• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Zoe

If you live close to the countryside you can probably find trails that'll be easier on your legs than asphalt. Tartan tracks are also a decent option. The beach is pretty great too.
In the sand? I had a friend break a leg that way.

Zamorro

I struggle with hitting 2.5 miles on a treadmill. I can do two in under 19 minutes but damn. I've never street ran before, I'm convinced they'd have to rebuild my shins afterwards. I also think a lot of what my problem is is that I pace myself terribly.

Why not use a heart rate monitor if you have trouble pacing yourself?

I started using one in June and my runs became much easier. It turned out that I was going much too fast in my "easy runs", which should be the majority of your runs.

You can buy a Polar H7 for around $50 and use it with smartphone apps. Or you could buy a watch and heart rate monitor, like the Polar M400, but that's obviously more expensive.

If you have "shin splints", you are probably running with a heel strike. Try leaning forward a little while running and land on your forefoot, mid foot.

Zoe

You can buy a Polar H7 for around $50 and use it with smartphone apps. Or you could buy a watch and heart rate monitor, like the Polar M400, but that's obviously more expensive.

An A300 is a better entry model than the M400, or the FT7 if you don't care about BT syncing.

I'm currently using an FT7 + an H7 monitor... cause I couldn't pop open the back of the original H1 monitor after a year or so of use. I take better care of the H7 now >_<

I struggle with hitting 2.5 miles on a treadmill. I can do two in under 19 minutes but damn. I've never street ran before, I'm convinced they'd have to rebuild my shins afterwards. I also think a lot of what my problem is is that I pace myself terribly.

If you're pacing yourself horribly, then try setting it to a lower speed/incline on the treadmill? I know for myself, I struggle with running on treadmills a lot more than I do than running outside so I have to go and set my pace much lower than my outdoor pace (treadmill: 9:00-10:30 w a incline of 2.0-3.0 vs 7:45-9:00 outdoors).

Also, are you just running or are you doing other exercises as well? Try doing some additional stretching for flexibility and strength training to help support your legs/hips to keep up your strength. Everything helps!

Why not use a heart rate monitor if you have trouble pacing yourself?

I started using one in June and my runs became much easier. It turned out that I was going much too fast in my "easy runs", which should be the majority of your runs.

If you have "shin splints", you are probably running with a heel strike. Try leaning forward a little while running and land on your forefoot, mid foot.
I'm usually in a hurry on the treadmill. I usually want to do about two miles and then get off to go catch my train. It's the last thing I do actually. I think my strike points now are better than they used to be since it's been a good amount of time since I've gotten something like a blister on my feet from running. Regarding my pacing I shouldn't be trying to break any records. I'm usually at a 7.1 or 7.2 on the treadmill granted 6.7 - 6.9 are fine if I can get the rhythm right.
If you're pacing yourself horribly, then try setting it to a lower speed/incline on the treadmill? I know for myself, I struggle with running on treadmills a lot more than I do than running outside so I have to go and set my pace much lower than my outdoor pace (treadmill: 9:00-10:30 w a incline of 2.0-3.0 vs 7:45-9:00 outdoors).

Also, are you just running or are you doing other exercises as well? Try doing some additional stretching for flexibility and strength training to help support your legs/hips to keep up your strength. Everything helps!
Yeah I do other exercises, nothing too leg intensive though. I think my legs are in pretty decent shape, but I'm pretty sure I could improve on that a bit. Granted every time I hit the leg press my ass and lower parts of my glutes kill me for a day or two. I actually ran with a slightly slower pace than usual and managed to hit 2.2 miles in a good amount of time. The incline I run at is only something like 0.8, it's not too extreme at all.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Running Gaf, what are you favorite running knee sleeves? I started running up stairs and have been feeling it in my knees. I have previously ran before and have never had issues. I would greatly appreciate your feed back. I only run stairs once a week and would only use them then.

So.... next week's race might be very wet.

Poncho or trash bag?

What will the temperature be like? How long?

If it's not too cold, I'd say trash bag at the start corral then ditch it for your normal shirt/top once you get going. Just embrace getting wet.

