• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Servbot24

Banned
When the weather makes it all the way down from the 100s in the summer to the 70s in the fall I feel as though my legs have boundless energy :D

Fistwell

Yeah that's the best, love it when it gets cooler about as much as I hate it when it gets warmer. Would much rather have rain, wind and cool rather than sunny hot.

Aurongel

Anyone else run with flat feet? I'm super depressed because I've been running for years now and I still can't go more than a mile without every step feel like shooting pain. It pisses me off too because Im not even tired or out of breath.

I just want to know how others do it.

Just got done taking to my friends. Shocked myself and ran a 7:36 pace for my 5k. That was exactly within my 7:30-7:45 target range. Pretty pleased considering I only took 1 day off before the race.

Anyone else run with flat feet? I'm super depressed because I've been running for years now and I still can't go more than a mile without every step feel like shooting pain. It pisses me off too because Im not even tired or out of breath.

I have no arch. I found I needed to get the right shoe. I've been wearing Asics Gel Kayanos for years now and that has helped tremendously.

pbsapeer

Banned
It's getting colder now and I tend to run in the early morning before work. Anyone use running tights? Can you recommend any or any other way to keep warm?

Thanks!

It's getting colder now and I tend to run in the early morning before work. Anyone use running tights? Can you recommend any or any other way to keep warm?

Thanks!

In colder weather I tend to run in tights (I've used Kalenji, ASICS and 2XU, find ones that are comfortable to run in) and a long-sleeved shirt with sleeves loose enough to roll up in case I get too hot.

If it's specially cold (which doesn't happen often around here), I'll use some thin gloves and a shirt with an actual collar to cover the neck.

Fistwell

I've ran in tights but more for the hell of it ("look at em skinny legs!!") rather than really to keep warm. I usually stick to shorts and short sleeves, but cover extremities when it gets colder. Gloves are the first to come on, then hat if absolutely necessary. I have some long sleeves too, but I don't ever really wear them.

fester

Banned

I also have zero arch but have been running consistently for the past 6. What shoes are you running in and how old are they?

Fistwell

So ran a 10K today.
N4cc.png
Not a great time, but could have been worse. Would have liked to run sub 40, but it wasnt realistically going to happen. That 20min 5K from a week ago, JD gives it a 41:30 10K equivalence. I'm about right there, accounting for me not pushing 100% last week.

DAT KICK DOE! (passed a few guys at the end, felt fairly confident I was gonna spill my lunch right at the finish line, moved stumbled a cple of meters to get out of the field of vision of the finish line cam, some kid puked his guts last year, didnt wanna be that guy #pride #selfrespect #vomit)

I didnt really prepare for a 10K, had been running to lose weight the last cple of months. But this is a decent enough base to work from. Contrary to last year, where I came in overtrained out of my goddamn mind (and could only caugh out a 41:20 while I ran 39:40 in "practice"), I'm in good physical shape and I'll be able to hopefully build on this. I'm done losing weight (I think...) and can just go back to running to improve. I'll probably take a cple of weeks easy, then build back mileage and go from there.

The only bad thing is I sprained my ankle pretty bad warming up (doing high knees on irregular ground, squinting at the wife to make sure she had good form, lol oups OUCH). Gonna be sore tomorrow. But, again, I'll be taking it easy for a few weeks, so it'll fine (pretty please?).

So ran a 10K today.

Not a great time, but could have been worse. Would have liked to run sub 40, but it wasnt realistically going to happen. That 20min 5K from a week ago, JD gives it a 41:30 10K equivalence. I'm about right there, accounting for me not pushing 100% last week.

