• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bereit zu verlieren?

nederlands-elftal.jpg

:D

Nista

Alpha-Bromega said:
ich glaube, jene Methode (eine Freunde, die wird auch als eine Lehrerin benutzt) hat einen speziellen Name. so etwas wie 'langes haar Methode' :p

from what I've experienced, the Bavarians are the butt of a lot of jokes...

I think this comes from me rolling my Rs due to taking years of Japanese.

I guess I don't qualify for the "long hair method" since he's not my girlfriend. ;)

Milchjon

Dutch Patriot said:
Bereit zu verlieren?

nederlands-elftal.jpg

:D

No way. For the first time in more than a decade I'm completely convinced that our team is one of the best in the world.

Bavarians hate the "Preissen" (Prussians, basically an non-Bavarian) more than the other way around.

Milchjon said:
No way. For the first time in more than a decade I'm completely convinced that our team is one of the best in the world.

I believe you guys are in the upper echelon and this will be a great game, but you guys are not winning.

LazyLoki

Alpha-Bromega said:
ich glaube, jene Methode (eine Freunde, die wird auch als eine Lehrerin benutzt) hat einen speziellen Name. so etwas wie 'langes haar Methode' :p

Pah, everybody's just jealous of us.
It's ok, I can live with that :p

Nista said:
My best friend (who is originally from Munich) said I sounded like I had a Bavarian accent. Not sure what to think about that...

I'm sorry for you :D

Bayrisch ist kein Akzent, das ist ne Mundkrankheit :p

LazyLoki

Pisuke1983 said:
I'm sorry for you :D

Bayrisch ist kein Akzent, das ist ne Mundkrankheit :p
Obacht Birscherl, a Backal Watschn is glei aufgrissn!

Übersetzung: Vorsicht junger Freund, eine Packung Backpfeiffen ist gleich geöffnet!

LazyLoki

Ich find Fluchen und die Androhung von Gewalt hören sich im Bairischen einfach toller an als in andern Sprachen/Dialekten :D

Sabbel nich dat geit beter op platt.

Man muss den Bayern lassen das sie zumindest ihren Dialekt pflegen. Ich würde gerne richtig Platt sprechen. Mein Opa und Vater können es beide, ich nur ganz wenig :(

na ja, kann jemand mir erklären den Unterschied zwischen wenig und kaum?

ich verstehe in etwa, aber nicht wirklich.

könnte jemand auch zu überlegen versuchen, ein übersetzung von "literally"

ich kriege ja 'buchstäblich' und 'wörtlich' aber sie bedeuten zu spezifisch, ich meine mehr sowie;

"What? Where did you hear that from? I'm literally in Germany, I think i'd know if there was a reptilian invasion here"

"dude the guy is literally a doctor, you just browse fucking webMD during your freetime."

"dude, literally, never, have i seen this person before"

Es ist gar nicht 'eigentlich' oder sowas, it's etwas anders..

Kola

Pisuke1983 said:
Sabbel nich dat geit beter op platt.

Man muss den Bayern lassen das sie zumindest ihren Dialekt pflegen. Ich würde gerne richtig Platt sprechen. Mein Opa und Vater können es beide, ich nur ganz wenig :(

Sieh an, noch ein Bremer. Habe das Bremer Platt leider auch nie richtig gelernt, zum Glück haben sich aber noch einige Begriffe in die Alltagssprache gerettet, was einem aber auch erst auffällt, wenn man in anderen Regionen Deutschlands Unverständnis erntet. :)

Gala

Alpha-Bromega said:
"What? Where did you hear that from? I'm literally in Germany, I think i'd know if there was a reptilian invasion here"

"dude the guy is literally a doctor, you just browse fucking webMD during your freetime."

1. Was? Wo hast du das denn gehört? Ich bin (momentan/gerade) in Deutschland. Ich wüsste , wenn es hier eine Reptilien-Invasion geben würde.
(you can leave it out here, because the context makes it clear in German, I think)

2. Edit: See Kola.

3. Man, ich habe die Person/den Typen/ihn wirklich noch nie (in meinem Leben) gesehen.
("Wirklich" again.)

Kola

Alpha-Bromega said:
könnte jemand auch zu überlegen versuchen, ein übersetzung von "literally"

ich kriege ja 'buchstäblich' und 'wörtlich' aber sie bedeuten zu spezifisch, ich meine mehr sowie;

"Literally" is hard to translate I guess. It has alot of different nuances in English. "Tatsächlich", "im wahrsten Sinne des Wortes", "in Wirklichkeit/wirklich" may be options sometimes.

