• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Hyunkel6

BrassDragon, how long has you been running? Your pace is something else! Any tips?

I started to run 10Ks a week ago after a year hiatus, and I averaged ~5:35/km.

BrassDragon, how long has you been running? Your pace is something else! Any tips?

I started to run 10Ks a week ago after a year hiatus, and I averaged ~5:35/km.

Cheers, guys.

I've been running several times a week for almost 20 years.

Guess the best lesson I learned is that running is the sum total of everything: what you eat, how you move, how you sleep, how strong you are, how flexible you are, how you recover from injury or fatigue, even down to your mindset when you put on your flats.

If nothing else, I recommend strength training which a lot of runners seem to ignore and even look down on. I got a ton of mileage out of body weight exercises which has become a habit over the years - but if I had to do it over, I would have done more in the gym with proper weights.

Whenever I hit a ceiling, instead of changing up my training schedule or trying to push harder, I stay committed but tweak little things: maybe spend a week on my form or look critically at post-run meals, work solely on flexibility during off-days etc. It's amazing and gratifying how you get sudden improvements from something like eating more protein, a dozen yoga sessions, regular chin-ups or 30 minutes extra sleep every night. My last tweak was adding weekly hill sprints to my schedule.

Heh, it sounds obsessive and maybe it is, but I enjoy the process: it's fun to me, like planning tactics in a game. If a tweak doesn't work, at least I learned something new about myself.

Linius

I didn't expect anything other than this, you can't run a time like that if you're not 100% devoted. Down to food, sleeping and everything. I'm perfectly fine with what I can achieve without the commitment. It's more of a lazy hobby for me :p

After almost a year of struggling (and feeling I was bashing my head against a plateau) I finally pushed my 10 kilometer time past the 35 minute mark, setting my personal best at 34:24.

This was just a test run around an industrial park, not even a race. I was cruising and feeling the flow but didn't realize I was breaking the barrier as I was doing it. Woohoo!

I wanted to do attain this before I turned 40. Didn't quite make it but at least I can cross it off before turning 41.

Fe1Qe8j.jpg

The secret sauce appears to be hill training, which I started incorporating two months ago.

Current mood: awesome.

You are a beast. Congrats, man!

I tried on some Newton shoes for the first time (no dealers are particularly close to me). Very interesting feel. I may give the Distance model a go when I'm looking to replace my Kinvaras.

edit: A little over 200 miles on the Kinvaras...they still have life for sure but decided to give the Newtons (Distance IV) a go...will try them out later in the week. If they won't work out I'll just exchange them for a pair of the updated Kinvara most likely.

Also...BrassDragon...wtf. That's an amazing pace.

Cyan

Banned
Nice work, BrassDragon! I've been fighting off a string of minor injuries and haven't been able to really run in about a month. Super frustrating. :/

Can't wait to get back on the road.

Hyunkel6

Cheers, guys.

I've been running several times a week for almost 20 years.

Guess the best lesson I learned is that running is the sum total of everything: what you eat, how you move, how you sleep, how strong you are, how flexible you are, how you recover from injury or fatigue, even down to your mindset when you put on your flats.

If nothing else, I recommend strength training which a lot of runners seem to ignore and even look down on. I got a ton of mileage out of body weight exercises which has become a habit over the years - but if I had to do it over, I would have done more in the gym with proper weights.

Whenever I hit a ceiling, instead of changing up my training schedule or trying to push harder, I stay committed but tweak little things: maybe spend a week on my form or look critically at post-run meals, work solely on flexibility during off-days etc. It's amazing and gratifying how you get sudden improvements from something like eating more protein, a dozen yoga sessions, regular chin-ups or 30 minutes extra sleep every night. My last tweak was adding weekly hill sprints to my schedule.

Heh, it sounds obsessive and maybe it is, but I enjoy the process: it's fun to me, like planning tactics in a game. If a tweak doesn't work, at least I learned something new about myself.
Thanks! I can't say that I like weight training, but I do understand its benefits. It's just really hard to go to the gym in the summer when I can be outside running or biking. I do lift once or twice a week, but my heart is not into it.

