• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Cyan

Banned
Fun, beautiful run, but I finished in 55'30" which is my slowest 10k ever. I think the last time I calibrated my Nike+ pedometer thingy (like almost a year ago) must have been off so it's been telling me I've been going 30+ seconds/mile faster than I've really been going.

Man. It's not an appallingly bad time or anything, just way slower than I expected thanks to the pedometer. :/

Time to literally recalibrate and then step up my game again.

Fun, beautiful run, but I finished in 55'30" which is my slowest 10k ever. I think the last time I calibrated my Nike+ pedometer thingy (like almost a year ago) must have been off so it's been telling me I've been going 30+ seconds/mile faster than I've really been going.

Man. It's not an appallingly bad time or anything, just way slower than I expected thanks to the pedometer. :/

Time to literally recalibrate and then step up my game again.

Maybe time to get yourself a GPS watch. :)

8 mile run was brutal today. Just wasn't feeling that great. But finished it. We were averaging a 9'30" and it was awfully humid.

-sdp

I've been running for 4 years now sadly because of time I sometimes let it go for a few months and my speed takes its toll. I find it really difficult to go fast. Right now I'm averaging 5:20 per km when running 5k.

Cyan

Banned
Maybe time to get yourself a GPS watch. :)

Ha, that might help! The problem I have is I just hate wearing armband thingies. I use my old iPod Mini with a Nike+ because I can just stick it in my pocket, and it doubles as something I can listen to audiobooks on while I run. It's definitely getting old though.

... just like me. :(

Ha, that might help! The problem I have is I just hate wearing armband thingies. I use my old iPod Mini with a Nike+ because I can just stick it in my pocket, and it doubles as something I can listen to audiobooks on while I run. It's definitely getting old though.

... just like me. :(

You should consider one of these if you love nike+:

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch...oduct-MP0A2LL/A&product=MP0A2LL/A&step=detail

I don't use nike+ but this seems like a good option if you also own an iphone. If you have BT headphones you can pair directly to watch. For podcasts you could make a playlist of them, then sync directly to watch itself (i am freaking waiting for Apple to allow 3rd party access directly to memory)

max_505

Does anyone here use Balega socks? Looking to buy one and the reviews are great, but I was wondering what you guys/gals think.

Cyan

Banned
You should consider one of these if you love nike+:

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch...oduct-MP0A2LL/A&product=MP0A2LL/A&step=detail

I don't use nike+ but this seems like a good option if you also own an iphone. If you have BT headphones you can pair directly to watch. For podcasts you could make a playlist of them, then sync directly to watch itself (i am freaking waiting for Apple to allow 3rd party access directly to memory)

Hmm, that has potential. I'm very picky about headphones, though. I'll have to check if there's anything similar to what I usually use that has bluetooth.

Hmm, that has potential. I'm very picky about headphones, though. I'll have to check if there's anything similar to what I usually use that has bluetooth.

Samsung Gear Fit 2 and TomTom Runner 3 (Music, or Cardio+Music) have built-in storage for music and such. Don't know about Nike+ integration though.

Edit: Also the Polar M600, I think.

Good job on that 10K, dude!

Thanks! I was a bit worried that the specially hot summer (and the slight anemia I've had) had taken a toll on my fitness, but I'm quite pleased with the results :)

Couldn't have asked for a better combination of circuit (really flat, except for the uphill at the end) and weather (dip in temperatures these last few days, from 32ºC to around 20-ish), really.

Looking forward to the 2016-2017 season.

Has anyone else noticed C210K doesn't work properly? The timer for me is absolute rubbish, I have to put the timer on my phone to time for me otherwise it just doesn't work.

I've successfully done 15 minutes run x 3 with a 1 minute walk in-between 2 mornings now, then if I do it tomorrow I'm done with the week.

mdsfx

I FINALLY broke through 8 minutes. I'm ecstatic with how well it went. I felt very prepared. On to 7:45!

4AjEHBcl.jpg

mdsfx

Thanks so much :) I know it's small potatoes for a serious runner, but personal goals are all relative! I started January 2015 struggling to even complete 1 mile.

Fistwell

Thanks so much :) I know it's small potatoes for a serious runner, but personal goals are all relative! I started January 2015 struggling to even complete 1 mile.
Like you said, we're all only running against ourselves and after our own goals. Aint nothing small about beating your target time. Keep up the good work!

I FINALLY broke through 8 minutes. I'm ecstatic with how well it went. I felt very prepared. On to 7:45!

https://goo.gl/photos/zTUqAZWgsXkRsivx7

Ran my first half marathon today and would'be been happy with 2:20, delighted with 2:20...