DAT KICK DOE! (passed a few guys at the end, felt fairly confident I was gonna spill my lunch right at the finish line, moved stumbled a cple of meters to get out of the field of vision of the finish line cam, some kid puked his guts last year, didnt wanna be that guy #pride #selfrespect #vomit)

I didnt really prepare for a 10K, had been running to lose weight the last cple of months. But this is a decent enough base to work from. Contrary to last year, where I came in overtrained out of my goddamn mind (and could only caugh out a 41:20 while I ran 39:40 in "practice"), I'm in good physical shape and I'll be able to hopefully build on this. I'm done losing weight (I think...) and can just go back to running to improve. I'll probably take a cple of weeks easy, then build back mileage and go from there.

The only bad thing is I sprained my ankle pretty bad warming up (doing high knees on irregular ground, squinting at the wife to make sure she had good form, lol oups OUCH). Gonna be sore tomorrow. But, again, I'll be taking it easy for a few weeks, so it'll fine (pretty please?).

Not a bad time at all! Once you get back into a 10K training routine and the temperature goes a tiny bit lower you'll have your sub-40 for sure.

Fistwell

Yeah, thx, hoping so. Disappointed to finish over 40 2 years in a row. I need to be reasonable and account for cicumstances, but reasonable isnt my strong suit. :)

Fistwell

Just for fitness. But ideally my goal is 10k in under an hour for now, then go from there.
(Very) roughly, the more you're able to run while giving your body enough time to recover, the better the fightness gains. Don't underestimate that second part, without recovery there's no gains and there's injury down the line. You need to experiment and see what works for you, maybe try different formulas. But I think it's not a bad idea to take every other day off for where you're at. What's your weekly mileage?

(Very) roughly, the more you're able to run while giving your body enough time to recover, the better the fightness gains. Don't underestimate that second part, without recovery there's no gains and there's injury down the line. You need to experiment and see what works for you, maybe try different formulas. But I think it's not a bad idea to take every other day off for where you're at. What's your weekly mileage?

At the moment, not including walking about 15-16 miles.

Fistwell

At the moment, not including walking about 15-16 miles.
Just spread it out as evenly as possible, like 5ish miles every Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday. You can eventually add an extra day of very light jogging for example on Sunday if you're looking to extend mileage. A 4rth day isnt necesary to break 1hr on 10K (see that plan here for example, which sticks to 3 days/week like you're doing), but it'd speed up the process. Obviously, up to you to know if you have the time and energy for it however.

Best of luck! You've come a long way already, dude, great work!

Edit: Man, for how slow I felt on Kms 8 and 9, 4:14 and 4:12 is actually pretty great. Starting to feel better about yesterday's run already. That felt super slow, like moving through mud. Excited to pick up training. Now to wait for the ankle to swell down...

Yeah, three runs per week sounds about right (although I'm partial to that number :b). You'll be able to get enough rest and be able to increase your mileage easily and gradually down the line.

You might want to consider some cross training on your off days such as biking, swimming or rowing if you feel up to it.

KeRaSh

I religiously trained for a 18K obstacle race right until we went on vacation to LA and Hawaii for 2.5 weeks. I only ran three times in Hawaii and ate whetever I wanted. Thankfully my preparation before the vacation was enough to carry me through the race injury free and within the top 3 of my team.
After that I took a two week break from running. Now I want to get back into it but I started feeling knee pain in my right knee 3-5K into my runs. I stopped running when I realized that it was more than just a little discomfort, rested a few days until the pain was completely gone and gave it another shot. The pain came back and I rested again.
Will give it another shot today.
Hopefully this is just my body telling me to start losing that vacation weight. I approached my runs like I did before my vacation but obviously my fitness has degraded over that time frame so I should probably take it easier until my body has adjusted to the new variables.
It's discouraging, though. I really want to run and run more, like I did during my training but my knee won't allow it. I tell myself it will get better the more I run but at the same time that doesn't seem possible...

