• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Huh. That's sort of bizarre. I'll be curious to see how it's supposed to work.

Yeah I wish they would publish in English too so I could share some info. It's not a new thing by the way, they've been training people for some time now with this schedule. So there are already lots of success stories of people who ran their marathon.

The google translate of this page is pretty decent:

https://www.sportrusten.nl/marathonrevolutie-blog/de-marathonrevolutie-en-koen-in-zn-blootje/

It sounds like the plan is specifically formulated for slow runners who wouldn't otherwise complete a marathon. The thinking is consistent with modern training thought, distance shouldn't be an absolute, instead time running is a better gauge of relative effort and of what the body can recover from.

I haven't seen any plan that advocates less than 2 hour long runs however. This plan seems pretty extreme.

Linius

Their main thing is that you train more on race pace, but make less kilometers. Your body will be able to recover better as well from those relatively short runs.

The part about slow runners is a small bit of research they did. They simply compared the amount of participating in the Berlin marathon in 1985 and 2014. They found out that nowadays a lot more people participate. But we've also gotten slower. Probably because running got much more accepted and easier to get into these days. So obviously the number of contestants in those events will rise. Back in the day running was more for those who were very into it. Now you have a lot more casual runners.

Pollux

I just want to bitch real fast - I used to run quite a bit - but that was about 6 years ago. Around 5 years ago I partially tore my Achilles, didn't need surgery, stopped running, and never rehabbed it. Put on about 45 lbs. and got lazy as shit. I'm now 5'9 200 lbs.

Today I went to run for the first time in about 18 months - got about a mile - and I felt like I was fucking dying. Holy shit, I don't remember it being this hard.

It's almost 45 minutes later and my lungs are still exhausted/sore.

God damn, this first part of getting back in shape can't get over soon enough.

Their main thing is that you train more on race pace, but make less kilometers. Your body will be able to recover better as well from those relatively short runs.

The part about slow runners is a small bit of research they did. They simply compared the amount of participating in the Berlin marathon in 1985 and 2014. They found out that nowadays a lot more people participate. But we've also gotten slower. Probably because running got much more accepted and easier to get into these days. So obviously the number of contestants in those events will rise. Back in the day running was more for those who were very into it. Now you have a lot more casual runners.

Right, so the plan is more targeted towards the shift in who is running marathons these days.

I don't really buy the race pace thing. For slower runners, the difference between workout pace and race pace is very small. For faster runners, there's simply no way that a weekly max of less than 50k is going to cut it.

deadlast

I tried the zombie app a couple of times but kinda got bored. Really poor voice acting didn't help.

I've just imported a pair of JLab Epic Bluetooth earphones and they come with a free 6 month sub to Rock My Run. Checked it out last night and the playlists sound great. Some of the mixes increase in BPM as the mix plays and there's an option to adjust BPM based on your running speed similar to Spotify introduced.

I've got a 10k race on Sunday so looking forward to giving the app a go then.
The zombie app is ok. I think it would be great for motivating people who are just starting out running. One issue I had with the app is you never really know how far you're going or how far you have gone. All the events are time-based. Plus the screen goes to sleep during your run which is annoying.
On the plus side, the app does make you run faster when approaching zombies. This needs to be tied to a Facebook game and that would make it better.
Lastly the voice acting is pretty bad.

It seems like it's a big thing at the moment but I just can't face running with music.

I find the music sods up my pace completely. Saying that I am a big advocate of not really doing specific paces and just running how your body wants to run, it'll tell me when to go fast/slow/tootle.

Also i'm a terrible advert for a runner with my battered trainers (1500 miles and counting) and nothing special outside of lycra trousers and a headband. What are people's thoughts on kit? I always think if you can run in shite you can run in anything.

Anyway training now for a 50km/31 mile run end of March having just done my first race half-marathon a fortnight ago. Stretching out the long runs and getting the miles in mid-week is going to be tricky.

Going for a 14 mile on Sunday (I have a 10 mile loop which I'll pick up the extra 4 on), should be fun!

iosa

I just want to bitch real fast - I used to run quite a bit - but that was about 6 years ago. Around 5 years ago I partially tore my Achilles, didn't need surgery, stopped running, and never rehabbed it. Put on about 45 lbs. and got lazy as shit. I'm now 5'9 200 lbs.

Today I went to run for the first time in about 18 months - got about a mile - and I felt like I was fucking dying. Holy shit, I don't remember it being this hard.

