• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

mdsfx

I didn't know this thread even existed! Now I can stop annoying the lifting crowd in the fitness thread with my pesky running comments :)

Back story:

Until recently I've had terrible anxiety when running due to some awful experiences in grade school where I was forced to run 1-2 miles without being properly conditioned. The fear came from thinking I couldn't finish.

In January of this year I started running in order to specifically rid myself of that anxiety. I trained 3-4 times per week with some guidance from a regular marathon runner that I work with.

Ran my first 8K (Chicago Shamrock Shuffle) at a 7:50 pace, then a 10K (Morton Arboretum) at a 7:49 pace, then a 10-mile (Soldier Field 10) through an IT band injury at a 9:30 pace, and am planning to sign up for my first half.

The anxiety is gone and I absolutely love running now. I'm still very much a novice, but the progression is fun in and of itself.

Instagram: silver_sprint

Great to be here!

Was meant to do a fartlek session yesterday, but changed it today instead and just did an 11k yesterday. The 11k was rough as I went out to fast, but managed my fastest 10k of the year. felt very sore at the end, was a lot of side shuffling as I switch to an evening run and there were too many people out on the streets, also ran on a cobbled section that seemed to have left my upper half sore today. Also think that my shoes had done too much especially after my 21k PB at the weekend, so decided to buy some new shoes today.

I went with the NIke Air Zoom Elite 7s. They were lighter than the Pegasus 32s, but the ones I really felt were the best didn't have my size. I also had the run analysis at the Nike Store. 6 degree over pronation and a very low foot arch. They also showed me that I am a heel striker, which I had thought I might be, but I am not sure if that is just down to running at such a low speed on the treadmill, or maybe it is right :(((

Ran with the new shoes for the fartlek session and they felt good. Heavier than my Nike Flyknit racers, and left my foot a bit sore afterwards, but I hope as the shoes adapt to my feet that will stop.

The fartlek felt good. ran a new route and was breezing past people on the fast sections.

It is my birthday tomorrow so might take the day off so that I can get back into a morning schedule for Friday and Saturday. Was told to run with the Nike Seoul Run CLub on Saturday for their anniversary so will be cool running with people and hopefully make a few friends.

I didn't know this thread even existed! Now I can stop annoying the lifting crowd in the fitness thread with my pesky running comments :)

Back story:

Until recently I've had terrible anxiety when running due to some awful experiences in grade school where I was forced to run 1-2 miles without being properly conditioned. The fear came from thinking I couldn't finish.

In January of this year I started running in order to specifically rid myself of that anxiety. I trained 3-4 times per week with some guidance from a regular marathon runner that I work with.

Ran my first 8K (Chicago Shamrock Shuffle) at a 7:50 pace, then a 10K (Motion Arboretum) at a 7:49 pace, then a 10-mile (Soldier Field 10) through an IT band injury at a 9:30 pace, and am planning to sign up for my first half.

The anxiety is gone and I absolutely love running now. I'm still very much a novice, but the progression is fun in and of itself.

Great to be here!

Glad you are enjoying yourself now. Progression is great to see. I love looking at all my past runs and seeing how far I have come. Couldn't have imagined it when I started.

mkenyon

Banned

Back story:

Ran my first 8K (Chicago Shamrock Shuffle) at a 7:50 pace, then a 10K (Morton Arboretum) at a 7:49 pace, then a 10-mile (Soldier Field 10) through an IT band injury at a 9:30 pace, and am planning to sign up for my first half.

Great to be here!
I won't tell anyone in the Fitness thread if you don't. We can hang out here in secret.

Also, nice job!

mkenyon

Banned
You ever have that problem where you're running, and you see your biceps and shoulders shrink from cardio stealing your gains?

Me neither. :p

Cyan

Banned

Hot tip: never run through injury. :p I'm sure you already know that, but I know just how tempting it can be. "Oh, it'll be fine, it's not that bad, just a little sprain." It always makes it worse. (Currently trying to recover from achilles tendinitis. :/)

You ever have that problem where you're running, and you see your biceps and shoulders shrink from cardio stealing your gains?

Me neither. :p

What is a "bicep"?

mdsfx

Hot tip: never run through injury. :p I'm sure you already know that, but I know just how tempting it can be. "Oh, it'll be fine, it's not that bad, just a little sprain." It always makes it worse. (Currently trying to recover from achilles tendinitis. :/)
I know. I shouldn't have raced and I shouldn't have made it to the finish. It was an awesome race on lakeshore drive that finished at the 50 yard line in Soldier field. I just wanted it SO bad that I had to at least try. I strapped on some IT band support and went for it. Got hit with searing pain a half mile in and started to panic. I immediately slowed way down to a 10 minute pace and it faded. I was practically cripple am hour after the race. Bad idea, bit in glad I finished.

I made the mistake of promising my daughter that I would get her a finishers medal so I pushed through it.

mkenyon

Banned
What is a "bicep"?
really_huge_biceps_by_n_o_n_a_m_e-d506u4d.jpg

max_505

Should I run when I have a cold? I think I'm beginning to have a cough as well. I'm not confined to my bed, though, as I can still do pretty much everything I do inside the house.

Should I run when I have a cold? I think I'm beginning to have a cough as well. I'm not confined to my bed, though, as I can still do pretty much everything I do inside the house.

Not a doctor but from my experience: the cough might be a reason to take it easy for a bit. Generally, you'll be fine if the symptoms are confined to your head (runny nose, stuffiness) and even feel better running. But once it hits your throat and chest (which the cough suggests) you're at risk of worsening any infections.

Fistwell

Dunno, I'll typically go run even if I have a cold. I'll always feel great while running (crap from my nose and throat all drained out, head cleared up), but half the time I'll feel like complete crap the night after and the next day. Might be wiser to let your body rest up.

max_505

Not a doctor but from my experience: the cough might be a reason to take it easy for a bit. Generally, you'll be fine if the symptoms are confined to your head (runny nose, stuffiness) and even feel better running. But once it hits your throat and chest (which the cough suggests) you're at risk of worsening any infections.

Dunno, I'll typically go run even if I have a cold. I'll always feel great while running (crap from my nose and throat all drained out, head cleared up), but half the time I'll feel like complete crap the night after and the next day. Might be wiser to let your body rest up.

Thanks for the advice. I'll rest up, then.

otakuderek

This humidity is going to be the death of me. Ran yesterday in 88 degree weather. Heat index was 103. I think I may have to go back to late night/early morning runs or the treadmill.

Zoe

This humidity is going to be the death of me. Ran yesterday in 88 degree weather. Heat index was 103. I think I may have to go back to late night/early morning runs or the treadmill.

The group training/runs we've been going on start at 6:00pm. The past few weeks it was in the humid 90's, and it's just gonna get worse x_x

Yesterday was actually mild because it had been cloudy/rainy all day, but the sweat was just pouring off of us from the humidity.

inm8num2

There's something I (used to) love about running during peak heat/humidity. As long as you stay hydrated and listen to your body, it can be challenging and beneficial to sort of calibrate your body to less favorable conditions.

Fistwell

Gowans allowed me another crack at the OP (cheers!) Please look it over and sanity check the information.
lol good job! Nice to finally get an actual OP and who better to do it than our local speed demon. I'll give it a careful read once I'm actually awake. In any case, thanks for taking the time to do it!

Gowans allowed me another crack at the OP (cheers!) Please look it over and sanity check the information.

Most excellent! I'll echo Festwill and thank you for the time it took you to do it.

- Running in bad weather is surprisingly comfortable and even enjoyable. You'll learn to appreciate rain more than heat. Never let the weather deter you from going out the door. People will think you're nuts... just grin like a loon. We understand.