Ran a 4 mile race in the Texas heat at a 9'26" pace. Not bad for only 4 weeks prior training. Then I played a 40 minute soccer game 3 hours after one man down entire game. Finally I ran a "slow" 5k today to recover. Id say I got my money's worth this weekend. :)

Overall I am feeling good right now. I have my race calendar set for the rest of the year with my peak being the Dallas half-marathon in December.

After almost a year of struggling (and feeling I was bashing my head against a plateau) I finally pushed my 10 kilometer time past the 35 minute mark, setting my personal best at 34:24.

This was just a test run around an industrial park, not even a race. I was cruising and feeling the flow but didn't realize I was breaking the barrier as I was doing it. Woohoo!

I wanted to do attain this before I turned 40. Didn't quite make it but at least I can cross it off before turning 41.

Fe1Qe8j.jpg

The secret sauce appears to be hill training, which I started incorporating two months ago.

Current mood: awesome.

Congratulations on achieving your goal. What are you aiming for next?

I really hope I can get my 10k under 40 this year. I was able to get it to 43 a few years back but then have taken long periods of and not gotten anyway near under 49 since. This year I am gonna take it a lot more seriously and not try to be inactive for any long period of time. I would love to one day be able to get under 35, the feeling must be amazing.

I need to try and find some more hills near where I live. When I set my PB it was when I lived in a hilly area and always got a good workout in. Then a couple weeks ago I was running round a hilly area twice and noticed a huge difference in my time last week.

Congratulations on achieving your goal. What are you aiming for next?

Thanks... heh, I still haven't figured out what's next - didn't expect to suddenly hit my goal, figured it was going to happen in upcoming races a few months from now.

My department is competing in the national police games which is basically obstacle runs so I may focus on upper body strength for a bit while maintaining running pace.

I need to try and find some more hills near where I live. When I set my PB it was when I lived in a hilly area and always got a good workout in. Then a couple weeks ago I was running round a hilly area twice and noticed a huge difference in my time last week.

I only have a single hill around here but that's really all you need. I do sprints to the top (straight line, all forefoot strikes) and jog back down for 10-20 reps, 3 times a week. It's beast (easily my toughest workout) but effective.

Thanks... heh, I still haven't figured out what's next - didn't expect to suddenly hit my goal, figured it was going to happen in upcoming races a few months from now.

My department is competing in the national police games which is basically obstacle runs so I may focus on upper body strength for a bit while maintaining running pace.

I only have a single hill around here but that's really all you need. I do sprints to the top (straight line, all forefoot strikes) and jog back down for 10-20 reps, 3 times a week. It's beast (easily my toughest workout) but effective.

sounds good. I have a 11k planned for tomorrow morning, but might try to schedule in my first double day in a long time with a hill workout, especially as Thursday is a rest day and only a little 3k planned for Friday before my 19k time trial on Saturday. There is a quite steep hill near me so i might try and give it 10 reps after work tomorrow.

entremet

I'm at week 5 of Couch to 5k.

20 minute jog without break done!

Longest time without stopping for me yet. I can't believe I'm doing this. I've always hated and sucked at running.

Linius

pVxb.png

Did a pretty decent 7km just now. Will be my last intense training before I'm doing that 7km event on sunday. I'll probably do a slow 5km on thursday just to cover some distance and then I hope to be a bit faster on my 7km on sunday. Only downside is that I start at 1pm. Praying it won't be a sunny and hot day.

Since I moved out a month ago I also got a nice change of scenery. Great to have this close to my house.

I had been trying to get back into running this spring to compete again in the GAF Nike+ challenges. I was having throbbing pain on the inside of the knee but was able to hobble out 3 miles at a time (~9 min pace). Finally got my knee looked at last week. Torn meniscus! Surgery June 24. Hopefully I can make it back for some fall GAF challenges.

alekth

Does anyone know of a good place (site or book) to find some good running regimen (or instructions on constructing one) that will mix up variety, plain getting better and no huge (or seemingly huge end goals)?

I currently do (or, rather, recently gotten back into doing after cold months) things like endurance runs (staying at low HR), moderate steady pace, uphill intervals, sprint intervals and 400m fast-paced intervals. I'm having trouble deciding on when and how often to do what, and possibly how much/how intense. I did most of those things last year (minus the uphill run) and think I could have done better despite some general improvements.