KiKaL

I've got my first marathon in two weeks and just started developing a bad stabbing pain in the inside or my knee : /. It doesn't get bad until about 10miles in. I cut my long run yesterday short when it happened. It started last week but doesn't really show up until longer runs. I am just hoping that it gets better between now and then. Luckily my training plan is tapering down for the most part at this point so I am hoping that helps it heal.

Side note, is it weird to wear a camelback for marathons? I train with one and have used it in obstacle course racing so weight and comfort isn't an issue. I like having water on me so I don't have to slow down at water stations. I know running belts are pretty common with water bottles just didn't know about camelbacks.

Linius

I ran my half marathon in continious rain. It didn't came pooring down though, but it was wet most of the way. Didn't bother me much. Running keeps you warm anyways.

Zoe

What will the temperature be like? How long?

If it's not too cold, I'd say trash bag at the start corral then ditch it for your normal shirt/top once you get going. Just embrace getting wet.

Upper 50's. Last year it got hot near the end, but I don't know how it will be without the sun. Yesterday it never got past the lower 60's.

Linius

I've got my first marathon in two weeks and just started developing a bad stabbing pain in the inside or my knee : /. It doesn't get bad until about 10miles in. I cut my long run yesterday short when it happened. It started last week but doesn't really show up until longer runs. I am just hoping that it gets better between now and then. Luckily my training plan is tapering down for the most part at this point so I am hoping that helps it heal.

Side note, is it weird to wear a camelback for marathons? I train with one and have used it in obstacle course racing so weight and comfort isn't an issue. I like having water on me so I don't have to slow down at water stations. I know running belts are pretty common with water bottles just didn't know about camelbacks.

I see enough people running with those bags, in events too.

Don't run with a camelback. I wouldn't wear a running belt either. Any decent marathon should have more than enough water stations. Whether you feel it or not, weight is an issue, especially over 26 miles. Drinking from a cup on the go is a bit of a skill but it shouldn't slow you down. I always make sure to make eye contact with the volunteer passing out the water (if there is one, no issue if it's a table) to make the pass smoother. Then pinch the edge of the cup as narrow as possible and sort of suck the water out. You won't gag/spill it all over yourself that way. I actually practiced it before my first marathon!

Good luck with the knee! Rest up and take it easy. Trust the training you've done and focus on getting healthy.

Upper 50's. Last year it got hot near the end, but I don't know how it will be without the sun. Yesterday it never got past the lower 60's.

Anything above 45 or so and I race in short sleeves, even in the rain. I really dislike feeling weighed down though. Perhaps pin your bib to your bottoms and wear a disposable layer up top you can ditch if you're too warm?

Linius

I'm too lazy to look up those temperatures but in Celcius I walk in shorts with every temperature above 0. Just make sure you'll have something to keep you warm before the start. Once you start running you won't notice the temperature anymore.

mkenyon

Banned
Picked up some new Trail Runners this weekend. North Face Ultra 109s. I've never been able to buy a pair of shoes in an 11 because my forefoot runs so damn wide, it looks like I have frog feet. These guys have a huge toe box, and run wide in general.

Did 7.5 miles on Saturday, 6 miles yesterday, without even breaking them in beforehand. Not a single hot spot, and my feet feel great. It was also pretty rainy yesterday, and my feet were totally dry. Shoes also provided a really good amount of grip despite the rain/mud.

I'm too lazy to look up those temperatures but in Celcius I walk in shorts with every temperature above 0. Just make sure you'll have something to keep you warm before the start. Once you start running you won't notice the temperature anymore.
+1

Though, I'll wear running tights under my shorts if it's 32-40 and raining (0-6 C).

Zoe

I'm not too worried about the cold--already did a race in near-freezing temps. It's the rain I'm mostly concerned with.

TheGrue

Anything above 45 or so and I race in short sleeves, even in the rain.