I did it in 2:11:18!!

I can't put into words how happy I feel right now. Blown away my expectations, and in pretty hot weather too.

So happy.

Congrats on beating your goals you two! Nice job!

Does anyone here use Balega socks? Looking to buy one and the reviews are great, but I was wondering what you guys/gals think.

It's all I wear. I use the hidden comfort brand to good effect.

Jaybird X2's are what I recommend. Use them with no issue.

https://goo.gl/photos/zTUqAZWgsXkRsivx7

Ran my first half marathon today and would've been happy with 2:20, delighted with 2:15...

I did it in 2:11:18!!

I can't put into words how happy I feel right now. Blown away my expectations, and in pretty hot weather too.

So happy.

Great job dude!

Did a 40 mile race yesterday through the Peak District.

That was an experience!

Woah - what was the route?!
Sounds beautiful :)

I had a pretty heavy Fri and Sat night, and my good intentions for 9 miles crumbled and I went home defeated by my body's lack of inertia and general yucky feelings, only managed a slow crappy 4.5 miles... :(
I'm going to rest up proper and get that 9 miles tomorrow

Heh, thanks, but I was a little too vague there. Most headphones are just kinda uncomfortable for me to wear. My ideal would be something like this but with bluetooth, if those exist.

Ah I understand. Well the X2's are IEM and come with like 3 difference inserts. I can think of a BT version of what you showed. Maybe ask the headphone thread guys?

Yeah, I might do that. Not trying to make you do my research for me! ;)

Haha no worries. I like to help people where I can. I'm just happy we actually have a somewhat active thread right now.

Today I did a 50 minute super easy bike ride on the road. So slow in fact that Strava says I only burned 297 calories. @_@ But my legs were pretty tired after yesterday's humid 8 miler. We have formal intervals on Tuesday so I have to have something in the tank lol.

Fistwell

Thanks, you guys. Legs are fine. Was careful to run on economy the whole way through, even took a few breaks. Wanted to run long but not hard. Feeling good right now, although a bit tired. Might still go for a cheeky 5K before dinner though, lol.

Great run!

Did a similar distance about 3 weeks back. Did 42.2k on 5:32/km

Does anyone know how to make a screenshot or link to strava off an activity?

I hate to tell what i did here without the proof.

Fistwell

Much better pace than me, gj! :D

I only did a print screen, cropped in paint, then hosted on picpar. You could just as easily post a link of the activity I guess, like this?

Fistwell

Yeah I know what you mean. There's little enough exposure in here that I don't have much of a problem with it, but I understand that others might.

I screwed up today and started late. It was already 83 when I started running and it's incredibly humid. For some stupid reason it's supposed to be 101 for the high today. I am really afraid because we are running intervals tomorrow afternoon and it will still be 98 for the high tomorrow. Our pace leader doesn't slow down when it gets hot. :(

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm not a professional runner or anything but recently I've started jogging a bit---I can run for about a mile interrupted and then I briskly walk for about two more miles to sort of cool-off. One issue I'm wondering about and I thought GAF could help involves food, I'm really unsure what's good to eat before running, or if I should make sure my stomach is empty. It seems like I run out of energy running faster if I haven't eaten recently beforehand, but then sometimes when I eat the food seems to weigh me down. And I'm not even eating a ton, just a light sandwich and banana, but is there a good pre-running meal you guys would recommend?

I'm not a professional runner or anything but recently I've started jogging a bit---I can run for about a mile interrupted and then I briskly walk for about two more miles to sort of cool-off. One issue I'm wondering about and I thought GAF could help involves food, I'm really unsure what's good to eat before running, or if I should make sure my stomach is empty. It seems like I run out of energy running faster if I haven't eaten recently beforehand, but then sometimes when I eat the food seems to weigh me down. And I'm not even eating a ton, just a light sandwich and banana, but is there a good pre-running meal you guys would recommend?

If you are just jogging then i would eat nothing more then a banana.

If you are just jogging under an hour you can run on your body's reserves. Everything above the hour, then it can't hurt to eat more. Oatmeal would a good choice. You can do lots of stuff with that. sometimes i eat pancakes in the morning.

I haven't ran in months. I was doing well getting back into shape and then my mum came to visit me in Korea and we went to Japan. I was eating so much and haven't run in two months. weighted myself at the weekend and it was bad.

Bought myself the Bose Soundsport headphones and have decided to get back running tomorrow morning. Super comfortable having worn them the last two days around my apartment. I can't wait for the my Apple Nike Watch to arrive so i can stop worrying about my phone. Actually, the last time I ran I did severe water damage to my iphone running in a torrential downpour. That makes me even more depressed that regardless of that shit weather I still ran. Now I am the heaviest I have been since I moved to Korea in May 2010 ;(((

Time to get back on it.

If you are running less than a hour I think just a small snack 2 hours before your run is fine. If you're going to run more than a hour that's when I recommend intake such as an energy gel or some equivalent (sugar cube). For example on my 1h30 minute run last Saturday I took 1 gel 15 minutes before running then one more at about the hour mark.

mdsfx

I never eat before or during a run, but I do hit a bit of a wall at mile 7-9. I wonder if I should start experimenting with food or gels.

Fistwell

I never eat before or during a run, but I do hit a bit of a wall at mile 7-9. I wonder if I should start experimenting with food or gels.
I've always been like that, and I think it's hurt me on some longer runs. I had a 35K run last December I think, which I finished DEVASTATED. But I used to have real bad stomach reactions if I tried to injest anything right before or during running (wouldnt be able to keep it down, basically, even just water).

I actually tried to eat some stuff for the first time on this morning's long run. Brought some homemade oat cakes (oatmeal, yogurt, some nuts, not sure what else, my wife is the one making them) and a small flask of water. Was able to keep it all down and never felt like I was running low on energy. Disclaimers: it was a slow run, so I'm assuming my legs weren't drawing as big a portion of the blood as if I was going hard, which left some for the digestive system and certainly helped. Also, been running more miles in training, and at a slowish pace, so I was more prepared for that kind of run than I was in December. Also been doing a lot of running fasted, and I think I've been getting better at burning fat. So, all in all, dunno if the food actually helped at all (the water probably did), but at least I didnt puke my guts out which in itself is a small victory for me. I think I'll keep experimenting with it.

So, all that to say, yah, try stuff, see what works.

I haven't ran in months. I was doing well getting back into shape and then my mum came to visit me in Korea and we went to Japan. I was eating so much and haven't run in two months. weighted myself at the weekend and it was bad.

Bought myself the Bose Soundsport headphones and have decided to get back running tomorrow morning. Super comfortable having worn them the last two days around my apartment. I can't wait for the my Apple Nike Watch to arrive so i can stop worrying about my phone. Actually, the last time I ran I did severe water damage to my iphone running in a torrential downpour. That makes me even more depressed that regardless of that shit weather I still ran. Now I am the heaviest I have been since I moved to Korea in May 2010 ;(((

Time to get back on it.
Wb Shanks! Time to run! You should rly ditch Nike+ and join the rest of gaf on Strava though. ;D

sugar cube
Ouch, I would sugar-crash so bad. I guess different things work for different people.

See my advice above. You should check out cliff gel or blocks

I've always been like that, and I think it's hurt me on some longer runs. I had a 35K run last December I think, which I finished DEVASTATED. But I used to have real bad stomach reactions if I tried to injest anything right before or during running (wouldnt be able to keep it down, basically, even just water).

I actually tried to eat some stuff for the first time on this morning's long run. Brought some homemade oat cakes (oatmeal, yogurt, some nuts, not sure what else, my wife is the one making them) and a small flask of water. Was able to keep it all down and never felt like I was running low on energy. Disclaimers: it was a slow run, so I'm assuming my legs weren't drawing as big a portion of the blood as if I was going hard, which left some for the digestive system and certainly helped. Also, been running more miles in training, and at a slowish pace, so I was more prepared for that kind of run than I was in December. Also been doing a lot of running fasted, and I think I've been getting better at burning fat. So, all in all, dunno if the food actually helped at all (the water probably did), but at least I didnt puke my guts out which in itself is a small victory for me. I think I'll keep experimenting with it.

Whatever works for you works for you. :) Every person is quite different when it comes to fueling.

You really need something for the long run. Plenty of water and gels. Those two for me are a godsend.

Not drinking enough water can make you feel like you're in hell. At least that's the way for me. Like you said, i finished devastated.

Especially when i'm doing trails in the hills i need gels and plenty of water.

I know you know this i just wanted to say you were right about the long run :)

Fistwell

Eh, I've ran lots of 25 to 28Ks without food or water and been fine. It changes a lot between different people, I think we all have a limit beyond which we need stuff, but that limit can obviously be longer or shorter.

Edit: with the topic being active for once, I figured I'd ask about running podcasts. Anybody know any good ones? Cause I sure dont. Been listening to the first cple ones from Sage Canaday, and it's been hit and miss. Interesting to hear him talk about his recent setbacks though, gets into talk of overtraining; which is always interesting to me.

Top Bottom