• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone help clarify something that's been bothering me? What's the difference between kennen and wissen? IIRC, I was taught kennen is to know like know a person and wissen was for knowing a fact but it seems like wissen is never used and only kennen is. Like a book I'm reading the sentence was "Sie kennen den Trick ja aus eigener Erfahrung". Is kennen to know of something then? I'm just confused when you would ever use wissen when all I seem to ever see is kennen.

jarosh said:
yes, that is very very bad german. but it's also hilarious. we've been laughing our asses off over this note among friends and family. i can make sense of some parts, but others will forever remain a mystery. i think it was written by the janitor.

"Erstrickkeller" (like so many other words in that note) doesn't actually mean anything. the first part ("Erstrick") is a misspelling of "Estrich" (mostly used in switzerland for "attic"). and there is "Keller", which means "basement". now, why you would combine those two words into one, i have no idea. have YOU ever heard of an "attic basement"? since the note is on the top floor, i can only assume he's talking about the attic, not the basement or the "attic basement".

Maybe it's a haunted house? :O I would ask for a discount on your rent.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Kennen is like "to be able to recognize"; wissen is "to carry the knowledge of something". Maybe. Don't think there's an appreciable difference in English, could be wrong though.

jarosh said:
yes, that is very very bad german. but it's also hilarious. we've been laughing our asses off over this note among friends and family. i can make sense of some parts, but others will forever remain a mystery. i think it was written by the janitor.

"Erstrickkeller" (like so many other words in that note) doesn't actually mean anything. the first part ("Erstrick") is a misspelling of "Estrich" (mostly used in switzerland for "attic"). and there is "Keller", which means "basement". now, why you would combine those two words into one, i have no idea. have YOU ever heard of an "attic basement"? since the note is on the top floor, i can only assume he's talking about the attic, not the basement or the "attic basement".

Estrich könnte aber auch einfach der Bodenbelag sein, allerdings ist das Wort Keller im Zusammenhang mit dem 5. Stock seltsam ^^

wait is that note supposed to be unzusammenhängend, unnochvollziehbar? because what the fuck

btw, wie sagt man "is that supposed to be..."

Alpha-Bromega said:
wait is that note supposed to be unzusammenhängend, unnochvollziehbar? because what the fuck

btw, wie sagt man "is that supposed to be..."

Maybe something like "soll das sein..." There's probably a better way to say it though.

jarosh

Pisuke1983 said:
Estrich könnte aber auch einfach der Bodenbelag sein, allerdings ist das Wort Keller im Zusammenhang mit dem 5. Stock seltsam ^^
in switzerland "estrich" is only (and exclusively) used for "dachboden"/"attic". i think the guy for some reason must associate "keller" with storage and just assumes that the attic is a special kind of "keller" or something.

Alpha-Bromega said:
yeah, it's borderline gibberish.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Maybe something like "soll das sein..." There's probably a better way to say it though.
no, that's correct. "Soll das ein Mann sein?" = "is that supposed to be a man?"

jarosh said:
in switzerland "estrich" is only (and exclusively) used for "dachboden"/"attic". i think the guy for some reason must associate "keller" with storage and just assumes that the attic is a special kind of "keller" or something.

yeah, it's borderline gibberish.

no, that's correct. "Soll das ein Mann sein?" = "is that supposed to be a man?"

Sweet!
Zaraki_Kenpachi > Alpha-Bromega! :D

wsippel

Banned
Pisuke1983 said:
Our "Estrich" is called "Unterlagsboden" in Switzerland.

Does anyone know what "Wiegetritt" means? The girl at the university called like 5 people she works with and no one knew. We thought we had an idea by the end but it seems like no one has heard of it. The full sentence was " Da kamen von der Abzweigung der hinteren Zufahrt Dampfwalze und Andi im Wiegetritt dahergebraust"

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does anyone know what "Wiegetritt" means? The girl at the university called like 5 people she works with and no one knew. We thought we had an idea by the end but it seems like no one has heard of it. The full sentence was " Da kamen von der Abzweigung der hinteren Zufahrt Dampfwalze und Andi im Wiegetritt dahergebraust"
Wiegen -> to sway, to balance
Tritt -> treten -> to walk decisively (almost: to stomp (that would be stampfen))
=> swaying decisive walk

In this context, it's kind of a weird choice of words.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Oh, dude, are Dampfwalze and Andi on bikes? Because then, it makes total sense. It's the alternating kicking into the pedals that could be condensed into one word as "Wiegetritt".

wolfmat said:
Oh, dude, are Dampfwalze and Andi on bikes? Because then, it makes total sense. It's the alternating kicking into the pedals that could be condensed into one word as "Wiegetritt".
Ya, they're on bikes. So it just means they're pedaling really hard if you combine that with dahergebraust?

In dem Fall meinte sie es wahrscheinlich bezogen aufs Radfahren. Wiegetritt ist wenn man vom Sattel aufsteht und in die Pedalen tritt um zum Beispiel eine Erhöhung besser überwinden zu können.

stehen.jpg.2585053.jpg

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, they're on bikes. So it just means they're pedaling really hard if you combine that with dahergebraust?

"angedüst" würde ich eher sagen aber vielleicht ist das einfach auch eine regionale Sache.

LazyLoki

Pisuke1983 said:
In dem Fall meinte sie es wahrscheinlich bezogen aufs Radfahren. Wiegetritt ist wenn man vom Sattel aufsteht und in die Pedalen tritt um zum Beispiel eine Erhöhung besser überwinden zu können.

stehen.jpg.2585053.jpg

"angedüst" würde ich eher sagen aber vielleicht ist das einfach auch eine regionale Sache.
It's not regional, it's just dated.
We're probably talking about TKKG, which isn't exactly modern youth literature ;)
And the "Wiegen" part of "Wiegetritt" means that the bike itself Is swaying left and right because you alternately kick the pedals, as others already have said.

LazyLoki said:
It's not regional, it's just dated.
We're probably talking about TKKG, which isn't exactly modern youth literature ;)
And the "Wiegen" part of "Wiegetritt" means that the bike itself Is swaying left and right because you alternately kick the pedals, as others already have said.

It was only written in the 70s! It's not that old. :p

Dash27

Ich bin ein Berliner! Well not really, but I've been to Germany twice while my brother was stationed in Spangdahlem AFB and really enjoyed my time there. Good wine, beautiful countryside and an autobahn full of BMW's and Mercedes. What's not to like?

I think the only German I retained was counting to 10, 'Wasser kine gas' for flat water, and ausfart (heh, fart).

Dash27 said:
Ich bin ein Berliner! Well not really, but I've been to Germany twice while my brother was stationed in Spangdahlem AFB and really enjoyed my time there. Good wine, beautiful countryside and an autobahn full of BMW's and Mercedes. What's not to like?

I think the only German I retained was counting to 10, 'Wasser kein gas' for flat water, and ausfahrt (heh, fart).

;) And why are you a jelly donut?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Dash27 said:

I think the only German I retained was counting to 10, 'Wasser kine gas' for flat water, and ausfart (heh, fart).
Instead of "Wasser kein Gas", call it "Wasser ohne Kohlensäure", or maybe "Stilles Wasser" and hope you get lucky.

Why is another one of my classes in german now? >:| I was only supposed to take classes in english and now half my classes are in german... Mein Gehirn ist kaputt. :(

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Sickboy007 said:

yeah, that's a bit of a weird tourism ad. are they really that hard up to get people to come here for the winter? either way, that guy is a stone cold bad ass.

this ad is better. it's really cute and lighthearted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycUplM_GWsg

Dash27 said:

when we were driving around switzerland with my dad, he said "hey, ausfahrt must be a huge city. i keep seeing signs for it all over the place." hahaha :)

cloudwalking said:
yeah, that's a bit of a weird tourism ad. are they really that hard up to get people to come here for the winter? either way, that guy is a stone cold bad ass.

when we were driving around switzerland with my dad, he said "hey, ausfahrt must be a huge city. i keep seeing signs for it all over the place." hahaha :)

:lol There's like a million versions of jokes about all the ausfahrt signs.

cloudwalking said:

Das war viel besser! Die erste Werbung sah ein bisschen aus wie die parodischen Werbungen von Dänemark aus The Onion. Gott mein Deutsch ist so scheiss geworden, wie mein deutscher Lehrer immer sagte, 13 Jahre deutsche Schule, alles Quatsch.

Gala

Talked with a friend a couple of days ago about it. We laughed so hard about the good old days.