My rule is 32 or above and I'm in shorts, assuming the sun is out. If it's colder than that, I'll likely put on running pants. The other day it was raining and 48 and I ran in long sleeves and shorts. It's only cold for maybe the first mile and I run 6 miles at a minimum.

Also, I love running in rain. Don't get many opportunities here in Colorado and treasure every one.

I realized this week that women that hurt you are the greatest motivation. Well she didn't really hurt me, but long distance relationship and all that. But my goodness, no matter the weather, no matter the time, no matter how you feel. She comes up in your mind in a negative way, boom, go for a run.

I realized this week that women that hurt you are the greatest motivation. Well she didn't really hurt me, but long distance relationship and all that. But my goodness, no matter the weather, no matter the time, no matter how you feel. She comes up in your mind in a negative way, boom, go for a run.

It's not a significant other in my case, but negative feelings sure have been fueling many good runs for me too.

Any tips for knee pain when running? My left knee has been giving me trouble when I run. It's usually after about 10-15 minutes, I start having sharp pain in the knee cap when my foot hits the ground (treadmill).

I'm a beginner but I used to run in the past. I'm not overweight if that makes a difference. I started doing a bootcamp (Barry's Bootcamp - similar to crossfit I suppose), so admittedly the intensity is high, but I have cut back on that. I typically omit any incline increase when training as well as run at slower speeds when I'm doing the sprint portions.

I bought Nike trainers as well as some good Aasics running shoes. I'm trying to watch my form so that my stride is correct and I land mid foot when appropriate. I even took a break for a few weeks to let the knee rest, but it came back immediately when I started running again. It's demoralizing to have this happen when I'm doing well with my fitness goals otherwise.

Was very disappointed with how they handled security for the start of the race. 30k+ ppl 7 metal detectors and not letting anyone through till a hour before the race. I got there 90 minutes before the race start and didn't get to the start line till 30 minutes after it started. Gave it my best shot zig zagging the whole course but never really got to race it like i wanted. It's more about honoring the marines during this race anyway

LpWCTLW.jpg

Any tips for knee pain when running? My left knee has been giving me trouble when I run. It's usually after about 10-15 minutes, I start having sharp pain in the knee cap when my foot hits the ground (treadmill).

I'm a beginner but I used to run in the past. I'm not overweight if that makes a difference. I started doing a bootcamp (Barry's Bootcamp - similar to crossfit I suppose), so admittedly the intensity is high, but I have cut back on that. I typically omit any incline increase when training as well as run at slower speeds when I'm doing the sprint portions.

I bought Nike trainers as well as some good Aasics running shoes. I'm trying to watch my form so that my stride is correct and I land mid foot when appropriate. I even took a break for a few weeks to let the knee rest, but it came back immediately when I started running again. It's demoralizing to have this happen when I'm doing well with my fitness goals otherwise.

Strengthening your core muscles will go a long way. I used this program and it has helped me immensely:http://www.coachjayjohnson.com/2011/11/eight-week-general-strength-progression/

Interval running might also be a good idea. Start off with a five minute walk, then run for a minute, walk for another minute, then repeat for thirty minutes, then cooldown walk. You can gradually increase the running time to something like three minutes run, 1-1.5 minute walk.

Man, my knee feels better so I started running again on monday (interval running anyway) and I feel a thousand times better in the day, and the running is much easier than it was at the start, although I'm pacing myself in case my knee goes funny again. Also going to a rest day every fourth day.

KeRaSh

So I'm thinking about buying the upcoming Garmin Forerunner 235 and saw that you can download and schedule training plans directly to the watch.

Let's say one training day includes interval training. Does the watch tell me when to start and stop each step of the training or do I have to keep track of the time myself?

Obviously the watch isn't out yet but if it's possible I'm guessing the older model would already support it.

So I'm thinking about buying the upcoming Garmin Forerunner 235 and saw that you can download and schedule training plans directly to the watch.

Let's say one training day includes interval training. Does the watch tell me when to start and stop each step of the training or do I have to keep track of the time myself?

Obviously the watch isn't out yet but if it's possible I'm guessing the older model would already support it.

the past few generations of garmins u could do that. u control everything from the recovery to the intervals and the watch will tell u where u are in the workout.