83b981009153423b365183f398b60039.jpg

Yesss, running in heavy rain is awesome :D

mdsfx

New pr today! Went for a short 4-mile run since my legs were still tight from lifting, but managed a 6:42 pace on mile 4 (on a limestone trail no less). I know that's nothing for most people, but that's my first sub 7-minute mile! :)

Also, running at an 8:30 pace has become much more comfortable. It's almost what a 10-minute pace used to feel like. Such a great feeling.

Fistwell

Awesome OP BD! Lots of good info, some of which I wish I had had easy access to when I started running. Small suggestion, maybe a link to a google doc with people's "friending" info for whatever tracking software they use? Like, I'm using nike+ and I only got a few friends on there to compare myself to, wouldn't mind a few other people for motivation.

Edit: Improving ever so slowly...
Had been stuck at 4:20m/K for some time on my usual 7.6K circuit, but I'm starting to get a tiny bit faster. Finally broke 14Km/h average, which is a nice milestone (metric system: kilometerstone?) for me. I've added 20+K runs once a week and a couple of short interval sessions on weekdays. Dunno if that's what's paid off or if I just had a really good night sleep, but I'll keep up the training and see what happens. In any case, it's good to see the needle move a bit after having been stuck on the slow side of 14Km/h for a while.

Edit2: the red blip in the middle is me running up a flight of stairs.

Dereck

I do a bunch of endurance running.

I recently ran 4 miles for the first time ever, last month.

I thought about going up to 5-6 miles, let me ask you guys, is there any point in doing so?

I thought about going up to 5-6 miles, let me ask you guys, is there any point in doing so?

Congratulations on the new distance! Your question is difficult to answer because we don't know your overall goal.

You have to decide on something that inspires and challenges you... for instance, being able to run 4 miles puts you in a good position to train for a fast 2 mile run which is what many armed forces and police departments use to measure fitness. So you could use that 4 mile distance as a base to train for an 8:00/mile pace... or even 07:00 or 06:00 without increasing your distance per run.

If overall fitness is your goal, my advice would be to think in terms of duration, not distance. You'll want to steadily increase the intensity of your runs... and intensity is gained by either upping the pace or the duration (but not both at the same time.)

TLDR; the choice before you is run faster or run longer and you adjust your training accordingly.

Just ran the first double adventure 8k race (a 5k followed by a 3k) in the U.S., and all I have to say now is I officially hate stairs. Fun run, but this POS ruined my pace lol.

Basically had to run up something similar four times for four times the pain in SF :p. Anyone else try any of the double runs?

Over 1200km run with my Vomero 9, and despite not showing any kind of significant sole tear I think it's time to start considering a replacement. The obvious choice would be either the Vomero 10 (since I don't expect they're going to be that much different from the 9) or Pegasus 32 (I used a Pegasus before my current shoes).

However I'd like to try something with less drop, 6-8mm, nothing too radical. I've read good things about the Saucony Kinvara 5 and I've also been looking at the Nike Free 5.0 (either the spring '15 or summer '15 model, I don't know if there's a significat difference). The thing about the 5.0 is that they are billed as natural running shoes, and while trying them a couple of minutes on a treadmill didn't seem all that different, I worry that overall it would be too much change too fast.

Thoughts?

Fistwell

Over 1200km run with my Vomero 9, and despite not showing any kind of significant sole tear I think it's time to start considering a replacement. The obvious choice would be either the Vomero 10 (since I don't expect they're going to be that much different from the 9) or Pegasus 32 (I used a Pegasus before my current shoes).

However I'd like to try something with less drop, 6-8mm, nothing too radical. I've read good things about the Saucony Kinvara 5 and I've also been looking at the Nike Free 5.0 (either the spring '15 or summer '15 model, I don't know if there's a significat difference). The thing about the 5.0 is that they are billed as natural running shoes, and while trying them a couple of minutes on a treadmill didn't seem all that different, I worry that overall it would be too much change too fast.