"Du surfst nur im Internet, er ist tatsächlich ein Doktor der Medizin [und weiss es daher besser]."

ach, ok. thank you bunches. it's such a hard word to translate i'm sure, as the nuances are quite subtle. but it's probably my most valued adverb in english, i can express so much with it.

it's probably in the same idea as doch, super useful in conveying nuances, but untranslatable.

jarosh

the only reason why "literally" is a hard word to translate is because it's been abused and misused in english, particularly in colloquial speech. even in the examples you've given, bromega, "literally" is not the best or most accurate choice. instead it stands in for a whole number of more appropriate words or phrases (and sometimes it should be dropped entirely, like in your first example). but like a lot of people, you're just using it as a fairly generic intensifier; it can usually be replaced with adverbs such as "really", "actually", "honestly", "truly" etc., in which case you're free to translate it with the appropriate german equivalent: "wirklich", "tatsächlich", "eigentlich" etc.

the only translation for the proper use of "literally" you need is "buchstäblich" or "wortwörtlich". these are direct equivalents and are used, just like in english, when you're concerned with the precise and explicit meaning of the word or expression, versus the metaphorical interpretation. so, if someone "literally breaks your heart" (somehow ripping it out of your chest and, uh, breaking it) versus "figuratively breaking your heart" (causing you heartache) it would always be translated directly with "buchstäblich" or "wortwörtlich".

well in my umgangssprach in my hometown we will actually usually add ridiculous intensifiers and exaggerations to everything. when i'd say, she 'literally broke my heart, fuck, performed a god damned operation with a bonesaw she did" . clearly my heart is still there, but it's a different subtlety to the thing than other intensifiers.

and 'literally literally' or 'literally literally literally' are used as basically (super) intensifiers as well. (dude, literally literally fifteen fucking times i went there, failed each god damn time time)

but your explanation of the fundamental semantics is true, i'll keep these in my head.

how would i simply say "i agree?" my roomate said "ich stimme zu" isn't really that common, and that more often "das ist meine meinung auch" is spoken.

jarosh

Alpha-Bromega said:
well in my umgangssprach in my hometown we will actually usually add ridiculous intensifiers and exaggerations to everything. when i'd say, she 'literally broke my heart, fuck, performed a god damned operation with a bonesaw she did" . clearly my heart is still there, but it's a different subtlety to the thing than other intensifiers.
you may say that and lots of other people do, but that doesn't change the fact that it's wrong :p

jarosh said:
you may say that and lots of other people do, but that doesn't change the fact that it's wrong :p

in context of a perceived standard dialect? sure. but luckily those exist only to create a standard between regional and cultural variations, ala Modern Standard Arabic, Hochdeutsch and so forth.

saying that someone speaks is 'wrong' despite whatever systematic differences in their manner of speaking isn't really 'right', so to say

Abonniert! :)

Edit: if Someone needs help with some German translation and/or structure or grammatic, Feel Free to write me a pm or in this thread.

Acrylamid

Alpha-Bromega said:
saying that someone speaks is 'wrong' despite whatever systematic differences in their manner of speaking isn't really 'right', so to say
I think it's just as wrong as saying "I could care less" when you really mean "I couldn't care less".
Why say "literally"when you mean literally the opposite of that?

Speaking of pet peeves in languages, I hate it when people answer the question "Did you mean this ironically?" with "No" when they really did.

So, in 30 Minuten geht's gegen Holland los, auf geht's!

Kola said:
Sieh an, noch ein Bremer. Habe das Bremer Platt leider auch nie richtig gelernt, zum Glück haben sich aber noch einige Begriffe in die Alltagssprache gerettet, was einem aber auch erst auffällt, wenn man in anderen Regionen Deutschlands Unverständnis erntet. :)

Haha ja das stimmt. Das ist mir aufgefallen als ich in Berlin war und die Leute mich erstaunt angesehen haben als ich sagte, dass ich noch mal eben um'n Pudding gehe :D

So ich habe viele Simpsons Episoden angeschaut und die Name des "sideshow Bob" ist "tingle tangle Bob"? Tingle tangle bedeutet sideshow? Ist es eine Redewendung? Ich glaube nicht dass ich Tangle sagen kann und es bedeutet "show". Diese Wörter beduetet nichts bei sich selbst, ja?

thy_

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So ich habe viele Simpsons Episoden angeschaut und die Name des "sideshow Bob" ist "tingle tangle Bob"? Tingle tangle bedeutet sideshow? Ist es eine Redewendung? Ich glaube nicht dass ich Tangle sagen kann und es bedeutet "show". Diese Wörter beduetet nichts bei sich selbst, ja?