Anyway, I can't believe I want myGerman phonetics class back. I'm doing a AE phonetics class right now at university and it is so horrible. Who needs this shit? I won't use the IPA ever again in my life.

How is it for for our German learners? Do you enjoy German phonetics?

Gala said:
Talked with a friend a couple of days ago about it. We laughed so hard about the good old days.

Anyway, I can't believe I want myGerman phonetics class back. I'm doing a AE phonetics class right now at university and it is so horrible. Who needs this shit? I won't use the IPA ever again in my life.

How is it for for our German learners? Do you enjoy German phonetics?

phonetics as in the actual learning of the sounds? or studying in and of itself?

because learning the sounds is kind of shitty, learning light ch and hard ch sucks and i feel emberassed to say either. on and -ig, the Philosph professor definitely says them ISSHHH, Andreas Dorau says them like ich, and i just wanna die.

ä and eh have i still a problem with distinguishing, and yup that was definitely just german grammar showing up in the previous sentence. great

Kola

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
My german version of Der Herr der Ringe came today! :D

I don't know if it's just a rumour, but Tolkien was supposed to say he liked some of the translations of the German version even more than some English expressions.

Hallo German GAF

I just wanted to say that I love the German language, I am very fluent speaking it as well as reading it, writing it not so much since I don't live in any German speaking country.

I do however get to practice every day since I am married to a German woman, and while it's not the main language my wife and I use to communicate in, it is still the main language of my son who at his 2 and half years old is already bilingual.
I also try to read a good piece of German literature every now and then from Böll's Ansichten eines Clowns to Hesse's Der Steppenwolf (quite possible my favorite book ever).

German has taught me a lot, usually with short sentences yet so full of knowledge such as:

"Alles hat ein Ende nur die Wurst hat zwei" and "Die Sonne scheint mir auf den Bauch, so geht’s doch auch!"

2 nuggets full of knowledge right there :D

Omega man i can't wait to be at your level, maybe including a nice German woman as well :)

can yall give me a relative term used in the way of "this sucks!" like a situation that sucks, a game that sucks, having homework - that sucks!

I have a German girlfriend as well and I just started seriously learning German. I am going to Germany Dec 19th as well...will be in the West and East.

My GF is the best source and Rosetta Stone is working for me at the moment, though I have other tools to work with as well (like the military's training methods, flash cards, audio tapes, dictonary and grammar book).

The main thing is practicing Rosetta everyday for like 10-20 minutes and listening to audio tapes during my daily commute.

From Omega's words, I could obviously only make sense of very little of it.

Krelian

Alpha-Bromega said:
Omega man i can't wait to be at your level, maybe including a nice German woman as well :)

can yall give me a relative term used in the way of "this sucks!" like a situation that sucks, a game that sucks, having homework - that sucks!
If in doubt you can always use "scheiße":
Das ist (echt) scheiße. Scheiß Situation, scheiß Spiel, scheiß Hausaufgabe(n) :D

Also possible is "nerven" or "stinken": nervige Situation/die Situation stinkt. You get the idea. Stinkende Situation is not common though.

Nista

Just wanted to say, this is one of the best threads to lurk in.

I just started taking German classes once a week in October, so I can't really understand most of the conversations here without a liberal dose of Google Translate. So you guys are making great progress compared to mine!

My best friend (who is originally from Munich) said I sounded like I had a Bavarian accent. Not sure what to think about that...

Alpha-Bromega said:

well. having a girlfriend definitely helps you, it keeps you motivated :D

ssolitare said:
I have a German girlfriend as well and I just started seriously learning German. I am going to Germany Dec 19th as well...will be in the West and East.

you remind me when I started dating my wife ages ago, at first I wanted to learn German because I didn't know what the fuck was going on at her family reunions, what if they were talking about me? what were they saying?? arrrggggG!!!!!!! then I wanted to impress her and her parents, but then I really got into it, and not only ended up impressing her and her parents and relatives but I also ended up with an extra language in my repertoire, the "girlfriend" thing is always a good motivator, you are showing that you care for her cultural background and that's always a plus.

ich glaube, jene Methode (eine Freunde, die wird auch als eine Lehrerin benutzt) hat einen speziellen Name. so etwas wie 'langes haar Methode' :p

My best friend (who is originally from Munich) said I sounded like I had a Bavarian accent. Not sure what to think about that...

from what I've experienced, the Bavarians are the butt of a lot of jokes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom