• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Eh, I've ran lots of 25 to 28Ks without food or water and been fine. It changes a lot between different people, I think we all have a limit beyond which we need stuff, but that limit can obviously be longer or shorter.

Edit: with the topic being active for once, I figured I'd ask about running podcasts. Anybody know any good ones? Cause I sure dont. Been listening to the first cple ones from Sage Canaday, and it's been hit and miss. Interesting to hear him talk about his recent setbacks though, gets into talk of overtraining; which is always interesting to me.

I'm afraid my podcast-fu is not up to par, but I'm sure the fine folks of RunGAF will have plenty of recommendations.

got my ticket to the big show! crazy journey since my first marathon was a 3:50. i would of said u were nuts that i'd have a 2:58 PR 2 years later.

http://i.imgur.com/3UahDPK.jpg

That's some nice work you put in there, awesome improvement!

Eh, I've ran lots of 25 to 28Ks without food or water and been fine. It changes a lot between different people, I think we all have a limit beyond which we need stuff, but that limit can obviously be longer or shorter.

Edit: with the topic being active for once, I figured I'd ask about running podcasts. Anybody know any good ones? Cause I sure dont. Been listening to the first cple ones from Sage Canaday, and it's been hit and miss. Interesting to hear him talk about his recent setbacks though, gets into talk of overtraining; which is always interesting to me.

I'm particularly fond of the Runner's World Magazine podcasts. They have 2. One focuses on weekly events with some interviews sprinkled in about a variety of topics. The other is more of long-form stories similar to this American life, but running related. Both are great.

http://www.runnersworld.com/audio

got my ticket to the big show! crazy journey since my first marathon was a 3:50. i would of said u were nuts that i'd have a 2:58 PR 2 years later.

3UahDPK.jpg

Badass dude. Congrats! I hopefully will post this same image in about 2 years time.

Fistwell

I'm particularly fond of the Runner's World Magazine podcasts. They have 2. One focuses on weekly events with some interviews sprinkled in about a variety of topics. The other is more of long-form stories similar to this American life, but running related. Both are great.

http://www.runnersworld.com/audio
Sweet, thx!

Someone from my running club recommended this podcast to us...more 'running-themed' and inspirational than about running per se. It might be a little preachy for GAFs taste, but I'll let all y'all decide for yourselves. =)
Nice, keep em coming! :D

Someone from my running club recommended this podcast to us...more 'running-themed' and inspirational than about running per se. It might be a little preachy for GAFs taste, but I'll let all y'all decide for yourselves. =)

http://www.onbeing.org/tags/creating-our-own-lives

3UahDPK.jpg
Congrats! =)

Been listening to the podcast too. Very interesting stuff about training, overtraining etc..

Hope that they find their groove and keep at it.

littledipster

Neo Member
Oh snap, son! Nice work! On what weekly mileage did you run that?

Thanks! I think I was running about 50-60 mpw and peaked at about 70. I'm going to have to get ready for some long winter runs to get ready for Boston, which is going to be a change of pace for me (hopefully there isn't too much snow this year)!

3UahDPK.jpg

Congrats!! That's a huge improvement and that's awesome! I booked a hotel this morning for the marathon... if you haven't started looking just be prepared, it's SUPER expensive :(

Congrats!! That's a huge improvement and that's awesome! I booked a hotel this morning for the marathon... if you haven't started looking just be prepared, it's SUPER expensive :(

i go down to Boston time to time from NYC to run with friends who work at the Nike Run Club there. thankfully don't have to find a place to stay. i've actually run the course on the sidewalk twice. don't think its as bad as NYC marathon imo.

Good rest, and a light breakfast made all the difference.

Did my three laps up this hill as I was supposed to and made my 9 miles for "last week".
Not massively fast 1:32:18 / 10.11 a mile, but it felt all great - whereas I pretty much collapsed yesterday... going to try to not party this week for the 10 mile on Sunday...

When I was training for my last half-marathon in Feb, my 9 mile was 11:04 per mile!
Actually feels pretty encouraging to see improvement in about half a year - even with a few months out because of injuries.

But just so glad I could make it today - phew!

Linius

Great news Rippel! I remember you being bummed out not making it before.

As for me, I don't train at all anymore these days. My previous two runs were a 7k event on june 12th and a 10K on july 10th. And yesterday I did a 16.1K (10 miles) run in Amsterdam. Was completely done when I finished, still having heavy legs today.

And well, this sunday I'll be running that half marathon in Disneyland Paris, so that's gonna be something
JzKGOjM.png

For reference, it was my third time participating in that run pictured above. Last year I did it in 1:18:47 :p

Paganmoon

Great run!

Did a similar distance about 3 weeks back. Did 42.2k on 5:32/km

Does anyone know how to make a screenshot or link to strava off an activity?

I hate to tell what i did here without the proof.

Much better pace than me, gj! :D

I only did a print screen, cropped in paint, then hosted on picpar. You could just as easily post a link of the activity I guess, like this?

Snipping tool is built in to Windows (from 7 and up iirc?).

Edit: I guess I could go on-topic as well:

I did a "15km" race back in late August (really, 16km since they'd added an extra km at the end "for fun"), with obstacles (35 in total, ranging from crawling under nets, swimming, rope climbing, running up a 6meter ramp etc.). Anyway, I hit my right knee a few times during the race, and had a pretty nasty pain in my right knee, just under the kneecap, for the last 3-4km, being unable to keep any pace, or even run at times.
A few days pass and the pain stops, I can walk, climb stairs and so on. but I cannot run, after about 10-12 minutes and around 2km, the pain starts and I have to stop. I can walk just fine, and I can do other exercises (even after the pain starts), without any real issue, but running seems to be the real problem.
Went to the doctors today, and he couldn't find anything he said, since the pain isn't constant, and he couldn't induce any pain when stretching and bending my leg, and thought it might be a contusion. So, my question after this overly long explanation is as follows:
Any tips on what to do to alleviate this? Should I just not run for a month? I've got another race coming up on the 19:th of November, it's a shorter one than the last luckily, but I don't want to be too unprepared for it still.

Fistwell

Any tips on what to do to alleviate this? Should I just not run for a month? I've got another race coming up on the 19:th of November, it's a shorter one than the last luckily, but I don't want to be too unprepared for it still.
I'd get another doctor's opinion, or go see a physio.

Circumstancial, but it's acting exactly like the tendinitis I had last winter. I'd be fine, but it would show up in the 3rd km without fail. Except, mine was right above the kneecap (quadricipial). Took a lot of rest for me to get over it. Reduced the running load to zero and built back (easy pace) mileage over a cple months.

Best of luck, being hurt sucks.

Snipping tool is built in to Windows (from 7 and up iirc?).

Edit: I guess I could go on-topic as well:

I did a "15km" race back in late August (really, 16km since they'd added an extra km at the end "for fun"), with obstacles (35 in total, ranging from crawling under nets, swimming, rope climbing, running up a 6meter ramp etc.). Anyway, I hit my right knee a few times during the race, and had a pretty nasty pain in my right knee, just under the kneecap, for the last 3-4km, being unable to keep any pace, or even run at times.
A few days pass and the pain stops, I can walk, climb stairs and so on. but I cannot run, after about 10-12 minutes and around 2km, the pain starts and I have to stop. I can walk just fine, and I can do other exercises (even after the pain starts), without any real issue, but running seems to be the real problem.
Went to the doctors today, and he couldn't find anything he said, since the pain isn't constant, and he couldn't induce any pain when stretching and bending my leg, and thought it might be a contusion. So, my question after this overly long explanation is as follows:

Do you have a bike? I would recommend you start cycling and take a few days off. But cycle at a good intensity with a ratio of 4 cycling miles to every 1 mile you would have run.

mdsfx

Do you have a bike? I would recommend you start cycling and take a few days off. But cycle at a good intensity with a ratio of 4 cycling miles to every 1 mile you would have run.
Cycling was my saviour all last year through my injuries. I kept the cadence the same and my heart rate close (it was slightly lower than when I run) and going back to running was no problem.

Intervals went poorly. We were supposed to do 10 2 minutes running at 7'24" and 2 minutes slower. It was 93 w/ heat index of 104 at start. I made it about 6 -'d my body just shut down. I had to walk a solid mile, run walk another half mile, then finally jogged the set mile back at a 9'30" pace. Pretty disappointed. I've lost 3 lbs past 10 days but I clearly need to lose at least 10 more.

Edit: ugh my poor stomach hurts so bad.

