• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

I'm looking at something midrange rather than a full-on smart watch, maybe something like this guy: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016PAPI3W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've been using the 230 since the release last fall. it had pace issues at first but Garmin fixed it after a few weeks. Have no complaints about it. Garmin Connect gives load of info and can also sync to Strava/Nike app. i consider Strava like the main social media of athletes. Was hooked right away.

So I've been thinking since The_Inquisitor's recommendation a few weeks ago that it probably is about time for me to get a GPS watch. I've decided to bail on Nike+ since it's much more focused on presentation than actual information, and since it turns out to be possible albeit deliberately difficult to export my old data from the site. (What do most other folks use these days? Strava?)

I'm looking at something midrange rather than a full-on smart watch, maybe something like this guy: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016PAPI3W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I was looking at the TomTom Spark since it'd be nice to combine the GPS tracking with a music player and not have to still carry an iPod around, but from what I can find it's not great for audiobooks and podcasts since it doesn't save listening locations. It seems like a decent GPS watch with mediocre music functionality bolted on, and that's not really what I want.

Strongly considering just getting the Garmin watch and continuing to use an old iPod for listening to stuff. Any thoughts or anything I'm missing?

Strava is what most people use.
Around here anyway.

You can't go wrong with a garmin watch.
I have the fenix 3 but it's pricy. The forerunners are also a good purchase.

Fistwell

So I've been thinking since The_Inquisitor's recommendation a few weeks ago that it probably is about time for me to get a GPS watch. I've decided to bail on Nike+ since it's much more focused on presentation than actual information, and since it turns out to be possible albeit deliberately difficult to export my old data from the site. (What do most other folks use these days? Strava?)

I was looking at the TomTom Spark since it'd be nice to combine the GPS tracking with a music player and not have to still carry an iPod around, but from what I can find it's not great for audiobooks and podcasts since it doesn't save listening locations. It seems like a decent GPS watch with mediocre music functionality bolted on, and that's not really what I want.

Strongly considering just getting the Garmin watch and continuing to use an old iPod for listening to stuff. Any thoughts or anything I'm missing?
Yeah Nike+ is kinda shit and getting worse all the time it seems. Strava is fine. You'll also find a bunch of people from here posting their runs there. Garmin watches are ok. I have an older forerunner (620 I think?) which is fine. Just got my wife a 235 (I think the same model you're looking at + heartbeat rate monitor) to replace her old nike watch. She absolutely loves it, and I'm probably buying the same one for myself soon.

For music I just use an old sony walkman. It's only the headphones, so I don't have to carry crap in my pockets.

Seems like a solid plan. If you are into that kind of stuff find out if the Garmin watch you'll get is compatible with Run Dynamics v2 and can be paired with a footpod to get more reliable instant pace (in the event you may want that information in the future).

If you find the iPod is too bulky you might want to look into a SanDisk Clip Sport or something similar.

And don't forget to join RunGAF on Strava ;)

KeRaSh

Great choice. I've had the 235 for the included HR info since it launched and I love it.

On a different note, went for an easy run on Monday and while I had no issue for most of the run, I did feel a slight discomfort in my right knee again during one short section. Obviously it was dumb to speed up significantly right at the end but the music was too intense...
I'll continue to take it easy and maybe switch back to my old shoes for a while. I had the newer pair on during an obstacle race that had use crawling through mud and swimming through water. Does washing the shoes afterwards damage it in a way that could cause this? The shoes definitely felt tighter after letting them dry but other than that they feel normal...

So I managed a slow 4.65 miles yesterday, I'm trying not too get too hung up on time but I can't pretend it isn't disappointing - I've been working an evening job recently and finishing up and then getting home at 1am really is wrecking me too - I must be getting old!

I think I will look into shorter faster runs post this half-marathon on Sunday.
I was really happy to do a sub 1 hour 10K in the summer, and keeping a note book of my stats since I started last spring - it is already clear the progress I made.

Just curious, anyone use some specific software to generate any interesting graphs or see trends? I was going to plug it all into Excel at some point, but wonder if there's already any websites / software that can do fun things with running data - bar tracking the stuff via Strava or something anyway?

KiKaL

Just signed up for a race that definitely makes me nervous. It's a Spartan Ultra Beast so I will be looking at roughly 30 miles of trail running at a ski resort with 60+ obstacles. These races generally have around a 20% finish rate which is what drew me to it. It will take the winner around 7-9 hours to complete and I am hoping to do it in 10-12. The longest I have raced previously is about 5 hours so this will definitely be a jump up and will be interesting to work on my nutrition.

I thought I was heading into the off-season for a few months but looks like I got a few easy weeks and now back to the grind for this race in 6 months.

DagsJT

Gemüsestäbchen;220050332 said:
So I managed a slow 4.65 miles yesterday, I'm trying not too get too hung up on time but I can't pretend it isn't disappointing - I've been working an evening job recently and finishing up and then getting home at 1am really is wrecking me too - I must be getting old!

I think I will look into shorter faster runs post this half-marathon on Sunday.
I was really happy to do a sub 1 hour 10K in the summer, and keeping a note book of my stats since I started last spring - it is already clear the progress I made.

Just curious, anyone use some specific software to generate any interesting graphs or see trends? I was going to plug it all into Excel at some point, but wonder if there's already any websites / software that can do fun things with running data - bar tracking the stuff via Strava or something anyway?

Smashrun sounds like it'll do what you want.

Running a half marathon Saturday! Was gonna do the full but I dropped down because all my friends are getting trashed Friday night. Excited to get my first medal and all that stuff!

Gonna break in my new shoes with my new socks as a study break later today 👍🏻

Just signed up for a race that definitely makes me nervous. It's a Spartan Ultra Beast so I will be looking at roughly 30 miles of trail running at a ski resort with 60+ obstacles. These races generally have around a 20% finish rate which is what drew me to it. It will take the winner around 7-9 hours to complete and I am hoping to do it in 10-12. The longest I have raced previously is about 5 hours so this will definitely be a jump up and will be interesting to work on my nutrition.

I thought I was heading into the off-season for a few months but looks like I got a few easy weeks and now back to the grind for this race in 6 months.

That sounds like a lot of fun!! I never did an obstacle race that long.
The longest one i did was a 24K wit 100 obstacles.

Now i wanna do one that's 30 miles! :)

DagsJT

Did a beep test tonight for the first time since school (I'm 36 years old). Running for 7 minutes, and 0.7 miles, doesn't sound difficult but I could barely breathe at the end!

Finished on level 8.3 which I'm happy enough with. It's good enough for Western Australia Police so good enough for me :)

I'm tired. Intervals on Tuesday (2x15 minute) were a b&$&:. Thank god for our pacer otherwise no way I would have finished both. Did a recovery run yesterday then ran an easy 50 today (which is really 65 minutes). I'm utterly exhausted and already at 26 miles for the week. Long is going to be 11 this week. @_@

The good news is that I still fee much stronger. And I've officially lost 6 pounds since I started training. I think I should hit my 1h50 goal this year.

Haha glad you picked one up. Yes please join us on strava. We have some surprisingly long distance runners. I think you'll enjoy both strava and your watch a lot. :)

Edit: Oops created new post instead of editing. Sorry.

KiKaL

That sounds like a lot of fun!! I never did an obstacle race that long.
The longest one i did was a 24K wit 100 obstacles.

Now i wanna do one that's 30 miles! :)

A 24k with 100 obstacles sounds pretty awesome. Was that a race in the Europe? I think Facebook serves me ads about it but I can't remember where it's at . I'd love to do it but live in the US. There is also Tough Guy over there that sounds amazing/horrible.

A 24k with 100 obstacles sounds pretty awesome. Was that a race in the Europe? I think Facebook serves me ads about it but I can't remember where it's at . I'd love to do it but live in the US. There is also Tough Guy over there that sounds amazing/horrible.

It was the GLADIATORRUN eXtreme Mud Editie 2014
Did it in 2u22m.
It was very hard on the legs because of the pits of mud where you had to crawl out.
4 after each other + at the end you had to go through the woods in mud as high as the knees. Very fun!

This year it's 24K with 80 obstacles.

Paganmoon

So finally went to a specialized running store to get some new shoes, apparently I've focused on the wrong kind, adding extra stability on the outside, since I always wear my shoes out on that outside first. Apparently, I needed extra stability on the inside, and after watching the video they shot of me running, I see they have a point.

Hoping the new shoes will help with my knee problems (physio said my hip needs to be strengthened as well).

mdsfx

So finally went to a specialized running store to get some new shoes, apparently I've focused on the wrong kind, adding extra stability on the outside, since I always wear my shoes out on that outside first. Apparently, I needed extra stability on the inside, and after watching the video they shot of me running, I see they have a point.

Hoping the new shoes will help with my knee problems (physio said my hip needs to be strengthened as well).

Using the right shoe for your body makes a huge difference. I went through so many injuries using shoes I picked on my own. Once I spent the time to get my step analyzed and got fitted with the proper shoe, everything was so much better (and has been all year!).

Smashrun sounds like it'll do what you want.

Thanks, will have a gander.

Running a half marathon Saturday! Was gonna do the full but I dropped down because all my friends are getting trashed Friday night. Excited to get my first medal and all that stuff!

Gonna break in my new shoes with my new socks as a study break later today ����

I hope your half-marathon went well today!

Sunday's half-marathon looms for me o_O
I got completely ruined on Friday night too, I skipped the 2-mile today, and I'm pretending a few hours of hard clubbing replaced that instead *ahem*.

Did a 10K race this morning and finally managed to snag a sub-40 time, 39:55 down from my previous 10K PB of 40:50 (last month) and 42:30 for the same race last year. Pretty happy about that :D

Gemüsestäbchen;220223475 said:
Sunday's half-marathon looms for me o_O
I got completely ruined on Friday night too, I skipped the 2-mile today, and I'm pretending a few hours of hard clubbing replaced that instead *ahem*.

How did your half-marathon go, Gemüsestäbchen? Hope the clubbing didn't hit your legs too hard ;b

trixx

running half marathon in 3 hours. First half-marathon. Excited and nervous hopefully i can get rid of this nerves before then

Fistwell

Did a 10K race this morning and finally managed to snag a sub-40 time, 39:55 down from my previous 10K PB of 40:50 (last month) and 42:30 for the same race last year. Pretty happy about that :D
Great job dude! I'll get there too one day! ;D

About to enrol for a semi that's happening early november. Not a real goal, I'll treat it as a hard workout. Doing it to run with some friends. Curious to see what I'll run though.

running half marathon in 3 hours. First half-marathon. Excited and nervous hopefully i can get rid of this nerves before then

I'm sure you'll be fine so don't think to much about it. Just enjoy the ride :)

Great job dude! I'll get there too one day! ;D

About to enrol for a semi that's happening early november. Not a real goal, I'll treat it as a hard workout. Doing it to run with some friends. Curious to see what I'll run though.

I think that's a good mindset to be honest. The first one (half, full marathon or whatever) should be an enjoyable race that one can use to gauge fitness level for that distance. So I'd say you already have half the work done.

I hope your training leading of to the race goes well.

Fistwell

I think that's a good mindset to be honest. The first one (half, full marathon or whatever) should be an enjoyable race that one can use to gauge fitness level for that distance. So I'd say you already have half the work done.

I hope your training leading of to the race goes well.
I mean, I've ran plenty of semis in training, on long runs, so I have a good grasp of the distance and of what to expect. But yeah, running it in a race is gonna be different.

Not really gonna prepare for it either, I'll just start a 10K training program and include that race as a hard long run. It's in early november, so practically no time to actually put in work and have it pay off by then. We'll see what happens.

Using the right shoe for your body makes a huge difference. I went through so many injuries using shoes I picked on my own. Once I spent the time to get my step analyzed and got fitted with the proper shoe, everything was so much better (and has been all year!).

Can i ask you if you are a heel striker or mid foot striker?

I was under the impression that if you are a midfoot striker thes shoes didn't matter that much. Off course if you have serious problems with your legs or foot then the right shoes will help you.

This is just to know if what i thought is right or wrong.

Pedrito

I have my first half-marathon in two weeks. Should I stop running and "rest" or only run short distances from now on?

I thought completing it would not be that much of a challenge, but yesterday, I ran about 20k and got a terrible cramp in my quad in the last kilometer. I couldn't do an extra step. It's also getting quite cold and I don't think my body likes running in that weather. I'm way less enthusiastic about the race than I've been all summer long...

Fistwell

I have my first half-marathon in two weeks. Should I stop running and "rest" or only run short distances from now on?

I thought completing it would not be that much of a challenge, but yesterday, I ran about 20k and got a terrible cramp in my quad in the last kilometer. I couldn't do an extra step. It's also getting quite cold and I don't think my body likes running in that weather. I'm way less enthusiastic about the race than I was all summer long...
Scale back the volume, but don't completely quit working out. Maybe next week you do 75% of what you'd do normally, then final week 50ish. Hard work you put in now won't improve your fitness level by race day. Your focus on the last 2 weeks is typically on not losing fitness, and resting as much as possible. I usually run mostly easy miles on the last week, with maybe a 15min tempo a cple of days before the race.

I thought completing it would not be that much of a challenge, but yesterday, I ran about 20k and got a terrible cramp in my quad in the last kilometer. I couldn't do an extra step. It's also getting quite cold and I don't think my body likes running in that weather. I'm way less enthusiastic about the race than I was all summer long...
You should keep running and keep your legs ticking over, keep them loose. Do maybe 6-8k runs and one longer one next weekend around 12k. The more you run the less you'll need to taper, I've done three-half marathon races in the past 3 weekends and done smaller runs during the weekdays.

You'll be OK on the day I'm sure, the buzz you'll get on the day will make the first few miles fly by and if you get to 20k on the day you'll finish no matter what. Just do smaller runs till then and stretch on the day and start at a comfortable slower pace and gradually increase it.

Man,

Legs are feeling tired today. I've actually never run 36 miles in a single week before. Will stick to training plan with a short cycling session today.

trixx

Just came back from waterfront half-marathon run. Ran at 1:48:50. Kinda disappointed as I ended up cramping mid way, probably should have ate something in the morning but i guess its okay for my first run.

I don't know if I want to do another half or full next year. I'd like a gold medal. Overall it was a lot of fun and definitely will partake in more running events and this thread. Good luck to those running in upcoming events

My feet and ankles though =/

Pedrito

Scale back the volume, but don't completely quit working out. Maybe next week you do 75% of what you'd do normally, then final week 50ish. Hard work you put in now won't improve your fitness level by race day. Your focus on the last 2 weeks is typically on not losing fitness, and resting as much as possible. I usually run mostly easy miles on the last week, with maybe a 15min tempo a cple of days before the race.

You should keep running and keep your legs ticking over, keep them loose. Do maybe 6-8k runs and one longer one next weekend around 12k. The more you run the less you'll need to taper, I've done three-half marathon races in the past 3 weekends and done smaller runs during the weekdays.

You'll be OK on the day I'm sure, the buzz you'll get on the day will make the first few miles fly by and if you get to 20k on the day you'll finish no matter what. Just do smaller runs till then and stretch on the day and start at a comfortable slower pace and gradually increase it.

Thanks.

I think I'm getting a cold and my legs are really hurting today so I guess I'll have to take it easy no matter what.

How did your half-marathon go, Gemüsestäbchen? Hope the clubbing didn't hit your legs too hard ;b

God damn, it was alright at the start, I felt really good!
But my hips started to ache around mile 10 and it was pure hell to get those last 3.1 miles down. I essentially rolled over the finishing line... And I'm annoyed that I stopped loads during the last bloody stretch - but I really felt my body complaining.

Chip time was 2:17:11 / gun time 2:17:43

Bit disappointed I failed to beat my 2:11 half-marathon time in March, but overall my running goals were to do two half-marathons during 2016, and I'm very happy that I managed. I def feel fitter - perhaps not too shabby for someone who couldn't run a mile last May? :p

Key learning: Don't go clubbing 28 hours before a race!

Oh oh - My mates are thinking of doing that Advent Calendar run thing, 5K every day for 24 days...
Not sure it is compatible with Christmas party season, but I think it is really doable and a nice short daily run...
Any thoughts?

Fistwell

Gemüsestäbchen;220297902 said:
Oh oh - My mates are thinking of doing that Advent Calendar run thing, 5K every day for 24 days...
Not sure it is compatible with Christmas party season, but I think it is really doable and a nice short daily run...
Any thoughts?
Depends what condition you're in, but generally very doable. I had been running 5K fasted every day for a while (trying to lose weight) as an easy morning run, before doing regular workouts/runs in the afternoon. It went fine. If you're at 35+K/week now, shouldnt be too much of a problem. Maybe make sure some of those at are a fairly leisurely pace since you're not getting days completely off.

littledipster

Neo Member
Today I finished my second marathon and I'm happy to say I PRed the half and full with a 1:22:14 and a 2:50:03 respectively (bitter about those 4 seconds)... I had been running very high mileage weeks peaking at about 92 for two consecutive weeks, so needless to say I'm happy this is over with! My legs are super sore and I think I'm going to take it easy for a bit, especially considering I've lost two toenails the past month (once after a long run in a 92 mile week and once at mile 20 today). Now to decide whether or not I want to sign up for Chicago and mentally prepare myself for training for Boston. Congrats to everyone who ran a race this weekend!!!

Fistwell

Today I finished my second marathon and I'm happy to say I PRed the half and full with a 1:22:14 and a 2:50:03 respectively (bitter about those 4 seconds)... I had been running very high mileage weeks peaking at about 92 for two consecutive weeks, so needless to say I'm happy this is over with! My legs are super sore and I think I'm going to take it easy for a bit, especially considering I've lost two toenails the past month (once after a long run in a 92 mile week and once at mile 20 today). Now to decide whether or not I want to sign up for Chicago and mentally prepare myself for training for Boston. Congrats to everyone who ran a race this weekend!!!
Fantastic time and great effort overall! Your volume in training has been pretty incredible!

I found being a bit flexible helps.

If you want to do every other day then go for it. 3 days a week should be fine though. Having a extra rest day is handy if you are still getting your legs up to snuff. Dont be afraid to rest.

When I first started constantly running during the summer and totally over did it with a mix of over running and bad form eventually my knees forced me to take a week or two off. Not nice when I had my first 10k booked and coming soon.

15 miles a week is fine if you are aiming for a sub hour 10k. I'd try break that up into a 6k run, 8k run and a 10k run per week. Try get your 5k under 30 minutes if it isnt already is a nice target to have as well. Doing that consistently is a nice base. If you can do that on your own on a regular solo run I think a sub hour 10k during a race with the added race day excitement will be a doddle.

Thanks friend. It's a running day today so I'll give that a look see.

Orgen

I have my first marathon next month (November 20th) and I've been slacking lately on my training (late holidays, birthday...) so I need to catch up a little even if it's recommended to get some rest before the race.

For example my longest trainings are about 18-22 km long. Should I do one longer before the race? (30 km perhaps?) I think that mentally and actively I'm ready for the race but physically I still get some stiffness on my legs after these long runs (that's why I'm asking if I should do a longer training before the race even at risking an injury). What exercises should I be doing to strengthen my legs? Should I be focusing on these exercises instead of long runs or do all of them? (with intervals, that is the other trainings I do).

Thanks in advance!

14729243_601101986739536_3781028725678705387_n.jpg

Overall time wasn't that great at 49m 49s, but 9.09 a mile isn't bad. I would have gone faster if I hadn't got stuck at a traffic light for like 3 minutes.

I have my first marathon next month (November 20th) and I've been slacking lately on my training (late holidays, birthday...) so I need to catch up a little even if it's recommended to get some rest before the race.

For example my longest trainings are about 18-22 km long. Should I do one longer before the race? (30 km perhaps?) I think that mentally and actively I'm ready for the race but physically I still get some stiffness on my legs after these long runs (that's why I'm asking if I should do a longer training before the race even at risking an injury). What exercises should I be doing to strengthen my legs? Should I be focusing on these exercises instead of long runs or do all of them? (with intervals, that is the other trainings I do).

Thanks in advance!

I'd stop doing long runs three to two weeks before a marathon, depending on fitness level and how fast you can recover from them. That said, 22km long runs seem a tad short for marathon training, and I don't know if you have enough time to ramp up to +30km runs safely and still have time to rest for the marathon.

Fistwell

Thanks in advance!
I would squeeze in a long-long run asap, say 32+K. If you do it too close to the race, you won't get the fitness benefits in time. You'll also want to curb down volume when getting closer to your race. If it's 4 weeks out, in terms of long runs I'd try 32-ish this week, 25 next, down to 18-15 on the last two weeks, something like that. I think taking it easy on the last 2 to 3 weeks should give you plenty enough rest. You still have a small window to put in some work right now. Best of luck!

Edit: beaten.

Orgen

I'd stop doing long runs three to two weeks before a marathon, depending on fitness level and how fast you can recover from them. That said, 22km long runs seem a tad short for marathon training, and I don't know if you have enough time to ramp up to +30km runs safely and still have time to rest for the marathon.

I would squeeze in a long-long run asap, say 32+K. If you do it too close to the race, you won't get the fitness benefits in time. You'll also want to curb down volume when getting closer to your race. If it's 4 weeks out, in terms of long runs I'd try 32-ish this week, 25 next, down to 18-15 on the last two weeks, something like that. I think taking it easy on the last 2 to 3 weeks should give you plenty enough rest. You still have a small window to put in some work right now. Best of luck!

Edit: beaten.

Damnnnnnnn, I was expecting an answer like these but I didn't want to read it hahaha I can make a longer run this week (>30km) and then lower the distance on my next runs until the marathon, yeah. Many thanks for your answers! :)

And another silly question regarding eating before the race: Normally I'll have some rice/pasta dishes a couple of days before the race but yesterday a friend told me that eating potatoes, eggplants, zuchinnis... the day before the race is best due to them being slow carbs. Is that true?

Fistwell

There are many opinions, contradicting studies and theories on carb loading. The consensus seems to be that eating reasonable amounts of carbs on the last cple of days leading up to the race is enough. Some people jump through a lot of hoops (avoiding carbs for several days, then gorging on them the last few days), but I don't know that it's been conclusively proven to be more effective.

trixx

I don't understand these shin splints. Does everyone get it after a long race? I was under the impression that I trained enough and the shoes I bought would lower the chances of me getting them

There are many opinions, contradicting studies and theories on carb loading. The consensus seems to be that eating reasonable amounts of carbs on the last cple of days leading up to the race is enough. Some people jump through a lot of hoops (avoiding carbs for several days, then gorging on them the last few days), but I don't know that it's been conclusively proven to be more effective.

Basically this. Maybe shift a bit your macro splits a bit towards carbs a couple of days before the race if you want, but just stick to what works for you usually.

I have some notes at home about sport nutrition from a talk awhile back, I'll take a look at them when I'm done with work and see if there's anything regarding pre-race loading.

Top Bottom