencing runner's high. It's a wierd kind of feeling of synesthesia with me and whatever awesome music is on my iPod. I often jot down ideas that come up when I get home so they aren't lost in the moment. It's just another reason I'm addicted to running.

Running in the rain is something I always look forward to. As long as it's not a drenching downpour I make an effort to go running in the rain. The air has a crisp feel to it and the drops cool me down. Helps that I'm beyond the old "you'll catch cold!" lie we've all heard.

Absolutely @ both things.

I often think problerms over (work or freetime stuff) and I've often found solutions/ideas for problems I just wasn't able to solve at work.

Most people seem to detest rain but I already like it in general and I actually love it when running. I've often done some extra sessions just because I looked out the window and saw that it was raining, perfect opportunity :D.

Kwixotik

I haven't run in the rain yet, mostly because I run while holding my phone for music and I don't want it to get water damage...

I haven't run in the rain yet, mostly because I run while holding my phone for music and I don't want it to get water damage...

I've used this armband while running in the rain numerous times (2-5km runs) and have had no problems with my iPhone. The only issue I've experienced is the velcro on the armband tears at the sleeves of my shirt if I'm not careful putting it on.

Running in the rain is a ton of fun!

There's a running store by my work people seem to like so I guess I'll wait until the weekend to try that.

Really close to buying the fenix 3 watch although it's probably more than I need. Such a nice watch though.

mkenyon

Banned
I live in Western Washington and run outside 4 days a week minimum. Can confirm, running in the rain is nice, as long as you have the gear.

Running in the rain when it's in the mid 30s sucks a bit more. My dog loves it though.

Top Bottom