Mostly articles on the net seem to focus on how to get to 5K, 10K, marathon etc, but I have no problem doing a 5K and generally I'm not very interested in a 10K or upwards - both because the park I run in is about 5K going through most routes, but also I'm not really willing to put in more than 30-45 min a day plus the 20ish it gets me to walk to there and back.

SomethingClever

Neo Member
Does anyone know of a good place (site or book) to find some good running regimen (or instructions on constructing one) that will mix up variety, plain getting better and no huge (or seemingly huge end goals)?

I currently do (or, rather, recently gotten back into doing after cold months) things like endurance runs (staying at low HR), moderate steady pace, uphill intervals, sprint intervals and 400m fast-paced intervals. I'm having trouble deciding on when and how often to do what, and possibly how much/how intense. I did most of those things last year (minus the uphill run) and think I could have done better despite some general improvements.

Mostly articles on the net seem to focus on how to get to 5K, 10K, marathon etc, but I have no problem doing a 5K and generally I'm not very interested in a 10K or upwards - both because the park I run in is about 5K going through most routes, but also I'm not really willing to put in more than 30-45 min a day plus the 20ish it gets me to walk to there.

Jack Daniels is supposed to be pretty good. I haven't read it, but a number of people whose training I respect seem to follow his philosophy.

http://www.amazon.com/Daniels-Running-Formula-3rd-Edition-Jack/dp/1450431836

I think I might buy myself the new Pegasus 32. I love my Flyknit Racers but they have 600k on them now and I think i need a general trainer for my mile work and will get a new pair of Racers for my speed runs.

Jack Daniels is supposed to be pretty good. I haven't read it, but a number of people whose training I respect seem to follow his philosophy.

http://www.amazon.com/Daniels-Running-Formula-3rd-Edition-Jack/dp/1450431836

I might look into this once i finish my current training program. Would love to take my running to the next level.

I'm at week 5 of Couch to 5k.

20 minute jog without break done!

Longest time without stopping for me yet. I can't believe I'm doing this. I've always hated and sucked at running.

Keep up the good work!

Just finished a 3.5 mile run at 30" slower than my 4 mile race pace Saturday. My mind wanted to give up at 2 miles but I called myself some bad names and pushed ok.

according to my Fitbit aria scale I'm down .5% body fat in 5 weeks of running. Not bad. 6.5% to go.

Fistwell

What's the typical nutritional strategy for runners? If carbs are fuel, do you eat carbs-heavy before a long run? What about after practice runs? Do you go low-carb for a while then gobble a metric fuck-ton of pasta the night before a race? What do you eat before a run, and how long before?

All I know if carbs are evil and make me obese. Also, I can't run with something in my stomach, nor have something in my stomach for a few hours after an intense run. *shrug*

I was told to eat a banana before I go run. I would barf the shit out of that banana not 2 minutes after I started running.

What's the typical nutritional strategy for runners? If carbs are fuel, do you eat carbs-heavy before a long run? What about after practice runs? Do you go low-carb for a while then gobble a metric fuck-ton of pasta the night before a race? What do you eat before a run, and how long before?

All I know if carbs are evil and make me obese. Also, I can't run with something in my stomach, nor have something in my stomach for a few hours after an intense run. *shrug*

I was told to eat a banana before I go run. I would barf the shit out of that banana not 2 minutes after I started running.

Recently, I've been logging everything that I eat into MyFitnessPal and it's been a game changer when I combine it with my VivoActive to check on my nutrition and how many active calories I'm burning. Really motivates me to make a "smart" selection when it comes to eating out.

Usually, I do eat a banana (and iced coffee w/ coconut milk) before I run. Otherwise I end up feeling lethargic when I work out. Oddly enough, I have the opposite problem. I get freaking hungry after I workout but can't eat a whole lot- just need something in my stomach.

entremet

Carbo loading is unnecessary. I eat relatively low carb and I never have any issues with fueling.

I also run in fasted state. I don't like having food in my stomach when I run.