Fistwell

I religiously trained for a 18K obstacle race right until we went on vacation to LA and Hawaii for 2.5 weeks. I only ran three times in Hawaii and ate whetever I wanted. Thankfully my preparation before the vacation was enough to carry me through the race injury free and within the top 3 of my team.
After that I took a two week break from running. Now I want to get back into it but I started feeling knee pain in my right knee 3-5K into my runs. I stopped running when I realized that it was more than just a little discomfort, rested a few days until the pain was completely gone and gave it another shot. The pain came back and I rested again.
Will give it another shot today.
Hopefully this is just my body telling me to start losing that vacation weight. I approached my runs like I did before my vacation but obviously my fitness has degraded over that time frame so I should probably take it easier until my body has adjusted to the new variables.
It's discouraging, though. I really want to run and run more, like I did during my training but my knee won't allow it. I tell myself it will get better the more I run but at the same time that doesn't seem possible...
What kind of effort are you doing when the pain comes? Tempo-ish level or higher? If it's low grade tendinitis, light efforts should allow you to run without pain and shouldn't make things worse (it's supposed to actually help a little). But if things persist, I'd go get it checked out.

T-minus 6 days until the half-marathon, and I'm sort of annoyed that my body has been letting me down a lot recently - my runs have been slower and slower. Got some sort of strange breathing difficulties too recently, and my doctor suggested I may have some asthma, so now one of those grown adults with an inhaler.
And to cap it all off I got that "change of season" cold / the lurgy that everyone's got, and feel fatigued and coughing like I'm dying every other breath.

Means I missed my final 12 mile run (last week) which would have been the last longer run ahead of the half-marathon this Sunday coming.
I feel so angry with myself, and I know I shouldn't but it's like the last push and I'm wrecked...

I heard that when you have a cold:
In the chest = rest
Above the chest / in the throat = safe to go

Anyone one else have this experience?

To be honest, I haven't run in 5 days now, to try to give my body a chance to get better, but I'm feeling now really guilty and feel mentally unprepared - should I stlll bother trying to go for this 12 mile say on Wednesday?

Sigh :(

Fistwell

Gemüsestäbchen;219713420 said:
T-minus 6 days until the half-marathon, and I'm sort of annoyed that my body has been letting me down a lot recently - my runs have been slower and slower. Got some sort of strange breathing difficulties too recently, and my doctor suggested I may have some asthma, so now one of those grown adults with an inhaler.
And to cap it all off I got that "change of season" cold / the lurgy that everyone's got, and feel fatigued and coughing like I'm dying every other breath.

Means I missed my final 12 mile run (last week) which would have been the last longer run ahead of the half-marathon this Sunday coming.
I feel so angry with myself, and I know I shouldn't but it's like the last push and I'm wrecked...

In the chest = rest

To be honest, I haven't run in 5 days now, to try to give my body a chance to get better, but I'm feeling now really guilty and feel mentally unprepared - should I stlll bother trying to go for this 12 mile say on Wednesday?

Get more rest, too late for the work you put in this week to pay off by Sunday. All you need is getting over that bug and maybe a few easy runs with some strides to get your legs spinning a bit. Best of luck!

Gemüsestäbchen;219713420 said:

In the chest = rest

I wouldn't do a high-effort/long run that close to the HM. Maybe go for two short-ish runs on tuesday and thursday and rest/do some light cross training the rest, a 2 mile easy run on friday even if you are feeling a bit nervous.

Edit: Beaten to the finish line

KeRaSh

What kind of effort are you doing when the pain comes? Tempo-ish level or higher? If it's low grade tendinitis, light efforts should allow you to run without pain and shouldn't make things worse (it's supposed to actually help a little). But if things persist, I'd go get it checked out.

I'm doing easy to medium effort runs. :/
I'll go for an easy run again after work today. Hopefully it's fine this time.

Get more rest, too late for the work you put in this week to pay off by Sunday. All you need is getting over that bug and maybe a few easy runs with some strides to get your legs spinning a bit. Best of luck!

I wouldn't do a high-effort/long run that close to the HM. Maybe go for two short-ish runs on tuesday and thursday and rest/do some light cross training the rest, a 2 mile easy run on friday even if you are feeling a bit nervous.

Edit: Beaten to the finish line

Thanks Festwill and Duebrithil - your advice is duly noted - seems like better not to go crazy. And thanks for the good wishes.
And this sounds pretty British, but threw a cup of tea in me just now and I feel already a bit better.
It's actually a pretty nice autumnal day, and I'll go cycle into central London via some parks and use that as a little crosstraining today to get back into some short runs...

Just got this in the post...
fullsizerendersvqqe.jpg

I won't lie - I'm a bit relieved hahaha

panda-zebra

Got the same, a day after I ran my 1st marathon. Will have to get a good for age and do it in 2018 instead :)

God knows how I made it through that race yesterday, have been suffering a horribly painful knee, physio showed it was tightness in calf/ITB, worked on it and freed it up, but each day after the pain crept back. Attempted a little jog in the morning to top up parking money and pulled up with the familiar stabbing pain each time my foot landed.

One of the other runners worked on my thigh for about 20 minutes before the race, got it a lot more loose and I was able to start. 3 or 4 times I had my knee give way under me without warning in the first 5 miles, pretty much resigned to a DNF, but continued regardless. Also had the mystery numb foot come on like clockwork a few miles in. And with the last 6 long runs it went a few miles later, after building up to a feeling like running in a plaster cast.

Took it easy, got through the first half really comfortably apart from that. From then took it very easy on the slight ups and downs as those really did hurt the knee. At around 20 miles, when I've always been spent/dehydrated in my long runs, I felt really good bar a few hints of the problem knee. Plenty of people failing hard here, walking, staggering and some weird form of jogging that looked slower than walking but twice the effort, yet I felt I'd saved enough to get me through.

The last half mile had a steep hill, but I heard some good shouts of encouragement, and despite pain and occasional wobbles each time my left foot landed, I got it done.

Drank 1,5l of water before race, 300ml at 1st water station, 4.5 500ml isotonic drinks at the others, had 3 gels and ate 4 dates. No signs of dehydration at all, even though I expected to be sloshing around and uncomfortable - so have ordered myself a hydration vest for training runs, clearly been doing myself no favours so far in that regard.

So first one bagged in bang on target time of 3:30 while carrying an injury that should have seen me heading home before the start - definitely settle for that!

Daante

10k race finished yesterday.

My previous PB on that distance was 42.40 (from April this year), and yesterday i managed to finish on 41.51 so that´s officially a new PB for me!. I felt before the race that i realistically had sub 42 in me, so i think my estimation on what i can actually achieve is fairly good these days.

My strategy was to go out in a 4.12 tempo and keep it until 2-3 km was left and then try to go faster and give it my all (this race course/competition is totally flat the last 2 km). Felt really strong during the whole race and from km 8 to 9 i was down on 4.07 pace, and last km i manage to run on 3.52 pace.

Average pulse was 156 bpm during the race , with a short peak at 167 bpm in the end.

Had a very rough night before the race, with very bad and little sleep (maby nerves and excitement got me) so i think ideally i can shave of a few seconds more (maby 41.29 on a really good day). I do not think i have sub 41 in me this year, but next year i think i do it.

Next up: Most likley a 10k race in 4 weeks which will be my last race for this year.

Fistwell

Fantastic work, Kev! Though I feel you shouldnt run hurt so much (says the guy running on a bum ankle), afraid it'll catch up with you. Outstanding effort to finish your first marathon, withstanding the pain, and right at 12Km/h too, exciting stuff!

My previous PB on that distance was 42.40 (from April this year), and yesterday i managed to finish on 41.51 so that´s officially a new PB for me!. I felt before the race that i realistically had sub 42 in me, so i think my estimation on what i can actually achieve is fairly good these days.

My strategy was to go out in a 4.12 tempo and keep it until 2-3 km was left and then try to go faster and give it my all (this race course/competition is totally flat the last 2 km). Felt really strong during the whole race and from km 8 to 9 i was down on 4.07 pace, and last km i manage to run on 3.52 pace.

Average pulse was 156 bpm during the race , with a short peak at 167 bpm in the end.

Had a very rough night before the race, with very bad and little sleep (maby nerves and excitement got me) so i think ideally i can shave of a few seconds more (maby 41.29 on a really good day). I do not think i have sub 41 in me this year, but next year i think i do it.

Next up: Most likley a 10k race in 4 weeks which will be my last race for this year.
Good job! Always a nice feeling to bag a PR, congrats!

panda-zebra

Fantastic work, Kev! Though I feel you shouldnt run hurt so much (says the guy running on a bum ankle), afraid it'll catch up with you. Outstanding effort to finish your first marathon, withstanding the pain, and right at 12Km/h too, exciting stuff!

Yep, I need rest now, need to get right and run happy again. Stupidly paid for expensive Manchester Half next weekend, not even going to wait and see on that one, just not doing it. Can't really afford all this time being broken and not out working haha.

Just spread it out as evenly as possible, like 5ish miles every Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday. You can eventually add an extra day of very light jogging for example on Sunday if you're looking to extend mileage. A 4rth day isnt necesary to break 1hr on 10K (see that plan here for example, which sticks to 3 days/week like you're doing), but it'd speed up the process. Obviously, up to you to know if you have the time and energy for it however.

Best of luck! You've come a long way already, dude, great work!

Edit: Man, for how slow I felt on Kms 8 and 9, 4:14 and 4:12 is actually pretty great. Starting to feel better about yesterday's run already. That felt super slow, like moving through mud. Excited to pick up training. Now to wait for the ankle to swell down...

Thats some good ideas, specially the slow 4th day. Thanks.

invo-8 or something. i was going to order some hoka one since i think they make wide feet shoes. unless anyone know of some.

also me and a friend signed up for a 5k on thanksgiving which should be fun.

Tried a number of hokas and i can savely say that wide feet and hoka do not match.

I don't have wide feet and i had problems with the fit.

I run in the new inov 8 trail talon and i like them very much.

I also run in the salomon s lab wings 8 and slab sense 5 ultra.

All very good shoes.

Edit: grammar

I failed in the London Marathon ballot (5th year running woo) but I was able to do the Royal Parks Half again yesterday so it's not all bad. I might look at Paris, Berlin or Manchester to finally get a full Marathon out of the way.

I was able to do sub 20 5k, sub 40 10k and sub 90 Half earlier this year but have had a bunch of injury problems since then so I'm just taking things easy at the moment. I had been stuck at 41-43 minutes ish for the 10k for a while but I switched to 80/20 running for a few weeks (80% of runs at a slow easy pace and 20% at a faster more race speed pace) and that made the difference and I saw changes really quickly. That's the type of approach and training I'd suggest to anyone else looking to break a barrier like that.

Tryed a number of hokas and i can savely say that wide feet and hoka do not match.

I don't have wide feet and i had problems with the fit.

I run in the new inov 8 trail talon and i like them very much.

I also run in the salomon s lab wings 8 and slab sense 5 ultra.

All very good shoes.
I'll look into those. thanks!

Any one do the Edinburgh Marathon, got a flyer in my "London Marathon Ballot Fail Pack", it's in May so not too hot yet:

https://www.edinburghmarathon.com/

Would still like to do a marathon in 2017, so I'm looking at other options now.

Berlin is a great option, too!

This one seems the best one though:
http://www.marathondumedoc.com/

Where: Pauillac near Bordeaux

When: September 2015

Why strange: A truly French event, the Marathon du Medoc offers runners the chance to sample a selection of vinos at the 23 wine tastings along the route. There are also opportunities to eat oyster, foie gras, cheese and ice cream. Well, it makes a change from boring old water, sports drinks and energy gels.

Participants are allowed up to 6hrs 30mins to complete the course. The condition they finish in rather depends on how enthusiastically they ‘refuel’.

Finishing a marathon in 3:30 with a hurt knee is remarkable. Can't wait to see your times when you are all healed up!

My previous PB on that distance was 42.40 (from April this year), and yesterday i managed to finish on 41.51 so that´s officially a new PB for me!.

*snip*

Congrats on that PB! That's a nice chunk of time you shaved off

I failed in the London Marathon ballot (5th year running woo) but I was able to do the Royal Parks Half again yesterday so it's not all bad. I might look at Paris, Berlin or Manchester to finally get a full Marathon out of the way.

Gemüsestäbchen;219766757 said:
Any one do the Edinburgh Marathon, got a flyer in my "London Marathon Ballot Fail Pack", it's in May so not too hot yet:

https://www.edinburghmarathon.com/

Would still like to do a marathon in 2017, so I'm looking at other options now.

May I suggest Barcelona? It's a mostly flat (you can't really avoid little ups and downs in the city) circuit with only a couple of serious uphills. Most importantly the organization is top notch and you get a fueling station every 2.5km

May I suggest Barcelona? It's a mostly flat (you can't really avoid little ups and downs in the city) circuit with only a couple of serious uphills. Most importantly the organization is top notch and you get a fueling station every 2.5km

Ah it's 12th March 2017, a week after Mardi Gras / Carnival, that's a party marathon that'd leave me in some non-runnable state :p

Another Chicago in the books. Right as i was about to start tapering 3 weeks back started to have knee trouble. Kinda sucked having to deal with it aching the whole race but what can u do. Started to get cramps mile 24 and backed off the pace. All in all can't complain about a 6 second PR with the circumstances. Next stop Boston and London next year!

Z1OzJvW.jpg

Another Chicago in the books. Right as i was about to start tapering 3 weeks back started to have knee trouble. Kinda sucked having to deal with it aching the whole race but what can u do. Started to get cramps mile 24 and backed off the pace. All in all can't complain about a 6 second PR with the circumstances. Next stop Boston and London next year!

Z1OzJvW.jpg

Still, damm good time!!

Congrats!

Not sure if I should carry on what I'm doing, which is 3 days a week run and taking the weekends off, or try and do every 2 days, which works out at 4 days a week ish.

I found being a bit flexible helps.

If you want to do every other day then go for it. 3 days a week should be fine though. Having a extra rest day is handy if you are still getting your legs up to snuff. Dont be afraid to rest.

When I first started constantly running during the summer and totally over did it with a mix of over running and bad form eventually my knees forced me to take a week or two off. Not nice when I had my first 10k booked and coming soon.

15 miles a week is fine if you are aiming for a sub hour 10k. I'd try break that up into a 6k run, 8k run and a 10k run per week. Try get your 5k under 30 minutes if it isnt already is a nice target to have as well. Doing that consistently is a nice base. If you can do that on your own on a regular solo run I think a sub hour 10k during a race with the added race day excitement will be a doddle.

Cyan

Banned
So I've been thinking since The_Inquisitor's recommendation a few weeks ago that it probably is about time for me to get a GPS watch. I've decided to bail on Nike+ since it's much more focused on presentation than actual information, and since it turns out to be possible albeit deliberately difficult to export my old data from the site. (What do most other folks use these days? Strava?)

I'm looking at something midrange rather than a full-on smart watch, maybe something like this guy: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016PAPI3W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I was looking at the TomTom Spark since it'd be nice to combine the GPS tracking with a music player and not have to still carry an iPod around, but from what I can find it's not great for audiobooks and podcasts since it doesn't save listening locations. It seems like a decent GPS watch with mediocre music functionality bolted on, and that's not really what I want.

Strongly considering just getting the Garmin watch and continuing to use an old iPod for listening to stuff. Any thoughts or anything I'm missing?

Top Bottom