It sort of does. (lautmalerisch = onomatopoeic)
Wikipedia said:
Nach Otto Ladendorfs Historischem Schlagwörterbuch (1906) ist der Begriff lautmalerisch nach dem Klang von Schlagzeuginstrumenten gebildet (vergleiche dazu auch den Eintrag im Wörterbuch der Brüder Grimm[2]). Er stamme aus dem Berlin der 1870er Jahre. Ein Zusammenhang besteht ferner mit dem Wort tingeln (als Künstler durch die Provinz ziehen). Laut Meyers Großem Konversations-Lexikon von 1909 erhielten die Tingeltangel „angeblich ihren Namen nach dem Gesangskomiker Tange, der im Triangelbau sein lange populär gebliebenes Triangellied zum besten gab“. Nach andern Quellen wäre das Wort Tingeltangel in diesem Zusammenhang zuerst in Hamburg (dem Dorado der Tingeltangel) aufgetaucht.[3]
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tingeltangel

Phantast2k said:
"Es macht (überhaupt) keinen Sinn" is better since it utilizes Sinn (sense).
"Es geht nicht" is sort of like: it doesn't work.

Also check out this song & try to understand the (not very) subtle message :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7hDODveatE

Ah, ok. Das ist was ich habe gedacht aber ich war nicht sicher.

Edit: Ok, after watching that I have another question. How would you say something along the lines of "What the fuck did I just watch?"

wsippel

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Edit: Ok, after watching that I have another question. How would you say something along the lines of "What the fuck did I just watch?"
"Was zur Hölle war das?" for example. "What the hell was that?", basically.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ah, ok. Das ist was ich habe gedacht aber ich war nicht sicher.

Bwahahahaha. Uh, probably something along the lines of:
"Was zur Hölle habe ich da gerade gesehen?"
"Was war das denn für ein Scheiß?"

"Hey du, ich hol dir einen runter" [Hey you, I'm gonna fetch you one..] But it also means I'm going to jerk you off -> runter holen [jerking off]
Einen Stern, von ganz fern. [A star from far away] So that's where they dodge the bullet, lol

Eurotechno was pretty big in Germany/mainland Europe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maSCDZPGMCU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SwlqFc8RHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wSr7h_pjxs

Educate yourself! (or don't, lol)

wsippel said:
Not really, no. Nothing that universal.

Bah. :( It just doesn't feel like it has the same impact when I use hell. :( Oddly enough, a lot of the university students switch to english to curse it seems unless they use something like scheisse. It's funny to me to hear a bunch of german and then all of a sudden "Fuck!".

Phantast2k said:
Bwahahahaha. Uh, probably something along the lines of:
"Was zur Hölle habe ich da gerade gesehen?"
"Was war das denn für ein Scheiß?"

"Hey du, ich hol dir einen runter" [Hey you, I'm gonna fetch you one..] But it also means I'm going to jerk you off -> runter holen [jerking off]
Einen Stern, von ganz fern. [A star from far away] So that's where they dodge the bullet, lol

Eurotechno was pretty big in Germany/mainland Europe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maSCDZPGMCU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SwlqFc8RHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wSr7h_pjxs

Educate yourself! (or don't, lol)

Haha, it's just kind of weird because it's something that was never really in the US but it's such a stereotypical european style of music. It still just sounds so weird to me as an american since we never had it here. Or at least none that I ever heard of. And ya, I thought it was something like that but I was afraid my mind was just in the gutter. :p

wsippel

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Bah. :( It just doesn't feel like it has the same impact when I use hell. :( Oddly enough, a lot of the university students switch to english to curse it seems unless they use something like scheisse. It's funny to me to hear a bunch of german and then all of a sudden "Fuck!".
I use "fuck" as well. Sometimes.