I'm a rank beginner though. I'm not doing ultras or Iron Mans, which I would reckon would require more fueling.

There are low carb athletes, who are fat adapted, using fat as fuel, who do these events too.

Linius

I usually make sure that there's at least 90 to 120 minutes between my last meal and my run. Eating before my run really doesn't work for me. Only exception is the before mentioned banana. If I have one like an hour or so before my run it doesn't really affect me.

But then again, I'm not really serious with food in combination with my running activities. I eat and drink whatever pleases me. Well to a certain degree of course, I obviously don't eat fat shit every day.

I usually run in the morning on an empty stomach and have no problem running a half marathon distance like that. For my afternoon/evening runs I usually try not to eat a lot during the day, usually a can of tuna a few hours before I run.

I have never tried any, but maybe you should try eating some gels, maybe that will help you and keep you fuelled up.

So annoyed, went to the Nike store in Seoul to buy the Pegasus 32 and they don't stock them until Monday :((( I changed my rest day this week to yesterday because I was so excited about buying them and running in them today. I think I will try the Nike running analysis when I pick them up. Will be interesting to know the mechanics of my running style.I believe I am a forefoot striking, but never really can tell too good.

RS4-

I haven't done any active running for years; feels pretty bad, especially after being one of those multi-sport people.

So I picked up the LunarGlide 6, Zoom Structure 18, and Zoom TR2.

You guys using compression/cushioned socks as well, yeah?

Zoe

I also run in fasted state. I don't like having food in my stomach when I run.

I'm a rank beginner though. I'm not doing ultras or Iron Mans, which I would reckon would require more fueling.

I do all of my long distances fasted. Though during 10mi+ races I do refuel with whatever is offered along the way.

Running seems to be the only activity I can do fasted though, and that's a problem I have to figure out sooner rather than later. I do yoga and Body Pump on my non-running days, but if my lunch isn't big enough I feel too shaky to do those. So for the most part I just eat one big meal a day which puts a damper on my personal and social life.

There is generally no reason to carb load unless you are planning to run more than 10k.

In fact, it's recommended to do your training runs without water. Turns out when you are slightly dehydrated you perform better.

Linius

I hardly ever drink during my runs. Only at events I sometimes pick up a cup of water when I pass a water point. Usually when it's 10km+.

I did try a gel one time, got it from my dad. Tastes like shit :p

I still remember when I first started to run and needed a bottle of water with me when just running a little one k. I am at the stage now where I can do 21k in the early morning with no water with no problem. I try to avoid the afternoon sun as much as possible and feel 13k is my limit in the heat. So try to only do shorter runs then.

I am not looking forward to working out the water eating shit for when I progress from a half to full marathon training program.

Fistwell

Recently, I've been logging everything that I eat into MyFitnessPal and it's been a game changer when I combine it with my VivoActive to check on my nutrition and how many active calories I'm burning. Really motivates me to make a "smart" selection when it comes to eating out.
When I was trying to lose weight last year I was using myfitnesspal as well, it did help me tremendously, especially to put in perspective what I ate and how much I exercised. I ended up stalling at my current weight sometimes in november, and I got bored of logging the same shit everyday. Eating habits have slipped a little bit, it could be a good idea to start using mfp again.

How's the watch you mention? I'm using the nike+ GPS watch, which is serviceable enough but nothing special (tracks my runs, logs them online).

Usually, I do eat a banana (and iced coffee w/ coconut milk) before I run. Otherwise I end up feeling lethargic when I work out. Oddly enough, I have the opposite problem. I get freaking hungry after I workout but can't eat a whole lot- just need something in my stomach.
Yeah I can't have anything in my stomach either when I run or for a while after I ran, especially if it was a long or intense run. I usually feel fine, although I've felt flat before, in particular when I was losing weight (big calorie deficit + probably not enough sleep).

Carbo loading is unnecessary. I eat relatively low carb and I never have any issues with fueling.

There are low carb athletes, who are fat adapted, using fat as fuel, who do these events too.
Isn't that last thing ketosis though? I'm trying to avoid eating too many carbs, but I'm far from a ketosis diet. Dunno how much I eat per day, but it's probably about 80 to 100g of carbs.

I usually make sure that there's at least 90 to 120 minutes between my last meal and my run. Eating before my run really doesn't work for me. Only exception is the before mentioned banana. If I have one like an hour or so before my run it doesn't really affect me.
Fucking bananas man, they're all over! I sort of do the same as you though. On weekdays, I run after work, from 5:30PM, about 5hrs after lunch. On weekends I typically run after I've had breakfast, but I usually wait at least 1h and a 1/2 after eating (usually some coffee and a cple of wheat bran pancakes). Might try a banana this weekend to see what the fuss is about. ;)

But then again, I'm not really serious with food in combination with my running activities. I eat and drink whatever pleases me. Well to a certain degree of course, I obviously don't eat fat shit every day.
Yeah kind of the same here. I'm mainly winging it, trying not to eat too much crap. Seeing Brass Dragon's successes though, and reading how meticulous he is about things, I've been wondering if maybe taking a closer look at my diet would help me stop sucking.

I usually run in the morning on an empty stomach and have no problem running a half marathon distance like that. For my afternoon/evening runs I usually try not to eat a lot during the day, usually a can of tuna a few hours before I run.
Good to know. I run 20+Km on sundays on a coffee and the aforementioned pancakes. I've been told that's dangerous/detrimental and that I should eat more. I haven't felt like I was running on empty though, just general fatigue setting in. See the pace curve on top of the page, it's overall trending down but there's no dramatic breakdown telling me I'm running on fumes (low red areas correspond to stairs I have to climb or steep uphills).

I have never tried any, but maybe you should try eating some gels, maybe that will help you and keep you fuelled up.
Maybe I should. I've been kind of on a bio/natural/non-chemical/non-industrial slant ever since I started watching my weight. Chemical gel thingies kind of run counter to that and I'll have to force myself, but I might give it a shot if only to see if it works for me.

I think I will try the Nike running analysis when I pick them up. Will be interesting to know the mechanics of my running style.I believe I am a forefoot striking, but never really can tell too good.
I'd like to get someone to look at my form as well... They got nothing like that (that I know of) around these parts though unfortunately.

I do all of my long distances fasted. Though during 10mi+ races I do refuel with whatever is offered along the way.
Again, good to know. Was almost starting to fear that running on an empty stomach was weird and dangerous.

There is generally no reason to carb load unless you are planning to run more than 10k.
Whatabout for a semi? And if one were to carb load, how long before would that be? Dinner the night before?

In fact, it's recommended to do your training runs without water. Turns out when you are slightly dehydrated you perform better.
I hardly ever drink during my runs. Only at events I sometimes pick up a cup of water when I pass a water point. Usually when it's 10km+.
I still remember when I first started to run and needed a bottle of water with me when just running a little one k. I am at the stage now where I can do 21k in the early morning with no water with no problem. I try to avoid the afternoon sun as much as possible and feel 13k is my limit in the heat. So try to only do shorter runs then.
That's interesting. I used to bring a small bottle on my weekday shortish runs (7.5Km) and kind of force myself to drink a bit mid-way through. Eventually, I got sick of it and realized my body didn't seem to need or even want water at that time. I still drink plenty afterwards, but never during. I don't drink either on longer runs, and I don't feel like that's a huge problem, or at least my body is not screaming for water during the run.

lol now I really want to try.

Danielsan

My two week holiday abroad has kind of thrown me off in terms of running, but I'm now back on track and trying to put in a run every other day. It's not going all that smoothly though. I'm still struggling to get under 25:00 (granted I'm probably not pushing myself to the max). Yesterday I managed 25:01 and on Monday 25:16. I'm also noticing some minor nagging pains (knees and shins) at times. Something tells me that the struggle to get my pace back to where it used to be last year (23:00 - 24:00 for 5k) has to do with my weight increase. I've probably gained about 3-4 kg compared to last year (which I intend to lose) and I feel that it's literally weighing me down.

I read a thing from Mo Farah earlier and he says he never drinks during running. Carrying a water bottle disrupts his balance.