Paganmoon

I'd get another doctor's opinion, or go see a physio.

Circumstancial, but it's acting exactly like the tendinitis I had last winter. I'd be fine, but it would show up in the 3rd km without fail. Except, mine was right above the kneecap (quadricipial). Took a lot of rest for me to get over it. Reduced the running load to zero and built back (easy pace) mileage over a cple months.

Best of luck, being hurt sucks.

Thanks for the tips. Going to see a physio tomorrow about the knee, and I'll try to find some good cycling routes as well.

Thanks for the tips. Going to see a physio tomorrow about the knee, and I'll try to find some good cycling routes as well.

http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-science/hip-weakness-and-knee-pain

https://runnersconnect.net/running-...gth-and-running-injuries-the-latest-research/

Maybe something to think about.

If you only have problems when running and not because of other medical issues then i would think about strengtening the hip and do regular excercises.

I'm not saying this would cure everything but it's definitely worth to try it.

Got my first half marathon this Saturday which should be fun since the weather is apparently going to be shit.

Got to 18km in training but its getting so dark here now super early and I just cant really do the long runs like I want.

Also got a few seconds off breaking 5k @ 25mins yesterday which is nice. Middle of the summer I couldn't do it in 30 without basically passing out afterwards. I should really do a ParkRun or something because I bet simply running with a group would get my a decent bit past 25.

Seanbob11

Well I just finished couch to 5k! Never thought I would be able to run 5k straight. Before starting on the 10k app though I'd like to be able to run the 5k faster. Currently I'm running at a steady 9kph. I'd like to at least be able to run at 10kph but I find it really difficult going up to that speed.

Also, are there specific stretches that I should be doing after a run. My calves in particular as very tight after a run.

Thanks running gaf :)

Well I just finished couch to 5k! Never thought I would be able to run 5k straight. Before starting on the 10k app though I'd like to be able to run the 5k faster. Currently I'm running at a steady 9kph. I'd like to at least be able to run at 10kph but I find it really difficult going up to that speed.

Also, are there specific stretches that I should be doing after a run. My calfs in particular as very tight after a run.

First: congrats on running the 5K!

To go from 5K to 10K it is not necessary to run a fast 5K. Just up your weekly mileage by 1 or 2k and you should be fine. You can always run a few strides(interval) while you train for the 10K.

As for stretches this pretty much sums it up:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/how-to-stretch-after-a-run.aspx

Feel free to correct me if i wrote mistakes

DagsJT

Also, are there specific stretches that I should be doing after a run. My calfs in particular as very tight after a run.

Well done!

I've had tight calves for years and only in the last year since I've been running have I been working to get them better. Heel drops off a step have been amazing for me.

KiKaL

Well looks like my season has come to a close and have to admit I am sad to not have something to currently be training for. I finished my final race last weekend which was the ultimate goal for the season. It was a 15+ mile obstacle course with 13,500ft of elevation change. I have done quite a few 15ks, halfs and even a full marathon but this was the first race I almost got overwhelmed with emotion when I saw the finish line. I litterally had to fight back tears. I have never been happier to know that the pain was finally going to end hah. It was on my 30th birthday so my goal was to finish high in my new age group and hopefully finish top 10 in the competitive heat. Heats consist of Elite, Competitive and Open. I was extremely happy to finish first in my age group and 16th in my heat. Overall I was around 50th among the 5000+ finishers.

It was a great season and I got to do a good amount of traveling. I raced in Indiana, Illinois, Ohio and Vermont. I got to do 3 15k Trail Races and 4 Obstacle course races ranging in distances.

Now it's time to take a week or two off...and then probably get back at it. I think this years goal will be to do an Ultra and two laps of the race I described above.

Good luck to those who still have races coming.

Well looks like my season has come to a close and have to admit I am sad to not have something to currently be training for. I finished my final race last weekend which was the ultimate goal for the season. It was a 15+ mile obstacle course with 13,500ft of elevation change. I have done quite a few 15ks, halfs and even a full marathon but this was the first race I almost got overwhelmed with emotion when I saw the finish line. I litterally had to fight back tears. I have never been happier to know that the pain was finally going to end hah. It was on my 30th birthday so my goal was to finish high in my new age group and hopefully finish top 10 in the competitive heat. Heats consist of Elite, Competitive and Open. I was extremely happy to finish first in my age group and 16th in my heat. Overall I was around 50th among the 5000+ finishers.

It was a great season and I got to do a good amount of traveling. I raced in Indiana, Illinois, Ohio and Vermont. I got to do 3 15k Trail Races and 4 Obstacle course races ranging in distances.

Now it's time to take a week or two off...and then probably get back at it. I think this years goal will be to do an Ultra and two laps of the race I described above.

Good luck to those who still have races coming.

Grats on finishing your season. To be honest this is something I am looking into once I graduate college this year and have more time in my bucket. I want to see a lot of places in the US. Why not use road races as an excuse. :)

pbsapeer

Banned
So I'm wondering if anyone has the same thing as me...
When I've finished a run (generally a run when I've really pushed myself) and I stop my heart rate slows right down and becomes more "powerful". Ignore aware of my heart beat and it feels more like a big, slow heart beat rather than a small, quick rate that you'd get with exercise. Anyone else get this?

Anyone happen to pick up the new Apple Watch series 2 yet? If so, any opinions?

I've been rocking a Garmin for a while now, but have realized that I really only use it for distance, pace, and calories burned. I run track workouts on occasion but am fine using manual laps. I also do not use run/walk intervals (or when I do, I am fine tracking them manually). I'm intrigued by the better integration with my phone during the day, even at the expense of battery life.

So, anyone have thoughts on the device?

pbsapeer

Banned
Anyone happen to pick up the new Apple Watch series 2 yet? If so, any opinions?

I've been rocking a Garmin for a while now, but have realized that I really only use it for distance, pace, and calories burned. I run track workouts on occasion but am fine using manual laps. I also do not use run/walk intervals (or when I do, I am fine tracking them manually). I'm intrigued by the better integration with my phone during the day, even at the expense of battery life.

So, anyone have thoughts on the device?
Yeah i picked one up last week. I used to have a Garmin forerunner 110 I think it was. Had a HR strap and was quite a good watch. Thing that it was awful with was finding a flipping satellite.
The Apple Watch is so fast. Literally press a button and off I go. With the Bluetooth and a pair of headphones you can even get music from the thing. Literally one of the best investments I've made (I hope!).
If you want more info give me a shout

Wb Shanks! Time to run! You should rly ditch Nike+ and join the rest of gaf on Strava though. ;D

Ouch, I would sugar-crash so bad. I guess different things work for different people.

I hope you all don't mind me joining the GAF Club on Strava. I am not a runner by any means but am ready to jump in and love comparing myself to others being that none of my friends log their runs.

Thanks GAF!

I finally convinced my parents to get (back) into running :). My father used to do sub-3h marathons so he knows what he's doing, but my mother is starting for the first time. I've recommended she follow this particular C25K. TheOnlyOneHeEverFeared, you followed a similar program, right? What's your experience with it?

I hope you all don't mind me joining the GAF Club on Strava. I am not a runner by any means but am ready to jump in and love comparing myself to others being that none of my friends log their runs.

Thanks GAF!

Absolutely not, the more the merrier!

W1D2 (4 miles) finished yesterday.

but the ball of my foot keep burning because of the friction. gonna try to tighten the show or see about getting a shoe that properly fits.

Today is just 3 miles.

the marathon training is going well. just trying to improve on my pacing.

W1D2 (4 miles) finished yesterday.

but the ball of my foot keep burning because of the friction. gonna try to tighten the show or see about getting a shoe that properly fits.

Today is just 3 miles.

the marathon training is going well. just trying to improve on my pacing.

Burning of the foot while runnning can be because your shoes are too small.

At least that can be one of the causes.

It can also be your socks.

Wait we have a club on a strava? Why the hell didn't I read the OP correctly? I'll join shortly.

I just finished a 65 minute easy run. Weather has been so nice the past few days. Did 8x hill repeats Tuesday and it was much easier. I really am feeling stronger. We have a race this weekend with the club (5k/15k). Our volunteer coach recommended 5k for my pace group so I'm going to go all out Saturday (rest Friday) and shoot for somewhere between 23:30 and 24:30 with my somewhat normally tired legs.

so yesterday it was my first time running where the temp was below 70F so i had a tough time adjusting to the cooler weather. that and a bug flew in my mouth ;(

Top Bottom