Thoughts?
Went lunarlon, vomero (8 I think), nike flex, free 5.0, which now alternate with free 4.0. The flex was a big change from vomero. The free 5 didn't feel very different from the flex, they feel pretty "natural/minimalist" to me in spite of a high-ish drop. I think I bought last year's model, so it might be old and the foam might have hardened, but it's not very cushiony at all and you can feel the road really well. I really like that, but that's a pretty drastically different feel compared to vomeros. The free 4.0 actually feel a lot cushier, closer to classical shoes (in spite of a slightly lower drop than the 5.0).

So yeah, dunno... but the 5.0 (or the 4.0) probably wouldnt kill you. Unless you have heavy heelstrikes.

Edit:

Yeah there are lots of well established physiological benefits (read here, here, or here), and long runs are a staple of most training regimens. As BrassDragon mentioned however, figuring what kind of distance would make sense for you depends entirely on what you're trying to achieve.

Just ran the first double adventure 8k race (a 5k followed by a 3k) in the U.S., and all I have to say now is I officially hate stairs. Fun run, but this POS ruined my pace lol.

Basically had to run up something similar four times for four times the pain in SF :p. Anyone else try any of the double runs?
Yeah stairs are a bitch. My typical circuit has me climbing up a bridge to cross a river, 88 steps of fiery agony, so I can sort of relate. Nothing as dire as that picture though thank god.

mkenyon

Banned
New pr today! Went for a short 4-mile run since my legs were still tight from lifting, but managed a 6:42 pace on mile 4 (on a limestone trail no less). I know that's nothing for most people, but that's my first sub 7-minute mile! :)

Also, running at an 8:30 pace has become much more comfortable. It's almost what a 10-minute pace used to feel like. Such a great feeling.
That's a damn good pace. I haven't yet hit the sub-7:00 pace, but I don't think my dog would appreciate it much anyway. :p

I can't wait until my body gets used to sub-9/8:30 paces. I've been running for years off/on, but it's only been since March that I really started getting into it.

Out of curiosity, what does everyone here do on their rest days? Recently, I've been running four days a week, and doing circuit training after intervals/easy runs, with two "full" rest days but now I'm thinking of using one of those just for doing light core/full body exercises.

Alright, I fucked up.

I just started running again after a 5-year hiatus, and I've destroyed my feet from wearing flimsy (practically non-existent) Kung Fu/Martial Arts shoes. I felt fine until today: now my bones are unbearably sore.

Can I get any sub-$100 recommendations? I want something extremely minimal/lightweight. I can't stand shoes with tons of padding.

mkenyon

Banned
Alright, I fucked up.

I just started running again after a 5-year hiatus, and I've destroyed my feet from wearing flimsy (practically non-existent) Kung Fu/Martial Arts shoes. I felt fine until today: now my bones are unbearably sore.

Can I get any sub-$100 recommendations? I want something extremely minimal/lightweight. I can't stand shoes with tons of padding.
Either follow a running shoe guide if you understand what kind of runner you are, or go to a dedicated running store where they will be able to determine what kind of shoe is best for you.

With running shoes, it's more about getting the right pair for your feet and style of running. There is no "one size fits all". In that regard, it's almost impossible to make a solid recommendation without way more information.

Alright, I fucked up.

Either follow a running shoe guide if you understand what kind of runner you are, or go to a dedicated running store where they will be able to determine what kind of shoe is best for you.

With running shoes, it's more about getting the right pair for your feet and style of running. There is no "one size fits all". In that regard, it's almost impossible to make a solid recommendation without way more information.

I agree with the bolded. Try out this Running Shoe Wizard, check out the shoes it recommends you, then check out similar shoes.

Also, if you're getting back into running after 5 years, don't push yourself too hard. Start off with slow, short runs, then ramp up gradually.