I have never heard anything about it being dangerous not to eat before a run. I think it all just comes down to how your body is. I am sure there are people who can wake up and run a marathon on an empty stomach while others cant even run a few Ks.

I always read that is important to find all these things out while you are still building a base before your training. You dont want to be halfway through training or a couple days before a race and changing things up. Mix it up and see what works best and then stick with it.

My two week holiday abroad has kind of thrown me off in terms of running, but I'm now back on track and trying to put in a run every other day. It's not going all that smoothly though. I'm still struggling to get under 25:00 (granted I'm probably not pushing myself to the max). Yesterday I managed 25:01 and on Monday 25:16. I'm also noticing some minor nagging pains (knees and shins) at times. Something tells me that the struggle to get my pace back to where it used to be last year (23:00 - 24:00 for 5k) has to do with my weight increase. I've probably gained about 3-4 kg compared to last year (which I intend to lose) and I feel that it's literally weighing me down.

I often feel like this too. I am still 8-10 kgs away from when i set my personal 5k,10k and 21k PB. Obviously the weight does weigh you down, but I always use it as an excuse for my times now and when i am heavier. I feel that I dont push myself hard enough because I just think that I will naturally get faster as the weight drops.

Taking my running a little more serious and I have seen a 4 minute drop in my 10k over the last 3 weeks while actually putting on a bit of weight. I hope to set new PBs in the next few months while being heavier than before.

Zoe

Shots are the nastiest thing ever. I go for the gummies instead.

Fistwell

I feel that I dont push myself hard enough because I just think that I will naturally get faster as the weight drops.
Yeah, the mental aspect plays a huge role for me as well. In similar conditions, same rest, same weather, same circuit, I can have differences of up to 30s/Km depending on whether I'm actually trying hard or just going through the motions. Some days I want it, some days I just don't have that edge or mental energy.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I read a thing from Mo Farah earlier and he says he never drinks during running. Carrying a water bottle disrupts his balance.

I have never heard anything about it being dangerous not to eat before a run. I think it all just comes down to how your body is. I am sure there are people who can wake up and run a marathon on an empty stomach while others cant even run a few Ks.

I always read that is important to find all these things out while you are still building a base before your training. You dont want to be halfway through training or a couple days before a race and changing things up. Mix it up and see what works best and then stick with it.

Running on an empty stomach works for me. I run quite often in the morning without eating anything before. No crazy distances, usually between 5-10K. Some of my best times come from those morning runs. But it seems to depend mostly on your mental state as Festwill also adresses.

Linius

For some reason I ended up doing mostly evening runs since my comeback the other week. I guess my four exams from this week are partly to blame. Crazy week, but now I'm freeee

Gonna have dinner a bit early today so I can get running by 8pm. Doing a 'birds watching' session today. Just to make some ground. Can't wait for sunday. The weather should be cloudy, about 18 degrees celcius. Almost perfect.

How's the watch you mention? I'm using the nike+ GPS watch, which is serviceable enough but nothing special (tracks my runs, logs them online).

Not OP, but can chime in here. I've been using the VivoActive since it released. There's a lot I like about it - GPS connection is fast and reliable, and the watch works for tracking heartrate with a strap as well. It also functions as a daily activity tracker if you're into that, as well as offering smartphone notifications.

It does just about everything you'd want, but it doesn't do interval training workouts. You need to manually keep track using the lap key, or set the auto-lap distance to your interval distance. Obviously not helpful if you're doing any sort of variation or Fartlek-style workouts. It's been mostly fine for me though.

Cyan

Banned

Yeah, I find it kind of hard to drink during a run. I sort of have to actually stop for a moment, and I hate doing that. I'm with you, I usually don't bother if it's 10k or less.

entremet

@festwill

Yes those are ketosis diets, but these are for elite competitions I'm talking about.

You shouldn't feel the need to up your carbs based on your current activity level.

Zoe

I need to stop reading DC Rainmaker.

I don't really need a new fitness watch right now, but the Polar M400 sounds so tempting... it can't do in-water tracking though :(

Edit: oh wait, but the A300 does!

Linius

Yeah, I find it kind of hard to drink during a run. I sort of have to actually stop for a moment, and I hate doing that. I'm with you, I usually don't bother if it's 10k or less.

That annoys me. You know at events they always have cups filled with water (or sometimes some sports drink) ready for you at given points along the track. I'm just never able to manage picking one up and drinking it whilst running. I usually end up taking two zips and pouring the rest anywhere but my mouth.

This is something I'd be willing to try though. I'm gunning for longer distances so I'm gonna have to carry water with me at some point anyways.

max_505

For some reason I ended up doing mostly evening runs since my comeback the other week. I guess my four exams from this week are partly to blame. Crazy week, but now I'm freeee

Gonna have dinner a bit early today so I can get running by 8pm. Doing a 'birds watching' session today. Just to make some ground. Can't wait for sunday. The weather should be cloudy, about 18 degrees celcius. Almost perfect.

18 C? Damn, if only the weather in the Philippines could be like that. Usual temp here is around 30 C, but since it's summer, it's around 35 C and that doesn't include the humidity yet. I'm already sweating before I even start my run/warm up.

When I was trying to lose weight last year I was using myfitnesspal as well, it did help me tremendously, especially to put in perspective what I ate and how much I exercised. I ended up stalling at my current weight sometimes in november, and I got bored of logging the same shit everyday. Eating habits have slipped a little bit, it could be a good idea to start using mfp again.

Love the VivoActive. Let's me track all of my running/cardio/misc. fitness activities together in a single app unlike things like FitBit. I have yet to try it for swimming, but since my allergies are finally dying out it's probably time for me to start reintegrating it into my training routine.

Personally, I don't see any real reason to own a full-featured smartwatch, like the Apple Watch, which is why I went for more of a fitness hybrid like this. It's nice to get buzzed about notifications from my phone when I'm at work, especially from my boss, so the watch really works for my needs.

That annoys me. You know at events they always have cups filled with water (or sometimes some sports drink) ready for you at given points along the track. I'm just never able to manage picking one up and drinking it whilst running. I usually end up taking two zips and pouring the rest anywhere but my mouth.

Did you try pinching the top edge of the cup between your fingers and sipping from the 'V' of the fold?
Nothing Freudian about this advice. At all.

Fistwell

Not OP, but can chime in here. I've been using the VivoActive since it released. There's a lot I like about it - GPS connection is fast and reliable, and the watch works for tracking heartrate with a strap as well. It also functions as a daily activity tracker if you're into that, as well as offering smartphone notifications.
Thanks for the reply. Does it work with standard HR straps (if there's such a thing) or do you have to buy some garmin accessory?

Love the VivoActive. Let's me track all of my running/cardio/misc. fitness activities together in a single app unlike things like FitBit. I have yet to try it for swimming, but since my allergies are finally dying out it's probably time for me to start reintegrating it into my training routine.
Sounds good. My nike GPS watch is dying a slow painful death (chipped in many places, strap about to split in half, starting to sometimes lose GPS signal). I should be reasonable, swap out the broken strap and roll with it, but I kind of want a new toy. ;3

18 C? Damn, if only the weather in the Philippines could be like that. Usual temp here is around 30 C, but since it's summer, it's around 35 C and that doesn't include the humidity yet. I'm already sweating before I even start my run/warm up.
Yeah temperature has a pretty big impact. Been getting a little cooler here, had a cple of weeks of high 20s/low 30s, fell back down to 17/18C, made a world of difference.

Yes those are ketosis diets, but these are for elite competitions I'm talking about.
For elite competitors and ILoveBish.

eot

Banned
I've been running for little over a month, usually around 5km a few times a week. Are there any general rules for how quickly you should ramp up the distance? Just in terms of staying injury free I mean.

Fistwell

I've been running for little over a month, usually around 5km a few times a week. Are there any general rules for how quickly you should ramp up the distance? Just in terms of staying injury free I mean.
I think I've read people using +10% distance/week as a rule of thumb but others might have a more precise answer.

I find that the best technique for drinking during a race is to pinch the top of cup so the opening is as narrow as possible. Stick a corner in your mouth, tip the cup up slightly and suck on it like a straw. It tends to interrupt your breathing and is less messy.

You really shouldn't need more than a few sips.

Top Bottom