I feel you. I was lazy my whole life and wanted to drop weight (I was 5'7 242lbs) so I started running in July and It was tough. I couln't even walk at 4mph.

Since then I ran ~15k/week improving each week and now I can run a 5k under 30 minutes. I did a 6k in 33:45 yesterday and I'm about to pass under 200lbs so I'm feeling pretty good.

NoWayOut

I feel you. I was lazy my whole life and wanted to drop weight (I was 5'7 242lbs) so I started running in July and It was tough. I couln't even walk at 4mph.

Since then I ran ~15k/week improving each week and now I can run a 5k under 30 minutes. I did a 6k in 33:45 yesterday and I'm about to pass under 200lbs so I'm feeling pretty good.

I was 6'1 205lbs when I started running last May. I started with a 8 weeks program to go from nothing to 30 minutes. It was hard at first and I remember I felt like dying when I was doing 4 minutes interval training. Now I can do 10k no problem and I am targeting half marathon for next spring. Today, 5 months later I am 175lbs and I can run 12K in 58 minutes. Keep at it and you will see the results :)

littledipster

Neo Member
I have my first marathon on Sunday... and I'm terrified. I feel like I haven't trained properly and really don't know what to expect. Does anyone have any tips for a first-time marathoner? I've only done 2 half marathons before as official races but my long distance runs since then have been few and far between but I average 50-60 mpw and was at 70 a couple weeks ago.

It seems like it's a big thing at the moment but I just can't face running with music.

I find the music sods up my pace completely. Saying that I am a big advocate of not really doing specific paces and just running how your body wants to run, it'll tell me when to go fast/slow/tootle.

Also i'm a terrible advert for a runner with my battered trainers (1500 miles and counting) and nothing special outside of lycra trousers and a headband. What are people's thoughts on kit? I always think if you can run in shite you can run in anything.

Anyway training now for a 50km/31 mile run end of March having just done my first race half-marathon a fortnight ago. Stretching out the long runs and getting the miles in mid-week is going to be tricky.

Going for a 14 mile on Sunday (I have a 10 mile loop which I'll pick up the extra 4 on), should be fun!

Right there with you on practically all accounts! I tried running with music a long time ago but, like you mention, it totally messed up my pacing. As for what I run with, all I need are shoes and shorts and I'm ready to go. Hell, the shorts I run in are old hand-me-downs from my old college XC team when they switched sponsors, lol.

I have my first marathon on Sunday... and I'm terrified. I feel like I haven't trained properly and really don't know what to expect. Does anyone have any tips for a first-time marathoner? I've only done 2 half marathons before as official races but my long distance runs since then have been few and far between but I average 50-60 mpw and was at 70 a couple weeks ago.

Are you planning on racing or do you just want to finish? Considering your mileage, I'm assuming you'd like to race...in that case, be honest about your training -- are you just nervous and feel like you're undertrained or have you really been slacking on the training? If it's the former, I wouldn't be too worried. If it's the latter, I'd definitely recommend making sure that you take the first few miles very conservatively.

I've never done a legit marathon, but when I was averaging 80mpw I was able to do the occasional 17-18miler without any problems even though I didn't usually do single runs over 12-13. Did 22 once with a friend and it wasn't a problem either. You've just gotta be ready to go mentally.

Zoe

There's a 5K time trial with my running group this evening, but there's some concern about smoke in the area due to nearby wildfires... would you guys still run in conditions like that?

Your weekly mileage suggests that you should be ready! Relax and rest up. Being nervous and feeling underprepared is a part of every marathon I've run.

It's been said a million times but it can't be stressed enough, take it out slow. If you feel like you're working anywhere before mile 16, back off a bit.

The best piece of advice I received before my first was simply: have fun! It's your first, you're probably not going to light up the time sheets. Relax, enjoy the experience and run comfortably. Don't make it a negative experience for yourself by pushing too hard too early. Finish strong and you'll want to do it again!

littledipster

Neo Member
Are you planning on racing or do you just want to finish? Considering your mileage, I'm assuming you'd like to race...in that case, be honest about your training -- are you just nervous and feel like you're undertrained or have you really been slacking on the training? If it's the former, I wouldn't be too worried. If it's the latter, I'd definitely recommend making sure that you take the first few miles very conservatively.

I've never done a legit marathon, but when I was averaging 80mpw I was able to do the occasional 17-18miler without any problems even though I didn't usually do single runs over 12-13. Did 22 once with a friend and it wasn't a problem either. You've just gotta be ready to go mentally.

I have been slacking on my training (no excuse for it, but I attribute it to moving and recently getting a new job instead of being a full-time student) but I feel like I'm similar to you in terms of being able to randomly run a long distance and feeling fine. The slacking in my training has been very few long runs since my half marathon in May, but I have a pretty good half marathon time (I realize it doesn't matter much for the full, but I got a 1:23:40 which does make me feel better about my prospects) and I ran 26.2 miles as practice about a year ago when I was in probably the same or slightly worse shape and ran it in about 3:20. I just keep reading discussion board posts where people say "Oh I haven't done many long runs" and basically every response is "drop out, you aren't going to finish and you're going to get injured", which isn't helping me feel much better

TheGrue

The very first official race I ever did was a marathon. So, imagine never having seen the corral stuff and the lines for bathrooms and all that stuff. Not to mention, I barely slept the night before. My thoughts going in were to just focus on making the half marathon distance and at the very worst, I could walk the rest of the way and still finish the thing. It all ewnt great and yours will, too. Just remember you've got some race experience and so a marathon is just some extra distance.

I have two questions for running-gaf.

1. I work on my feet usually 7 hours a day and am fairly active while doing so. Sometimes I have the energy to run in the evening before bed but I don't want to over-exert myself. Anyone else have similar experience and guidance?

2. I have a pair of Asics running shoes that are getting really old. I would love to buy a new pair of the same type of shoe because I had my gait analyzed in a store by running on a treadmill. How can I tell what 'model' shoe it is and what the current equivalent is and what are some of the cheaper places to purchase them?

Thanks to anyone who can provide insight :)

KeRaSh

Oh sweet! I didn't know this thread existed! I started running in August and I'm quite addicted to it by now.

Currently I'm running 50-65 km/month. Now that I've built up some stamina my route is about 5.7 km long with some decent elevation every now and then.

Lost about 10 kg just by running regularly (now at 76ish kg) and I'm completely in love with the sport.

My current struggle is the change in weather. I don't mind running in the rain. I actually really like it but cold temperature is a bitch. I don't know what to wear to stay warm enough but not too warm. Any tips for a newcomer?

Fistwell

I have two questions for running-gaf.

1. I work on my feet usually 7 hours a day and am fairly active while doing so. Sometimes I have the energy to run in the evening before bed but I don't want to over-exert myself. Anyone else have similar experience and guidance?

2. I have a pair of Asics running shoes that are getting really old. I would love to buy a new pair of the same type of shoe because I had my gait analyzed in a store by running on a treadmill. How can I tell what 'model' shoe it is and what the current equivalent is and what are some of the cheaper places to purchase them?

Thanks to anyone who can provide insight :)
1. It's a tricky question a lot of runners struggle with. You need to stress your body to trigger adaptation, yet give it enough rest to allow adaptation to occur (through recovery). There's no universal answer (beyond the obvious: get enough sleep/rest, eat/fuel up correctly), it's up to all of us to find the right balance. There are signs that'll tell you if you do too much, nagging pains not going away, elevated resting heartbeat, etc. But it's not easy finding that balance imo.

2. That's easier; lace them up, take a jog around the store or around the block if they let you. If they feel comfy, chances are the shoes are right for you. That's what recent research tends to show anyways, comfort is supposed to be a good indicator of whether or not a pair of shoes is right for you.

Keio

For a Finer World
Right now reading this thread is painful because I want to get back to running. I'm running the Paris marathon next year - if I can fix this problem:

My heel of the left foot (front part) becomes very painful after a run (I feel it a bit while running but maybe 30 min after stopping it's hard to walk) and lasts for two days or so. After finishing a 10 mile race at a decent pace I was in crazy pain when I got up the next night to get a glass of water.

My doctor was stumped and just wondered if it will go away, but it's been 3 months and I already switched shoes too...

Right now reading this thread is painful because I want to get back to running. I'm running the Paris marathon next year - if I can fix this problem:

My heel of the left foot (front part) becomes very painful after a run (I feel it a bit while running but maybe 30 min after stopping it's hard to walk) and lasts for two days or so. After finishing a 10 mile race at a decent pace I was in crazy pain when I got up the next night to get a glass of water.

My doctor was stumped and just wondered if it will go away, but it's been 3 months and I already switched shoes too...

Stretch those calves. Do eccentric heel lifts. It sounds similar to something i had a few years ago.

You're achilles is tightening and pulling all the way down your foot. If you stretch it out and build up the strength it will go away. Takes a few months.

Linius

The day of my first half marathon is almost there. Had two runs this past month, a 5k two weeks ago and 12km today. So yeah, not ideal haha. I did manage a comfortable 5:16 minute/km pace today. So I'm confident I'll be fine on sunday. Hopefully I can gun for around 5 minute/km. But most of all I'm just gonna enjoy running the event.

Goodlife

Anyone got any training advice for a 10k event?

Got 2 weeks left before I do my first one, want to try and use this time to train to get my best possible pace.

I'm doing around 20/25km per week at the moment, usually 1 10k and a few 5k's.
Is that a good mix, or should I be trying for longer distances?

And how hard should I be pushing myself on these training runs? My mindset is currently always looking to beat my pb's, but guess I shouldn't always be running like that?

Fistwell

Anyone got any training advice for a 10k event?

Got 2 weeks left before I do my first one, want to try and use this time to train to get my best possible pace.

I'm doing around 20/25km per week at the moment, usually 1 10k and a few 5k's.
Is that a good mix, or should I be trying for longer distances?

And how hard should I be pushing myself on these training runs? My mindset is currently always looking to beat my pb's, but guess I shouldn't always be running like that?
I'd mix it up a bit more, would do some speed work on a track (30/30s, 400 and maybe mile repeats), and add a weekly long-slow run. Running your 10Ks to beat your PR might tire you more than necessary. Maybe include a few portions at target race pace with the rest slow and easy (2K slow, 2K fast, etc). That way you get your body used to running at that pace but avoid working it too hard. If you only have 2 weeks left, you're probably better off not over exerting yourself. Good luck!

Linius

Cheers guys!

hS7b.png

Results are online now :D

My cousin did it in 1:34:00, beat his PR by 6 minutes
h8xug2P.png

Zamorro

Ran my first full marathon today in 3:35 (at the age of 45). I was going for 3:30, but I am just happy that I finished this time without any injuries.

When I ran my first half marathon last month in Pijnacker (in 1.41) I got a pretty bad case of hip pain with 5 kilometers to go, so I was afraid that would happen again. I have been stretching my IT band for the last month religiously though, so that didn't turn out to be a problem.

And congrats to everyone else who ran today!

Goodlife

I'd mix it up a bit more, would do some speed work on a track (30/30s, 400 and maybe mile repeats), and add a weekly long-slow run. Running your 10Ks to beat your PR might tire you more than necessary. Maybe include a few portions at target race pace with the rest slow and easy (2K slow, 2K fast, etc). That way you get your body used to running at that pace but avoid working it too hard. If you only have 2 weeks left, you're probably better off not over exerting yourself. Good luck!
Thank you very much for the reply.
I must admit I've no idea what "30/30s, 400 and mile repeats" are (pretty new to this whole running thing) but I'll have a Google.
Thanks again :)

Linius

Ran my first full marathon today in 3:35 (at the age of 45). I was going for 3:30, but I am just happy that I finished this time without any injuries.

When I ran my first half marathon last month in Pijnacker (in 1.41) I got a pretty bad case of hip pain with 5 kilometers to go, so I was afraid that would happen again. I have been stretching my IT band for the last month religiously though, so that didn't turn out to be a problem.

And congrats to everyone else who ran today!

In Pijnacker of all places :p

Good job on the marathon.

Fistwell

Thank you very much for the reply.
I must admit I've no idea what "30/30s, 400 and mile repeats" are (pretty new to this whole running thing) but I'll have a Google.
Thanks again :)
Just typical interval training stuff, alternating slow and fast, going either by time (30s fast, 30s slow), or distance (200m fast, recovery, another 200m, etc). You can find tables online giving you appropriate pace for different intervals depending on your target pace on race day, see here for example (specify current and goal times, select the training paces tab on the left).

Goodlife

Just typical interval training stuff, alternating slow and fast, going either by time (30s fast, 30s slow), or distance (200m fast, recovery, another 200m, etc). You can find tables online giving you appropriate pace for different intervals depending on your target pace on race day, see here for example (specify current and goal times, select the training paces tab on the left).
Thank you loads

ATF487

Did a 5.6m trail run in 48:35 today. It was a lot of fun, but took me awhile to warm up (temps were hovering around freezing when we started.) Kind of disappointed with that time though, I fell away for about a mile before finishing decently

Also played a soccer game after and now I feel like never leaving this couch

max_505

So, I'm planning to buy a Garmin FR 620 on Amazon but I don't know how the warranty works if I'm from another country. If the watch doesn't work properly, will they still honor the warranty even if I'm not in the U.S.? I live in the Philippines. There's a local Garmin store here but they sell the 620 there for $500 instead of $345 on Amazon.

Looking to replace my phone as my GPS tracker since it crashes around 30% of the time, but I don't want to spend a couple hundred $ on a watch if the warranty won't be honored.

Linius

Badass! Nice work.

Thanks!

Good news: just ran a local 10k this morning and PR'd at 51:16. Bad news: I got beat by a guy pushing a stroller...

Good job on the PR man. Don't get distracted by other people running by you. I had some oldtimers ran past me during the half marathon too, just run your own race. My cousin who started a couple of minutes later than me went by me at the 5km mark already. I told him I'd try to run with him for a bit but after 100 meters I knew that wouldn't be smart :lol

Gonna do the Ajax Run this sunday, a 10km. If I feel good I might give beating my PR a go. I ran my PR at the same event last year, 47:54 iirc.

Also, anyone ever did Wings for Life? I'm thinking about signing up for next year. Seems like a fun concept.

Linius

Oh man, that's the worst :lol

Last year I had some dude running in front of me and stopping once in a while to take some pictures. And then he'd catch up with me again. Meanwhile I was giving it all :p

Zamorro

What struck me about running my first marathon was that so many people breathe like pack horses. I mean, some people I could hear approaching from 5 meters behind me just by the sound of their breathing.

That just shows the level of willpower that some people have, that they can run an entire marathon at close to maximum heart rate level. I know that I probably couldn't do that. I just checked my heart rates and I never went above 172 beats per minute, with an average of 163bpm.

Is it normal to have to shit after hitting the treadmill or am I doing something way wrong? I think this is the second time within a week I think that I've had to race back home from the gym with butt cheeks practically clenched.

Is it normal to have to shit after hitting the treadmill or am I doing something way wrong? I think this is the second time within a week I think that I've had to race back home from the gym with butt cheeks practically clenched.

No, that's pretty normal. Running makes your stomach act up. I mean literally ten mins before my 10k I had to cut my warm up short and shard....horribly.

No, that's pretty normal. Running makes your stomach act up. I mean literally ten mins before my 10k I had to cut my warm up short and shard....horribly.
Jesus Christ. I'm not even as hardcore as everybody in this thread...at least it's normal. I took a break from the treadmill for a bit cause my sneakers were getting way old and running was starting to kill my shins and I couldn't run as long. Got a new pair and I'm back on it pretty regularly now. I honestly thought I was getting older but I've been improving again. I missed my treadmill runs, they're quite relaxing. I just can't believe you guys can hit the distances listed.

Jesus Christ. I'm not even as hardcore as everybody in this thread...at least it's normal. I took a break from the treadmill for a bit cause my sneakers were getting way old and running was starting to kill my shins and I couldn't run as long. Got a new pair and I'm back on it pretty regularly now. I honestly thought I was getting older but I've been improving again. I missed my treadmill runs, they're quite relaxing. I just can't believe you guys can hit the distances listed.

I know what you mean haha. Earlier this year, I thought anyone who did half marathons or up were crazy. Especially since I was barely able to hit under thirty for a 5k and couldn't even picture myself doing a 10k recovering off my prior injury. Now I consider ten miles pretty easy >>.....

I know what you mean haha. Earlier this year, I thought anyone who did half marathons or up were crazy. Especially since I was barely able to hit under thirty for a 5k and couldn't even picture myself doing a 10k recovering off my prior injury. Now I consider ten miles pretty easy >>.....
I struggle with hitting 2.5 miles on a treadmill. I can do two in under 19 minutes but damn. I've never street ran before, I'm convinced they'd have to rebuild my shins afterwards. I also think a lot of what my problem is is that I pace myself terribly.

Fistwell

I've never street ran before, I'm convinced they'd have to rebuild my shins afterwards.
If you live close to the countryside you can probably find trails that'll be easier on your legs than asphalt. Tartan tracks are also a decent option. The beach is pretty great too.

Top Bottom