KeRaSh

the past few generations of garmins u could do that. u control everything from the recovery to the intervals and the watch will tell u where u are in the workout.

Fantastic. Thanks for the info. I skipped through the Forerunner 225 review on dcrainmaker.com but couldn't find anything about it. I'll go through it more thoroughly when I have a little more time.

Zoe

Anybody ever try out cryotherapy for recovery? Kind of tempted since I have two races within two weeks.

Zoe

Well, I didn't do any prep for rain because the forecast said it would be all clear. So of course it started raining on the drive over.

Luckily it stopped pretty much as soon as the gun went off. Unfortunately there was a lot of water getting kicked around at the start, so I ran 10 miles with wet shoes. Got a few blisters now :(

Goodlife

Did my first event today, a 10k.
Despite reading everywhere not to get too carried away and go off too hard at the start, I got carried away and went off too hard at the start, so spent the rest of the race trying to recover from that.

Still, I knocked 2 mins off my pb, finishing at 51.23

Fistwell

Got a few blisters now :(
Ouch. How did it go besides the blister?

Despite reading everywhere not to get too carried away and go off too hard at the start, I got carried away and went off too hard at the start, so spent the rest of the race trying to recover from that.

Ahaha! Happens a lot. ;p
Grats on the PR!

Zoe

Ouch. How did it go besides the blister?

Beat last year's time by 1:42! I wanted to do better, but it's not like I really deserved to considering the bf and I have not done a single long run this entire season.

It really helps training with a group the meets basically in the middle of the (very hilly) neighborhood that all the big races run through.

Soodanim

I was browsing the Google Play app store the other week and saw some couch to 5k apps, and I think I'd like to get into running. I've read the OP, and it says that barefoot style trainers aren't for beginners. Would it not be a good idea to get myself into good habits from day 1? I'm not sure I want to buy some Free 5.0s on day one though, even with my work discount that's £70 on something I've never done before.

Beat last year's time by 1:42! I wanted to do better, but it's not like I really deserved to considering the bf and I have not done a single long run this entire season.

It really helps training with a group the meets basically in the middle of the (very hilly) neighborhood that all the big races run through.
What was the race?

I was browsing the Google Play app store the other week and saw some couch to 5k apps, and I think I'd like to get into running. I've read the OP, and it says that barefoot style trainers aren't for beginners. Would it not be a good idea to get myself into good habits from day 1? I'm not sure I want to buy some Free 5.0s on day one though, even with my work discount that's £70 on something I've never done before.
Not on day 1. I have been running for 25 yrs and switched to minimalist shoes about 4 yrs ago and almost wrecked myself. YMMV of course.

What's a good time for a first 5K? My first one is next Sunday. I ran 3.25 miles in around 35 minutes yesterday and 10 of those were a warmup walk, so I'm probably gonna aim for like 30-35 minutes of straight running? Is that respectable? I have no metric for this, I'm halfway through 10K training but I want to say I've done an official "event" before then.

xenist

Well, I didn't do any prep for rain because the forecast said it would be all clear. So of course it started raining on the drive over.

Luckily it stopped pretty much as soon as the gun went off. Unfortunately there was a lot of water getting kicked around at the start, so I ran 10 miles with wet shoes. Got a few blisters now :(

Yeah, you got lucky. I did my the first 14K of my last half marathon in pouring rain.

And damn, the extra distance from passing slower runners really adds up if you're not careful. My GPS measured nearly two extra km.

Zoe

And damn, the extra distance from passing slower runners really adds up if you're not careful. My GPS measured nearly two extra km.

Yeah, I was pretty happy with my pace until the mile markers started to get farther and farther away from Runkeeper.

Linius

Nice, good job.

And after making this mistake it probably won't happen again anytime soon. Now you know what it's like to recover from a fast start.

Ran my annual post Halloween 5K. Time wasn't PR because I had to take a month off due to being sick. Looks like weather is starting to cool down here even in Dallas. Any running pant/tight suggestions for sub 40 running?

Ran my annual post Halloween 5K. Time wasn't PR because I had to take a month off due to being sick. Looks like weather is starting to cool down here even in Dallas. Any running pant/tight suggestions for sub 40 running?

First, way to keep up your motivation. That's awesome! Anyways, if you want to do a sub 40 5k, I would suggest incorporating speed workouts into your regimen. Things like fartleks, intervals, hills, etc. They'll help build your muscle and in turn improve your time/pacing. You more than likely won't see the results right way, but just keep consistent with them and you should start seeing them!

Zoe

First, way to keep up your motivation. That's awesome! Anyways, if you want to do a sub 40 5k, I would suggest incorporating speed workouts into your regimen. Things like fartleks, intervals, hills, etc. They'll help build your muscle and in turn improve your time/pacing. You more than likely won't see the results right way, but just keep consistent with them and you should start seeing them!

He's talking about sub-40 degrees :lol

I just bought the Champion leggings from Target last year, and the bf seems to be okay with them.

I've been mainly cycling for over 2 years now as my main form of exercise but I've been looking at something else to do during the winter because I tend to spend as much time cleaning and maintaining my road bike as much as I do riding it. As such, I decided to start running only very recently. I went to a local sports store that also happens to be tied to my gym and picked up a pair of running shoes. The guy there had me run for a little while on a treadmill and recommended my some some shoes which I ended up with.

The problem is, my legs are fucked and I don't know if it's normal. By "fucked" I mean its a pain in the ass to just walk for at least 24 hours after I run barely 3 miles (at a pretty slow pace, I might add). It basically feels like someone came along and took an inch off the tendons at the top of my calves, even though I spend plenty of time stretching both before and after a run. I'm finding it pretty frustrating, to be honest, and I just want to know if this sort of thing is normal, if it's the shoes, or if there's just something I don't know.

TLDR: Started running 3 miles-ish at a time, walking is a pain afterwards. Pretty extreme tightness in the back of my calves (not behind the knee's or hamstring) despite stretching. Is this normal, a problem with the shoes or something else I'm missing.

xenist

I've been mainly cycling for over 2 years now as my main form of exercise but I've been looking at something else to do during the winter because I tend to spend as much time cleaning and maintaining my road bike as much as I do riding it. As such, I decided to start running only very recently. I went to a local sports store that also happens to be tied to my gym and picked up a pair of running shoes. The guy there had me run for a little while on a treadmill and recommended my some some shoes which I ended up with.

The problem is, my legs are fucked and I don't know if it's normal. By "fucked" I mean its a pain in the ass to just walk for at least 24 hours after I run barely 3 miles (at a pretty slow pace, I might add). It basically feels like someone came along and took an inch off the tendons at the top of my calves, even though I spend plenty of time stretching both before and after a run. I'm finding it pretty frustrating, to be honest, and I just want to know if this sort of thing is normal, if it's the shoes, or if there's just something I don't know.

TLDR: Started running 3 miles-ish at a time, walking is a pain afterwards. Pretty extreme tightness in the back of my calves (not behind the knee's or hamstring) despite stretching. Is this normal, a problem with the shoes or something else I'm missing.

My legs used to hurt like hell when I started running. I'm talking "Oh my god something is wrong!" kind of pain. It got better and better until it went away altogether. Running really puts a strain on your body so you have be patient and allow it time to adjust.

Stop stretching. Stretching is pretty much a placebo. Just take a fast walk before your run and another walk after.

Shorten your stride. See a few tutorials about proper running form. It's actually pretty simple to achieve.

And above all run slow. 2/3 of the distance you run should be at a pace that allows you to easily keep a conversation going.

Ugh. With my first half marathon coming up on Sunday, I've been in my taper period for the past week and a half. Not going to lie, but keeping my mileage and intensity down has been a lot harder than I originally anticipated.

Part of me really wants to go all out during practice but I know that I shouldn't and need to recover my glycogen levels. Needless to say, it's been an interesting experience so far :X.

Top Bottom