I agree with the bolded. Try out this Running Shoe Wizard, check out the shoes it recommends you, then check out similar shoes.

Also, if you're getting back into running after 5 years, don't push yourself too hard. Start off with slow, short runs, then ramp up gradually.

Thanks for the advice, guys. That running shoe wizard recommended this, and I think I like what I see:

http://www.runningshoesguru.com/2015/02/asics-gel-ds-trainer-20-review/

Fistwell

Do you all run when it is crazy humid and hot? I could not finish my run today.
Yeah, it's hell... was just reading an article on the topic of heat, suggesting to adjust pace by roughly 30s/mile per 10°C over 15°C. But even running slower, it still feels horrible. ;_;

Zoe

Lessee... it's expected to be 85 (feels like 92) degrees with 64% humidity during my track workout tonight. That's actually not too bad!

Do you all run when it is crazy humid and hot? I could not finish my run today.

I have been. The last run I also could not finish, but that was with heat index at 98F (quite humid out). I only did a couple miles and just was out of steam. I've determined I have to start carrying water in this kind of weather for any decent run. I should have been carrying it all along, but I don't sweat anywhere near as much in milder weather, so I generally wasn't too bothered and could maintain a pace.

Hey Running-GAF, hopefully you can bear with me here and I don't come off too ranty and frustrated.

To put it simply, I cannot build endurance for the life of me. I've never been "obese" or even overweight for my height (6'4") but I was for a while definitely out of shape, college and then moving into a desk job had not been kind. But for the past few years I've made significant efforts to change that, both from an exercise and diet perspective. Obviously the first thing I started doing was running, as that tends to be like the first "go-to" means of getting in shape. After running for 3-4 years I struggle to even hit a mile, much less any of this couch to 5K stuff. I honestly wonder how I've kept myself motivated after months and years of essentially no progress.

Just some facts about what I've done and where I'm at:

• Dropped from about 200lbs/25% bodyfat to about 155lbs and 15% bodyfat at my lowest, I'm up a little from there as I've generally been spending more time in the gym in an effort to build muscle.
  • Exercise 3-4 times a week. In the gym I've made some steady (albeit slow, in my opinion) progress.
  • Vitals tend to be good-to-great, blood pressure, cholesterol levels, blood glucose, etc.
  • Diet also tends to be very good. Typically high protein, moderate carbs and fat. Sugar rarely. Typically weeks to months without drinking alcohol. Never smoked or used any illicit drugs.

When I run, I'll sometimes wear a pacer/heart rate monitor. My pace tends to be fairly slow, like 11min/mile, but looking at my heart rate it seems like after 2-3 minutes of that pace I shoot up to like 180-185bpm. In the 3-4 years I've been at this I feel like I've tried just about everything. Running with music, without music, different running shoes, tried those natural running shoes. I've gone so far as last month had myself tested for asthma. The results were fairly inconclusive but was given montelukast (taken once daily) and an albuterol inhaler (taken 15-20 minutes prior to exercise) and neither of those seem to have any effect. I just feel like even someone giving a half-assed effort at running would have made considerably more progress than I have at this point and I'm at the point where I'm running (ha ha ha) out of ideas.

Well I've sidelined myself at least temporarily post-half-marathon. Felt pretty good, did a couple runs, but then strained the tendon near my ankle (the Peroneal, not the Achilles). Been RICEing it daily but I'm definitely off it for a while. I have a 5k on the 4th that I can hopefully run, but we'll see.

I have had a week off running. I should stay rested a few more days, but I just need to get back out on the road. Not happy that this little layoff has delayed my goals for the month, but July will hopefully see me reach them

mdsfx

Ran 6 miles in 50:45 today. Finally just under an 8:30 pace! Very happy about that. It's starting to feel much more comfortable.

On another note, my hamstrings are the first thing to cause trouble, usually tightening up around mile 4-5. Should I just do more stretching on off days?

Top Bottom