I've got another question about something that's been bothering me. When I go shopping on German websites you can sort things and one way is Preis absteigend and Preis aufsteigend. Why is absteigend the highest and aufsteigend the lowest? I can sort of understand it now auf it like being on something so it would be the bottom but why wouldn't ab? Isn't ab sort of used in the same way? Like abfahren, is "to depart, to leave" it's like your starting point. The couple times I've seen ab it seems to imply the beginning or start of something and it just always confused why when I clicked that it was always most expensive to least expensive.

jarosh

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I've got another question about something that's been bothering me. When I go shopping on German websites you can sort things and one way is Preis absteigend and Preis aufsteigend. Why is absteigend the highest and aufsteigend the lowest? I can sort of understand it now auf it like being on something so it would be the bottom but why wouldn't ab? Isn't ab sort of used in the same way? Like abfahren, is "to depart, to leave" it's like your starting point. The couple times I've seen ab it seems to imply the beginning or start of something and it just always confused why when I clicked that it was always most expensive to least expensive.
absteigend = decreasing\descending
aufsteigend = increasing\ascending

if you pick "absteigend" you obviously start with the HIGHEST value first and then go down one by one (decreasing). if you pick "aufsteigend" you start with the LOWEST value and then go up one by one (increasing). pretty straightforward. it's the same in english. "ab" does stand for "down", as in "counting DOWN" and "auf" stands for "up", as in "counting UP".

edit: maybe it helps to understand that "steigen" literally means "to climb" or "to rise". in combination with "auf" or "ab" it indicates motion in the respective direction. if you climb UP (aufsteigen) you obviously start at the bottom and if you climb DOWN (absteigen) you obviously start at the top.

jarosh said:
absteigend = decreasing\descending
aufsteigend = increasing\ascending

if you pick "absteigend" you obviously start with the HIGHEST value first and then go down one by one (decreasing). if you pick "aufsteigend" you start with the LOWEST value and then go up one by one (increasing). pretty straightforward. it's the same in english. "ab" does stand for "down", as in "counting DOWN" and "auf" stands for "up", as in "counting UP".

edit: maybe it helps to understand that "steigen" literally means "to climb" or "to rise". in combination with "auf" or "ab" it indicates motion in the respective direction. if you climb UP (aufsteigen) you obviously start at the bottom and if you climb DOWN (absteigen) you obviously start at the top.

Bah, I feel stupid now. I wasn't thinking of it in that sense. That makes perfect sense now, thanks. :D

Edit: Ya, I never really knew that ab and auf were used in that context to show motion going up or down.

it's weird not being able to use fuck in it's wide, wide variety of useage. i'm fuck you you fucking mother fuck of a fucker

i mean that's a complete sentence!

Alpha-Bromega said:
it's weird not being able to use fuck in it's wide, wide variety of useage. i'm fuck you you fucking mother fuck of a fucker

Pretty much this. I miss being able to go on a rant like that. :(

Patrick Bateman said:
I think "Scheiße" gets used in quite a similar way. Fits most "situations". :|
Ya, but it seems the same as saying what the hell was that and what the fuck was that. In english at least it just doesn't have that same degree of intensity as saying "fuck". :(

I've also been debating buying a kindle so I can read german books when I go back to the US... Not sure if I should though.

jarosh

well, there's always "verfickt" if you want. can replace "fucking" in most cases. for added effect combine with "scheisse" (i'm sorry, we don't do the ß in switzerland), as in: "verfickte Scheisse!"

jarosh said:
well, there's always "verfickt" if you want. can replace "fucking" in most cases. for added effect combine with "scheisse" (i'm sorry, we don't do the ß in switzerland), as in: "verfickte Scheisse!"

:D Sounds good. Now I'm learning the important words. :p

snap0212

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Pretty much this. I miss being able to go on a rant like that. :(

Ya, but it seems the same as saying what the hell was that and what the fuck was that. In english at least it just doesn't have that same degree of intensity as saying "fuck". :(
Well, there are lots and lots of swear words in German as well. It's not like in the US/in English where "fuck" always fits but there's plenty of ways to express anger.

You could combine "Scheiße" with other words as well. Something doesn't have to be Scheiße, it could also be "Mistscheiß", for example. Scheiß Mistscheiß would work as well. Though I'm not sure you'd want to use these words. :D

snap0212 said:
Well, there are lots and lots of swear words in German as well. It's not like in the US/in English where "fuck" always fits but there's plenty of ways to express anger.

You could combine "Scheiße" with other words as well. Something doesn't have to be Scheiße, it could also be "Mistscheiß", for example. Scheiß Mistscheiß would work as well. Though I'm not sure you'd want to use these words. :D

I'll just use them when I'm drinking. I've gotta learn the vocabulary. ;)

Gustav

Banned
Alpha-Bromega said:

You could always say something like: Verschissene Scheisse, du zugeschissenes Stück Scheisse.

jarosh said:

"Verfickte Hurenscheiße!" is even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom